ImageImageImage

Who Will Emerge As The Team's #3 Scoring Option This Season?

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

SOUNDCHASER
Pro Prospect
Posts: 903
And1: 121
Joined: Feb 11, 2013

Re: Who Will Emerge As The Team's #3 Scoring Option This Season? 

Post#21 » by SOUNDCHASER » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:40 am

Strength and attitude is exactly why you play Boban next to KP to start the game and smash the other team in the mouth with dominating size insuring that the rim is completely protected so nobody has a free path to the basket.

With DeLon defending the other teams PG's and being the top defender of the perimeter and with Luka and Seth tearing it up on the offensive end of the floor we could start every game by getting up 20 points on the other team by the end of the 1st quarter.

The fire power this team has now is unstoppable our only weakness is on the perimeter defense we put out there and with better 3 point shooting we could simply out shoot the other team with Seth KP and Luka dropping in 3's far more consistently.

ho do you guard with those 3 scoring at will. They can dump it inside to Boban or a streaking Powell for the easy lob and nobody is looking for it with the defense stretched to cover Seth and KP on the 3 point line. DeLon has the athletic ability to punish teams with drives to the basket and he may get back to 36% from 3 this season.

The PNR game the inside out game whatever you want to throw at the other team its going to work most of the time and that will allow us to relax a little and coast during parts of the game when the 2nd team is in there.

If the starters are who I already mentioned above then we have the deepest bench in the league so we probably will extend the lead when the bench is in the game.

Brunson Barea
THJ Ryan Lee
Jackson DFS
Powell
Kleber

If either rookie develops into something then we are going to be able to trade someone and make moves to get a 3rd stud. All we have to do is wait and that piece is going to come our way and then we are the contender that will be around for many many years just like GSW was.
Fuerza1
Ballboy
Posts: 1
And1: 1
Joined: Sep 02, 2019
         

Re: Who Will Emerge As The Team's #3 Scoring Option This Season? 

Post#22 » by Fuerza1 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:38 pm

If we want a successful season (at least .500), I think we need Brunson or Jackson to be the 3rd scoring option; they offer the most upside given their youth. Brunson has a better chance but it may not come this year.

My guess is that it will be more of a 3rd scorer by committee. Possibly multiple guys in that 12-14 ppg range neck-and-neck with one another. I'd rank it Brunson; THJ; Seth; Powell; Jackson.
Teffer10
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,658
And1: 377
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: Who Will Emerge As The Team's #3 Scoring Option This Season? 

Post#25 » by Teffer10 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:06 pm

SOUNDCHASER wrote:Strength and attitude is exactly why you play Boban next to KP to start the game and smash the other team in the mouth with dominating size insuring that the rim is completely protected so nobody has a free path to the basket.

With DeLon defending the other teams PG's and being the top defender of the perimeter and with Luka and Seth tearing it up on the offensive end of the floor we could start every game by getting up 20 points on the other team by the end of the 1st quarter.

The fire power this team has now is unstoppable our only weakness is on the perimeter defense we put out there and with better 3 point shooting we could simply out shoot the other team with Seth KP and Luka dropping in 3's far more consistently.

ho do you guard with those 3 scoring at will. They can dump it inside to Boban or a streaking Powell for the easy lob and nobody is looking for it with the defense stretched to cover Seth and KP on the 3 point line. DeLon has the athletic ability to punish teams with drives to the basket and he may get back to 36% from 3 this season.

The PNR game the inside out game whatever you want to throw at the other team its going to work most of the time and that will allow us to relax a little and coast during parts of the game when the 2nd team is in there.

If the starters are who I already mentioned above then we have the deepest bench in the league so we probably will extend the lead when the bench is in the game.

Brunson Barea
THJ Ryan Lee
Jackson DFS
Powell
Kleber

If either rookie develops into something then we are going to be able to trade someone and make moves to get a 3rd stud. All we have to do is wait and that piece is going to come our way and then we are the contender that will be around for many many years just like GSW was.

I don't see Boban starting but I wouldn't mind seeing RC going with more of a "jumbo" lineup at times (Luka/Wright/Maxi/KP/Boban) to attempt to disrupt opposing chemistry.

I do agree the strength of this team could be it's bench this season, but as we saw in Toronto 2 years ago, benches don't win championships. When they upgraded their SL (Kawhi and Gasol) they won it all.
We do need someone to step up to either be that guy or become valuable enough to be part of a big deal.
I'm still hoping for Reaves because I still think he has the most upside of anyone on our team.
Teffer10
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,658
And1: 377
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: Who Will Emerge As The Team's #3 Scoring Option This Season? 

