ImageImageImage

Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#361 » by aggerrard » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:08 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:Was listening to Steph Curry on the All the Smoke podcast. Reminded me of something important.

Golden State isn't in the playoffs this year. But, starting next year they'll return Steph, Klay, a top 5 draft pick, Draymond + whatever they flip DeAngelo Russell for. Steph will only be 32 years old at the start of next season. They're going have another very strong 3-4 year run in them. Not to mention all the much needed rest Steph & Klay are getting this year.

GSW are in a good position. Imaging being the most dominate team in recent history, parting ways with KD and looking for a high draft pick, most likely top-3 and 14% chance of the 1st pick and then be in prime position for another dominate run.

They will look to win it all again next season and i think they will trade their pick along with Russell for a star and a better fit. KAT and Russell would like to play together it seems, but if GSW gets a top-2 pick, is it far-fetched to think Minnesota would accept Russell + the pick for KAT?

Either way they have two great assets in Russell and a high draft pick. Beal, KAT and Embiid (depending on Phillys situation) are some of the players they can look at. Or maybe trade away Russell for a guy like Jrue and look to draft someone like Wiseman or Toppin if they get a pick 1 through 4.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#362 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:18 pm

aggerrard wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:Was listening to Steph Curry on the All the Smoke podcast. Reminded me of something important.

Golden State isn't in the playoffs this year. But, starting next year they'll return Steph, Klay, a top 5 draft pick, Draymond + whatever they flip DeAngelo Russell for. Steph will only be 32 years old at the start of next season. They're going have another very strong 3-4 year run in them. Not to mention all the much needed rest Steph & Klay are getting this year.

GSW are in a good position. Imaging being the most dominate team in recent history, parting ways with KD and looking for a high draft pick, most likely top-3 and 14% chance of the 1st pick and then be in prime position for another dominate run.

They will look to win it all again next season and i think they will trade their pick along with Russell for a star and a better fit. KAT and Russell would like to play together it seems, but if GSW gets a top-2 pick, is it far-fetched to think Minnesota would accept Russell + the pick for KAT?

Either way they have two great assets in Russell and a high draft pick. Beal, KAT and Embiid (depending on Phillys situation) are some of the players they can look at. Or maybe trade away Russell for a guy like Jrue and look to draft someone like Wiseman or Toppin if they get a pick 1 through 4.

Well, Minnesota is only so high on DeAngelo Russell because of KAT. It doesn't make any sense for them to acquire Russell but trade KAT away. The whole deal is keep KAT happy to avoid a AD/New Orleans like situation.

I can see why GSW doesn't want to trade Russell to MIN because if KAT's not on the table, then what does MIN have that will help GSW win in the next 3-4 years? Nothing that outweighs Russell.

But, you would think they could make a 3 team deal work. Minnesota has Culver & future 1sts they could move to a team that does have a veteran the Warriors would be interested in.

Something like San Antonio gets Culver & the future 1sts, GSW gets LMA + Covington, and Minny gets Russell.

That probably doesn't work salary wise, but just the basic structure of a 3 team deal. It's crazy to me that GSW is trying to hold onto Russell. He doesn't fit very well with Curry & Klay, and Minny is willing to overpay for him. According to reports, Minny is sending GSW out offers like Russell is Michael Jordan. They'd probably give up 3 future 1sts + Culver in a deal for DLo. Who else is going to even come close to that?
aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#363 » by aggerrard » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:44 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
aggerrard wrote:

Well, Minnesota is only so high on DeAngelo Russell because of KAT. It doesn't make any sense for them to acquire Russell but trade KAT away. The whole deal is keep KAT happy to avoid a AD/New Orleans like situation.

I can see why GSW doesn't want to trade Russell to MIN because if KAT's not on the table, then what does MIN have that will help GSW win in the next 3-4 years? Nothing that outweighs Russell.

But, you would think they could make a 3 team deal work. Minnesota has Culver & future 1sts they could move to a team that does have a veteran the Warriors would be interested in.

Something like San Antonio gets Culver & the future 1sts, GSW gets LMA + Covington, and Minny gets Russell.

That probably doesn't work salary wise, but just the basic structure of a 3 team deal. It's crazy to me that GSW is trying to hold onto Russell. He doesn't fit very well with Curry & Klay, and Minny is willing to overpay for him. According to reports, Minny is sending GSW out offers like Russell is Michael Jordan. They'd probably give up 3 future 1sts + Culver in a deal for DLo. Who else is going to even come close to that?

