ImageImageImage

Kristaps Porziņģis activated

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

GaiusVelleius
Ballboy
And1: 39

Re: Kristaps Porziņģis activated 

Post#381 » by GaiusVelleius » Tue Dec 3, 2019 10:35 am

So how does it make any sense to pair KP as a C with guys like thompson or favors, who can't stretch the floor well. The whole point of playing kp at C is to play faster and 5 out, as we often do already with KP and maxi. If anything you would need a well shooting strong post defender at the 4. I think maxi is league wide one of the best doing that already.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#382 » by arkuo » Tue Dec 3, 2019 12:34 pm

GaiusVelleius wrote:So how does it make any sense to pair KP as a C with guys like thompson or favors, who can't stretch the floor well. The whole point of playing kp at C is to play faster and 5 out, as we often do already with KP and maxi. If anything you would need a well shooting strong post defender at the 4. I think maxi is league wide one of the best doing that already.

Getting Robert Covington to play PF with DFS at SF would be nice. To convince Minnesota is another thing.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#383 » by J_T » Tue Dec 3, 2019 1:37 pm

GaiusVelleius wrote:So how does it make any sense to pair KP as a C with guys like thompson or favors, who can't stretch the floor well. The whole point of playing kp at C is to play faster and 5 out, as we often do already with KP and maxi. If anything you would need a well shooting strong post defender at the 4. I think maxi is league wide one of the best doing that already.

Who says that KP is going to play C? Just because they say they are going to explore playing him more at C right now doesn't lead to that.
GaiusVelleius
Ballboy
And1: 39

Post#384 » by GaiusVelleius » Tue Dec 3, 2019 5:51 pm

J_T wrote:

Who says that KP is going to play C? Just because they say they are going to explore playing him more at C right now doesn't lead to that.
I never said it, but people around here talk about it.

Sent from my SM-T280 using RealGM mobile app
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,904

Post#385 » by Dirk » Thu Dec 5, 2019 11:35 am

bran muffin wrote:https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/12/2/20991249/post-up-dead-nba-brooklyn-nets-joel-embiid

This is why the Mavs don't want KP posting up.

This is is also why the Mavs do not need to acquire a traditional big like Steven Adams just for his post defens.

You should find a way to watch the TNT pre-game show from the mavs/pels the other night. It was hilarious, "should post him up 10-15 times a night".

There's some miscommunication here. The types of post ups we're talking about with KP is when he is matched up with say... Lonzo Ball the other night. He should and hopefully will take advantage of those in time. So you just figure that he and Luka will be looking to exploit those switches in the future --- it actually kind of feels you've seen some plays designed for that.

Our guy, last night

I liked this one. Gathered the ball. Paced himself. Then took shot.
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

Again, here he showed more patience than usual. Was able to absorb contact and draw a foul.

Bonus, punked KAT
Spoiler:

In general though: we should not be looking to run the offense through him or actively looking to see him posting up, etc. But on some mismatches, in the future, that is surely something you'd want to see, you get the switch on a small. He towers over them. He will be patient and get off a quality shot that will be efficient offense --- by the way, I have appreciated how he can pass the ball, so that is an added bonus on getting him the ball in those spots when he gets better.

His bread and butter should be policing the defense though and he seems to be bringing in good energy every night. So it's all good with me.
60/21/10
Paija
Junior
And1: 305

Post#386 » by Paija » Thu Dec 5, 2019 3:50 pm

The problem with posting up guards is somewhat related to his height. It is easy for Barkley to suggest it - he is not so tall.
When KP was on Knicks there were several cases when he was having his back to the basket and then he turns, elevates the ball .... and hits his defender in face with the elbow. See the last exhibit, number 2. If that was Marcus Smart, he would be closer and KP would get an offensive foul because the defender was hit in the face.

Also usually when players try to get closer to the basket, they use their shoulders to move the defender a bit back. It is mostly a legal move if I understand. Now imagine for KP - at the level of his shoulders there is either air, or a head of a defender. His elbows could be at the face/neck level for a smaller defenders, so difficult to use those also. The only part he could use is maybe his bum :) So it is easy to suggest, but he can use some posting up only on tallest players.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#387 » by bran muffin » Thu Dec 5, 2019 9:09 pm

Dirk wrote:In general though: we should not be looking to run the offense through him or actively looking to see him posting up, etc. But on some mismatches, in the future, that is surely something you'd want to see, you get the switch on a small. He towers over them. He will be patient and get off a quality shot that will be efficient offense...

