ImageImageImage

Mavericks Are About $18.3 Million Under The Tax Apron Right Now

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Mavericks Are About $18.3 Million Under The Tax Apron Right Now 

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:45 am

The Mavericks Are About $18.3 Million Under The Tax Apron Right Now. The number that I have calculated is $18,326,482.00 and that includes a minimum contract hold for the 15th roster spot.

NOT including that 15th roster spot, the Mavs are at about $19.93 Million under the apron.

By using the Bi-Annual exception on Boban, the Mavs are hard capped at the apron, which should preserve their right to use the Full, Non-TaxPayer's MLE next year (starting salary would be around $9.5 million). Maybe the Mavs can get a Lowry type of player for that amount, but we'll revisit that point next offseason.

Anyway, the main point of this thread is that the Mavs cannot acquire more than $6,500,788.00 extra cap holds in a trade this year, after using their TPE. Of course, that total could change if the Mavs waive someone and sign someone else to a minimum contract (in other words, the number could change if the Mavs' dead cap number increases at any point this season).

The remaining value of the TPE is $11,825,694.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Re: Mavericks Are About $18.3 Million Under The Tax Apron Right Now 

Post#2 » by bran muffin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:46 am

Even though the Mavs are hard capped at the apron, their practical ceiling is probably the luxury tax line. There's no sense in exceeding the luxury tax and prematurely starting the countdown to repeater taxes. If they're smart (and they are), they won't start the countdown until they've gone all-in with a championship contending roster. Obviously, that's not this season.

If we assume they'll add a minimum vet for the 15th roster spot, then they'll be $12M below the luxury tax line. Not coincidentally, that is the same amount as their TPE. They can use that TPE to take a $12M contract off another team's hands, without going into the tax.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:52 am

bran muffin wrote:Even though the Mavs are hard capped at the apron, their practical ceiling is probably the luxury tax line. There's no sense in exceeding the luxury tax and prematurely starting the countdown to repeater taxes. If they're smart (and they are), they won't start the countdown until they've gone all-in with a championship contending roster. Obviously, that's not this season.

If we assume they'll add a minimum vet for the 15th roster spot, then they'll be $12M below the luxury tax line. Not coincidentally, that is the same amount as their TPE. They can use that TPE to take a $12M contract off another team's hands, without going into the tax.

True, but if a trade comes along where it puts them in a good spot to contend in 2020-21, then they should do it. If CP3 + Adams is on the table in a few months (probably won't be though), then I think they should do it.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#4 » by arkuo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:40 am

CP3 or Adams wont move the needle past the top 5 teams in the West. I dont think getting them would be worth the cost IMO.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:02 am

arkuo wrote:CP3 or Adams wont move the needle past the top 5 teams in the West. I dont think getting them would be worth the cost IMO.

I can see that, but I do think acquiring them moves the needle enough to put them in the playoffs this year. Heck, it might put them in a position to win the division this year, since I'd like how the team would match up against both Houston and SAS on paper.

Then during the summer of 2020, the team signs somebody with the full MLE, along with possibly trading away their first round draft pick. Then they can sign some vets for cheap on the min and/or develop any young players they still have a hold of, like Reaves, Kostas, Roby, etc.. Depending on who exactly they get that summer, it could put them in line to compete for a championship.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:59 am

arkuo wrote:CP3 or Adams wont move the needle past the top 5 teams in the West. I dont think getting them would be worth the cost IMO.

What about Adams or Gallo now?
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#7 » by arkuo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:05 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:

As with anything, it mostly depends on who we have to give up to get those two names from a division rival.

Almost anyone would be an upgrade over Dwight Powell right now. For those two you listed, even more so.

