ImageImageImage

Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#41 » by J_T » Wed Dec 4, 2019 6:00 pm

Archx wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Archx wrote:
I think it's around 5-6M... But THJ would be a fool for not opting in. No one will ever pay him that much again. Unless he hires the same agent as Barnes lol.

That blows. $5M is essentially MLE money. That will net the Mavs someone like Alex Len. :banghead:

Yea this roster is basically a lock for the next season. The smart thing to do would actually be trading Lee before the trade deadline and if they can get a solid player, risk going over the cap even more. But i'm not in the Mavs office so i obviously don't know how sensitive they are when it comes to money and going over the cap and for how long.

Well going over the cap doesn't mean anything on its own, there are no consequences. So I agree that this would be smart thing to do, especially if the contract expires after next season. Just because you would have more flexibility going forward this way.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#42 » by DJ_3_Ball » Wed Dec 4, 2019 7:15 pm

Archx wrote:
arkuo wrote:Anyone know the exact cap space we would have this summer even if THJ opts into his contract?

I think it's around 5-6M... But THJ would be a fool for not opting in. No one will ever pay him that much again. Unless he hires the same agent as Barnes lol.

Yup. You're 100% right about that. I remember folks on dallas-mavs.com saying Wesley Matthews was going to opt out of his player option 2 years ago. I couldn't think of one reason why he would.

I think sometimes fans just think something is going to happen just because they want it to.

We're stuck with THJ next year. That's the deal. That was part of the price we had to pay to acquire Porzingis.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,856

Post#43 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 1:21 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Archx wrote:
arkuo wrote:Anyone know the exact cap space we would have this summer even if THJ opts into his contract?

Yup. You're 100% right about that. I remember folks on dallas-mavs.com saying Wesley Matthews was going to opt out of his player option 2 years ago. I couldn't think of one reason why he would.

I think sometimes fans just think something is going to happen just because they want it to.

We're stuck with THJ next year. That's the deal. That was part of the price we had to pay to acquire Porzingis.

Honestly if he keeps playing the way he has been lately, I'm quite happy to be stuck with him another year.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#44 » by bran muffin » Thu Dec 5, 2019 9:34 pm

The Mavs will have 3 likely picks this summer:

• DAL 1st Rd pick - Between #18 and #22
  • GSW 2nd Rd pick - Between #31 and #35
  • UTA 2nd Rd pick - Between #48 and #52
The Mavs should not trade away the DAL or GSW picks under any circumstances. They already surrendered their 2019, 2021 and 2023 first round picks. This team will be starving for young, cheap talent a few years down the road.

They need to prepare for the upcoming drought by making the most of the picks that they do have. They may have the 20th and 33rd picks after the season, and they can realistically hope to get a Jalen Brunson type role player with those picks. If they're REALLY lucky, they might even get a legit starter with one of these picks.

They shouldn't be doing silly, desperate moves. LIke wasting picks to salary dump THJ. Or wasting picks to trade for an expensive veteran. Don't repeat the mistakes they made with the Dirk era. The Mavs spent the late 2000s/early 2010s starving for young talent because they traded away most of their picks in the 2000s.
J_T
Veteran

Post#45 » by J_T » Thu Dec 5, 2019 9:41 pm

bran muffin wrote:The Mavs will have 3 likely picks this summer:

The Mavs should not trade away the DAL or GSW picks under any circumstances. They already surrendered their 2019, 2021 and 2023 first round picks. This team will be starving for young, cheap talent a few years down the road.

They need to prepare for the upcoming drought by making the most of the picks that they do have. They may have the 20th and 33rd picks after the season, and they can realistically hope to get a Jalen Brunson type role player with those picks. If they're REALLY lucky, they might even get a legit starter with one of these picks.

They shouldn't be doing silly, desperate moves. LIke wasting picks to salary dump THJ. Or wasting picks to trade for an expensive veteran. Don't repeat the mistakes they made with the Dirk era. The Mavs spent the late 2000s/early 2010s starving for young talent because they traded away most of their picks in the 2000s.

You might be called fake fan, be careful. :D

You make a good point, especially because the core is young and should be around for 10+ years. So why not make the period of contention longer by drafting well and hoping something good comes out of it 3-5 years from now.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#46 » by DJ_3_Ball » Thu Dec 5, 2019 10:35 pm

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!!! HALLELUJAH BROTHER!!!!!

I seriously could not agree more. Your post needs to be stickied on the front page of this forum. Every forum member should be required to copy & paste it and send it to Mark Cuban's email, so he doesn't forget.