You are probably right about that.

Warriors could also look to make a trade for RoCo without a 3rd team involved. RoCo + Dieng to make salary match and 2 future 1st for Russell. Then they can either decide to keep their high draft pick and play Dieng as a quality backup at the 5 or use Diengs 17m salary to get another good player along with some picks.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#364 » by bran muffin » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:02 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:For the next 3 seasons, I'm referring to '20-'21, '21-'22, '22-'23, Steph will be 32-34 years old, LeBron will be 35-37 years old, Klay is still just 29, Kawhi just 28 (altho he has the body of a 35 year old already)... Those are going to be difficult years in the West.

I'm more concerned about the Pelicans than I am of those teams. If Zion can stay healthy, watch out. He'll supplant Luka as the NBA's new goldenboy. He'll be on a team with Brandon Ingram, Jaxson Hayes, a ton of cap space, and crazy amount of picks/swaps from the Laker trade. Zion will be in his prime contending for titles, and his team will still be receiving primo lottery picks from terrible Lakers teams in the mid 2020s. The Pelicans have the brightest future of any team in the league --- if Zion stays healthy.

DJ_3_Ball wrote:This may be a year to add a piece & take a shot.

Sacrificing the future for the sake of "taking a shot" in the present is a sure-fire way to ensure Luka eventually bails out on Dallas.

Let's fast forward to 2025. The Mavs are in cap hell. They have no draft picks. They have no young players because they traded them away. Basically a repeat of Dirk's situation in the late 2000s. Why would Luka stick around? I'm sure he'll appreciate that he spent the early 2020s competing with talented teams in Dallas. But the past is the past. When Luka a free agent in 2025, his past wouldn't be as important to him as his future. And if his future in Dallas is bleak, he would leave.

If you're a Mavs fan and you want to keep Luka around forever, you wouldn't want the Mavs to sacrifice the future to "take a shot" in the present. But for Luka-only fans... of course they'll want the Mavs to mortgage the future for Luka. So he can win a title, then leave for greener pastures before the bill arrives. Then Luka will do the same thing to his new team. He'll go from team to team, winning titles and leaving a complete mess behind each time. Basically do what LeBron has been doing.

The only trades I want to see the Mavs make are the ones that won't cost them picks or young talent. The players they'll acquire won't be very good.... but that's better for the long term health of this team.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#365 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:17 pm

bran muffin wrote:

Sacrificing the future for the sake of "taking a shot" in the present is a sure-fire way to ensure Luka eventually bails out on Dallas.

Let's fast forward to 2025. The Mavs are in cap hell. They have no draft picks. They have no young players because they traded them away. Basically a repeat of Dirk's situation in the late 2000s. Why would Luka stick around? I'm sure he'll appreciate that he spent the early 2020s competing with talented teams in Dallas. But the past is the past. When Luka a free agent in 2025, his past wouldn't be as important to him as his future. And if his future in Dallas is bleak, he would leave.

If you're a Mavs fan and you want to keep Luka around forever, you wouldn't want the Mavs to sacrifice the future to "take a shot" in the present. But for Luka-only fans... of course they'll want the Mavs to mortgage the future for Luka. So he can win a title, then leave for greener pastures before the bill arrives. Then Luka will do the same thing to his new team. He'll go from team to team, winning titles and leaving a complete mess behind each time. Basically do what LeBron has been doing.

Those are great points. But, I'm not talking about adding a huge piece; not necessarily.

Before the Powell injury, there was plenty of talk here about not messing with team chemistry & not adding anyone. I'm talking about simply adding someone before the trade deadline.

Aron Baynes on a 3 month rental for example. I'm basically talking about giving up the GSW 2nd round pick for a player that can help over the next 3 months.

Personally, I hate it. I'm just not a mortgage the future for today kinda guy. If I could trade places with any NBA team in the league right now... I think you gotta love what Dallas has. I think you gotta love what Milwaukee has. Just because of Luka & Giannis. But, my 3rd team on that list would be OKC because Sweet Jesus they have SGA & a treasure chest full of picks. What a position to be in.

Still, there's no way to get around the fact that this year the path to the title is going to be easier than it will be next year and for the next 3 years likely. There's something to that notion of striking while the iron is hot. I think it merits making a small, but notable trade. Something more significant than Joakim Noah, but not as costly as what you're talking about. I'm in no way in favor of leaving a desolate 2025 Mavs roster for Luka to abandon. But, I don't think parting with this GSW 2nd rounder does that.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#366 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:29 am

I dont say mortgage the future but small moves should be explored. WCS was great for late 2nd.
Now we can also trade GSW’s early 2nd(31st pick).
They should look for Thad Young situation.
This team definitely needs a good wing defender especailly at PF.
T.Young would also help rebounding and team defense too.

