ImageImageImage

Best Fit With This Roster: Roby, Reaves, or Cleveland?

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

Who Is The Best Fit With This Roster, Roby, Reaves, or Cleveland?

Isaiah Roby
67%
Josh Reaves
33%
Antonius Cleveland
No votes

Total votes: 3

HairyGOATee
Senior
And1: 337

Best Fit With This Roster: Roby, Reaves, or Cleveland? 

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:31 am

Who is the best fit with this roster?
Roby, Reaves, or Cleveland?
HairyGOATee
Senior

Re: Best Fit With This Roster: Roby, Reaves, or Cleveland? 

Post#2 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:56 am

Right now, with the abundance of wings and guards that the Mavs have, I think Roby is the best fit, since he can play at the 4, something the Mavs kinda need since their only true 4s and 5s are KP, Powell, Kleber, and Boban. Sure, DFS can get by at the 4 in smaller lineups, but Roby brings above-the-rim play on both ends of the court and has decent handles. Reaves would have to fight guys like Luka, THJ, Curry, Lee, Broekhoff, DFS, and Justin Jackson for playing time. If I you don't envision him swinging like that, then he still has to compete with Luka, THJ, Curry, and Broekhoff for time at the 2. Realistically speaking, with Luka being the primary catalyst on offense, Reaves wouldn't be competing with him, but instead Delon, Brunson, and Barea instead. I know those guys are the 1s/PGs, but I think that Reaves' defensive abilities would allow him to get time defending opposing PGs, with Luka playing 2s or 3s, and then another wing coming in and helping Luka. So a complete list would be Curry, THJ, DFS, Justin Jackson, Delon, Brunson, Barea, Lee, and Broekhoff.

Right now I like Reaves more than Broekhoff for sure, and I don't think Lee figures into the Mavs' long-term plans.

Basically, Roby's ability to play the 4 makes him the better fit right now, but once some moves are made, and after Reaves gets some experience in the G-League, I think he'd be a really nice guy to have off the bench.
Teffer10
Lead Assistant
And1: 375

Post#3 » by Teffer10 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:55 am

I don’t see Robby and Reaves playing anywhere other than G League this season.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 195

Post#4 » by bobsquad » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:07 am

Curious what's going on with Roby. Two-way spots are filled by 2 guys who made a better case they belonged on that last open roster spot.

My guess is we have an agreement with the agent to leave it open until the season to see what opportunities open up, and if we don't make a move from outside the organization then it's Roby's. If we add a vet, Roby gets stashed overseas or in the G-League.
HairyGOATee
Senior

Post#5 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 4, 2019 5:28 am

bobsquad wrote:Curious what's going on with Roby. Two-way spots are filled by 2 guys who made a better case they belonged on that last open roster spot.

My guess is we have an agreement with the agent to leave it open until the season to see what opportunities open up, and if we don't make a move from outside the organization then it's Roby's. If we add a vet, Roby gets stashed overseas or in the G-League.

How does stashing in the G-League work? Can another team sign him if he plays there, or would the Mavs have to renounce his rights first? I'm guessing the latter, but man, if Roby's got an agreement, then he must be a very patient man. If I were him, I'd like to get something locked up ASAP.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 195

Post#6 » by bobsquad » Sun Aug 4, 2019 7:06 am

HairyGOATee wrote:
bobsquad wrote:Curious what's going on with Roby. Two-way spots are filled by 2 guys who made a better case they belonged on that last open roster spot.

How does stashing in the G-League work? Can another team sign him if he plays there, or would the Mavs have to renounce his rights first? I'm guessing the latter, but man, if Roby's got an agreement, then he must be a very patient man. If I were him, I'd like to get something locked up ASAP.

Usually unsigned 2nd rounders play overseas where they can make a decent salary, but the Mavs own his rights so if he went unsigned only the Mavs could sign him and (I think) he could only play D-league ball in Frisco.
HairyGOATee
Senior

Post#7 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:19 pm

bobsquad wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

Usually unsigned 2nd rounders play overseas where they can make a decent salary, but the Mavs own his rights so if he went unsigned only the Mavs could sign him and (I think) he could only play D-league ball in Frisco.

Damn, that sucks for him I guess, but if I had a choice of playing overseas or in the G-League, I'd go with the G-League. Going overseas can be really tricky. You get less money right away in the G-League, but hopefully you improve your game, crack an NBA roster, and get some money that way.

But the Mavs could tell Roby that they really want him to work on his jumper or something and he can do that in Europe. I'd just rather see him do it in the states in the G-League.

Return to Dallas Mavericks