ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Discussion

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

JJP
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 12
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#181 » by JJP » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:14 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:I’ve seen a number of mocks starting to show Patrick Williams falling to mid 1st. While I haven’t seen much of him, I’d be intrigued by his upside. If he’s there, we’d have to take a chance.



I really like Williams, but the more I read about him, the more he seems like another DFS - only with more upper body strength. He played a lot inside rather than on the perimeter in college and he's appears to be more locked into the PF position. In other words, he might struggle a little guarding and playing against opposing wings. He's a relatively average shooter from the perimeter (32% 3-point shooter). He's really a great athlete with no special skill set on either side of the ball. His draft selection in the mid-1st round is largely predicated on potential.

Given that, I can't really tell how he would fit with the Mavericks. He would be high on my list if he was still there when the Mavs picked, but there are several players I might take over him if they were available. Banes, Lewis, and Poku might have more to offer this Mavericks team. It's a tough call and totally dependent on who else is there.

I am completely blah on RJ Hampton. Nothing about him makes me think he has more to offer than at least 6-8 other players that will likely be there. He likely would have been a top-5 lottery pick had he gone to college, but instead played overseas where he got pushed around a little (he was only 18 at the time). Now he's a late 1st rounder. Great athlete, not much of a perimeter shooter. May be a good playmaker eventually. Again, I'd probably take Lewis and Banes before him.
GQ03
Ballboy
Posts: 8
And1: 2
Joined: Jul 16, 2020

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#182 » by GQ03 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:25 pm

JJP wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:I’ve seen a number of mocks starting to show Patrick Williams falling to mid 1st. While I haven’t seen much of him, I’d be intrigued by his upside. If he’s there, we’d have to take a chance.



I really like Williams, but the more I read about him, the more he seems like another DFS - only with more upper body strength. He played a lot inside rather than on the perimeter in college and he's appears to be more locked into the PF position. In other words, he might struggle a little guarding and playing against opposing wings. He's a relatively average shooter from the perimeter (32% 3-point shooter). He's really a great athlete with no special skill set on either side of the ball. His draft selection in the mid-1st round is largely predicated on potential.

Given that, I can't really tell how he would fit with the Mavericks. He would be high on my list if he was still there when the Mavs picked, but there are several players I might take over him if they were available. Banes, Lewis, and Poku might have more to offer this Mavericks team. It's a tough call and totally dependent on who else is there.

I am completely blah on RJ Hampton. Nothing about him makes me think he has more to offer than at least 6-8 other players that will likely be there. He likely would have been a top-5 lottery pick had he gone to college, but instead played overseas where he got pushed around a little (he was only 18 at the time). Now he's a late 1st rounder. Great athlete, not much of a perimeter shooter. May be a good playmaker eventually. Again, I'd probably take Lewis and Banes before him.

I know a lot of people really like Lewis but I'll have to be sold on his fit here. I mean where does he play with Luka/Brunson taking almost all of the PG minutes and THJ/Curry taking all of the SG minutes and to my knowledge Lewis isn't a strong defender and is a player that needs the ball in his hands so while he might be a better player than a Jahmi'us Ramsey he may not be a better fit for what Dallas would need.

Poku is intriguing but he's also not a guy I see contributing much of anything at least until year 3 as his body develops and he adjusts to America and the NBA game. Bane is a really good shooter but for as athletic as he looks he's built more like a rugby player than a basketball player and is a bit stiff. His extremely short wingspan (6'4 w/s even though he's 6'6 in height) will also drop him significantly on many teams boards but he'd certainly be around at #31. He'd be a very bad pick at #18 especially if a guy like Williams is on the board(he's not expected to be now). So if you love Bane you could still theoretically take Williams at #18 and still grab Bane at #31.

I've watched Hampton since he was in 6th or 7th grade and I frankly don't see any reason for Dallas to take him. If Dallas is going to take a local product, Ramsey and Maxey are much better fits for what Dallas wants to do.
JJP
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 12
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#183 » by JJP » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:32 pm

GQ03 wrote:I know a lot of people really like Lewis but I'll have to be sold on his fit here. I mean where does he play with Luka/Brunson taking almost all of the PG minutes and THJ/Curry taking all of the SG minutes and to my knowledge Lewis isn't a strong defender and is a player that needs the ball in his hands so while he might be a better player than a Jahmi'us Ramsey he may not be a better fit for what Dallas would need.