If we could get one of Adams or Gallo for Dwight and Courtney Lee, I'd be ecstatic. Getting Adams will slow our offense down a bit, but I have half a mind to try it out just to get KP's offense going, At the rate Luka is going now (scoring 40 point triple doubles) is not sustainable. He will hit a wall of defense come playoff time and there will be a point when he can't do it all. Our max player in KP has to help with the scoring load, personally I would be able if him and Luka can average 30 a piece.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#8 » by J_T » Sun Dec 1, 2019 12:34 am

arkuo wrote:At the rate Luka is going now (scoring 40 point triple doubles) is not sustainable. He will hit a wall of defense come playoff time and there will be a point when he can't do it all.

You are right, he can't hit a 3-pointer at the moment. If those start going in, he will be having 50-point triple doubles. :D
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#9 » by Tiny ball » Mon Dec 2, 2019 12:04 pm

J_T wrote:
arkuo wrote:At the rate Luka is going now (scoring 40 point triple doubles) is not sustainable. He will hit a wall of defense come playoff time and there will be a point when he can't do it all.

You are right, he can't hit a 3-pointer at the moment. If those start going in, he will be having 50-point triple doubles. :D

If he gets hot from 3 maybe 60-point triple doubles. If Dallas just played faster might be near 50 not hitting The 3 ball.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Dec 9, 2019 7:59 pm

arkuo wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

As with anything, it mostly depends on who we have to give up to get those two names from a division rival.

Almost anyone would be an upgrade over Dwight Powell right now. For those two you listed, even more so.

If we could get one of Adams or Gallo for Dwight and Courtney Lee, I'd be ecstatic. Getting Adams will slow our offense down a bit, but I have half a mind to try it out just to get KP's offense going, At the rate Luka is going now (scoring 40 point triple doubles) is not sustainable. He will hit a wall of defense come playoff time and there will be a point when he can't do it all. Our max player in KP has to help with the scoring load, personally I would be able if him and Luka can average 30 a piece.

THJ, Lee, Powell, Cash, 2026 first round pick, and pick swaps in 2020, 22, and 25 (likely to be swapped with Clippers, but potential to be swapped with Miami or OKC depending on the year).

Mavs get Steven Adams and Gallo.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#11 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:23 am

HairyGOATee wrote:
arkuo wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

THJ, Lee, Powell, Cash, 2026 first round pick, and pick swaps in 2020, 22, and 25 (likely to be swapped with Clippers, but potential to be swapped with Miami or OKC depending on the year).

I don't know what OKC would do on that. I wouldn't want to deal away that many pick swaps. Powell is 28, so to be honest, I don't really know how much value he has league wide. OKC would have to wait until the summer to flip him. Maybe a 3rd team could get involved that could offer OKC a younger piece & that might make the trade more feasible. Powell could help GSW, TOR, POR, MIN, etc. Modest help, but help they might be willing to offer up a younger player and/or a pick for.

My question is, how does Steven Adams, Gallinari and Porzingis all work on the same roster?
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,763

Post#12 » by Archx » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:29 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
arkuo wrote:

I don't know what OKC would do on that. I wouldn't want to deal away that many pick swaps. Powell is 28, so to be honest, I don't really know how much value he has league wide. OKC would have to wait until the summer to flip him. Maybe a 3rd team could get involved that could offer OKC a younger piece & that might make the trade more feasible. Powell could help GSW, TOR, POR, MIN, etc. Modest help, but help they might be willing to offer up a younger player and/or a pick for.

My question is, how does Steven Adams, Gallinari and Porzingis all work on the same roster?

Why would you risk trading away Powell? He's the best guy for Luka on the team. It would destroy their whole chemistry. They are not losing games because of lack of talent but because they don't give enough effort through the entire game.

If you need more spacing obviously Gallo would be the right answer but if you want to completely close down the lane then Adams. But they won't come cheap. Don't think Mavs could afford them unless OKC blows it up.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:18 am

Archx wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

Why would you risk trading away Powell? He's the best guy for Luka on the team. It would destroy their whole chemistry. They are not losing games because of lack of talent but because they don't give enough effort through the entire game.

