Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Final PS: Oct. 17 vs. Clippers, in Canada] 

Post#181 » by Bob8 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:14 pm

Archx wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
jpengland wrote:
You really don't think Doncic is a shooter?!?!? Wow.

It's possible to be a shooter and a scorer. That's a positive if your shooters can also score in other ways too. Same goes with Porzingis who has several years of work showing him as a good shooter from deep.

As for Lee, looks like he's played his way into rotation. He's a Carlisle kinda guy if he can stay healthy.

DFS advanced stats look like he may be a minus but again, anybody who has watched him can see he is a positive defender willing to take on any assignment

As a guy who has started threads calling for the head of Carlisle and never has anything positive to say, there is only one of us spewing bull.

Luka shot 33% from the last year and was worst in Europe, kp doesn't even have several seasons to look at, he's shot it good from three 1 year in for half the season. You're not even worth arguing with as nobody with a functioning basketball brain would. Call either guy shooters.

You can't even realistically measure Doncic's 3pt % because of all his full court and last second/bail out shots. Well, some people did it when he was still in EU and his real % was at around 36%-38% or even better.

Luka is a scorer/shooter. Same goes for KP... he is a shooter/scorer, that was evident from pre-season alone. You can't say Steph is only a shooter when he is also a scorer or Reggie Miller was primary a shooter but also a scorer because that was his team role. So technically, jpengland is right.

I also understand your point of view, but it's way too narrow for you to even remotely understand what jpengland is trying to tell you.

Mavs have a lot of shooters, that is a FACT but they also have a lot of players who have way too many on and off nights. That's their biggest issue, CONSISTENCY.

DFS is a very solid defender and high energy guy who was, for some weird reason, tasked to guard centers in the preseason. Hopefully RC understands that it just won't work on a long run. I think that he is far from being a scrub.

Last years team was amazing at home but horrible on the road, if this years team can replicate last seasons home success and raise away from home win %, they can get into the playoffs, but like i said, consistency will be the key to achieving that.

Some people. :lol:

35.3% http://overbasket.com/rsplayers.php?tab=9&year=2017&pcode=005929&cmp=EL
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,951

Post#182 » by Archx » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:24 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
You can't even realistically measure Doncic's 3pt % because of all his full court and last second/bail out shots. Well, some people did it when he was still in EU and his real % was at around 36%-38% or even better.

Luka is a scorer/shooter. Same goes for KP... he is a shooter/scorer, that was evident from pre-season alone. You can't say Steph is only a shooter when he is also a scorer or Reggie Miller was primary a shooter but also a scorer because that was his team role. So technically, jpengland is right.

I also understand your point of view, but it's way too narrow for you to even remotely understand what jpengland is trying to tell you.

Mavs have a lot of shooters, that is a FACT but they also have a lot of players who have way too many on and off nights. That's their biggest issue, CONSISTENCY.

DFS is a very solid defender and high energy guy who was, for some weird reason, tasked to guard centers in the preseason. Hopefully RC understands that it just won't work on a long run. I think that he is far from being a scrub.

Last years team was amazing at home but horrible on the road, if this years team can replicate last seasons home success and raise away from home win %, they can get into the playoffs, but like i said, consistency will be the key to achieving that.

I can't remember who was it from i just know i have read it on twitter at that time from someone who calculated all his long shots etc... I know the % was somewhere around that number, maybe it dipped a bit toward the end of the season. My point is, he is not a 33% or a bad 3pt shooter all in all.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#183 » by Bob8 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:30 pm

Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:

I can't remember who was it from i just know i have read it on twitter at that time from someone who calculated all his long shots etc... I know the % was somewhere around that number, maybe it dipped a bit toward the end of the season. My point is, he is not a 33% or a bad 3pt shooter all in all.

You have read it from me, and was it was 35.3%. Which is totally respectful knowing how old he was, how he was defended and how difficult shots he was taking. Luka is creating for himself and others, so he will never have % that spot-up shooters have. 38% would be great for him.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#184 » by Pinkyring » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:21 am

Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:

35% still isnt good, thats what maxi shot and he isnt a shooter, shooters are guys that are going to be in that 38% range every season, if you dont hover around that you're not a shooter. We have plenty guys that can get hot every night but seth is the only shooter on this team. As for the shooter/scorer arguement, alot of guys can and are both but we dont have those guys and thats a main reason why we'll be bad. I hope luka proves me wrong but his track record shows otherwise, if he gets to a consistent 36% wonderful, but thats not shooter territory thats league average
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#185 » by Pinkyring » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:24 am

Archx wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
jpengland wrote:
You really don't think Doncic is a shooter?!?!? Wow.