If Mavs cant find a trade, Faried might work well with Kp too.

I dont expect this to play WCF but I wouldnt mind watching a competitive 2nd round exit.
Against Lakers and Clippers we would need someone like T.Young at the wing. I’d take P.Millsapp if he was available for cheap too.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#367 » by Pinkyring » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:00 am

bran muffin wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:For the next 3 seasons, I'm referring to '20-'21, '21-'22, '22-'23, Steph will be 32-34 years old, LeBron will be 35-37 years old, Klay is still just 29, Kawhi just 28 (altho he has the body of a 35 year old already)... Those are going to be difficult years in the West.

I'm more concerned about the Pelicans than I am of those teams. If Zion can stay healthy, watch out. He'll supplant Luka as the NBA's new goldenboy. He'll be on a team with Brandon Ingram, Jaxson Hayes, a ton of cap space, and crazy amount of picks/swaps from the Laker trade. Zion will be in his prime contending for titles, and his team will still be receiving primo lottery picks from terrible Lakers teams in the mid 2020s. The Pelicans have the brightest future of any team in the league --- if Zion stays healthy.

The only trades I want to see the Mavs make are the ones that won't cost them picks or young talent. The players they'll acquire won't be very good.... but that's better for the long term health of this team.

This logic is flawed for numberous reason, first off, you have luka locked up for at least 5 years and at that point kp is off the books so cap hell isn't even realistic as we dont even have a guy we can sign or trade for getting more than five years including this one. More importantly, yes if you can make a run now you do it regardless to what it cost you. We have no idea how long porzingis will even be healthy and this team has shown they can be a playoff team so why not add to that if you can to contend. Seems people are comfortable this runnning this team next year too with the hope of Giannis which has close to zero chance of happening. Guys dont leave the supermax on a contender to go try their luck elsewhere. You compete now and prepare to reload in 3 yrs when you can clean the books basically
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#368 » by Apz » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:27 am

Hmm, I wonder how Nets value kurocs? I really like his play. Dont think we can get it done but would be nice
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#369 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:06 am

Apz wrote:Hmm, I wonder how Nets value kurocs? I really like his play. Dont think we can get it done but would be nice

I think we all know how Kyrie values Kurucs
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#370 » by MrOrange » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:13 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Apz wrote:Hmm, I wonder how Nets value kurocs? I really like his play. Dont think we can get it done but would be nice

I think we all know how Kyrie values Kurucs

With KD back next season Kurucs could find it hard to get any minutes at all. There have been rumours about Nets willing to ship him. However, his legal issues still have not been cleared.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#371 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:46 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:I dont say mortgage the future but small moves should be explored. WCS was great for late 2nd.

I dont expect this to play WCF but I wouldnt mind watching a competitive 2nd round exit.
Against Lakers and Clippers we would need someone like T.Young at the wing. I’d take P.Millsapp if he was available for cheap too.

Faried is a free agent right too right? His game seems a little redundant though with WCS already on the team.

I know the teams needs a wing defender that can shoot but I’m wondering if they would still pursue Drummond or Steven Adams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#372 » by arkuo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:48 pm

Now that we have a center with WCS, we need another wing to complete the lineup. Getting Covington now would be awesome.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#373 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:57 pm

Mr B wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:I dont say mortgage the future but small moves should be explored. WCS was great for late 2nd.

Faried is a free agent right too right? His game seems a little redundant though with WCS already on the team.

I know the teams needs a wing defender that can shoot but I’m wondering if they would still pursue Drummond or Steven Adams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me the Mavs chances in the playoffs boil down to can they regain the form they had before Luka's injury when they rattled off 10 of 11. Since that 10-1 stretch, they haven't looked like the same team. I guess more like since the 30 point lead they gave away in TOR. Because the wins in MIL & PHI were impressive.

I think they will regain that form sometime in the 2nd half. They're definitely going to get a nice runway from now until the middle of March where the schedule will be favorable. Hopefully, KP gets back on track, the team gels a bit with WCS being added & all. So, I'm not going to say I don't expect to see this team in the WCF. That's possible. If you had asked me before that MIA game, when Luka twisted his ankle, I would of said I think the Mavs are the favorite behind the Clippers & Lakers to be there, and I really didn't think the gap between those 2 teams & the Mavs was very big at all.