I swear to God that Windhorst story about Iguodala scares me. It's like the Mavs never learn their lesson. I don't know why they **** on draft picks so much. Especially when all you have to do is drive down I-35 4 hours and see the right way to treat draft picks. Be the San Antonio Spurs. Find talent in the late 1st round and early 2nd round. It can be done.

Stop punting the draft picks every year because your scouts either suck and/or the ownership/front office is too dumb to listen to them. You compete for a title when you have players who exceed the value of their contract. Players still on their rookie deals is one of the best ways to accomplish that.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 10:56 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:

I seriously could not agree more. Your post needs to be stickied on the front page of this forum. Every forum member should be required to copy & paste it and send it to Mark Cuban's email, so he doesn't forget.

I swear to God that Windhorst story about Iguodala scares me. It's like the Mavs never learn their lesson. I don't know why they **** on draft picks so much. Especially when all you have to do is drive down I-35 4 hours and see the right way to treat draft picks. Be the San Antonio Spurs. Find talent in the late 1st round and early 2nd round. It can be done.

Stop punting the draft picks every year because your scouts either suck and/or the ownership/front office is too dumb to listen to them. You compete for a title when you have players who exceed the value of their contract. Players still on their rookie deals is one of the best ways to accomplish that.

Agree with all of you. No way we should be trading our first or the GSW second unless a legit star on a decent contract is coming back.
If you bundle the 2 picks you might even be able to get a pick around #10 for it which could be a legitimate starter.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#48 » by DJ_3_Ball » Thu Dec 5, 2019 11:34 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:Agree with all of you. No way we should be trading our first or the GSW second unless a legit star on a decent contract is coming back.
If you bundle the 2 picks you might even be able to get a pick around #10 for it which could be a legitimate starter.

This was my exact thought too. If the Mavs wind up with say the 23rd and the 32nd overall picks. You could potentially package those picks together and move up to say 12th overall. A team like Charlotte, for example, they may value the extra pick, and say they're losing Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. They maybe have an interest in a guy like Justin Jackson.

I'm not saying that exact deal, but that type of deal will probably be out there for the Mavs, if they hold onto these picks.

Now, that said. I have not scouted this year's class at all. I have no idea if it's considered weak or strong or what not. But, historically you can find some bad ass talent in that 10-15 range.

Of course you have to get very lucky because anything outside of the top 5 is dicey, and even in the the top 5 it's no sure thing. But, there aren't any risk-free options on the table. So, I'd rather play my hand with the draft picks.

Because, hey guess what. Say you do hold your onto your draft picks, you draft a sleeper with one of them or you move up in the 10-15 range & hit big on a player like Donovan Mitchell at 13 or Klay Thompson at 11 or Kawhi Leonard at 15, etc.

You could still sign a FA in July!!!

And Myles Turner 2.0 + Bogdan Bogdanovic next off-season, and I'll be a very happy camper!
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#49 » by Pinkyring » Fri Dec 6, 2019 12:11 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Your theory sounds good and while i wouldn't trade them for a marginal upgrade i would trade them for a solid win now piece. This team cannot draft, period, if we arent in the top 5 any player we pick will probably be out the leagur in 3-5 years. Ive seen enough pavel podkolzine, shane larkin, jared Cunningham mo agers of the world. I'd rather get a guy proven than taking a chance on guy that will be out the league. The last meaningful draft pick we made outside the top 10 was 16 years ago.
J_T
Veteran

Post#50 » by J_T » Fri Dec 6, 2019 1:03 am

Pinkyring wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Your theory sounds good and while i wouldn't trade them for a marginal upgrade i would trade them for a solid win now piece. This team cannot draft, period, if we arent in the top 5 any player we pick will probably be out the leagur in 3-5 years. Ive seen enough pavel podkolzine, shane larkin, jared Cunningham mo agers of the world. I'd rather get a guy proven than taking a chance on guy that will be out the league. The last meaningful draft pick we made outside the top 10 was 16 years ago.

Who, Josh Howard? Kelly Olynyk might be considered good pick then as well, not sure what meaningful means. So that would be 2 in this period, out of 24, 8.3% hit rate. Or cut it in half, I don't care.

The point is it's not much better with other teams. Let's look at some of them.

Lakers
Larry Nance (2015) - and I suspect you might be criticizing him a lot if he was Mavs player. :)
Pat Beverley (2009)
Marc Gasol (2007)
So that's 3 out of 29 non top 10 picks, 10.3% hit rate

Clippers
DeAndre Jordan 2008
So that's 1 out of 2, 4.8% hit rate

Warriors
Draymond Green (2012)
Klay Thompson (2011, 11th pick but ok)
2 out of 21, 9.5%

Celtics
Avery Bradley (2010)
Tony Allen (2004)
So 2 out of 42 (!) is 4.8% hit rate

Bucks
Brogdon (2016)
Giannis (2013)
That's 2 out of 27 = 7.4%
And they have a top stinker in Jabari Parker on top of that, picked as number 2.