It's possible to be a shooter and a scorer. That's a positive if your shooters can also score in other ways too. Same goes with Porzingis who has several years of work showing him as a good shooter from deep.

As for Lee, looks like he's played his way into rotation. He's a Carlisle kinda guy if he can stay healthy.

DFS advanced stats look like he may be a minus but again, anybody who has watched him can see he is a positive defender willing to take on any assignment

As a guy who has started threads calling for the head of Carlisle and never has anything positive to say, there is only one of us spewing bull.

Luka shot 33% from the last year and was worst in Europe, kp doesn't even have several seasons to look at, he's shot it good from three 1 year in for half the season. You're not even worth arguing with as nobody with a functioning basketball brain would. Call either guy shooters.

How tf has preseason told you kp is a shooter? His shooting has been atrocious, inside and outside, efficiency has been his downfall and he's done nothing in pre season to change that narrative.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#186 » by Bob8 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:28 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Archx wrote:

35% still isnt good, thats what maxi shot and he isnt a shooter, shooters are guys that are going to be in that 38% range every season, if you dont hover around that you're not a shooter. We have plenty guys that can get hot every night but seth is the only shooter on this team. As for the shooter/scorer arguement, alot of guys can and are both but we dont have those guys and thats a main reason why we'll be bad. I hope luka proves me wrong but his track record shows otherwise, if he gets to a consistent 36% wonderful, but thats not shooter territory thats league average

Do you understand the difference between open spot up shooting from Kleber and pull-ups, step backs from Luka? Curry, probably the best shooter ever was shooting 41% pull ups last year. 38% would be more then enough for Luka. And don’t forget that Luka is shooting more unassisted 3s than Curry. And his % of unassisted shots will go only up this year, because last year he was playing off ball too, when DSJ was on the court.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#187 » by Pinkyring » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:14 am

Bob8 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Archx wrote:

Do you understand the difference between open spot up shooting from Kleber and pull-ups, step backs from Luka? Curry, probably the best shooter ever was shooting 41% pull ups last year. 38% would be more then enough for Luka. And don’t forget that Luka is shooting more unassisted 3s than Curry. And his % of unassisted shots will go only up this year, because last year he was playing off ball too, when DSJ was on the court.

Im not saying maxi is a better shooter im speaking solely on percentages, i know the dynamics basketball but shootere are efficient regardless the situations, luka can get hot but he's streaky, shooters aren't streaky they're consistent
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#188 » by dirkforpres » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:15 am

Not really sure what I expected from him anyway, but I’m quickly finding out how unplayable Boban is
FIRE JASON KIDD
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#189 » by ejs78 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:41 am

He's terrible.

God there was so many better options
dirkforpres wrote:Not really sure what I expected from him anyway, but I’m quickly finding out how unplayable Boban is

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Dundalis
Senior
And1: 543

Post#190 » by Dundalis » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:21 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Archx wrote:

If you assessed Kevin Durant after his rookie year, you'd say he wasn't a shooter. Because he shot 28 PERCENT from 3. If you think efficiency ratings players put up their rookie years are fully indicative of what they are as players as they approach/reach their prime, you musn't have paid much attention to player development in the NBA before.

Pinkyring wrote:
Archx wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Luka shot 33% from the last year and was worst in Europe, kp doesn't even have several seasons to look at, he's shot it good from three 1 year in for half the season. You're not even worth arguing with as nobody with a functioning basketball brain would. Call either guy shooters.

How tf has preseason told you kp is a shooter? His shooting has been atrocious, inside and outside, efficiency has been his downfall and he's done nothing in pre season to change that narrative.

