ImageImageImage

Kemba Walker sweepstakes

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

How disappointed are you if/when Kemba signs elsewhere

Very disappointed, I wanted the guy.
20%
More disappointed about not dispelling "Mavs can't attract top fas"
30%
Not disappointed, it'd be a mistake to have this guy on a max.
50%

Total votes: 10

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Re: Kemba Walker sweepstakes 

Post#21 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:43 pm

arkuo wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:DFS has been in the league long enough to know he's not a starting level wing. Good rotation players yes but not a starter. Brunson's ceiling is 6th man.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using RealGM mobile app

Put THJ in the starting lineup then, or Justin Jackson. I like DFS there because of defense, but we all like different things.

Brunson is a 6th man type for sure, but if you spend all of the cap space on Horford, then you're gonna need other players to step up. Brunson showed he was capable of that last year, and Barea has shown that throughout his career. You could also go with lineups where all the true PGs are on the bench, have Luka play the primary ball-handler role, and then throw out THJ and Justin Jackson/DFS at the 3 spot.

It's still a massive upgrade from the rotation that closed out the season this past season.

Too early to tell on Brunson IMO.

If we judged Nash based on his first season, he would belong in the D-League. A couple of years of polishing and the guy coughed up back to back MVP years. Not saying Brunson is bound to do the same, but let's reserve judgement. Carlisle sees something special in the kid.

True. I like how savvy Brunson is.
Lowtech801
Senior
And1: 177

Post#22 » by Lowtech801 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:47 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254505/Kings-76ers-Could-Pursue-Al-Horford
Just give him what he wants, and other players will follow. A Big 3 can recruit way better than a Big 2.

If not Horford, then there are other options out there. Jonas, Dedmon, DeAndre, maybe Capela and Whiteside, etc.. If not PBev, then other guys like DLo, Brogdon, Rubio, maybe Marcus Smart, Mudiay, Collison, Sato, etc..

Then there are guys like Danny Green, Ariza, Lamb, Ross, etc..

There are options, but you gotta get that next big fish first, and that's why I think the Mavs should target Horford with everything that they have.
We wont be able to afford others if we sign horford.

Well, you can if you can convince players to sign for the vet min or room exception. And depending on what the team does with Courtney Lee, and how much Horford actually signs for, there may be some space left over.

But let's assume that all of the cap space goes to Horford. You then want to bring back JJB for the vet min, and maybe check in with Devin Harris and Tyson Chandler.

Then use the room cap exception on a guy like Thabo Sefolosha maybe?

C: Horford/Powell/Tyson
PF: KP/Kleber/Kostas
SF: DFS/Justin Jackson/Thabo
SG: Luka/THJ/Broekhoff
PG: Brunson/Barea/Devin Harris

That's a solid team. I like how there's a starting space available for someone to break out, or even acquire an upgrade during the season.

The real key would be the summer of 2020 when the team has the FULL Taxpayer's MLE available to them. They could definitely get a decent player with that.

At the end of the day, we all know the Mavs aren't going to win the championship this season. It's about having the young core develop, mature, and glue together, while also picking up another asset that makes the Mavericks a more appealing destination.
The problem is adding Horford is not ginna convince others to come for vet min. Only good players that do that are older guys that wanna get that ring before they retire and they wouldn't come because we still wouldn't be a title contender. If we stretch and waive Lee we could probably still afford both ariza and hood because one of em could be had for part of the mle. But not Beverley.

Valanciunas + Beverley > Horford

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#23 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:02 pm

Lowtech801 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:We wont be able to afford others if we sign horford.

Well, you can if you can convince players to sign for the vet min or room exception. And depending on what the team does with Courtney Lee, and how much Horford actually signs for, there may be some space left over.

But let's assume that all of the cap space goes to Horford. You then want to bring back JJB for the vet min, and maybe check in with Devin Harris and Tyson Chandler.

Then use the room cap exception on a guy like Thabo Sefolosha maybe?

C: Horford/Powell/Tyson
PF: KP/Kleber/Kostas
SF: DFS/Justin Jackson/Thabo
SG: Luka/THJ/Broekhoff
PG: Brunson/Barea/Devin Harris

That's a solid team. I like how there's a starting space available for someone to break out, or even acquire an upgrade during the season.

The real key would be the summer of 2020 when the team has the FULL Taxpayer's MLE available to them. They could definitely get a decent player with that.

At the end of the day, we all know the Mavs aren't going to win the championship this season. It's about having the young core develop, mature, and glue together, while also picking up another asset that makes the Mavericks a more appealing destination.
The problem is adding Horford is not ginna convince others to come for vet min. Only good players that do that are older guys that wanna get that ring before they retire and they wouldn't come because we still wouldn't be a title contender. If we stretch and waive Lee we could probably still afford both ariza and hood because one of em could be had for part of the mle. But not Beverley.

Valanciunas + Beverley > Horford

I'm fine with that.

DLo + Jonas V would be dope.
I'd be ok with DLo + Julius Randle

Return to Dallas Mavericks