ImageImageImage

Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1)

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

JJP
Sophomore
Posts: 155
And1: 25
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#781 » by JJP » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:29 pm

Agree about Capela. Atlanta is all-in on him.

I don't think there's any attractive big names waiting for a deal this year. My guess is that we acquire someone like Thaddeus Young in a trade (Wright + Jackson or maybe Wright + a draft pick), and then preferably split the MLE on players like Justin Holiday and Facundo Campazzo. That gives you two wings with some defensive chops and a playmaker. That's fairly modest, but it's a good start until bigger names are available.
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,662
And1: 626
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#782 » by arkuo » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:45 pm

Dallas is being linked to Victor Oladipo recently. Reports are he wants out of Indy. Risky with the injury and the one year deal as he can bolt anytime, but depends on what Indy wants back for him. Possible one year rental.

I'd actually trade THJ + 18 for Dipo. Maybe indy bites. Same contract length plus a pick. Other teams could surely do better, but for a one year rental with injury history, it's risky to invest more pieces.
Mr B
Head Coach
Posts: 6,389
And1: 1,454
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#783 » by Mr B » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:08 pm

arkuo wrote:Dallas is being linked to Victor Oladipo recently. Reports are he wants out of Indy. Risky with the injury and the one year deal as he can bolt anytime, but depends on what Indy wants back for him. Possible one year rental.

I'd actually trade THJ + 18 for Dipo. Maybe indy bites. Same contract length plus a pick. Other teams could surely do better, but for a one year rental with injury history, it's risky to invest more pieces.

I’d definitely be interested in Dipo. The Mavs would be able to test drive him for a season. Long term his injury history concerns me but for just 1 season I’d be all over it. Like you said though, Indy is more than likely going to get better offers than that. Unless they are also just looking for a player with an expiring contract (like Dipo’s).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leolozon
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,637
And1: 4,509
Joined: Nov 08, 2009

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#784 » by leolozon » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:14 pm

There's some rumours (probably unfounded) about Hield. Anyone likes that idea? He's a good shooter, but isn't a good defender. He actually regressed last year, so I'm not expecting him to get better, unless we count the "Luka effect".

+ He' still a .411 shooter from 3 and would probably improve with Doncic. So he's a better shooter than THJ I would say.
- Not a good defender, can he become passable? Probably not.

He'll get 24m next year, but only 18m in his last year... so not that bad down the line. He's not an ideal fit because of defense but the team will have trouble to find the perfect fit anyway.

I honestly would rather have good defenders and let Luka work his magic, but the team has to roll the dice on a guy and hope that Luka elevates him. Luka needs great shooters considering how many open looks he creates.

Dipo has a higher ceiling, but he's also a worst shooter, is injury prone and it's not even clear if he can get back to what he was 2 years ago. It's maybe unfair. but Hield was better than what Dipo showed in the past two years when he played.
JD45
Head Coach
Posts: 7,179
And1: 33
Joined: Dec 28, 2003

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#785 » by JD45 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:18 pm

DallasBasketball.com was proposing a Hield trade. But I agree, it doesn't see like a fit. Would he be much better than Curry for the Mavs? I would rather see what they get in the draft and then in free agency next year.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,662
And1: 626
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#786 » by arkuo » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:30 pm

JD45 wrote:DallasBasketball.com was proposing a Hield trade. But I agree, it doesn't see like a fit. Would he be much better than Curry for the Mavs? I would rather see what they get in the draft and then in free agency next year.


Kent Bazemore might cost less and even plays more D than Hield. Hield also has a poison pill provision so that will eat into the 2021 cap room.
jpengland
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,950
And1: 5,050
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
   

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#787 » by jpengland » Mon Oct 5, 2020 9:13 pm

Id sooner have Curry and/or THJ than Hield. He also kills cap space moving forward.

Zero interest from me.

Defense is the key with any acquisition short of a bona fida all star.
User avatar
fbalmeida
Analyst
Posts: 3,483
And1: 4,436
Joined: Jul 03, 2019
Location: Braga, Portugal
         

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#788 » by fbalmeida » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:30 pm

Hello Mavs fans.

Being a big fan of his game, I'm curious as to what you would consider to be a fair trade for Maxi Kleber?

I see him as the Raptors best successor for Gasol.

Given your need of backcourt defense, would Norman Powell, Terence Davis and a 1st be a conversation starter?
Image
JJP
Sophomore
Posts: 155
And1: 25
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#789 » by JJP » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:18 pm

I like Norman Powell a lot. The Mavs could really use him.

However, the Mavs would need something in the works for a small ball center since Maxi plays that role well (and no other Mav is very good at it). There would need to be a slightly different trade than what you're suggesting. I'm not sure Davis makes sense.

In the end, if we gained Powell and lost Maxi in a larger trade - and all other salary issues worked out - I would say it's fair. I can tell you right now that the Mavs would much rather figure out how to give you back Delon Wright than give up Maxi.
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,662
And1: 626
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#790 » by arkuo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:30 pm

fbalmeida wrote:
Given your need of backcourt defense, would Norman Powell, Terence Davis and a 1st be a conversation starter?


