ImageImageImage

Kemba Walker sweepstakes

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

How disappointed are you if/when Kemba signs elsewhere

Very disappointed, I wanted the guy.
20%
More disappointed about not dispelling "Mavs can't attract top fas"
30%
Not disappointed, it'd be a mistake to have this guy on a max.
50%

Total votes: 10

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,074

Kemba Walker sweepstakes 

Post#1 » by Dirk » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:51 pm

Apparently this guy is likely bound for Boston.

I'm trying to figure out how interested the Mavs truly were, more concerned with the whole idea of "attracting top free agents" [not a good feeling if the Mavs had a similar offer on and the player picks the Cs] than the fact of losing out on Kemba --- the general idea being that the Mavs are likely one or two years away from truly being in position of urgency to compete... by then Kemba may be slowing down already and you would have him tied up to big money.

How much are you interested in this guy?

How disappointed are/willl you be when he signs with other team?

How invested are the Mavs in his pursuit?

Discuss below.
60/21/10
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: Kemba Walker sweepstakes 

Post#2 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:13 pm

I had to talk myself into kemba so i wouldn't say im disappointed, it truly depends on how the rest of the offseason goes, if all we do is throw big money at horford, resign powell dfs and maxi, i will be very disappointed, as will i big if we waste big money on Beverly. I have always been a favors fan and i like dlo but you never know what this team, we are awful with money to spend and handing out contracts so im prepping for another disastrous offseason, this will be like 5 in a row.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#3 » by bran muffin » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:48 pm

Dirk wrote:I'm trying to figure out how interested the Mavs truly were

It's hard to say, because the Mavs foster a very close relationship with Jeff Schwartz, Kemba's agent. If Schwartz wanted to use the Mavs as leverage for his clients' negotiations with other teams, the Mavs would be cooperative. The Mavs would tolerate or even actively encourage those rumors even if they had no real interest in the player.

Dirk wrote:the general idea being that the Mavs are likely one or two years away from truly being in position of urgency to compete... by then Kemba may be slowing down already and you would have him tied up to big money.

Unless Kawhi signs with the Lakers, then there won't be any runaway title favorites in the league next season. Or in any season for the foreseeable future. There's no Durant Warriors. There's no LeBron in Miami. There's no Kobe-Gasol Lakers.

When a team like the Raptors can win a title, it means any good playoff team can win a title. And I think Luka, Porzingis and Kemba would've given the Mavs a playoff team that is as good as any in the league.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#4 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:01 pm

bran muffin wrote:
Dirk wrote:I'm trying to figure out how interested the Mavs truly were

It's hard to say, because the Mavs foster a very close relationship with Jeff Schwartz, Kemba's agent. If Schwartz wanted to use the Mavs as leverage for his clients' negotiations with other teams, the Mavs would be cooperative. The Mavs would tolerate or even actively encourage those rumors even if they had no real interest in the player.

Dirk wrote:the general idea being that the Mavs are likely one or two years away from truly being in position of urgency to compete... by then Kemba may be slowing down already and you would have him tied up to big money.

Unless Kawhi signs with the Lakers, then there won't be any runaway title favorites in the league next season. Or in any season for the foreseeable future. There's no Durant Warriors. There's no LeBron in Miami. There's no Kobe-Gasol Lakers.

When a team like the Raptors can win a title, it means any good playoff team can win a title. And I think Luka, Porzingis and Kemba would've given the Mavs a playoff team that is as good as any in the league.

Yeah that was what I was thinking too. If Cuban had lukewarm interests on Kemba but had to ride along so Schwartz can hype his client up, then it means we are collecting favors. Not 100% in on Kemba. Would be great to have but not an end all be all type of thing. Another thing to take note is another big Schwartz client we may be targeting is Nikola Jokic who is UFA in 2022. Who knows, if Cuban helps Jeff this way, maybe he helps us in 2022.

