ImageImageImage

What happens if we keep our 1st round pick?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

What happens if we keep our 1st round pick? 

Post#1 » by Soupman » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:49 am

What do we do with the pick?
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Re: What happens if we keep our 1st round pick? 

Post#2 » by wolfram » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:27 am

Draft a player.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,831

Post#3 » by dirkforpres » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:40 am

Depends on where in the top 4 it lands. I would never trade the Zion pick.. I can’t even think of a package any team could offer to make me trade that pick. Pick 2 is possibly tradeable but RJ Barrett would be a good fit if we plan on having Luka be PG going forward too. Everything past pick 2 Should be available to the highest bidder. Not a fan of this class at all and if we can get a player like AD (unlikely) or Beal, we should jump at the chance
FIRE JASON KIDD
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Post#4 » by Captain_Obvious » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:02 pm

Our odds are 34.5% now. I think about if it happens, I assume we lose the pick.

But even with the worst record, the odds would be just 52.1% to keep the pick. It's just crazy you see Knicks fans talk about Zion... The odds are slim for everyone.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#5 » by arkuo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:36 pm

My best guess:

If we land the number 1 pick, we draft Zion hands down.

Picking number 2 is tricky because I dont think we have a pressing need for Ja Morant or RJ Barrett. Personally I would trade down to a team like PHX. Something like #3 pick + Mikal Bridges for the #2.

If we get 3 to 5, then Im pretty sold on Cam Reddish moving forward. I do think he has the highest ceiling of the top 5 players in the draft. Just talking about ceiling alone. He isnt a finished project and neither is Luka. If he somehow turns his 6'9 frame into a Paul George in 4 years then we struck gold.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:50 pm

IN my personal, unbiased opinion...I think you should just give it to Atlanta anyway.

Get that obligation out of the way. :biggrin:

Just kidding. Obviously, you'd keep the #1 pick and take Zion. Beyond that, it's a really intriguing question. If you get #3 or #4, it wouldn't be completely unheard of to trade it for a veteran in his prime on a long term contract.

Bradley Beal comes to mind. Beyond that, DeAndre Hunter seems like a solid fit alongside Luka and Kristaps. Jarrett Culver could make a nice role player that could be easily traded in a few seasons.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#7 » by Apz » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:20 pm

My opinion. 1 or 2, zion and RJ I would keep. If possible to get 2 picks 4-10 I would maybe consider it for RJ pick. I could see us keep 3-4, mostly because its good players under decent contracts for a long time. But Wouldnt mind giving 3-4 up if some want to trade up if the pay is good.

Dont get me wrong, I like harris and dirk and so on, but with our young core we kinda need to move on now when we got luka and porz. Say we could land 6 and 9 for 3rd or something like that, I would be all for it. Sure, worse quality but players surprises u every year. Getting 2 on cheaper contracts but good upside, give kostas more time, luka, porz, brunson, jackson and so on and let them just play full out to win next year. Get Dirk back as some kind of player/shooting coach, a spot for jj when he get back as veteran presence. Think it would be ok. Loved first half of the season, watched every game pretty much. Its harder now when I kinda dont want us to win but still want the young guns to do good.
Dundalis
Senior
And1: 543

Post#8 » by Dundalis » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:46 am

dirkforpres wrote:Depends on where in the top 4 it lands. I would never trade the Zion pick.. I can’t even think of a package any team could offer to make me trade that pick. Pick 2 is possibly tradeable but RJ Barrett would be a good fit if we plan on having Luka be PG going forward too. Everything past pick 2 Should be available to the highest bidder. Not a fan of this class at all and if we can get a player like AD (unlikely) or Beal, we should jump at the chance

I don't think Barrett is a good fit with Luka at all. The ideal running mate with Luka is a highly efficient shooter whom is elite off the ball and doesn't require the ball in his hands to be successful. Barrett is the opposite of that. And he's an ok but not particularly great defender.

I trade anything 2-4 for either Bradley Beal, if we can work it or trade down for future picks to pick DeAndre Hunter lower in the top 10. Beal is also ball dominant, but he's efficiency 2 seasons ago when he wasn't required to be first option was 60% TS with 40% 3P. He's not a great defender either, but he's around average and could be better if he doesn't have to expend all his energy on offense.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,859

Post#9 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:49 am

Then we'd have the awful luxury of having a top 5 pick alongside max cap space to go with our Luka/KP duo. I'd be ok with that.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,564

Post#10 » by jpengland » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:01 am

If we end up with 3 or 4?

Trade.

3 or 4
Powell
Courtney Lee

For

Orlando first
Aaron Gordon

Draft Culver (smart, two way, high floor).

Still have about 30m cap space to go after another starter or two.

Resign Kleber, Barea and DFS once you've utilised cap space.

Free Agent (Walker, Thompson, Middleton, Russell)
Doncic
DFS
Aaron Gordon
KP

Kleber
Culver
THJ
Barea
Kyle OQuinn
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#11 » by Teffer10 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:03 pm

If we draft #2 or lower I'd like to see the Mavs try to make a deal for Beal.
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,632

Post#12 » by oldshoolballer » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:15 am

I like Hunter I think he would be a good pick
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#13 » by burek3 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:42 am

1. Zion
2. Morant
3. Barrett
4. ??? Reddish?
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Post#14 » by juanc » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:09 pm

If the Mavs get the 4th pick I would love them to pick one of Culver/Hunter, who I think would be great next to Doncic.

If they get the 2nd or 3rd pick I think the best would be to trade that pick. Neither of Morant and Barret is a good defensive player and are terible next to Luka/KP IMO.

If they get Zion... Well that's a different story. I think a trio of Luka-Zion-KP is a match made in heaven. They fit really well IMO.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#15 » by arkuo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:11 pm

If we're lucky to get the 4th pick, I'd send that pick to Orlando along with Courtney Lee for Aaron Gordon.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#16 » by fuller4379 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:42 pm

Top four pick would eat up around $6 million if cap space. At that point, you hope Powell will opt out so you have enough to sign a max player.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#17 » by daoneandonly » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:02 pm

If we don't get the #1 but still keep the pick, see if you can trade it to Miami for Bam Adebayo and the #15th pick. Bam would be a great fit next to Zinger.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,831

Post#18 » by dirkforpres » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:09 pm

daoneandonly wrote:If we don't get the #1 but still keep the pick, see if you can trade it to Miami for Bam Adebayo and the #15th pick. Bam would be a great fit next to Zinger.

Seems like we are selling low if that’s all we get back. I would ask for Winslow too and for them to take Courtney Lee
FIRE JASON KIDD
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#19 » by daoneandonly » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:17 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:If we don't get the #1 but still keep the pick, see if you can trade it to Miami for Bam Adebayo and the #15th pick. Bam would be a great fit next to Zinger.

Seems like we are selling low if that’s all we get back. I would ask for Winslow too and for them to take Courtney Lee

I dont think Miami would do that. Bam has come alive recently, but yeah not worth a top 5 pick, which is why I thought the 15th pick would close the gap. We'd be set at PG-PF-C for the foreseeable future, draft BPA at 15, and try to find the right SG to pair with Luka via FA, maybe a Pat Beverly or someone.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#20 » by arkuo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:13 pm

Pat Riley will not strike a deal with Mark Cuban in this lifetime.

The guy thinks he's a mob boss doing business in his stock room office.

Return to Dallas Mavericks