ImageImageImage

Should Carlisle Tweak The Offense/System To Allow For A Bruiser/Banger Type?

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

HairyGOATee
Senior
And1: 337

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Aug 6, 2019 9:59 am

The reason I ask is because, even though 3 point shooting and rim rolling are important, the latter becomes tough to rely on in the playoffs (see Rudy Gobert and Capela), and you can live and die by the 3 ball. If we look at Brook Lopez, Embiid, and Marc Gasol, they all could bang/bruise inside, but they've also developed a 3 point shot. However, Brook and Embiid were arguably at their best when they were bruising inside, while I think Gasol had to float out to the perimeter because the floor spacing would have been off if he were inside due to Siakam's slashing ability. Even so, I think Gasol would have been more of a factor is he were allowed to bruise/bang inside.

I understand that the Mavs don't really have the bruiser/banger type, but they could have acquired one this offseason had it been a part of the system. Someone like Jonas or Julius Randle would have been dope.

What do you all think?
HairyGOATee
Senior

Re: Should Carlisle Tweak The Offense/System To Allow For A Bruiser/Banger Type? 

Post#2 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:10 pm

I guess Boogie was a banger too, but I didn't really want any part of him tbh.
dirkforpres
General Manager
And1: 2,482

Re: Should Carlisle Tweak The Offense/System To Allow For A Bruiser/Banger Type? 

Post#3 » by dirkforpres » Wed Aug 7, 2019 6:41 pm

We had Deandre and it didn’t work. The game has past those types of guys up. It’s a cyclical league though so it’ll come full circle and C’s will make a comeback... but for now you can’t win without perimeter offense
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 195

Post#4 » by bobsquad » Wed Aug 7, 2019 8:12 pm

There's no reason imo Carlisle should tweak the way he uses his big men. Look at the PERs of Chandler, Zaza, Brandan Wright... they were all outliers (in the good way) playing for RC. Powell's is really high as well. Going back to Jermaine O'Neal in Indiana too.

By contrast, the efficiencies of "traditional" bigs Haywood, Bogut, and DeAndre all kind of bottomed out in Dallas. We're sacrificing some rebounding for a top-line pick-and-roll offense. That's what RC has had immense success with across 3 teams and 3 decades.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 457

Post#5 » by Darren » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:53 am

Already. Boban will share the court with Zinger at some point. Let see if it's favorable mismatch.
HairyGOATee
Senior

Post#6 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:09 am

bobsquad wrote:There's no reason imo Carlisle should tweak the way he uses his big men. Look at the PERs of Chandler, Zaza, Brandan Wright... they were all outliers (in the good way) playing for RC. Powell's is really high as well. Going back to Jermaine O'Neal in Indiana too.

By contrast, the efficiencies of "traditional" bigs Haywood, Bogut, and DeAndre all kind of bottomed out in Dallas. We're sacrificing some rebounding for a top-line pick-and-roll offense. That's what RC has had immense success with across 3 teams and 3 decades.

He's done well and won one championship that way, but honestly, I think a C with both an inside and outside game would help. Ideally Powell can develop into that as he has rim rolling down. Just gotta work on the 3 ball now.

Return to Dallas Mavericks