ImageImageImage

Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE?

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

HairyGOATee
Senior
Posts: 660
And1: 337
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 4, 2019 6:46 am

Do you think the Mavs can sign Goran Dragic next summer for the full MLE (non taxpayer's)? Would that be enough to get Dragic?
jpengland
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,182
And1: 4,332
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
   

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#2 » by jpengland » Sun Aug 4, 2019 7:32 am

That's likely enough to get him.

But he's a poor fit with Dragic defensively, so I'm not touching him.
dirkforpres
General Manager
Posts: 7,657
And1: 2,492
Joined: Sep 13, 2005
   

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#3 » by dirkforpres » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:30 pm

I could see it. Would he be ok backing up Delon Wright though?
arkuo
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,967
And1: 482
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#4 » by arkuo » Sun Aug 4, 2019 5:12 pm

jpengland wrote:That's likely enough to get him.

But he's a poor fit with Dragic defensively, so I'm not touching him.



I think its only us fans who care about defense.

Remember, this is a franchise who was ready to hand Kemba Walker a $120M check and invest the next 4 years with a Luka and Kemba backcourt with zero defense. Lucky for us Kemba turned to Boston.
jpengland
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,182
And1: 4,332
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
   

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#5 » by jpengland » Sun Aug 4, 2019 8:11 pm

arkuo wrote:
jpengland wrote:That's likely enough to get him.

But he's a poor fit with Dragic defensively, so I'm not touching him.



I think its only us fans who care about defense.

Remember, this is a franchise who was ready to hand Kemba Walker a $120M check and invest the next 4 years with a Luka and Kemba backcourt with zero defense. Lucky for us Kemba turned to Boston.


The difference in offensive impact between Kemba and Dragic is light years.

You take the defensive hit for a star. With Dragic you aren't getting the offense to compensate.
Archx
Starter
Posts: 2,395
And1: 1,583
Joined: Feb 09, 2018
   

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#6 » by Archx » Sun Aug 4, 2019 9:40 pm

jpengland wrote:
arkuo wrote:
jpengland wrote:That's likely enough to get him.

But he's a poor fit with Dragic defensively, so I'm not touching him.



I think its only us fans who care about defense.

Remember, this is a franchise who was ready to hand Kemba Walker a $120M check and invest the next 4 years with a Luka and Kemba backcourt with zero defense. Lucky for us Kemba turned to Boston.


The difference in offensive impact between Kemba and Dragic is light years.

You take the defensive hit for a star. With Dragic you aren't getting the offense to compensate.


You really think Dragic will be a starter next season? He will have Barea's role if anything, IF Mavs sign him obviously... No need to overthink this.
HairyGOATee
Senior
Posts: 660
And1: 337
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#7 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:22 pm

Yeah, I'd like Dragic off the bench, but he could start too I guess. It would just depend on the matchups, and how well Delon plays this year.
bobsquad
Rookie
Posts: 1,152
And1: 195
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
     

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#8 » by bobsquad » Mon Aug 5, 2019 1:07 am

I remember in 2015 Dragic expressing preference to be traded to a coastal team (he maybe had some sort of veto rights?). My guess is he signs with one of the LA teams or takes bigger money from a PG-desperate team with space or S&T pieces (Minnesota, New York, Chicago, Detroit).
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,181
And1: 457
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#9 » by Darren » Mon Aug 5, 2019 11:09 am

I'd rather trade junk on short-term contract plus Wright for Wall if John could still run and defend at elite level.
User avatar
dirkules_41
Veteran
Posts: 2,703
And1: 327
Joined: Mar 06, 2007
       

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#10 » by dirkules_41 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 7:03 pm

I'd rather we spend the full MLE on someone who can actually help this team :lol:
gh123
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,596
And1: 1,065
Joined: Feb 17, 2016
   

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#11 » by gh123 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:55 am

Why would you want an old Dragic? Brunson should improve and I'm still in favor of playing Luka at PG.
"Luka won't translate to the NBA"
"Trae was the right pick"
HairyGOATee
Senior
Posts: 660
And1: 337
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#12 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:10 am

gh123 wrote:Why would you want an old Dragic? Brunson should improve and I'm still in favor of playing Luka at PG.


Do you want Luka at PG on defense too though?
HairyGOATee
Senior
Posts: 660
And1: 337
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#13 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:11 am

dirkules_41 wrote:I'd rather we spend the full MLE on someone who can actually help this team :lol:


Who do you think that person is?
gh123
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,596
And1: 1,065
Joined: Feb 17, 2016
   

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#14 » by gh123 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 11:42 am

HairyGOATee wrote:
gh123 wrote:Why would you want an old Dragic? Brunson should improve and I'm still in favor of playing Luka at PG.


Do you want Luka at PG on defense too though?


No, I want Luka on wings, unless we go against Clippers or something, then I want him on Bev. Make THJ or whoever our starting SG defend PGs. Realistically no one is stopping Lillards and Currys of the world, so it doesn't really matter, defending PGs is very overrated.
"Luka won't translate to the NBA"
"Trae was the right pick"
HairyGOATee
Senior
Posts: 660
And1: 337
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#15 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:07 pm

gh123 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
gh123 wrote:Why would you want an old Dragic? Brunson should improve and I'm still in favor of playing Luka at PG.


Do you want Luka at PG on defense too though?


No, I want Luka on wings, unless we go against Clippers or something, then I want him on Bev. Make THJ or whoever our starting SG defend PGs. Realistically no one is stopping Lillards and Currys of the world, so it doesn't really matter, defending PGs is very overrated.


Individual defense is overrated tbh.
User avatar
dirkules_41
Veteran
Posts: 2,703
And1: 327
Joined: Mar 06, 2007
       

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#16 » by dirkules_41 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:07 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:I'd rather we spend the full MLE on someone who can actually help this team :lol:


Who do you think that person is?

Anyone who is not old, declining, a poor defender and has a skillset we already have on the roster.
Defensive Center, 3&D wing, defensive PG, you name it. Too soon to tell who can be available next summer for that price tag.
HairyGOATee
Senior
Posts: 660
And1: 337
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#17 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:47 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:I'd rather we spend the full MLE on someone who can actually help this team :lol:


Who do you think that person is?

Anyone who is not old, declining, a poor defender and has a skillset we already have on the roster.
Defensive Center, 3&D wing, defensive PG, you name it. Too soon to tell who can be available next summer for that price tag.


https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2020/

Joe Harris would be dope. Same with Bertans.
User avatar
dirkules_41
Veteran
Posts: 2,703
And1: 327
Joined: Mar 06, 2007
       

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#18 » by dirkules_41 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 8:47 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
Who do you think that person is?

Anyone who is not old, declining, a poor defender and has a skillset we already have on the roster.
Defensive Center, 3&D wing, defensive PG, you name it. Too soon to tell who can be available next summer for that price tag.


https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2020/

Joe Harris would be dope. Same with Bertans.

Now we're talking, actual assets rather than a Slovenian novelty item.

I think it's just way too early to tell who will fall in what cost bracket. One good or bad season could change a lot on that.
BigRedDog
Sophomore
Posts: 138
And1: 80
Joined: Jul 21, 2019
 

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#19 » by BigRedDog » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:38 am

Dragic looked totally washed up last season. He can't do much of anything. He was never a passable defender but now he kinda sucks offensively too. Little to no value on anything beyond the vet minimum orso.
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,181
And1: 457
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: Goran Dragic Next Summer For Full MLE? 

Post#20 » by Darren » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:42 am

As the Mavs is projected at 10-11 in Western Conference, it's likely that the Mavs end up with a starter playmaker in first round.

Return to Dallas Mavericks