Poku is intriguing but he's also not a guy I see contributing much of anything at least until year 3 as his body develops and he adjusts to America and the NBA game. Bane is a really good shooter but for as athletic as he looks he's built more like a rugby player than a basketball player and is a bit stiff. His extremely short wingspan (6'4 w/s even though he's 6'6 in height) will also drop him significantly on many teams boards but he'd certainly be around at #31. He'd be a very bad pick at #18 especially if a guy like Williams is on the board(he's not expected to be now). So if you love Bane you could still theoretically take Williams at #18 and still grab Bane at #31.

I've watched Hampton since he was in 6th or 7th grade and I frankly don't see any reason for Dallas to take him. If Dallas is going to take a local product, Ramsey and Maxey are much better fits for what Dallas wants to do.


In regards to Kira Lewis, I think drafting him signals a rotation player to take over for Luca. Perhaps he plays along side of him, but he can find minutes either way. As I read his profile, he's a good defender with lateral movement, but not very good working off screens from bigger players. He needs more strength. What he does have is speed. The profiles I've read so far say he's pretty good without the ball - but perhaps you've read something different. These profiles can be all over the place.

The only thing I'll add is that I currently don't see either Brunson or Wright as precisely the right fit next to Luca as of right now. If they take Lewis, it may be an indication that the Mavs envision another guard. But really the reason the Mavs might take him is that he may well be the best player available at that point.

You mentioned the issues with Bane, his draft stock has recently risen according to recent mock-ups. I'm not sure why, but he may not be there at 31. I'm honestly not sure where NBA teams see him, but a recent mock draft had him in the late 1st.

Agree about Poku, but I'm not so sure Williams won't need time either. He's 18 years old and without a dominant skill set.
JJP
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 12
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#184 » by JJP » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:11 pm

And for those keeping a calendar... this just in.

July 21st, 2020 at 1:47pm CST by Luke Adams

The NBA has moved up its 2020 draft lottery by five days, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic, who reports (via Twitter) that the event, previously tentatively scheduled for August 25, will now take place on Thursday, August 20.
ejs78
Pro Prospect
Posts: 756
And1: 159
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#185 » by ejs78 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:25 pm

And another RJ Hampton today

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/NBA-Mock-Draft-LeBron-James-Los-Angeles-Lakers-Golden-State-Warriors-Anthony-Edwards-James-Wiseman-bubble-Disney-149374651/
ejs78 wrote:https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/07/20/2020-nba-mock-draft-3-0-is-james-wiseman-the-no-1-overall-pick/

Another mock from yesterday

RJ Hampton to Dallas again.



Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Pointguard01
RealGM
Posts: 12,784
And1: 208
Joined: Jun 07, 2004

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#186 » by Pointguard01 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:38 pm

JJP wrote:
GQ03 wrote:I know a lot of people really like Lewis but I'll have to be sold on his fit here. I mean where does he play with Luka/Brunson taking almost all of the PG minutes and THJ/Curry taking all of the SG minutes and to my knowledge Lewis isn't a strong defender and is a player that needs the ball in his hands so while he might be a better player than a Jahmi'us Ramsey he may not be a better fit for what Dallas would need.

Poku is intriguing but he's also not a guy I see contributing much of anything at least until year 3 as his body develops and he adjusts to America and the NBA game. Bane is a really good shooter but for as athletic as he looks he's built more like a rugby player than a basketball player and is a bit stiff. His extremely short wingspan (6'4 w/s even though he's 6'6 in height) will also drop him significantly on many teams boards but he'd certainly be around at #31. He'd be a very bad pick at #18 especially if a guy like Williams is on the board(he's not expected to be now). So if you love Bane you could still theoretically take Williams at #18 and still grab Bane at #31.

I've watched Hampton since he was in 6th or 7th grade and I frankly don't see any reason for Dallas to take him. If Dallas is going to take a local product, Ramsey and Maxey are much better fits for what Dallas wants to do.


In regards to Kira Lewis, I think drafting him signals a rotation player to take over for Luca. Perhaps he plays along side of him, but he can find minutes either way. As I read his profile, he's a good defender with lateral movement, but not very good working off screens from bigger players. He needs more strength. What he does have is speed. The profiles I've read so far say he's pretty good without the ball - but perhaps you've read something different. These profiles can be all over the place.

The only thing I'll add is that I currently don't see either Brunson or Wright as precisely the right fit next to Luca as of right now. If they take Lewis, it may be an indication that the Mavs envision another guard. But really the reason the Mavs might take him is that he may well be the best player available at that point.