If you need more spacing obviously Gallo would be the right answer but if you want to completely close down the lane then Adams. But they won't come cheap. Don't think Mavs could afford them unless OKC blows it up.

Steven Adams can catch lobs and rim roll too. Powell isn't that great of a shooter, and Adams is an upgrade on defense and the offensive glass. 2nd chance points can be huge in the playoffs. Plus Powell is on a longer deal, so trading him away helps open up cap space in 2022 when Luka is due an extension, which seems like it'll be of the SuperMax variety.

Gallo spaces the floor, yes, but he'll be the replacement for THJ, and in the short-run, he's an upgrade over him too.

Also, Adams is a stronger pick/screen setter than Powell, so while he might close down the lane, he is also able to open it up and spring people free for drives and pull-up Js. He can also serve as the team's defensive anchor, something that KP has to do right now, and while KP's shot defense is good, he's better suited as a weakside, help defender. However, he and Adams could still run switches together and stuff.

Powell is efficient, sure, but that's also partly due to Carlisle's system. Let's not forget that Tyson Chandler and Brandan Wright played similar roles and were also very efficient. And to be frank, Maxi Kleber has actually done well with rim rolls and pick setting too this year. In those situations, he has been pretty darn efficient, but I will concede that on the whole, he's less efficient than Powell because he actually shoots around 3.8 three-pointers per game. That'll inevitably lend itself to lower efficiency, especially since Powell only shoots around 0.7 3PAs per game.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:23 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
arkuo wrote:

The pick swaps would be LAC's or Miami's first round pick for the Mavs first round pick. They'll only drop a few spots, and Cuban built the Mavs through trades, let's not forget that.

OKC may want more, so if that's the case, then give them $5.6 million cash (the max you can dish out in a trade) since OKC actually places a high value on cash. They can throw in Golden State's 2nd round pick this year too if they want, and heck, I'm OK with throwing in Roby as well.

Although if they want Brunson, I'd hesitate and think it over for a bit.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:29 am

Mavs also have the ability to give the Thunder two first round picks, but it'd have to be done in a bit of a creative way.

1. Mavs remove the protections on the 2023 first rounder they sent to the Knicks
2. Mavs would need both 2021 and 2023 picks coming back in return in a trade (fortunately enough, I think the Thunder own the Clippers and/or Heat's first rounders those years, so they don't have to give up their own picks)
3. Mavs send OKC first round picks in 2020, 22, 24, and 26.

So the Thunder's net gain in first round draft picks would be 2, which was what the Mavs gave the Knicks for KP (albeit, KP wanted out, DSJ was a recent first round pick, NYK was able to unload two "bad" deals on the Mavs, while Wes and DeAndre were expiring contracts).

And again, if the net gain of 2 first round picks isn't enough, they can still offer a pick swap in 2021, 23, and 25. And yes, Mavs would still have Roby, GSW's 2nd rounder this year, and $5.6 million cash to throw at the Thunder.

Obviously doing all of that would WAY too much, but the larger issue that I am trying to convey is that the Mavs can give the Thunder plenty of reasons to pull the trigger on the deal.
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,763

Post#16 » by Archx » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:36 am

HairyGOATee wrote:
Archx wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Steven Adams can catch lobs and rim roll too. Powell isn't that great of a shooter, and Adams is an upgrade on defense and the offensive glass. 2nd chance points can be huge in the playoffs. Plus Powell is on a longer deal, so trading him away helps open up cap space in 2022 when Luka is due an extension, which seems like it'll be of the SuperMax variety.

Gallo spaces the floor, yes, but he'll be the replacement for THJ, and in the short-run, he's an upgrade over him too.

Also, Adams is a stronger pick/screen setter than Powell, so while he might close down the lane, he is also able to open it up and spring people free for drives and pull-up Js. He can also serve as the team's defensive anchor, something that KP has to do right now, and while KP's shot defense is good, he's better suited as a weakside, help defender. However, he and Adams could still run switches together and stuff.

