ImageImageImage

Isaiah Roby is the newest Maverick

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: Isaiah Roby is the newest Maverick 

Post#41 » by Pinkyring » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:42 pm

Teffer10 wrote:Nice pick but he'll have to compete with Jackson and DFS for PT.
I fully expect DFS back and right now it is between those two in a backup SF role.
I also see Maxi and Powell back so it will be tough for this guy to see any action other than G-level ball.

Best scenario for Roby would be for us to sign Kemba and then Jackson get dealt in a package to acquire a center.
That would leave Roby and DFS competing for that 3-D wing to complete the starting lineup.

Dfs has no business on this roster season, none
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#42 » by Teffer10 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:54 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
I fully expect DFS back and right now it is between those two in a backup SF role.
I also see Maxi and Powell back so it will be tough for this guy to see any action other than G-level ball.

Best scenario for Roby would be for us to sign Kemba and then Jackson get dealt in a package to acquire a center.
That would leave Roby and DFS competing for that 3-D wing to complete the starting lineup.

This roster yes, a championship roster no.

Roby has a chance to make DFS irrelevant but unless that happens and/or until we bring someone better in, we might as well get use to having DFS on the team.
Jackson and DFS are the types of players that will get PT on a lotto caliber team.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#43 » by Pinkyring » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:13 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:

Roby has a chance to make DFS irrelevant but unless that happens and/or until we bring someone better in, we might as well get use to having DFS on the team.
Jackson and DFS are the types of players that will get PT on a lotto caliber team.

Dfs is a free agent which means we'd have to pay him, that's dumb, he's a 10th man at best, u can find a non shooting, scoring, passing, wing anywhere for the vet minimum
turcorox911
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#44 » by turcorox911 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:23 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Dfs has no business on this roster season, none

Dfs is a free agent which means we'd have to pay him, that's dumb, he's a 10th man at best, u can find a non shooting, scoring, passing, wing anywhere for the vet minimum

Whelp, he's officially a RFA now. Same with Kleber.

DFS has some likable qualities though. Athletic, long, defense, and improving as a both a shooter and scorer. I'd like to see him improve his FT% though.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#45 » by Darren » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:28 am

People might not realize the Mavs may have got a Leonard and 2 second rounders from draft. Roby is ultimate sleeper in this year draft. Just need some athletic training to be something special. If Roby could gain strength with quickness as well as shorter time between jumping from ground and reaching the rim, this is kind of player rarely seen in nba floor. I thinking shooting consistency and decision making. Roby is no Roddy B in term of IQ. Could be very servible player. I won't miss DFS afterall by second half of the season I bet. Roby can guard 1-5 eventually. It's up to Roby to fail to reach ful potential. Surely, Roby is better than Draymond in rookie season. Pretty close to Leonard as well. This is the right pick for the Mavs. With Zinger on roster, defenders have to be able to switch. Roby is the best among all others in this year draft. The offensive game is also underrated. Pretty versatile player overall. Yes, this is a risk drafting a year who's not ready to see the floor. But the physical tools are intriguing. 6-9 frame with 7-3 wingspan is no joke. If you look at the agility, ball-handling and hustling effort, surely Rody is just strength and better decision making to make the rotation. The Mavs should aim higher, though. Roby could be starter alongside Doncic and Zinger. That's the 3rd shot blocking presence and guard stopper I wanted. I think the Mavs should also consider Diallo from FA. This is the new Brandon Wright, potentiall with more shot blocking and rebounding than Powell. This is kind of player excel very well alongside Zinger.

C/PF- Zinger / Diallo (elite shooter + elite rim runner)
SF/SG - Doncic / Roby (elite playmaker + elite stopper)
PG - top-5 pick in 2020 (elite pick-n-roll PG)

This is a team that could beat Curry + KT + Green // AD + LBJ + Leonard.

If the Mavs miss on big fish this summer, tank without any hessitation especially with Leonard lands in LAL.
Darren
RealGM

Post#46 » by Darren » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:31 am

3 shot blocking
2 stopper at frontcourt and backcourt
3 elite go-to players
2 elite ball handlers
4 good rebounders
no FT liability
best spacing and efficiency
can adopt to different players style

with some backup pieces with a deep bench, RC will turn this roster into champion squad.

Teams cannot attack the rim even if involving Zinger in pick-n-roll. Teams cannot bully the boards as there's so many talented rebounders with long arms. Teams cannot find rooms to shoot as most players are equipped with good length and long wingspan. Teams cannot double team Luka like the way TOR stops Curry with the injuried squad.

Meanwhile, on the other end, teams do not have a long defender who can guard the perimeter with Zinger. Teams might not have frontcourt players to stick with elite rim runner. Most 4/5 are slow, remember. The Mavs could hide Zinger and Luka defensively.

This is a favorable mismatch every game as long as the Mavs take good care of the ball and play balanced and smart team ball.
Darren
RealGM

Post#47 » by Darren » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:39 am

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#48 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:28 pm

J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#49 » by J_T » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:22 pm

Anyone watching him in G-League?

I checked his stats and for his age and minutes played he looks fine, fits in the 3&D profile.

Per36 he is the only player in the league with at least 2.5 steals, 2 blocks and 12 rebounds. Also shooting 3p @ 45.5% so far.

I'm surprised nobody drafted Naz Reid, should had been worth a risk with the 50+ picks.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#50 » by fuller4379 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:12 am

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#51 » by arkuo » Tue Dec 3, 2019 8:54 am

Isaiah Roby watch.

Our boy is doing well in the G League. A very mobile 6'9 player. Im guessing he's 2 years away. Looks like a 3&D power forward or tweener. Quick on his feet.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#52 » by J_T » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:46 pm

arkuo wrote:Isaiah Roby watch.

Our boy is doing well in the G League. A very mobile 6'9 player. Im guessing he's 2 years away. Looks like a 3&D power forward or tweener. Quick on his feet.

I think they see him as DFS type of player and they are hoping he end up being better, especially offensively and from behind the 3-pt line.
He has been recalled recently quite a bit (for practice I assume) so he hasn't been playing in G league for a while.

Problem at the moment for him are the fouls. In 5 games he got fouled out 2 times, in only 23 and 24 minutes and he had 5 fouls in an 18 minute game.

Return to Dallas Mavericks