You mentioned the issues with Bane, his draft stock has recently risen according to recent mock-ups. I'm not sure why, but he may not be there at 31. I'm honestly not sure where NBA teams see him, but a recent mock draft had him in the late 1st.

Agree about Poku, but I'm not so sure Williams won't need time either. He's 18 years old and without a dominant skill set.


Not sure comparing Brunson or Wright with the vein of “right fit next to Luka” is the way to look at it. Neither player is expected to be playing with Luka, but backing him up. Generally, having a smaller PG on the floor with floor is unlikely. THJ and DFS have done a good enough job on guards that I see us adding another wing in the SL, vs a smaller player.

And at #18, we should be aiming at a rotation player, not necessarily a starter. If you could, in theory, replace Brunson at #18, that’s an additional asset we’d have to use via trade. The likeliness we find a high-end starter is super unlikely. A Brunson/DFS player is the goal.
B8RcDeMktfxC
Analyst
Posts: 3,339
And1: 1,650
Joined: Nov 23, 2018
Location: C'MON, COME GET THE FUKKIN BALL

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#187 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:04 pm

Ha-hah. You've all convinced me into the Mavs taking Poku at #18 if available. Which I originally thought was a non-starter and realGM fancy-play syndrome.

I just don't see any of the likely available players being significant in 3 years time - if that is the time frame to blast-off. None of them probably make a pared down 8-9 man playoff rotation and I don't see any of them really building substantive trade value, tho' that's less sure. Poku at that point will either be something in the vague area of a young KP or a bust. The former could have use either for the Mavs or as a trade piece.

If the Mavs make the finals this year, that changes all of the calculations (of course).
JJP
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 12
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#188 » by JJP » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:27 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
Not sure comparing Brunson or Wright with the vein of “right fit next to Luka” is the way to look at it. Neither player is expected to be playing with Luka, but backing him up. Generally, having a smaller PG on the floor with floor is unlikely. THJ and DFS have done a good enough job on guards that I see us adding another wing in the SL, vs a smaller player.

And at #18, we should be aiming at a rotation player, not necessarily a starter. If you could, in theory, replace Brunson at #18, that’s an additional asset we’d have to use via trade. The likeliness we find a high-end starter is super unlikely. A Brunson/DFS player is the goal.


Well maybe I didn't make myself clear, but the first thing I said was a player coming in for Luca as a rotation player or possibly playing alongside him (in certain situations). In other words, if you draft Lewis, it's to replace one of those two, Brunson or Wright. Barea will be gone, so there's no rush to trade those two. By "right fit next to Luca", I merely meant that I currently don't see Brunson or Wright as a good fit next to Luca even though they are frequently in the lineup with him.

Remember the Mavs actually were going to pay the max for a smaller PG in Kemba Walker - and he most certainly would have played next to Luca. They want some quickness at that position in order to be able to guard the opposing team's point guard - to keep Doncic from having to do that. Lewis has the speed and agility to do that if he's alongside Luca for any amount of time. I suspect he won't be starting or getting starter minutes, but he has some speed and quickness qualities the Mavericks currently don't have anywhere on the roster.

Luca has played alongside Brunson (and Barea) in the starting lineup on several occasions so it's not unusual. Carlisle appears to like a playmaking guard next to Luca. It's not typical on other teams, but Carlisle seems to like it. However, there is a primary need for more speed and athleticism in the rotation even if it's not the starting lineup.

This play-making guard thing may also be how they see Leandro Bolmaro assuming the rumor is true that the Mavs are interested.

Video of Kira Lewis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=198&v=oRz2CxNc9nA&feature=emb_logo
GQ03
Ballboy
Posts: 8
And1: 2
Joined: Jul 16, 2020

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#189 » by GQ03 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:40 am

If we end up keeping the picks, I actually like the combo of Saddiq Bey at #18 and Tyler Bey at #31. Both guys are viewed as 3&D guys and even though T. Bey is smaller he's more of a 4/3 in the mold of a poor man's Shawn Marion whereas S. Bey is more a 3/4 in the mold of Kris Middleton. Both can defend the wings that we struggle with and can also knock down 3s at a decent rate. T. Bey shot 42% from deep (on not very many attempts fyi) while S. Bey shot 45% from deep.



