ImageImageImage

Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Recap]

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preaseason [Oct.9 @ DET] 

Post#41 » by bobsquad » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:16 am

Pinkyring wrote:Seth should be starting not justin jackson, seth is the only real shooter on this roster

I'm hoping the preseason is a trial run, because I don't see what he brings to the starting 5 either. Anyone watching see anything jump out about him?
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Post#42 » by Captain_Obvious » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:18 am

Will take longer to fix Doncic FT shooting. By the look on his face this looks mental. Carlisle claimed he would be much improved from the line, so it will just take time to translate to game time.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#43 » by Pinkyring » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:44 am

bobsquad wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Seth should be starting not justin jackson, seth is the only real shooter on this roster

I'm hoping the preseason is a trial run, because I don't see what he brings to the starting 5 either. Anyone watching see anything jump out about him?

Only thing i can think of is they have too many freaking forwards to begin with, too bad none of them can actually shoot. How we construct a roster with 1 real shooter is beyond me
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#44 » by BlueSan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:58 am

Bad 3rd quarter

And what the hack is with coming bellow the screen defending from Brunson and bunch, in general defense looks terrible. I get a headache seeing 4 guys running under the basket for the rebound when no one from the Detroit is around only for a ball to bounce to a 3 pointer to some Detroit guy, cause Dallas has 4 dudes fighting for a rebound you dont need to fight for
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#45 » by Darren » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:59 am

I think the Mavs has to fix interior defense issues with Boban on the floor. I wonder if zone defense works.
Darren
RealGM

Post#46 » by Darren » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:09 am

How come the Mavs never consider Rose over Wright? Rose is easily more impactful to the game. And indeed, Rose comes much cheaper and experienced.
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#47 » by BlueSan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:10 am

Just love it how Rick keeps a 5 of Brunson, J, Hard., Maxi and Seth on a court for X minutes which leads to... well total destruction from the Pistons.

Switches are done easily by the Detroit with Rose constantly getting switched to Maxi and destroying him. Luke C. is left with 10000m of space to throw 3 pointers, but lets get serious this can only be considered a stupid experiment by Rick nothing more cause it is absolutely terrible Dallas is not having a chance for the playoff spot with this roster
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#48 » by BlueSan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:23 am

My name is Roby and I travell a lot
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,979

Post#49 » by Archx » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:34 am

Luka and KP won't have such low FG % over the year, i'm not worried.. If they made all the shots they are suppose to make, Mavs win easily. Keep in mind, one of them is still only 20yo and missed a lot of easy layups and 5 FT's. So, it's all about chemistry and efficiency. They will figure it out.
Darren
RealGM

Post#50 » by Darren » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:36 am

I think the Mavs should start Curry alongside AI if a trade goes down. I am not pleased with the starting lineup. I don't think switching Powell with Maxi makes a huge difference. I don't like the fit with Delon Wright in the lineup. Nor am I a fan of lacking defense for SG/SF combo. The Mavs really has to find a more mobile big for the uptempo playing style. And the Mavs does need speed in open court. I wonder if they can find a speedy PG (e.g. Theo Maledon) next offseason. Potentially, this gives the Mavs a speedy big PG which allows the Mavs to start a shooter like Curry as well.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#51 » by HMFFL » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:42 am

Good win for Detroit.
The score doesn't matter to me. Observing if we have good chemistry does and seeing how our young talent has developed.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by BlueSan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:08 am

Detroit in general has a solid bench Mavs on the other hand did not convince me in that department.

Maxi and Powell imo should be playing together, THJ together with them and the rest who knows, but this looks messy as hell

I dont like it one bit. It looks like a makeshift team, not a playoff one and once again 3 pt coverage and defense looks absolutely terrible
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#53 » by ejs78 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:24 am

Just got back from the game tonight and have a couple of observations even if its only preseason.

Wright needs the ball is his hands more and can't be stuck in the corner to shoot 3s. Not saying all the time just more.

Yes KP got bigger but I got a bad feeling about our bigs going up against Drummond. Jokic, KAT, Ayton, and others who can play down low.

