ImageImageImage

Do we sign Demarcus Cousins in the off-season?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,982

Re: Do we sign Demarcus Cousins in the off-season? 

Post#21 » by daoneandonly » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:14 pm

arkuo wrote:Cousins at like $15M which is less than what Clint Capela is making will be very attractive to NBA GMs. Anything more might be risky. There will be some teams who may be willing to take on that risk though.

If Cuban wants Cousins anchoring the paint for us, maybe we give him the full (over the cap) MLE first at $9M as a prove you're healthy type of deal. Then if he does prove his health, then we can give him a bigger contract ($15M) next year when Courtney Lee expires.

So the plan can basically be:
A) Sign Kemba
B) Sign DFS and Maxi back
C) Give Cousins a prove yourself type of deal via the over the cap MLE

C- Cousins / Powell
PF- Porzingis / Kleber
SF- Doncic / Jackson
SG- DFS / THJ
PG- Kemba / Brunson / Burke

That team would allow close to 130, if not more points a game. I know offense and getting buckets is important, but defense matters too
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#22 » by Pointguard01 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:33 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
jpengland wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
I don’t disagree that KP is our “center” but the guy at PF needs to be able to guard PFs. And they need to put pressure on the rim.

The guy next to KP really needs to be versatile to guard 4s and 5s. You aren’t getting the perfect fit, so I’d take a rum runner over a 3 point shooter. Esp bc I think it’s easier to find that who can also rebound and play defense than a shooter.

Also, a rim runner should open up the 3 pointer for KP as much as another 3point shooter. We need someone that puts pressure on the paint.

KP on the block and Luka on the drive puts enough pressure on defending the rim.

We need spacing to allow KP and Luka to do their thing. I agree they need to guard 4s, but how many bully buy 4s are going to abuse us?

Spacing and switchibility are the keys.

Who do you guys think fit the bill for said PF?

Zion Williamson, Al Hordford, Paul Milsap, Draymond Green, Jaren Jackson.

Physical player who can move his feet on the perimeter, is a really good rebounder, and is a PF/C tweeter that can guard both.

Obviously, only Milsap and Horford are “realistically” available, assuming both options are used (team and player options) and become free agents. Neither are on the right timeline for our core, but that’s the type of player I want.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#23 » by BlueSan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:51 pm

No for many reasons
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#24 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:30 pm

A younger Vucevic would be a better option if his price is lower due to his playoff performance sucking. Rebounds well enough and would be a third option here behind KP and Luka. The thing about Vucevic is he was the lead guy in Orlando and the Raptors focused on stopping him from scoring if anyone does that here then Luka and KP will kill them so I don't see that strategy doing anyone any good if we gamble on taking him on.

Brunson and Jackson are the most likely 2 starters that inherit the other positions if not THJ. Ryan could develop more and become a part of the rotation. Burke if he is back would be nice off the bench and JJB is obviously family enough that we can pencil him in.

DFS and Kleber might not remain if the roster and cap space play out this way. We may need to look at replacing their contributions from other free agents. Hopefully nobody tries to snag them away.

Word is Powell is viewed as a keeper and he may get an extension. I hope that is not true. Draft wise I hope we go for a big like Udo or Jontay.

Possible lineups with Luka at a different position from SF to SG and then PG
Vucevic Powell Mejri
KP Kleber Kostas
Luka Jackson DFS
THJ Ryan _________
Brunson Burke Barea

Vucevic Powell Mejri
KP Kleber Kostas
Jackson DFS _______
Luka THJ Ryan
Brunson Burke Barea

Vucevic Powell Mejri
KP Kleber Kostas
Jackson DFS
THJ Ryan _______
Luka Brunson Burke Barea

Assuming there are some departures is normal but what else does this team need. The biggest hole will be wherever Luka is not playing so we can just go after the BPA 1 through 3.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,982

Post#25 » by daoneandonly » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:39 pm

SOUNDCHASER wrote:A younger Vucevic would be a better option if his price is lower due to his playoff performance sucking. Rebounds well enough and would be a third option here behind KP and Luka. The thing about Vucevic is he was the lead guy in Orlando and the Raptors focused on stopping him from scoring if anyone does that here then Luka and KP will kill them so I don't see that strategy doing anyone any good if we gamble on taking him on.

Brunson and Jackson are the most likely 2 starters that inherit the other positions if not THJ. Ryan could develop more and become a part of the rotation. Burke if he is back would be nice off the bench and JJB is obviously family enough that we can pencil him in.

