ImageImageImage

Are We a SOFT team?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Re: Are We a SOFT team? 

Post#21 » by BlueSan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:51 pm

You mean guys that could win a street fight and scare people with that kind of stuff? Yeah we traded DSJ haha
Deus
Veteran
And1: 149

Post#22 » by Deus » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:56 pm

BlueSan wrote:
Deus wrote:Yes I agree the Mavs are a soft team. They need a dominant rebounder/defender at the 4 or 3. KP isn't that. Luka can always step up this season and be that guy but that's a big if. He looked soft last year.

As a rookie Luka looked anything but soft. The dude is a 6,7 big boned (got it from his father) point guard. He also took tons of hits and posted smaller guys on plenty occassions and throught the season you even saw how his confidence and physical presence grew as he was doing more of the slam dunking and running to the rim.

Luka may be a lot of things but being soft aint one of them. He can't be just pushed around the field by his positions it's the opposite way around.

Maxi isnt a soft 4 also, neither is Powel, Marjanovič is definitely not a soft 5, where we actually lack is the number 2 and 3 positions

so shooting guard and small forward...those are a bit soft

Luka's body was soft last year. He has a lot of work to do in the weight room. He hit a wall last year at the 60 game mark.

https://clutchpoints.com/mavs-news-luka-doncic-looking-more-toned-in-workout-photos/
chokingmav
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#23 » by chokingmav » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:48 pm

Our front court looks pretty thin. Even if you include Luka as a small ball power forward and KP has a quality bounce back year. The combo of Powell, Kleber and Boban is not going to scare many teams. On the perimeter Delon is the only guy with the potential to be a tough guy/stopper, everyone else look Charmin soft. I guess DFS can be our bully wing, can't really expect much else from him. Hmmm.......yeah, we're probably a SOFT team.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Post#24 » by Mr B » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:11 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Deus wrote:Yes I agree the Mavs are a soft team. They need a dominant rebounder/defender at the 4 or 3. KP isn't that. Luka can always step up this season and be that guy but that's a big if. He looked soft last year.

I'm a little surprised only a few of us have this concern.

KP is vulnerable with his build and injury history so it would make sense to have some protection for him in the frontcourt. With the Mavs being so finesse structured and oriented, teams will get physical with them and the last thing we need is for KP to take most of the blows. Powell and Maxi aren't exactly tough/physical guys and neither are any of our SFs so I think this will be a problem throughout the season one way or another. I just hope that problem doesn't escalate to wear, tear and injury to one of our most valuable pieces.

I agree, we need some strength and nastiness in our frontcourt who will do the dirty work that KP shouldn't be doing.

I think for this year we are just going to have to accept that there will be times this team gets pushed around and probably killed on the boards. It’s going to take time for this team to groom or acquire that kind of talent. Realistically this team is about 3-4 years away from being built to contend for a title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Dallas Mavericks