The lineups are weird right now but it really feels like its Luka KP and a complete grab bag of whos gonna step up 3rd which I think is gonna drive alot of us nuts. May need more Curry.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Darren
RealGM

Post#54 » by Darren » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:43 am

Archx wrote:Luka and KP won't have such low FG % over the year, i'm not worried.. If they made all the shots they are suppose to make, Mavs win easily. Keep in mind, one of them is still only 20yo and missed a lot of easy layups and 5 FT's. So, it's all about chemistry and efficiency. They will figure it out.

To put it another way, the Mavs is do-or-die with jumpers. That's why having a player like Steve Nash who can penetrate and score in paint as well is important. The spacing isn't very good. I think coach has to sacrifice defense with shooting for the starting lineup. And the Mavs has to fix the defensive issue and explore a mobile small ball center trade.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#55 » by Pinkyring » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:59 am

This is going to be a long season, why we paid maxi is really beyond me, it was pointless and unnecessary, rebounding will be a major issue as will shooting. Kp shouldn't be taking 7 a game and luka with these dumb step backs is already driving me nuts. This is a 40 win team at best
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#56 » by ejs78 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:03 am

Pinkyring wrote:This is going to be a long season, why we paid maxi is really beyond me, it was pointless and unnecessary, rebounding will be a major issue as will shooting. Kp shouldn't be taking 7 a game and luka with these dumb step backs is already driving me nuts. This is a 40 win team at best
Im fully expecting the same. Seeing KP on Drummond made me shake my head. I was pretty against trying to trade for Adams as I think he's way overpaid and don't know if we even could but man we're gonna get eaten up on the boards.

Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#57 » by Pinkyring » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:39 am

ejs78 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:This is going to be a long season, why we paid maxi is really beyond me, it was pointless and unnecessary, rebounding will be a major issue as will shooting. Kp shouldn't be taking 7 a game and luka with these dumb step backs is already driving me nuts. This is a 40 win team at best
Im fully expecting the same. Seeing KP on Drummond made me shake my head. I was pretty against trying to trade for Adams as I think he's way overpaid and don't know if we even could but man we're gonna get eaten up on the boards.

Yeah i dont think Adams is possible and we need mobility next to kp thats why i like Tristan Thompson he's mobile and can guard the perimeter and he's great on the glass
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#58 » by ejs78 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:02 am

Im actually fine with him after what I saw tonight. Again I know it's preseason but I just don't think we can handle true bigs or rebound.
Pinkyring wrote:
ejs78 wrote:

Yeah i dont think Adams is possible and we need mobility next to kp thats why i like Tristan Thompson he's mobile and can guard the perimeter and he's great on the glass

ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#59 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:37 am

ejs78 wrote:

I said many times on this board as Mavs should get T.Young.
He'd be great fit for athletic big who can rebound/defend and run the floor with occasional 3pt shot.
And for bench I don't like Boban choice much. With KP on the roster Mavs needed reliable center. Robin Lopez would fit that role greatly. He has a low post game and he can defend the post. He provides some rim protection and increases team rebounds with boxing out. Those two guys would be plus defenders as starting PF and backup C.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#60 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:41 am

Pinkyring wrote:
ejs78 wrote:

For S.Adams, I think biggest concern is defense. He's great in interior defense however, he looked so slow last 2 years. He didn't offer much rim protection as he's not that tall+wingspan or athletic. Defensively he doesn't have good BBIQ, reading like M.Gasol does. Neither having A.Horford like lateral quickness.
10 years ago you didn't need any of these to be great C but now its different.

Ideally a modern center would be able to switch on guards but if you cannot do that you must bring some significant skills to table.
Either being a rim protection threat like Gobert, defensive positioning guru like M.Gasol. Or you'd have Jokic-KP like offensive skills.

When you consider the young centers, you can see Adams might not even be in top 15 center in the league. And you wouldnt want to pay max contract for that.

T.Thompson would not be my ideal candidate either. I dont remember any good season of him other than Cavs won the title. Its still a better fit with more potential though. He might click with KP-Doncic.
Generally, you never know whats going to be available. This team, core is still so young. Getting Adams would be win-now move.
Let KP-Doncic figure out to showcase their skills. Then maybe they can attract an FA or a player who demands a trade.

Return to Dallas Mavericks