Trading For Andrew Wiggins: Give Up THJ + Lee

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Trading For Andrew Wiggins: Give Up THJ + Lee 

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:04 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yyldtk3z

Trade Machine says the Mavs improve by 1 win and that they'd also save $6 million against the cap.

Wiggins just turned 24 this year and isn't what we thought he'd be, but maybe a change of scenery, playing with Luka + KP, and being coached by Carlisle can help him improve some more.

Then take that extra $6 million and use it on FAs like Julius Randle and maybe even DLo if he becomes available.

DLo/Brunson
Luka/Broekhoff
Wiggins/Justin Jackson
Randle/Dwight Powell
KP/Powell

Obviously I'd like the team to then sign some other FAs to fill out the rest of the rotation. I'd be more than happy with bringing back JJ Barea and Devin Harris, and would like to bring back Kleber too as well.

Take best player available at #37 (ideally a rim runner), and maybe Mejri can come back for the min or something. If not, then I hope Kostas and Macon can get some playing time in 2019-2020.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Re: Trading For Andrew Wiggins: Give Up THJ + Lee 

Post#2 » by dirkforpres » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:09 pm

I’m thinking no because it screws us in the Giannis sweepstakes. Minnesota would have to sweeten the pot quite quite a bit to get out from under that albatross
FIRE JASON KIDD
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:39 pm

dirkforpres wrote:I’m thinking no because it screws us in the Giannis sweepstakes. Minnesota would have to sweeten the pot quite quite a bit to get out from under that albatross

Not sure if serious, so I'll have to ask. Are the Mavs actually thinking about signing Giannis?
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#4 » by dirkforpres » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:48 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:I’m thinking no because it screws us in the Giannis sweepstakes. Minnesota would have to sweeten the pot quite quite a bit to get out from under that albatross

Not sure if serious, so I'll have to ask. Are the Mavs actually thinking about signing Giannis?

Without a doubt. That’s likely the only reason why they agreed to take on Hardaway... he expires prior to the Giannis sweepstakes.

But multiple other reasons as well (the rumored interest in Middleton/Brogdon, drafting Kostas, etc) all point to that one conclusion
FIRE JASON KIDD
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:50 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

Without a doubt. That’s likely the only reason why they agreed to take on Hardaway... he expires prior to the Giannis sweepstakes.

But multiple other reasons as well (the rumored interest in Middleton/Brogdon, drafting Kostas, etc) all point to that one conclusion

Whelp, I hope Giannis can improve his shooting and post moves then.

Well I guess I want that regardless since I was hoping the Bucks would beat the Warriors this year, but I enjoyed the Championship run by the Raptors
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:40 pm

Making this trade (if Minnesota would accept it), would save the Mavs around $6 million in cap space. That's cap space they could use on DLo and Julius Randle if both are available.
turcorox911
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#7 » by turcorox911 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:05 am

Maybe do THJ for Wiggins and a pick (or multiple 2nd round picks) if the TWolves are desperate enough to clear up cap space for DLo.

Then Mavs waive/stretch Lee (or trade him if they can find a taker), and offer Brogdon the max. If not Brogdon, then target PBev and Julius Randle.
turcorox911
Sophomore

Post#8 » by turcorox911 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:34 am

Nevermind, misunderstood what the TWolves want in a Wiggins deal.

Maybe take his salary on, waive/stretch Lee, then give everything they have left to PBev. And maybe they can use the room exception on Ariza or something like that.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#9 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:07 am

I wouldnt want to make that trade.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
turcorox911
Sophomore

Post#10 » by turcorox911 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:24 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:I wouldnt want to make that trade.

Same. Just decided to throw that out there anyway though.

I'd love to see Carlisle work with Wiggins, but the Mavs are better off without him right now for sure.

If they strike out on their board of 15 FAs, then they can explore a Wiggins trade.

Return to Dallas Mavericks