ImageImageImage

Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1)

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

Mr B
Head Coach
And1: 1,445

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#801 » by Mr B » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:40 am

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:Haven’t seen any of you talking about this. Seems Mavs are willing to take on money this off season if it lands them a 3rd Star.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be willing to take on Myles Turner's contract if it means we get Victor Oladipo back. At worst Oladipo is still an expiring contract in 2021. At best he can be a defensive backcourt running mate for Luka. Send Indy THJ + Kleber + Curry and a bunch of draft picks for rebuilding around TJ Warren, Brogdon and Sabonis.

C- Porzingis
PF- Turner
SF- DFS
SG- Oladipo
PG- Doncic

I would absolutely do that. Dino’s health does concern me but he’s an upgrade over THJ. What exactly is Turner’s game like? I don’t see a lot of Pacers games. How is his defense?

arkuo
Lead Assistant
And1: 626

Post#802 » by arkuo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 am

Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:Haven’t seen any of you talking about this. Seems Mavs are willing to take on money this off season if it lands them a 3rd Star.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I'd be willing to take on Myles Turner's contract if it means we get Victor Oladipo back. At worst Oladipo is still an expiring contract in 2021. At best he can be a defensive backcourt running mate for Luka. Send Indy THJ + Kleber + Curry and a bunch of draft picks for rebuilding around TJ Warren, Brogdon and Sabonis.

C- Porzingis
PF- Turner
SF- DFS
SG- Oladipo
PG- Doncic

I would absolutely do that. Dino’s health does concern me but he’s an upgrade over THJ. What exactly is Turner’s game like? I don’t see a lot of Pacers games. How is his defense?

Turner is a 3&D PF/C. So he actually will complement KP with KP standing outside most of the time.
Mr B
Head Coach

Post#803 » by Mr B » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:55 pm

I know the ultimate goal is to sign Giannis as a free agent in 2021 however I would HATE for them to make the same mistake with this team that they did when Dirk was still playing. “Keeping the powder dry”. Yes I want Giannis and I want them to have the cap space to even have a chance at signing him however they need to improve this team any chance they get. In my opinion they won’t NEED Giannis to get to a title. There are other players out there (through trade) that also fit Mavs needs that can vastly improve this team.

arkuo
Lead Assistant

Post#804 » by arkuo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:29 pm

Mr B wrote:I know the ultimate goal is to sign Giannis as a free agent in 2021 however I would HATE for them to make the same mistake with this team that they did when Dirk was still playing. “Keeping the powder dry”. Yes I want Giannis and I want them to have the cap space to even have a chance at signing him however they need to improve this team any chance they get. In my opinion they won’t NEED Giannis to get to a title. There are other players out there (through trade) that also fit Mavs needs that can vastly improve this team.

Yeah I feel the same way. If not Giannis, and assuming Miami signs Giannis in 2021, I'd like for the Mavs to sign Duncan Robinson as Miami wont have any money left after signing Giannis and Adebayo to max contracts while giving Jimmy Butler his own max deal. obviously not for max money, but similar to what Powell, Kleber and Seth Curry got.

The spacing that Robinson provided in the Finals tells me that you may be able to squeeze more offense out of KP and Luka. Just have them master the P&R like Dirk and Nash.
JD45
Head Coach
And1: 33

Post#805 » by JD45 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:03 pm

Its going to be difficult to wait for Giannis.

I am assuming they don't already have some sort of under the table understanding in place. So, in that case, they just have a chance at getting him, not a guarantee. If they keep cap space and sign Giannis as a free agent, I predict they contend for the next 10 years and win 5 championships. But what are the odds of getting Giannis? If it is 10%, I would probably look to add another star now if the price was right and lose cap space flexibility. If its 50% of getting Giannis, then I go for max cap space and just tread water this year. It might make Luka unhappy, but even without Giannis, there could be other talent available either as outright free agent or from another team dumping salaries.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
arkuo
Lead Assistant

Post#806 » by arkuo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:27 pm

JD45 wrote:Its going to be difficult to wait for Giannis.

