ImageImageImage

Dončič coming into season 2019 (PREPARATION)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Dončič coming into season 2019 (PREPARATION) 

Post#1 » by BlueSan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:06 pm

I must say I am a bit disappointed. I heard rumors floating around and they look like to be something viable...

Dončič visited Slovenian volleyball team and let's just say he looked physically pretty much the same as last year...

The rumors btw, are that he is not exactly acting like a pro in terms of preparations and his life style/habits. We are talking late night parties, we are talking taking in stuff he should not have...

And btw his father was known as a generational talent as well, but at the same time he was also known as a party lover, alcohol consumer and well he was still good but not as great as he could be. I have to say I am a bit afraid for this kid
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Re: Dončič coming into season 2019 (PREPARATION) 

Post#2 » by bran muffin » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:39 pm

The most recent photos I saw of Luka was from Dirk's tennis tournament last week. He looked okay to me. He didn't look chubby like he did at training camp last year.
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by BlueSan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:48 pm

I guess that is fair enough (in terms he looked "ok") but I guess I was hoping, expecting he would really invest time and effort into it and I can't help but think the other activities and lifestyle are what are preventing him to achieve just that
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,556

Post#4 » by Bob8 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:51 am

You based your narrative on how he looked in civil clothing?

His career doesn’t depend on how athletic will he become, but how good shooter he will become. Of course he needs Nba conditioning, but even if remains only average there and becomes near elite shooter, he’s unstoppable.
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#5 » by wolfram » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:58 am

What I heard is, he really doesn't like fitness and conditioning training. He is bored. He wants to play basketball all the time.
Maybe in a couple of years he will see he needs it as much as basketball training. But for now let's say he is a bit immature about it.
Btw. this was said from someone who talked directly with him.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#6 » by XTraderXL » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:51 am

BlueSan wrote:I must say I am a bit disappointed. I heard rumors floating around and they look like to be something viable...

Dončič visited Slovenian volleyball team and let's just say he looked physically pretty much the same as last year...

The rumors btw, are that he is not exactly acting like a pro in terms of preparations and his life style/habits. We are talking late night parties, we are talking taking in stuff he should not have...

And btw his father was known as a generational talent as well, but at the same time he was also known as a party lover, alcohol consumer and well he was still good but not as great as he could be. I have to say I am a bit afraid for this kid

Everyone knows that he likes to party, that has been the case for years. Getting in shape is all about discipline and he just doesnt seem to have it at this point in his career. I have been saying this for a couple of years now but I was hoping that it will change once he gets to the NBA. He is definitely in better shape now than he was last year but he could/should look better, he had full 5 months to work on this. Its amazing what you can do with your body in 5 months and he just isnt there.

I think the reason for all this is that he has never really faced any adversity. So far everything worked out perfectly for him, Luka is so talented that he is even one of the best players in the NBA already so he is probably thinking he will be fine by only slightly improving his body. Probably he needs a subpar playoff series, which could easily happen this season if they get in PO as 5-8 seed, and that will light the fire under his ass.

I still think he will have an all-star season this year though :lol:
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,970

Post#7 » by Archx » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:04 am

This picture was taken 3 weeks ago, his arms look similar to DFS's, not as muscly but quite thin.

This pic was taken yesterday in Slovenia, his legs are freaking slim. He did quite a lot of cardio and fitness work this off season. Keep in mind, he doesn't need to be built like LBJ, yet, he just needs to be in shape and in proper condition to bulldoze his way through the season. With age comes maturity and experience, i am pretty sure he knows what he is doing.

Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#8 » by Darren » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:07 am

Luka doesn't look improved in term of speed from the 5-on-5 streetball action. Surely, that's an area fans want Luka to improve on the most. But on court, maybe speed doesn't matter a lot, hopefully. Meanwhile, Zinger does go beyond expectation. I have a feeling ZP will be even better than it is in rookie seasons. Before the summer, I won't believe DPOY is part of Zinger's goal. But now, I think it is legitimate. Hopefully, besides the muscles, the speed also over-expectation as well.
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by BlueSan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:11 am

When does Luka have to come in for the Dallas preseason "camp" anyway?
Archx
RealGM

Post#10 » by Archx » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:16 am

BlueSan wrote:When does Luka have to come in for the Dallas preseason "camp" anyway?

It opens in 10 days if i am correct.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,859

Post#11 » by dirkules_41 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:37 pm

Darren wrote:Luka doesn't look improved in term of speed from the 5-on-5 streetball action. Surely, that's an area fans want Luka to improve on the most. But on court, maybe speed doesn't matter a lot, hopefully. Meanwhile, Zinger does go beyond expectation. I have a feeling ZP will be even better than it is in rookie seasons. Before the summer, I won't believe DPOY is part of Zinger's goal. But now, I think it is legitimate. Hopefully, besides the muscles, the speed also over-expectation as well.

You've deducted that from the 5 30s clips that were on twitter over the weeks? :lol: :lol: :banghead: :banghead:
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#12 » by Darren » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:45 am

dirkules_41 wrote:
Darren wrote:Luka doesn't look improved in term of speed from the 5-on-5 streetball action. Surely, that's an area fans want Luka to improve on the most. But on court, maybe speed doesn't matter a lot, hopefully. Meanwhile, Zinger does go beyond expectation. I have a feeling ZP will be even better than it is in rookie seasons. Before the summer, I won't believe DPOY is part of Zinger's goal. But now, I think it is legitimate. Hopefully, besides the muscles, the speed also over-expectation as well.

You've deducted that from the 5 30s clips that were on twitter over the weeks? :lol: :lol: :banghead: :banghead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=57&v=rDdBmjOGQrI
This. Have you really watched at all!?
Archx
RealGM

Post#13 » by Archx » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:35 am

Darren wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:

They weren't even trying... casual pickup game. You really think they play at full speed in these type of games? Why risk an injury before training camp even opens. And Luka was never really slow, he plays at his own pace and it works. He just needed more strength and better conditioning to last full season and not only 60 games. Don't panic.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,859

Post#14 » by dirkules_41 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:14 pm

Archx wrote:
Darren wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:You've deducted that from the 5 30s clips that were on twitter over the weeks? :lol: :lol: :banghead: :banghead:

They weren't even trying... casual pickup game. You really think they play at full speed in these type of games? Why risk an injury before training camp even opens. And Luka was never really slow, he plays at his own pace and it works. He just needed more strength and better conditioning to last full season and not only 60 games. Don't panic.

This.

A random assortment of clips from a friendly pickup game where everyone is essentially red shirted :banghead:
personanongrata
Junior
And1: 261

Post#15 » by personanongrata » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:37 am

BlueSan wrote:I must say I am a bit disappointed. I heard rumors floating around and they look like to be something viable...

Let him party. Go have fun, sow your wild oats. He loves to ball, he'll be fine.

Return to Dallas Mavericks