I don't want to see the Mavs calling post-up plays for KP anymore. But I still want him to post up if he gets a significant mismatch on a switch. And by "significant" I mean someone 6'6" or shorter. Unfortunately players taller than that have the capability of bothering him despite his 7'3" height. Probably because they'll weigh almost as much as KP does, and so they'll be able to stand their ground (or even push him) from the post.

Two problems I see with KP right now:

He's too far from the basket when he establishes himself in the post before getting the ball. I understand centers and forwards can easily push KP out of position, because he's got only 240-lbs on a lanky 7'3" frame. But that's not an excuse if KP is being defended by a guard. How many times have we seen an opposing center plant himself under the basket on a mismatch and call for the ball, with Seth/Brunson/Delon hanging on for dear life? No reason why KP can't do the same on mismatches.

Whenever KP gets the ball, he's always rushing his shots like someone who's afraid of getting his shot blocked. This is true both in post-up situations, and in catch-n-shoot situations. I wish he would remember he's actually 7'3" tall, and take a moment to gather himself.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#388 » by Imon » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:43 pm

So there's an article on ESPN about the chaos surrounding the Knicks and in the article there are some interesting tidbits about Kristaps.
Here are the bits most relevant to the Mavs - a lot of it seems like fairly old news.

The Knicks began gauging interest in Porzingis early in 2019. According to sources, New York offered the New Orleans Pelicans a package centered around Porzingis in exchange for forward Anthony Davis. But former Pelicans general manager Dell Demps showed little interest in that discussion, and the Knicks took that as an indication that interest in Porzingis might not be as high leaguewide.

Porzingis and his brother, Janis, who serves as his agent, had planned to meet with management to discuss his future in January. Once the Porzingis brothers found out that the Knicks were discussing a trade with the Dallas Mavericks, sources said, they hurried a meeting the next morning and asked to be moved to one of four destinations: the Nets, Clippers, Raptors or Heat.

The meeting was brief, and the Knicks agreed to terms with Dallas before the brothers had returned from the suburbs to their Manhattan home.

I bolded a portion of the article I found particularly interesting. Does anyone have concerns that the Mavs were not initially on the list of teams KP wanted to go to?
I suspect KP was growing disillusioned by the dysfunction that surrounds the Knicks organization and didn't want to spend the rest of his career winning 25-30 games a season. If the Mavs can remain competitive going into the future I'm sure KP will feel a greater sense of professional accomplishment and will stay engaged with the team.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#389 » by DJ_3_Ball » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:14 am

Imon wrote:... Does anyone have concerns that the Mavs were not initially on the list of teams KP wanted to go to?...

I would if Porzingis hadn't just signed a 5 year $158 mil extension
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#390 » by Dirk » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:09 am

dirkforpres wrote:PORZINGIS POSTER!!!!

Imon wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:That was my favorite play from Porzingis all year!!

Dunkzingis.

Should we trade him riht now? Just kidding.

Oh, he can't handle Drummond

Blocking everyone
Spoiler:

Bricking on purpose to then have the flashy move

Did it again

They say I'm soft

Spoiler:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Imon wrote:Good to see KP actually attacking the basket.
I really hopes his shots start falling though...

The shots will start to fall in time. Porzingis can shoot the ball. I'm not worried about that.

I just saw Porzingis back Drummond down 3-4 feet and execute a pretty turnaround fade away.

I'm worried about the mentality. He's cowered to much smaller guys, like Josh Hart, etc.

I wanna see more attack dog like we just saw with that back down of Drummond.

Imon wrote:KP doesn't stand a chance against Drummond.
He already looks winded too ... the altitude perhaps? I know Knicks fans constantly bring up anemia when they talk about KP.

Not only the anemia thing. Do you know some other thing? How he bends his knees when he bench presses.
60/21/10
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,932

Post#391 » by Archx » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:12 am

Dirk wrote:Should we trade him riht now? Just kidding.

You scared me there for a second. I thought you turned into the... "other guy" :lol:

But he had a monster defensive game in the 2nd half. Shut down Drummond completely.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#392 » by dirkforpres » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:20 pm

Dirk wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:PORZINGIS POSTER!!!!

Imon wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:That was my favorite play from Porzingis all year!!

Dunkzingis.

Should we trade him riht now? Just kidding.