Filling the "backcourt defense" role under Carlisle is tricky. He only has the SG position to play as Luka and Brunson has that PG rotation locked in. Anyone you bring in has to beat out Hardaway and Curry for minutes. And if they cant beat out those two for minutes and just come here to play 5 mins of garbage time then I dont think it would be worth the paperwork to get it done.
User avatar
fbalmeida
Analyst
Posts: 3,483
And1: 4,436
Joined: Jul 03, 2019
Location: Braga, Portugal
         

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#791 » by fbalmeida » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:36 pm

I'm assuming that the Mavs are going to be shipping Delon and Curry to bring in some genuine 3 + D workhorses.
Image
User avatar
fbalmeida
Analyst
Posts: 3,483
And1: 4,436
Joined: Jul 03, 2019
Location: Braga, Portugal
         

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#792 » by fbalmeida » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:59 pm

JJP wrote:I like Norman Powell a lot. The Mavs could really use him.

However, the Mavs would need something in the works for a small ball center since Maxi plays that role well (and no other Mav is very good at it). There would need to be a slightly different trade than what you're suggesting. I'm not sure Davis makes sense.

In the end, if we gained Powell and lost Maxi in a larger trade - and all other salary issues worked out - I would say it's fair. I can tell you right now that the Mavs would much rather figure out how to give you back Delon Wright than give up Maxi.


Indeed. :lol:

Honestly, I'd hate to see Powell go. He's a defensive pest and played like a low-cost Wade for certain stretches this season. He's also part of the reason the Raptors have had excellent chemistry.

But ultimately, considering Gasol's probable departure from the NBA and how Norm's likely to decline his player option (making him an expiring contract this year), I think it would make sense to move him.

From the Mav's perspective, I think Powell would bestow you the chance of granting him his long overdue shot as a starter. He'd be playing along side the amazing Don Ciccio no-less. Davis is a sweetener with one more year. His ceiling is a taller Baron Davis. Presuming we'd re-sign and keep Ibaka, the closest thing we'd have to a tradable small-ball center would be Chris Boucher on a sign-and-trade. Somewhere between 6M to 7M on the mandatory 3 years required by the CBA for sign-and-trades.

Defensively, Boucher provides great help-defence and blocks, is mobile, and switchable, but has some of the worst post-up defence in the league. Offensively, he's quick in transition, isn't afraid to unload from 3pt and has a constant nose for chasing put-backs and offensive rebounds.
Image
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,662
And1: 626
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#793 » by arkuo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:53 pm

^ with all due respect, if you have a player whose ceiling is a taller Baron Davis, I'd like to believe Masai Ujiri with all his awesome GM skills would like to keep that gem?
User avatar
fbalmeida
Analyst
Posts: 3,483
And1: 4,436
Joined: Jul 03, 2019
Location: Braga, Portugal
         

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#794 » by fbalmeida » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:00 pm

arkuo wrote:^ with all due respect, if you have a player whose ceiling is a taller Baron Davis, I'd like to believe Masai Ujiri with all his awesome GM skills would like to keep that gem?


Yup.

Would you considering parting ways with Kleber for Powell, Boucher (sign and trade on 6.5 M), and a 1st in 2021?
Image
JJP
Sophomore
Posts: 155
And1: 25
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#795 » by JJP » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:47 pm

The draft pick would seal it for me. Make it happen.
dirkforpres
General Manager
Posts: 8,910
And1: 3,723
Joined: Sep 13, 2005
   

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#796 » by dirkforpres » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:32 pm

fbalmeida wrote:
arkuo wrote:^ with all due respect, if you have a player whose ceiling is a taller Baron Davis, I'd like to believe Masai Ujiri with all his awesome GM skills would like to keep that gem?


Yup.

Would you considering parting ways with Kleber for Powell, Boucher (sign and trade on 6.5 M), and a 1st in 2021?


Absolutely. I think both teams benefit greatly here
Mr B
Head Coach
Posts: 6,389
And1: 1,454
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#797 » by Mr B » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:23 am

Haven’t seen any of you talking about this. Seems Mavs are willing to take on money this off season if it lands them a 3rd Star.


Read on Twitter
?s=21


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,694
And1: 517
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#798 » by Darren » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:05 am

Mr B wrote:Haven’t seen any of you talking about this. Seems Mavs are willing to take on money this off season if it lands them a 3rd Star.


Read on Twitter
?s=21


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Translation: the Mavs will make a trade with Sixers for Horford / Harris as long as J-Rich and Thybulle is on the way to Dallas. Hardaway, Curry and fillers could be on the way out.
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,662
And1: 626
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#799 » by arkuo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:13 am

Mr B wrote:Haven’t seen any of you talking about this. Seems Mavs are willing to take on money this off season if it lands them a 3rd Star.


Read on Twitter
?s=21


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'd be willing to take on Myles Turner's contract if it means we get Victor Oladipo back. At worst Oladipo is still an expiring contract in 2021. At best he can be a defensive backcourt running mate for Luka. Send Indy THJ + Kleber + Curry and a bunch of draft picks for rebuilding around TJ Warren, Brogdon and Sabonis.

C- Porzingis
PF- Turner
SF- DFS
SG- Oladipo
PG- Doncic
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,662
And1: 626
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Trade Central 19-20 / cap info (pg.1) 

Post#800 » by arkuo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:15 am

Darren wrote:
Mr B wrote:Haven’t seen any of you talking about this. Seems Mavs are willing to take on money this off season if it lands them a 3rd Star.


Read on Twitter
?s=21


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Translation: the Mavs will make a trade with Sixers for Horford / Harris as long as J-Rich and Thybulle is on the way to Dallas. Hardaway, Curry and fillers could be on the way out.


You swallow Horford's contract if it means one of Embiid or Simmons is coming back. You dont paralyze your whole cap situation for freakin Thybulle who barely averages 4 pts per game.

Return to Dallas Mavericks