The thing with Kemba is I go back and fourth on upfront cost vs number of years. Which makes you wonder which deal is better. Kemba at $30M for 4 years, or Beverly at $13M but for 3 years. We also have to consider we have Brunson who at least Carlisle views as a potential starter.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,039

Post#5 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:06 pm

Hope its true. Boston has a much better option in Smart, if they are foolish enough to take Kemba over him, we should gladly take him off their hands.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#6 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:21 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Hope its true. Boston has a much better option in Smart, if they are foolish enough to take Kemba over him, we should gladly take him off their hands.

I'm down. #BringHimHome
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#7 » by burek3 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:07 pm

I couldn't care less about Kemba. He's does not fill a slot of need.
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#8 » by dirkforpres » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:12 pm

I really hope the Boston rumors aren’t as true as they sound. What a great Big 3 that would be.

Assuming they are true, it’ll likely mean Dallas has a panic signing and/or a panic trade lined up... so probably Whiteside or Love along with Pat Bev
FIRE JASON KIDD
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:17 pm

dirkforpres wrote:I really hope the Boston rumors aren’t as true as they sound. What a great Big 3 that would be.

Assuming they are true, it’ll likely mean Dallas has a panic signing and/or a panic trade lined up... so probably Whiteside or Love along with Pat Bev

Just target Jonas V and PBev then.

Well, maybe DLo if he becomes available.
Lowtech801
Senior
And1: 177

Post#10 » by Lowtech801 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:17 pm

I don't think we're gonna be in the market for the top free agents until players see what Luka and Zinger look like on the court.

I've always felt we need too many players to give 1 guy the max. I only view Luka and Porzingis as starting caliber players . Brunson, Powell, Kleber, DFS are not starters on good teams. The other thing is that all three of the other starters need to be decent to good defenders and at least 2 need to be good shooters. Also ideally I'd rather get guys on fair contracts that can be moved within a couple years in case we do have the ability to get a legit star in free agency. My preference would to stretch and waive Lee. Sign Beverley and valanciunas and Hood. Then use the mle or part of the mle on Ariza. He's had a down year so should be able to afford him.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using RealGM mobile app
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:21 pm

Lowtech801 wrote:I don't think we're gonna be in the market for the top free agents until players see what Luka and Zinger look like on the court.

I've always felt we need too many players to give 1 guy the max. I only view Luka and Porzingis as starting caliber players . Brunson, Powell, Kleber, DFS are not starters on good teams. The other thing is that all three of the other starters need to be decent to good defenders and at least 2 need to be good shooters. Also ideally I'd rather get guys on fair contracts that can be moved within a couple years in case we do have the ability to get a legit star in free agency. My preference would to stretch and waive Lee. Sign Beverley and valanciunas and Hood. Then use the mle or part of the mle on Ariza. He's had a down year so should be able to afford him.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254505/Kings-76ers-Could-Pursue-Al-Horford
Just give him what he wants, and other players will follow. A Big 3 can recruit way better than a Big 2.

If not Horford, then there are other options out there. Jonas, Dedmon, DeAndre, maybe Capela and Whiteside, etc.. If not PBev, then other guys like DLo, Brogdon, Rubio, maybe Marcus Smart, Mudiay, Collison, Sato, etc..

Then there are guys like Danny Green, Ariza, Lamb, Ross, etc..

There are options, but you gotta get that next big fish first, and that's why I think the Mavs should target Horford with everything that they have.
Lowtech801
Senior

Post#12 » by Lowtech801 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:22 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:I don't think we're gonna be in the market for the top free agents until players see what Luka and Zinger look like on the court.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254505/Kings-76ers-Could-Pursue-Al-Horford
Just give him what he wants, and other players will follow. A Big 3 can recruit way better than a Big 2.

If not Horford, then there are other options out there. Jonas, Dedmon, DeAndre, maybe Capela and Whiteside, etc.. If not PBev, then other guys like DLo, Brogdon, Rubio, maybe Marcus Smart, Mudiay, Collison, Sato, etc..

There are options, but you gotta get that next big fish first, and that's why I think the Mavs should target Horford with everything that they have.
We wont be able to afford others if we sign horford.

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:28 pm

Lowtech801 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

Well, you can if you can convince players to sign for the vet min or room exception. And depending on what the team does with Courtney Lee, and how much Horford actually signs for, there may be some space left over.