Lol you’ll never find a quote of me saying we should trade him...

Powell on the other hand...
FIRE JASON KIDD
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#393 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Dirk, I really enjoy your post game clips. I watch the game in its entirety, but I swear every game you have a clip that I somehow missed that I'm glad I saw.

Something really, REALLY important that I just noticed from your clip. Seeing it for the 7th or 8th time now. Porzingis pump fakes the 3, and Griffin closes out hard on him. He over pursues, and why not? All KP has done so far this year is weakly attempted rushed 3s and awkward fadeaways... well not all he's done, but he'd done of enough of that to leave that impression. BUT then, like a glorious archangel sent from heaven, KP pump fakes, and uses Griffin's hard closeout against him. He gets by Griffin for 1 reason, and 1 reason only. SOLO RAZON!

Griffin respects him as a 3 point shooter. So, for those folks who think KP needs to stop shooting 3s. If he does, he doesn't get monster dunks like he had last night when he blew by Griffin.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#394 » by Dirk » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:48 pm

This man still has a few plays on offense where he looks silly. But overall, he's looking better, his recent pump fakes are a sign that things are slowing down for him a bit. The pass and the steal were really impressive.

Curious to see how he handles himself being "the man". He hasn't shown any signs that he can be an offensive hub, so it'll be interesting to see the shot distribution.

Spoiler:

60/21/10
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#395 » by Dirk » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:08 pm

Bluelabel24 wrote:did you guys see him being guarded by a 33yr old 190lbs George Hill and he wasnt able to capitalize on it.
Bottomline for me is there has to be a balance, he just cant jack up threes and also dont force post ups as well.

That was a good play. Him passing out is an evolution. He has done it a few times now. Defenders commit to him and he finds the best 3 point shooter on the team.

His passing shows: he is not a moron and he isn't a blackhole. In abstract, yeah, he should eventually be a bit better when he has a mismatch, but if he's able to draw defenders, kicking the ball out is a nice play as well.

Sequence of the game.

Bang

I think he blocked some people in these.
Spoiler:

60/21/10
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#396 » by Dirk » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:25 pm

He is really into faking and driving the ball now ah. He's looking better and better... and you have to appreciate how he's now just being smarter and more economic in his movement when facing smaller guys. Facing them up and just shooting is an evolution.

faceup

pass

d
60/21/10
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#397 » by Dirk » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:39 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Kristaps is such a beast... And we traded DSJ for him lol

Unreal right :lol:
And we got THJ aka mini Kobe on top for free.

This play is quite incredible, just how agile and coordinated he is. When you were annoyed as he made rash movements matched up with smaller plays, now you are appreciating that quickness as he makes mind blowing passes on the move or is this quick to gather himself and make a great looking shot...

Look at Embiid here. I felt sad for them.

It lead to this

Horford is pondering retirement
Spoiler:
Blocks

This also shows his quick reactions

Volleyball --- I love this play
60/21/10
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#398 » by NY 567 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:00 pm

His early struggles and Doncic missing some time might wind up being a blessing in disguise for KP and the whole team, really. His offensive struggles have forced him to improve his rebounding, passing and inside game and being featured a bit more with Doncic out has given him his swag and confidence back. When his shot is falling, his impact on both sides of the floor is insane. He's been showing just how good he is, being able to lead the Mavs to wins against the Bucks and 76ers without Doncic. Luka and KP with this bench is an elite team with a real shot at winning a title, even as early as this year.
Yogatti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,194

Post#399 » by Yogatti » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:43 am

Back in 2015, almost everyone picked KAT over Porzingis. I always knew back then Porzingis is better than KAT and he was overrated. Now 4 years later, it's clear who is the superior player.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#400 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:48 am

Yogatti wrote:Back in 2015, almost everyone picked KAT over Porzingis. I always knew back then Porzingis is better than KAT and he was overrated. Now 4 years later, it's clear who is the superior player.

Man, I don't know about that, and I'm a guy who leans towards the Euro player & I'm a huge Mavs' fan. Karl Anthony-Towns is having one hell of a year! KAT doesn't play much defense, but he's still 5th in the league in PER. KP is 83rd. I'd hardly call that clearly superior.

KP is on his well on his way to giving KAT a run for his money, though. And, the fact the Mavs are trending up & Minnesota embarrassed itself after KAT said "don't sleep on us this season" isn't going to help KAT's cause either.

Return to Dallas Mavericks