Philly
Vucevic (2011)
Jrue Holiday (2009)
Thaddeus Young (2007)
That's 3 out of 43, 7%. Or 9.3% if you count Maurice Harkless.

Bottom line - how many organizations are there, that are really good at drafting meaningful players outside of top 10?
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#51 » by Pinkyring » Fri Dec 6, 2019 1:08 am

J_T wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Who, Josh Howard? Kelly Olynyk might be considered good pick then as well, not sure what meaningful means. So that would be 2 in this period, out of 24, 8.3% hit rate. Or cut it in half, I don't care.

The point is it's not much better with other teams. Let's look at some of them.

Lakers
Larry Nance (2015) - and I suspect you might be criticizing him a lot if he was Mavs player. :)
Pat Beverley (2009)
Marc Gasol (2007)
So that's 3 out of 29 non top 10 picks, 10.3% hit rate

Clippers
DeAndre Jordan 2008
So that's 1 out of 2, 4.8% hit rate

Warriors
Draymond Green (2012)
Klay Thompson (2011, 11th pick but ok)
2 out of 21, 9.5%

Celtics
Avery Bradley (2010)
Tony Allen (2004)
So 2 out of 42 (!) is 4.8% hit rate

Bucks
Brogdon (2016)
Giannis (2013)
That's 2 out of 27 = 7.4%
And they have a top stinker in Jabari Parker on top of that, picked as number 2.

Philly
Vucevic (2011)
Jrue Holiday (2009)
Thaddeus Young (2007)
That's 3 out of 43, 7%. Or 9.3% if you count Maurice Harkless.

Bottom line - how many organizations are there, that are really good at drafting meaningful players outside of top 10?

Olynk never played here that was a trade for larkin to clear cap and yes literally every other teams finds quality starters in the 20s to 30s but us
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Dec 6, 2019 1:34 am

First, I've met Jared Cunningham on more than one occasion, and he is a good dude. So, no besmirching his name please.

Second, J_T, that list looks like you're missing A LOT of names. It doesn't even look like it. You are missing a lot of names. I'd just have to go back and look.

And, I know you're not giving the Warriors **** for their drafting success... are you?! Lol! That's crazy man. You must have another point there because you're one of the best posters on this forum. But, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off on that take.
J_T
Veteran

Post#53 » by J_T » Fri Dec 6, 2019 8:00 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:First, I've met Jared Cunningham on more than one occasion, and he is a good dude. So, no besmirching his name please.

Second, J_T, that list looks like you're missing A LOT of names. It doesn't even look like it. You are missing a lot of names. I'd just have to go back and look.

And, I know you're not giving the Warriors **** for their drafting success... are you?! Lol! That's crazy man. You must have another point there because you're one of the best posters on this forum. But, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off on that take.

I don't think I missed anyone. I just tried to use the same standards as Pinkyring did when he said that Dallas had zero meaningful players drafted since 2003. Also keep in mind we are only talking about players drafted outside of top 10. I used a rather objective standard by checking all players that have had BPM 1.0 or higher, with reasonable VORP to go with it. On top of that I added also some other notable names (for example Brogdon has had crappy BPM numbers so far in his career, but I still added him).
I'm ok with adding more names, sure, but I would add them to the Mavs then as well. I just went with high standard here.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#54 » by Pinkyring » Fri Dec 6, 2019 10:41 am

J_T wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:First, I've met Jared Cunningham on more than one occasion, and he is a good dude. So, no besmirching his name please.

I don't think I missed anyone. I just tried to use the same standards as Pinkyring did when he said that Dallas had zero meaningful players drafted since 2003. Also keep in mind we are only talking about players drafted outside of top 10. I used a rather objective standard by checking all players that have had BPM 1.0 or higher, with reasonable VORP to go with it. On top of that I added also some other notable names (for example Brogdon has had crappy BPM numbers so far in his career, but I still added him).
I'm ok with adding more names, sure, but I would add them to the Mavs then as well. I just went with high standard here.

You're clearly just grabbing players teams drafted not who said player actually went to
J_T
Veteran

Post#55 » by J_T » Fri Dec 6, 2019 12:48 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
J_T wrote:

You're clearly just grabbing players teams drafted not who said player actually went to

Yes, I did that, because the player was drafted by the team. Teams are not going to pick bad players on purpose because they want to trade them away. They will try to pick the best player they can. So if a team drafted a good player and traded him away later, they actually drafted well, but made a bad trade.