So KP has a half season where he shot 39%, and another season where he shot 35% after shooting 33% his first season. Durants first 3 seasons, were 28%, 42%, 36%. Your absolute statement that neither of these guys are shooters based purely on very early career percentages is pure garbage. People with an actual mind for basketball can actually look past such basic statistics. Like I dunno, the fact that each player was effectively far and away the teams best option to where opposition teams would freely double or triple team them all game. But nah, just throw out those basic percentages and state they are factually not shooters. And call other people lacking a functionanal basketball brain lol
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#191 » by bobsquad » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:39 am

Tired of this "is KP a shooter" argument. If we've seen anything this preseason it's that he's impactful anywhere on the court. That he puts up some poor shots doesn't matter as much to the offense as how he commands the defense. He still has to be viewed as a shooting threat.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#192 » by Bob8 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:51 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:35% still isnt good, thats what maxi shot and he isnt a shooter, shooters are guys that are going to be in that 38% range every season, if you dont hover around that you're not a shooter. We have plenty guys that can get hot every night but seth is the only shooter on this team. As for the shooter/scorer arguement, alot of guys can and are both but we dont have those guys and thats a main reason why we'll be bad. I hope luka proves me wrong but his track record shows otherwise, if he gets to a consistent 36% wonderful, but thats not shooter territory thats league average

Im not saying maxi is a better shooter im speaking solely on percentages, i know the dynamics basketball but shootere are efficient regardless the situations, luka can get hot but he's streaky, shooters aren't streaky they're consistent

Consistent from when, their 5th grade?

Luka is 20, has 33% usage, creates for others and himself, shoots mostly unassisted shots and you want from him to have % like spot up shooters in the corner? Won't happen. You should belief your eyes more than only %. Luka looks pretty solid shooter to me, especially knowing his age. I believe 38-40% is very realistic in few seasons. But you can still go with his % in Europe, when he was 17 years old kid playing with professionals.

Btw. KP looks great to me, as a shooter, scorer or rim protector. It was great trade for Dallas.
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,934

Post#193 » by Oscar9992 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:55 am

Interesting note, both KP and Luka got 13 rebounds each vs Clippers today. If KP getting such amount of Rebs should be normal cause of his height, Luka's case look anomaly. I guess it's due to his positioning.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#194 » by jpengland » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:57 am

Bob8 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Consistent from when, their 5th grade?

Luka is 20, has 33% usage, creates for others and himself, shoots mostly unassisted shots and you want from him to have % like spot up shooters in the corner? Won't happen. You should belief your eyes more than only %. Luka looks pretty solid shooter to me, especially knowing his age. I believe 38-40% is very realistic in few seasons. But you can still go with his % in Europe, when he was 17 years old kid playing with professionals.

Btw. KP looks great to me, as a shooter, scorer or rim protector. It was great trade for Dallas.

Forget it, not worth arguing with Pinkyring.

Clearly KP and Doncic are basically Rajon Rondo from 3.

We will probably only win 7 games this year with such minimal talent like Luka and KP.
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#195 » by wolfram » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:57 am

Oscar9992 wrote:Interesting note, both KP and Luka got 13 rebounds each vs Clippers today. If KP getting such amount of Rebs should be normal cause of his height, Luka's case look anomaly. I guess it's due to his positioning.

Luka is assigned to wait for the rebounds as he can push the ball down right away and make decisions. But he is a good rebounder, always was.
wolfram
Junior

Post#196 » by wolfram » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:58 am

I am worried about Luka's turnovers. He had way too many again.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#197 » by Bob8 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:02 am

wolfram wrote:I am worried about Luka's turnovers. He had way too many again.

don't be. he will always be near top10 in TO, like almost all players with role like him are, but it won't matter much. He just needs to become near 40% 3 point shooter and he's basically unstoppable. Luka and Kp look like ideal duo.
wolfram
Junior

Post#198 » by wolfram » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:15 am

Bob8 wrote:

don't be. he will always be near top10 in TO, like almost all players with role like him are, but it won't matter much. He just needs to become near 40% 3 point shooter and he's basically unstoppable. Luka and Kp look like ideal duo.

I hear you, but it will throw him off his game if he allows them to pick his pocket, refs calling travels, throwing bad passes.. Sometimes I feel he is not focused enough. When he is locked in, he can be near perfect with the ball.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#199 » by jpengland » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:39 am

I'm loving how agressive Porzingis is being on the boards. If he can average 9 rpg then that will go a long way to addressing concerns with rebounding.

Hes also essentially playing as an out and out 5 which is good, as it's exactly what he needs to do and gives us a tonne more flexibility moving forward.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#200 » by Bob8 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:07 am

wolfram wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I hear you, but it will throw him off his game if he allows them to pick his pocket, refs calling travels, throwing bad passes.. Sometimes I feel he is not focused enough. When he is locked in, he can be near perfect with the ball.

He is, what he is. If anything RC is the right coach to limit a bit his turnovers, but being fearless and enjoying himself out there is a big part of what he is and why, is he so good. So turnovers won't go away, ever.

Return to Dallas Mavericks