Starting next year, the Warriors are going to be back in this mix. I think HOU will start to decline. The West will remain tough for the next 3-4 years, though. Then Luka & KP will be in their mid 20s, while Steph, LeBron, Kawhi, etc are all in their mid to late 30s.

So, I think it makes some sense to look at moving that GSW 2nd round pick for help this season. But, I would need a player better than you've mentioned. Thad Young. I don't see what he does much better than what we already have with Kleber. Kleber is a PF who does a good job defending the perimeter. I wouldn't mind the depth, but I'd rather that GSW pick.

That GSW pick is more valuable to teams than a late 1st because the 2nd round salary isn't guaranteed. It's a valuable trade commodity & if we move it, we need something that says move over Utah, we're now the 3rd best team in the West. Thad Young doesn't do it. Faried no where close to that level of player anymore, and why would Denver trade Milsap to a team they very easily could see in the 1st round of the playoffs???
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#374 » by arkuo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:34 pm

This is way too early. But for discussion sake:

There has been talk about the Mavs considering signing Rudy Gobert in 2021 if Giannis decides to stay put in Milwaukee. What are youf thoughts on this?

Personally I prefer spending that max slot on a guard or a wing player. However said player must be willing to move to Dallas first and our track record has not been that good. Although KP + Gobert would be a really tall front court. That's 7'3 and 7'2 respectively and both are elite in defense.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#375 » by bran muffin » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:06 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:Now we can also trade GSW’s early 2nd(31st pick).

There's hardly any difference in the quality of prospects available from the mid-20s through the very early 30s. That GSW pick is basically a late first round pick.

The Mavs already surrendered their 1st round picks in 2023, 2021, 2019 and 2017 (DSJ). A severe drought in young talent is coming. They don't feel the effects for now. But they will in the mid-to-late 2020s. The Mavs simply can't afford to give up any more picks and young players. They need to hold on to Brunson, their two "first round" picks this summer, and their 2022 pick.

ozwizard8 wrote:They should look for Thad Young situation.

Unfortunately,, Thaddeus Young's contract is partially guaranteed in 2021. That's the final year of Luka's rookie contract, and so it's their last opportunity to reload in free agency. They wouldn't want a 33-yr old vet wasting valuable cap space that summer.

arkuo wrote:There has been talk about the Mavs considering signing Rudy Gobert in 2021 if Giannis decides to stay put in Milwaukee. What are youf thoughts on this?

KP is still in his mid-20s. He's quick enough to be an adequate defender in the perimeter... for now. But over the next few years, he will become more of a liability in the perimeter. We can't reasonably expect a 7'3" big to chase around 6'7" forwards in this league. KP's future is at the center position.

For that reason, I'm not liking a Gobert-KP front court in the long term.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#376 » by Teffer10 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:25 am

arkuo wrote:Now that we have a center with WCS, we need another wing to complete the lineup. Getting Covington now would be awesome.

I still think Mavs should go after Morris if Covington isn’t achievable.
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#377 » by Bluelabel24 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:56 am

Teffer10 wrote:
arkuo wrote:Now that we have a center with WCS, we need another wing to complete the lineup. Getting Covington now would be awesome.

really tough to imagine WCS and KP being able to guard quick 4s out there.. I believe the perfect fit next to KP should be a hybrid pf/c, like a Draymond Green, Ibaka, Adebayo type of guy. Someone whos quick enough to go out the paint and contest but is also strong enough to give opposing bigs a tough time backing down.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#378 » by jpengland » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:23 am

Bluelabel24 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

really tough to imagine WCS and KP being able to guard quick 4s out there.. I believe the perfect fit next to KP should be a hybrid pf/c, like a Draymond Green, Ibaka, Adebayo type of guy. Someone whos quick enough to go out the paint and contest but is also strong enough to give opposing bigs a tough time backing down.

So, Maxi Kleber?
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#379 » by Bluelabel24 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:33 am

jpengland wrote:
Bluelabel24 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:I still think Mavs should go after Morris if Covington isn’t achievable.

So, Maxi Kleber?

yeah someone in that mold but a bit more of a bruiser and rebounder..
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#380 » by dygaction » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:14 am

Portland is not likely to make it to the playoffs this year, and they will have Nurkic coming back next year. What is your opinion on Whiteside and what are you willing to give up for him? I am impressed by his work ethic and productivity recently, but hopefully those are not because of contract year.

Return to Dallas Mavericks