DFS and Kleber might not remain if the roster and cap space play out this way. We may need to look at replacing their contributions from other free agents. Hopefully nobody tries to snag them away.

Word is Powell is viewed as a keeper and he may get an extension. I hope that is not true. Draft wise I hope we go for a big like Udo or Jontay.

Possible lineups with Luka at a different position from SF to SG and then PG
Vucevic Powell Mejri
KP Kleber Kostas
Luka Jackson DFS
THJ Ryan _________
Brunson Burke Barea

Vucevic Powell Mejri
KP Kleber Kostas
Jackson DFS _______
Luka THJ Ryan
Brunson Burke Barea

Vucevic Powell Mejri
KP Kleber Kostas
Jackson DFS
THJ Ryan _______
Luka Brunson Burke Barea

Assuming there are some departures is normal but what else does this team need. The biggest hole will be wherever Luka is not playing so we can just go after the BPA 1 through 3.

Vuc is a terrible fit with Zinger, not sure how any one cold want him, especially after he laid egg after egg in the postseason. The guy's contract will be toxic after the 1st month of the season begins.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#26 » by Pointguard01 » Sat May 4, 2019 4:42 pm

I agree about Vuc (see better options above) but I also think getting an asset this offseason is important.

Now, I personally would take on a 1-year deal that is a bad contract (Evan Turner, Ian Mahimni, Tim Mozgov, etc) and get a 1st rounder than invest in the wrong player, but adding an asset is critical this offseason. Vuc has his downfalls and he isn’t my Plan A, but adding him and leveraging for a future trade isn’t off the table for me. It is low on the list if Plan A, B and C (etc) fall through.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#27 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri May 10, 2019 3:08 pm

Vuc is the best center in free agency by far there is nothing else close to him available in free agency. That being said I would of course much rather get a K series player.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#28 » by babyjax13 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Honestly I think Richaun Holmes would have a bigger positive impact with your team as constructed than Cousins would.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 934

Post#29 » by tleikheen » Sun May 12, 2019 6:00 am

Who played next to Porzingis in New York when he tore the ACL....Enes Kanter

Porzingis doesn't want to play Center and take a beating in the paint and Kanter is in a good spot with Portland BUT can they pay him as he enters his prime years.
All the fans want rim runners /big shot blockers but besides Giannis and Embiid the elite teams don't have centers like this. Kanter and Porzingis match up nicely in the frontcourt.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#30 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Dude, please, no. Don't want that guy at all. Injury prone, turnovers, fouls, chunky, bad attitude, and will be 29 next year.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#31 » by Darren » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:21 pm

Cousins deserves the current contract for sure. But not even good enough for Powell's contract.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:38 pm

tleikheen wrote:Who played next to Porzingis in New York when he tore the ACL....Enes Kanter

Porzingis doesn't want to play Center and take a beating in the paint and Kanter is in a good spot with Portland BUT can they pay him as he enters his prime years.
All the fans want rim runners /big shot blockers but besides Giannis and Embiid the elite teams don't have centers like this. Kanter and Porzingis match up nicely in the frontcourt.

A rim-runner and lane-cutter type of player would be dope!

But I see your point. However, Kanter is terrible on defense, and that Knicks squad didn't amount to much. Draft a guy in the 2nd round, and/or go after DeAndre Jordan or Vucevic. I guess that means you gotta keep guys like Dwight Powell and Kleber around, but maybe you can swing a trade for Capela.

Julius Randle would be a nice complement to KP, and MAYBE Dewayne Dedmon gets a call from the Mavs.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 830

Post#33 » by Teffer10 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:14 pm

Just take Tacko Fall in the draft and develop him and Kostas. Powell and Maxi will get re-signed and we have Salah for some insurance. We can always pick up a center at TDL if needed as they are a dime a dozen these days.
turcorox911
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#34 » by turcorox911 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:42 am

Teffer10 wrote:Just take Tacko Fall in the draft and develop him and Kostas. Powell and Maxi will get re-signed and we have Salah for some insurance. We can always pick up a center at TDL if needed as they are a dime a dozen these days.

TDL?
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 830

Post#35 » by Teffer10 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:22 pm

turcorox911 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Just take Tacko Fall in the draft and develop him and Kostas. Powell and Maxi will get re-signed and we have Salah for some insurance. We can always pick up a center at TDL if needed as they are a dime a dozen these days.

TDL?

Trade Dead Line
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:37 pm

Why not sign one for the vet min though?
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:39 pm

Also, what if KCMO got an NBA team, would you root for them over the Mavs?

Return to Dallas Mavericks