Are there also trades like Doncic for Trae among those, where teams are drafting for other teams? Sure, but that's way too complicated, I have no intention to waste my time on that, especially since you have to take into account what else was involved in the trade. Not to mention that if Memphis selected Trae Young, that trade would not have happened.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#56 » by Darren » Fri Dec 6, 2019 3:55 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:

I've to disagree here. Look at the draft board. Next year draft is lacking 3D players in this range. I'll not hessitate to trade pick for players like Mikal Bridge, Mo Bamba, Johnathan Isaacc, OG Anounby and so on. Of course, I'd explore Brunson to Minny for Diop or to Bucks for DDV and so on. In all likelihood, I think the Mavs either pick an athletic big or a combo guard if the team intend to keep the pick. However, I am very fine to trade the pick for Covington and Diop (from Minny) or Smart, Fall and Boston 2nd rounders. I will explore Brunson for Ntilikina before trading pick, though.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Dec 6, 2019 4:09 pm

Darren wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

I've to disagree here. Look at the draft board. Next year draft is lacking 3D players in this range. I'll not hessitate to trade pick for players like Mikal Bridge, Mo Bamba, Johnathan Isaacc, OG Anounby and so on. Of course, I'd explore Brunson to Minny for Diop or to Bucks for DDV and so on. In all likelihood, I think the Mavs either pick an athletic big or a combo guard if the team intend to keep the pick. However, I am very fine to trade the pick for Covington and Diop (from Minny) or Smart, Fall and Boston 2nd rounders. I will explore Brunson for Ntilikina before trading pick, though.

Lol you would what? Trade a very servicable backup who is a proven winner for a guy who provides absolutely nothing on offense?! :D
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#58 » by fuller4379 » Fri Dec 6, 2019 4:43 pm

102 different players had made the all-star team between 2005 and 2019. Here is where they were drafted:

1-5 42
6-10 22
11-15 5
16-20 10
21 - 25 3
26 - 30 5
2nd Round 14
Not drafted 1

1 14
2 6
3 9
4 6
5 7
6 3
7 3
8 0
9 10
10 6
11 1
13 1
15 3
16 1
17 4
18 1
19 2
20 2
21 1
24 1
25 1
28 1
29 1
30 3
31-60 14
Not drafted 1
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#59 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Dec 6, 2019 5:08 pm

J_T wrote:

Honestly, I don't even know what BPM is. So, you'll have to explain some of that to me.

But, whatever it is. If it would take Brogdon off your list as a "hit" on a guy who was drafted 36th!! and became the rookie of the year and signed a 4 year $85 mil contract with the Pacers, which the Bucks recouped a future 1st round pick and 2 future 2nd round picks for Brogdon. Then yeah. That's a real bad measurement, and you're definitely leaving a lot of names off the list if Brogdon would of been considered a "failure".

Who else was borderline?

When I get a chance, I'm going to take a look. There will probably be some names in the middle that will be debatable.

My basic contention is the list that was given made it seem like everybody has a 5% hit rate. But, I think the Mavs have been far worse than most. There's definitely organizations who are better than others.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#60 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Dec 6, 2019 5:18 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:Lol you would what? Trade a very servicable backup who is a proven winner for a guy who provides absolutely nothing on offense?! :D

After the Mavs' offensive possession is over, you do realize those 5 Mavericks' players are expected to visit the other end of the floor, right? Basketball is played on both ends of the floor.

So, why reduce Ntilikina to just an offensive player? Seems self-serving for your argument.

I don't know what Brunson's "proven-winner" has any real value to the Mavericks. He's a guy who has essentially received multiple DNP-CDs from Carlisle this year. He's not that valuable. I thought he had actually had a couple DNP-CDs, but I guess Carlisle sticks him in the last 2-3 minutes of a blowout just because. That's Ryan Broekhoff territory. It's not exactly like Brunson has forced his way onto the court.

I actually feel like Brunson has taken a step back this season. Maybe the up & down minutes has caused him to become a bit more selfish. Last season, I thought he came in with a "run the offense" mindset. But, I see him looking for his shot more often this year, and I don't like it. He's maybe all of 5-9, and I don't need him doing his best Nate Robinson impression out there (this last game vs Minnesota not withstanding, because that's exactly what we needed from anybody that night).

I'm not saying I favor Brunson for Ntilikina. I'm just saying it's not LeBron James for some piece of lint, the way you're making it sound like it's some unimaginable concept.

I actually asked a friend who is very basketball savvy if he thought Brunson was a good trade asset for us. He said, "I kinda doubt there would be much interest for Brunson." He said, "Actually, Maxi Kleber might be ya'lls best trade piece"

Return to Dallas Mavericks