Post#26 » by Teffer10 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Fuerza1 wrote:If we want a successful season (at least .500), I think we need Brunson or Jackson to be the 3rd scoring option; they offer the most upside given their youth. Brunson has a better chance but it may not come this year.

My guess is that it will be more of a 3rd scorer by committee. Possibly multiple guys in that 12-14 ppg range neck-and-neck with one another. I'd rank it Brunson; THJ; Seth; Powell; Jackson.

Pretty much the way I see it too.
I do think Brunson and Jackson need to step up to make us legit PO contenders but I honestly think both, along with DFS, Maxi, and Powell, are playing at or near their ceilings. Reaves, Roby and Wright are all big question marks and the ones with the most upside imo.
I also agree that it will most likely be by committee because this team is basically KP/Luka and a bunch of decent role players and I could see any of those role players being the 3rd top scorer on any given night.
However, my guess is that Seth will have the most games as a top 3 scorer outside of KP and Luka.
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,206
And1: 460
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: Who Will Emerge As The Team's #3 Scoring Option This Season? 

Post#27 » by Darren » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:33 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
SOUNDCHASER wrote:Strength and attitude is exactly why you play Boban next to KP to start the game and smash the other team in the mouth with dominating size insuring that the rim is completely protected so nobody has a free path to the basket.

With DeLon defending the other teams PG's and being the top defender of the perimeter and with Luka and Seth tearing it up on the offensive end of the floor we could start every game by getting up 20 points on the other team by the end of the 1st quarter.

The fire power this team has now is unstoppable our only weakness is on the perimeter defense we put out there and with better 3 point shooting we could simply out shoot the other team with Seth KP and Luka dropping in 3's far more consistently.

ho do you guard with those 3 scoring at will. They can dump it inside to Boban or a streaking Powell for the easy lob and nobody is looking for it with the defense stretched to cover Seth and KP on the 3 point line. DeLon has the athletic ability to punish teams with drives to the basket and he may get back to 36% from 3 this season.

The PNR game the inside out game whatever you want to throw at the other team its going to work most of the time and that will allow us to relax a little and coast during parts of the game when the 2nd team is in there.

If the starters are who I already mentioned above then we have the deepest bench in the league so we probably will extend the lead when the bench is in the game.

Brunson Barea
THJ Ryan Lee
Jackson DFS
Powell
Kleber

If either rookie develops into something then we are going to be able to trade someone and make moves to get a 3rd stud. All we have to do is wait and that piece is going to come our way and then we are the contender that will be around for many many years just like GSW was.

I don't see Boban starting but I wouldn't mind seeing RC going with more of a "jumbo" lineup at times (Luka/Wright/Maxi/KP/Boban) to attempt to disrupt opposing chemistry.

I do agree the strength of this team could be it's bench this season, but as we saw in Toronto 2 years ago, benches don't win championships. When they upgraded their SL (Kawhi and Gasol) they won it all.
We do need someone to step up to either be that guy or become valuable enough to be part of a big deal.
I'm still hoping for Reaves because I still think he has the most upside of anyone on our team.


If Zinger could not play uptempo game at all, I am all for putting Boban and Curry in the starting lineup. Just coming up with the best spacing on the floor with the starting unit. Using 3 ball-handlers to control the pace. With a second unit with Powell, Maxi, Barea, DFS, Brunson. That is simply a running unit.

By the way, I don't like what I see from Hardaway who rarely stops Curry on perimeter nor stops Delon driving to the paint. Out of shape? Disinterest? To make it worst, Hardaway doesn't score much against the duo in 2-on-2 in the video. From the Delon-Curry one-on-one session, I think Curry is good enough as a starter barring on what the coach wants to achieve. Surely, Curry is more dependable than Hardaway as a scoring punch as well.
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,206
And1: 460
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: Who Will Emerge As The Team's #3 Scoring Option This Season? 

Post#28 » by Darren » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:43 pm



Hardaway does make uncontested long shots from both side a lot better. More likely than not, the coach puts Hardaway into Wes Matthews shoes - no more playmaking, just make open shots please.
Teffer10
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,658
And1: 377
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: Who Will Emerge As The Team's #3 Scoring Option This Season? 

Post#29 » by Teffer10 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:10 am

Darren wrote:

Hardaway does make uncontested long shots from both side a lot better. More likely than not, the coach puts Hardaway into Wes Matthews shoes - no more playmaking, just make open shots please.