But let's assume that all of the cap space goes to Horford. You then want to bring back JJB for the vet min, and maybe check in with Devin Harris and Tyson Chandler.

Then use the room cap exception on a guy like Thabo Sefolosha maybe?

C: Horford/Powell/Tyson
PF: KP/Kleber/Kostas
SF: DFS/Justin Jackson/Thabo
SG: Luka/THJ/Broekhoff
PG: Brunson/Barea/Devin Harris

That's a solid team. I like how there's a starting space available for someone to break out, or even acquire an upgrade during the season.

The real key would be the summer of 2020 when the team has the FULL Taxpayer's MLE available to them. They could definitely get a decent player with that.

At the end of the day, we all know the Mavs aren't going to win the championship this season. It's about having the young core develop, mature, and glue together, while also picking up another asset that makes the Mavericks a more appealing destination.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#14 » by dirkforpres » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:29 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:I really hope the Boston rumors aren’t as true as they sound. What a great Big 3 that would be.

Personally, I think D’angelo is a better fit here than Kemba is but it doesn’t seem like the Mavs FO is very high on him.

If we opt to split the cap room on Beverley, Bogdanovic, and then go for a big man (Randle for the MLE... or Whiteside, Capela, or Drummond in a trade) is a solid summer though and likely the most attainable path
FIRE JASON KIDD
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:29 pm

Lowtech801 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

Is this assuming that Lee doesn't get waived/stretched?
Lowtech801
Senior

Post#16 » by Lowtech801 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:31 pm

Deleted
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:32 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

Personally, I think D’angelo is a better fit here than Kemba is but it doesn’t seem like the Mavs FO is very high on him.

If we opt to split the cap room on Beverley, Bogdanovic, and then go for a big man (Randle for the MLE... or Whiteside, Capela, or Drummond in a trade) is a solid summer though and likely the most attainable path

DLo seems to be a better fit than Kemba, yes, I agree, but DLo broke out in a contract year, has had injury issues in the past, and wasn't even Brooklyn's best option until LeVert went down.

I'd still take him based off of his age and potential though.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:36 pm

Lowtech801 wrote:DFS has been in the league long enough to know he's not a starting level wing. Good rotation players yes but not a starter. Brunson's ceiling is 6th man.

Put THJ in the starting lineup then, or Justin Jackson. I like DFS there because of defense, but we all like different things.

Brunson is a 6th man type for sure, but if you spend all of the cap space on Horford, then you're gonna need other players to step up. Brunson showed he was capable of that last year, and Barea has shown that throughout his career. You could also go with lineups where all the true PGs are on the bench, have Luka play the primary ball-handler role, and then throw out THJ and Justin Jackson/DFS at the 3 spot.

It's still a massive upgrade from the rotation that closed out the season this past season.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:39 pm

Lowtech801 wrote:Deleted

lol, if it was about Lee, then hey, the team is probably going to do something with him to create cap space. If they waive him, they get an additional $8-8.5M. If they trade him, they might be able to clear up more than that.

So maybe give Horford $30M this year, and then use the rest on a guy like PBev? Heck, the rest that is left over could go to a guy like Ariza maybe.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#20 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:41 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:DFS has been in the league long enough to know he's not a starting level wing. Good rotation players yes but not a starter. Brunson's ceiling is 6th man.

Put THJ in the starting lineup then, or Justin Jackson. I like DFS there because of defense, but we all like different things.

Brunson is a 6th man type for sure, but if you spend all of the cap space on Horford, then you're gonna need other players to step up. Brunson showed he was capable of that last year, and Barea has shown that throughout his career. You could also go with lineups where all the true PGs are on the bench, have Luka play the primary ball-handler role, and then throw out THJ and Justin Jackson/DFS at the 3 spot.

It's still a massive upgrade from the rotation that closed out the season this past season.

Too early to tell on Brunson IMO.

If we judged Nash based on his first season, he would belong in the D-League. A couple of years of polishing and the guy coughed up back to back MVP years. Not saying Brunson is bound to do the same, but let's reserve judgement. Carlisle sees something special in the kid.

Return to Dallas Mavericks