Powell is efficient, sure, but that's also partly due to Carlisle's system. Let's not forget that Tyson Chandler and Brandan Wright played similar roles and were also very efficient. And to be frank, Maxi Kleber has actually done well with rim rolls and pick setting too this year. In those situations, he has been pretty darn efficient, but I will concede that on the whole, he's less efficient than Powell because he actually shoots around 3.8 three-pointers per game. That'll inevitably lend itself to lower efficiency, especially since Powell only shoots around 0.7 3PAs per game.

I don't disagree but at the same time, i wouldn't touch this roster just yet. At least wait until the deadline. And like i said, don't forget chemistry. This team is doing a lot because they know how to play with each other. No one covers for Luka on defense as much as Powell. If you watch closely, he is constantly looking on switches where Luka is and his defender. Powell is doing way more for this team than people want to give him credit for. But yes obviously Adams is a better defender. Still Maxi and Powell are great friends and do well on the court as well. I don't know if Cuban will have the balls to mess up what they have right now.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#17 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:45 am

HairyGOATee wrote:Steven Adams can catch lobs and rim roll too. Powell isn't that great of a shooter, and Adams is an upgrade on defense and the offensive glass. 2nd chance points can be huge in the playoffs. Plus Powell is on a longer deal, so trading him away helps open up cap space in 2022 when Luka is due an extension, which seems like it'll be of the SuperMax variety.

I wasn't asking for you to make a case for either player, Gallinari or Adams.

I want to know how you put Porzingis 7-3, Adams 6-11, and Gallinari 6-10 on the court together at the same time?

You're relegating one of those players to the bench, if you do not start them, which is a waste. You're also limiting Kleber's minutes if you do that, and you're making Boban an afterthought.

If you do start all 3, any coach with half a brain is going to play small ball vs that lineup.
Lowtech801
Senior
And1: 177

Post#18 » by Lowtech801 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:25 am

HairyGOATee wrote:

I think that would be too much change during the season and we could end up falling out of the playoff picture while adjusting to a very different team. Wouldn't mind Gallo for Powell and Lee plus picks. As that would force Porzingis into the roll man plus add more shooting. But Adams would make no sense at that point.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using RealGM mobile app
GaiusVelleius
Ballboy
And1: 39

Post#19 » by GaiusVelleius » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:56 am

Lowtech801 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

I think that would be too much change during the season and we could end up falling out of the playoff picture while adjusting to a very different team. Wouldn't mind Gallo for Powell and Lee plus picks. As that would force Porzingis into the roll man plus add more shooting. But Adams would make no sense at that point.

I'm not the biggest fan of Powell, but the gap between him and Adams certainly isn't as big as some are suggesting. And surely not worth 15 million additional salary. No way I'm attaching a 1st to take on that Adams contract. I think many here are overrating him grossly. Gallo is a different question, but he could leave after the year and you probably do not want to pay him considering 2021. So what is a rental worth then?

Sent from my GT-I8200N using RealGM mobile app
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:34 pm

GaiusVelleius wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

I'm not the biggest fan of Powell, but the gap between him and Adams certainly isn't as big as some are suggesting. And surely not worth 15 million additional salary. No way I'm attaching a 1st to take on that Adams contract. I think many here are overrating him grossly. Gallo is a different question, but he could leave after the year and you probably do not want to pay him considering 2021. So what is a rental worth then?

Sent from my GT-I8200N using RealGM mobile app

Adams' contract expires quicker than Powell's, and it's not like we are the ones that actually pay for Adams. But I do see your point; however, let's consider that Luka is due an extension in 2022, which will likely be a SuperMax. Getting Powell off the books might help with that. But of course, hoping that the NBA expands, nurtures its relationship with China, and then lures India in as well are all good for cap growth too.

I also think that the Mavs could give Gallo a decently sized 2 year contract, which could help keep him around. But yeah, if it's just a rental, then the amount of draft capital the Mavs give will have to be reduced.

Return to Dallas Mavericks