I'm beginning to think Hardaway will be our 5th starter on opening night and the job will be his to lose as the season progresses.

A lot of people are high on Jackson but I just don't see a lot of talent there. He will probably hang around the league for several years but I see him as more of a Najera type player with that type of career.

Hardaway has the skills to be our 3rd best player (similar to Fin) if he plays with the right attitude and stays within the boundaries of his role.

Luka/Brunson/Barea
Wright/Seth/Lee
THJ/Jackson/Broekoff
KP/Maxi/DFS
Powell/Boban/Holman?
Deus
Veteran
Posts: 2,732
And1: 144
Joined: Jul 22, 2004
       

Re: Who Will Emerge As The Team's #3 Scoring Option This Season? 

Post#30 » by Deus » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Hardaway or Jackson

I like Hardaway as a 6th man off the bench with Justin Jackson starting.
Teffer10
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,658
And1: 377
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: Who Will Emerge As The Team's #3 Scoring Option This Season? 

Post#31 » by Teffer10 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Deus wrote:Hardaway or Jackson

I like Hardaway as a 6th man off the bench with Justin Jackson starting.

Jackson seems to have limited offensive skills compared to THJ. I see Jackson as a scrappy blue-collar workhorse player similar to Najera, Matt Barnes, Brian Cardinal, etc..., and with Wright as a better defender than offensive threat, I think Rick will want to go with an offense-oriented player to play with Luka and KP.

Again I don't think THJ will be an unconditional starter like KP and Luka. If he isn't consistent and doesn't play within the borders of his role I could see Jackson, DFS, Brunson, Seth or even Lee moving into the starting lineup.

Mavs should and probably will have THJ under a microscope to be the 3rd of a big 3. If he doesn't live up to that I think he will be shopped aggressively by mid-season.

I think Seth will be the 6th man this season
daoneandonly
General Manager
Posts: 8,181
And1: 1,256
Joined: May 27, 2004
Location: Masalaland
 

Re: Who Will Emerge As The Team's #3 Scoring Option This Season? 

Post#32 » by daoneandonly » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:41 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Deus wrote:Hardaway or Jackson

I like Hardaway as a 6th man off the bench with Justin Jackson starting.

Jackson seems to have limited offensive skills compared to THJ. I see Jackson as a scrappy blue-collar workhorse player similar to Najera, Matt Barnes, Brian Cardinal, etc..., and with Wright as a better defender than offensive threat, I think Rick will want to go with an offense-oriented player to play with Luka and KP.

Again I don't think THJ will be an unconditional starter like KP and Luka. If he isn't consistent and doesn't play within the borders of his role I could see Jackson, DFS, Brunson, Seth or even Lee moving into the starting lineup.

Mavs should and probably will have THJ under a microscope to be the 3rd of a big 3. If he doesn't live up to that I think he will be shopped aggressively by mid-season.

I think Seth will be the 6th man this season


Yeah Seth should definitely be our 6th man, its a role made for him. Which is another reason I want us to trade THJ, I dont see those 2 guys really fitting well together as neither can really defend, and I dont want THJ starting either.
Deus
Veteran
Posts: 2,732
And1: 144
Joined: Jul 22, 2004
       

Re: Who Will Emerge As The Team's #3 Scoring Option This Season? 

Post#33 » by Deus » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Deus wrote:Hardaway or Jackson

I like Hardaway as a 6th man off the bench with Justin Jackson starting.

Jackson seems to have limited offensive skills compared to THJ. I see Jackson as a scrappy blue-collar workhorse player similar to Najera, Matt Barnes, Brian Cardinal, etc..., and with Wright as a better defender than offensive threat, I think Rick will want to go with an offense-oriented player to play with Luka and KP.

Again I don't think THJ will be an unconditional starter like KP and Luka. If he isn't consistent and doesn't play within the borders of his role I could see Jackson, DFS, Brunson, Seth or even Lee moving into the starting lineup.

Mavs should and probably will have THJ under a microscope to be the 3rd of a big 3. If he doesn't live up to that I think he will be shopped aggressively by mid-season.

I think Seth will be the 6th man this season


I think you'll be surprised by what Justin Jackson brings to the team. I see him as a good up and coming player. 10-12 ppg likely. The only questions I have are his size. He's really thin at 6'8. He needs to bulk up (like Powell had to do in the last 4 years) if he's going to contribute on the defensive side of the ball. If he gets pushed around defensively Carlisle won't like it.

But your likely correct they'll have THJ start. He's getting the big money anyway.

Return to Dallas Mavericks