ImageImageImage

Willy Hernangomez: Would He Fit In With This Team?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Willy Hernangomez: Would He Fit In With This Team? 

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:14 am

What do you all think of Willy Hernangomez as a potential big that could join the Mavs?

My thinking is that the Mavs could make a trade like this in a few months

Mavs Get:
Batum
Hernangomez

Hornets Get:
Courtney Lee
Somebody Mavs pick up using the rest of the TPE
Broekhoff

Mavs would of course open up a roster spot by doing this, which could mean a promotion for a guy like Roby or Reaves (as of right now, I think the Mavs should cut Cleveland, sign Roby to a 2 year deal, use the TPE, and then when the Mavs use the TPE and make a trade like this, they can promote someone and bring back Cleveland on a TWP deal).

The lineup would then look like this

Delon/Brunson/Barea
Luka/Curry/Reaves
Batum/THJ/Jackson
KP/Kleber/DFS
Powell/Boban/Hernangomez

I actually like that a lot tbh. Good mix of youth, experience, length, athleticism, defense, playmaking, and shooting.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Re: Willy Hernangomez: Would He Fit In With This Team? 

Post#2 » by Darren » Sat Aug 3, 2019 12:31 pm

How many unprotected first is sent to Mavs?
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#3 » by dirkforpres » Sat Aug 3, 2019 1:23 pm

I want no part of Batum. Lee’s expiring contract alone should be able to fetch more than just a 3rd string center and a terrible contract in return.

If that’s all he is worth, I’d rather just let him expire and get the cap space back
FIRE JASON KIDD
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 4, 2019 5:17 am

dirkforpres wrote:I want no part of Batum. Lee’s expiring contract alone should be able to fetch more than just a 3rd string center and a terrible contract in return.

If that’s all he is worth, I’d rather just let him expire and get the cap space back

Mavs won't be under the cap next year either way though.

And Batum's contract would be a massive expiring in 2021, which could potentially be used at the deadline with THJ's expiring.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 4, 2019 5:18 am

Darren wrote:How many unprotected first is sent to Mavs?

Hornets not gonna send an unprotected first round, but maybe they'd send a protected one.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#6 » by arkuo » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:37 pm

The Hernangomez brothers are free agents next summer. Earning $2M and $1.5M each. If Dallas wants them, they could easily get them IMO.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#7 » by dirkforpres » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:44 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:

Hornets not gonna send an unprotected first round, but maybe they'd send a protected one.

Given the state of their franchise, I doubt they are sending any picks out at all for any deal. That team looks like it won’t be winning more than 30 games in the next 5 years
FIRE JASON KIDD
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,530

Post#8 » by jpengland » Sun Aug 4, 2019 5:05 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:What do you all think of Willy Hernangomez as a potential big that could join the Mavs?

Mavs Get:
Batum
Hernangomez

Hornets Get:
Courtney Lee
Broekhoff

Mavs would of course open up a roster spot by doing this, which could mean a promotion for a guy like Roby or Reaves (as of right now, I think the Mavs should cut Cleveland, sign Roby to a 2 year deal, use the TPE, and then when the Mavs use the TPE and make a trade like this, they can promote someone and bring back Cleveland on a TWP deal).

Delon/Brunson/Barea
Luka/Curry/Reaves
Batum/THJ/Jackson
KP/Kleber/DFS
Powell/Boban/Hernangomez

I actually like that a lot tbh. Good mix of youth, experience, length, athleticism, defense, playmaking, and shooting.

Give me a pick swap in 2 of next 5 years and I'm in. Otherwise I want no part of Batum.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:21 pm

arkuo wrote:The Hernangomez brothers are free agents next summer. Earning $2M and $1.5M each. If Dallas wants them, they could easily get them IMO.

Yeah, for sure. Maybe just sent Broekhoff for Hernangomez. Ionno if either team would want more than just that, but if they do, then scrap the deal. Willy isn't special or anything, so Mavs can do without him. I just want an insurance policy in case KP, Boban, Powell, or Kleber gets injured.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:23 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

Given the state of their franchise, I doubt they are sending any picks out at all for any deal. That team looks like it won’t be winning more than 30 games in the next 5 years

Agreed.