JJP
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 12
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#190 » by JJP » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:58 am

I wouldn't complain about either one of those guys.
ejs78
Pro Prospect
Posts: 756
And1: 159
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#191 » by ejs78 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:10 pm

I really like some of the options the Mavs are going to have with the 2 picks. Obviously the goal is both to be successful, but if they hit on 1 of 2 being productive that would be great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
ejs78
Pro Prospect
Posts: 756
And1: 159
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#192 » by ejs78 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:05 pm

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nba/nba-mock-draft-4-0

Nico Mannion....pass
ejs78 wrote:And another RJ Hampton today

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/NBA-Mock-Draft-LeBron-James-Los-Angeles-Lakers-Golden-State-Warriors-Anthony-Edwards-James-Wiseman-bubble-Disney-149374651/
ejs78 wrote:https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/07/20/2020-nba-mock-draft-3-0-is-james-wiseman-the-no-1-overall-pick/

Another mock from yesterday

RJ Hampton to Dallas again.



Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
JJP
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 12
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#193 » by JJP » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:31 pm

Nico Mannion is about the least interesting person in this 1st-round draft.

It's too bad we can't be drafting at around 13-14. Almost all the players we've talked about drafting recently in this thread are falling between 13-17 on most mock drafts.
ejs78
Pro Prospect
Posts: 756
And1: 159
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#194 » by ejs78 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:20 pm

https://ahbanalytics.wordpress.com/2020-nba-mock-draft/


Another mock:

Jalen Smith 18th
Grant Riller 31st

Riller has me interested as he seems like instant offense from what Ive been able to gather.

Bolmaro is someone I really hope falls to 31. If others are off the board like Saddiq Bey or Josh Green maybe take him at 18 and hope someone else slips.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
GQ03
Ballboy
Posts: 8
And1: 2
Joined: Jul 16, 2020

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#195 » by GQ03 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:49 pm

ejs78 wrote:https://ahbanalytics.wordpress.com/2020-nba-mock-draft/


Another mock:

Jalen Smith 18th
Grant Riller 31st

Riller has me interested as he seems like instant offense from what Ive been able to gather.

Bolmaro is someone I really hope falls to 31. If others are off the board like Saddiq Bey or Josh Green maybe take him at 18 and hope someone else slips.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

For those that want Myles Turner, getting Jalen Smith should make them happy is that's the type of player I see him becoming if it all clicks.
JJP
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 12
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#196 » by JJP » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:41 pm

GQ03 wrote:For those that want Myles Turner, getting Jalen Smith should make them happy is that's the type of player I see him becoming if it all clicks.


On the other hand, he could end up being Johnathan Motley
GQ03
Ballboy
Posts: 8
And1: 2
Joined: Jul 16, 2020

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#197 » by GQ03 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:29 pm

JJP wrote:
GQ03 wrote:For those that want Myles Turner, getting Jalen Smith should make them happy is that's the type of player I see him becoming if it all clicks.


On the other hand, he could end up being Johnathan Motley

Very true.
ejs78
Pro Prospect
Posts: 756
And1: 159
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#198 » by ejs78 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:16 pm

https://fansided.com/2020/07/23/nba-mock-draft-7-0-lamelo-ball-destined-new-york-knicks/

I don't even know who Isaiah Joe and looking at another mock he's going 57th.
Not sure about this one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
JJP
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 12
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#199 » by JJP » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:32 pm

ejs78 wrote:https://fansided.com/2020/07/23/nba-mock-draft-7-0-lamelo-ball-destined-new-york-knicks/

I don't even know who Isaiah Joe and looking at another mock he's going 57th.
Not sure about this one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app


Since I am from Arkansas, I've seen a few games with ISAIAH JOE. Good player who can score in bunches. Good motor. 6'5" guard. I doubt he rates that high, but he is good. Announcers were always ga-ga over him.

I see this draft has Desmond Bane at #15! Geez. Players are starting to move around now. Hard to know if this is new information. I rather doubt it, but things do change as you get closer.
ejs78
Pro Prospect
Posts: 756
And1: 159
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#200 » by ejs78 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:52 pm

They also have Lewis & Poku pretty high
JJP wrote:
ejs78 wrote:https://fansided.com/2020/07/23/nba-mock-draft-7-0-lamelo-ball-destined-new-york-knicks/

I don't even know who Isaiah Joe and looking at another mock he's going 57th.
Not sure about this one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app


Since I am from Arkansas, I've seen a few games with ISAIAH JOE. Good player who can score in bunches. Good motor. 6'5" guard. I doubt he rates that high, but he is good. Announcers were always ga-ga over him.

I see this draft has Desmond Bane at #15! Geez. Players are starting to move around now. Hard to know is this new information. I rather doubt it, but things do change as you get closer.


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Dallas Mavericks