I am assuming they don't already have some sort of under the table understanding in place. So, in that case, they just have a chance at getting him, not a guarantee. If they keep cap space and sign Giannis as a free agent, I predict they contend for the next 10 years and win 5 championships. But what are the odds of getting Giannis? If it is 10%, I would probably look to add another star now if the price was right and lose cap space flexibility. If its 50% of getting Giannis, then I go for max cap space and just tread water this year. It might make Luka unhappy, but even without Giannis, there could be other talent available either as outright free agent or from another team dumping salaries.

That would be the most logical thing to do.

But this is the owner who blew up the 2011 champion team just to get a chance to sign Dwight Howard etc. History of his ego coming into play would suggest he would overrule Donnie again for a chance to sign a star in 2021.

Standing pat and waiting for 2021 is risky business.
JJP
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#807 » by JJP » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:38 pm

Here's what I think about Giannis.

Yes, it's about 10% now. But it's 10% for everybody but Milwaukee. Milwaukee just has to get him to sign an extension or wait until free agency and outbid everyone else - which they can do.

However, Milwaukee has to convince him that they can make a champion. They have much of this next season to make their case. If by the all-star break it's obvious to Giannis that this is not a championship team, then Giannis goes to free agency looking for a new suitor.

At that point, Dallas's odds shoot up to about 50%. It's either us or Miami. I'm not sure anyone else looks nearly as attractive and will have the cap room. So while this looks pretty bad from here, things could change quickly by mid-season. I am of the opinion now is to keep the cap room open for 2021. It's not like we're going to struggle to do that (unlike Miami which will have more to move around to get to that point). We can still do quite well with trades and the MLE and still keep our cap room open for next season.
boogiezen
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#808 » by boogiezen » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:10 pm

Dallas can't afford to have a losing season though if they want Giannis. It won't be that attractive if the team underperforms next season. They still have to prove that they can compete.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
Mr B
Head Coach

Post#809 » by Mr B » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:46 pm

arkuo wrote:
JD45 wrote:Its going to be difficult to wait for Giannis.

That would be the most logical thing to do.

But this is the owner who blew up the 2011 champion team just to get a chance to sign Dwight Howard etc. History of his ego coming into play would suggest he would overrule Donnie again for a chance to sign a star in 2021.

Standing pat and waiting for 2021 is risky business.

I can actually understand why they tore up the 2011 team. In hindsight they should have resigned Tyson and built around him and Dirk. Then drafted Giannis.

Cuban is a very smart businessman and he took a gamble and it failed. You have to keep in mind that Dirk was close to the end. Circumstances with the team are different now because Luka is so young. I think Cuban will be a little smarter this time around.

JJP
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#810 » by JJP » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:13 pm

Mr B wrote:I can actually understand why they tore up the 2011 team. In hindsight they should have resigned Tyson and built around him and Dirk. Then drafted Giannis.

Cuban is a very smart businessman and he took a gamble and it failed. You have to keep in mind that Dirk was close to the end. Circumstances with the team are different now because Luka is so young. I think Cuban will be a little smarter this time around.

I think that's about right.

I think Cuban also said once that he didn't think that bringing those players back was enough to beat OKC given how good they were getting (they played for all the marbles in 2012). I think he was right about that. I think OKC would have been the best team in the west even if Dallas had retained all their players.
Mr B
Head Coach

Post#811 » by Mr B » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:53 pm

JJP wrote:
Mr B wrote:I can actually understand why they tore up the 2011 team. In hindsight they should have resigned Tyson and built around him and Dirk. Then drafted Giannis.

I think that's about right.

I think Cuban also said once that he didn't think that bringing those players back was enough to beat OKC given how good they were getting (they played for all the marbles in 2012). I think he was right about that. I think OKC would have been the best team in the west even if Dallas had retained all their players.

Yea that team really caught lightning in a bottle. I don’t think they would have won again if he had brought the entire team back.

Return to Dallas Mavericks