Well, maybe 2nd round picks, which the Mavs kinda like all of a sudden. Not for themselves, but just as throw ins for other deals.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:25 pm

jpengland wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:What do you all think of Willy Hernangomez as a potential big that could join the Mavs?

Mavs Get:
Batum
Hernangomez

Hornets Get:
Courtney Lee
Broekhoff

Delon/Brunson/Barea
Luka/Curry/Reaves
Batum/THJ/Jackson
KP/Kleber/DFS
Powell/Boban/Hernangomez

Give me a pick swap in 2 of next 5 years and I'm in. Otherwise I want no part of Batum.

Maybe Mavs can get an unprotected pick in 2023 and then turn around and make another deal with the Thunder or something where they can then include their 2024 and 2026 picks. Steven Adams maybe?
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#12 » by bobsquad » Mon Aug 5, 2019 12:53 am

No way rebuilding Charlotte gives up a pick or pick swap to save money, especially when there's no difference in years. I know they're not the most forward-thinking organization, but they have no reason to attach any assets to Batum.
Lowtech801
Senior
And1: 177

Post#13 » by Lowtech801 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 7:00 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
jpengland wrote:

Mavs Get:
Batum
Hernangomez

Hornets Get:
Courtney Lee
Broekhoff

Delon/Brunson/Barea
Luka/Curry/Reaves
Batum/THJ/Jackson
KP/Kleber/DFS
Powell/Boban/Hernangomez

Maybe Mavs can get an unprotected pick in 2023 and then turn around and make another deal with the Thunder or something where they can then include their 2024 and 2026 picks. Steven Adams maybe?
I like Adams and would love to have him here but thats way too much for him especially considering how overpaid he is.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using RealGM mobile app
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:01 am

bobsquad wrote:No way rebuilding Charlotte gives up a pick or pick swap to save money, especially when there's no difference in years. I know they're not the most forward-thinking organization, but they have no reason to attach any assets to Batum.

Yeah, that's how I see it, unless the Mavs give them expirings, but even then, it's a difference of one year vs. two years. There will be other teams interested in Batum by the deadline, so they might actually get a pick in a deal for him instead of giving one up.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:09 am

Lowtech801 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
jpengland wrote:

I like Adams and would love to have him here but thats way too much for him especially considering how overpaid he is.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using RealGM mobile app

The key would involve extending Adams at a more appropriate price. At least they'd have his rights.

But I'm also not advocating that the Mavs give up two first round picks for him. I'm really just saying that if they get an unprotected 2023 first round pick, they can then give up their 2024 and 2026 picks. I could see a scenario where the Thunder give them a 2023 pick so that the Mavs can give them those two picks. That way the Mavs would really only lose one pick.

But ionno what kind of incentive the Thunder have to trade away Adams at this point. They might want to rebuild with him. And honestly, they have the likes of CP3, Schroder, Gilgeous, Gallo, & Steven Adams.....that's not terrible, especially if CP3 rebounds this season. Maybe they'd like to compete a little with that lineup, so that fans still show up to their games. That team won't make playoffs, but I think they could surprise some people. However, the Thunder will probably be looking for deals that involve all of those players except Shai and Adams. I could see a world where they keep those two players as part of their rebuild and use them as older/more experienced vets when they get the young talent they want. They can be nice glue guys for sure.
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#16 » by BigRedDog » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:35 am

hernangomez is not worth anything. hes a good fantasy basketball player but not a real one.

Just typical knicks fans hyping up anyone who can rub two sticks together. People wouldnt even know this guy exists if it hadnt been for knicks fans claiming they had something
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:45 pm

BigRedDog wrote:hernangomez is not worth anything. hes a good fantasy basketball player but not a real one.

Just typical knicks fans hyping up anyone who can rub two sticks together. People wouldnt even know this guy exists if it hadnt been for knicks fans claiming they had something

Yeah, I scouted him by watching tape. He's not much at all tbh.

Return to Dallas Mavericks