ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Discussion

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

Heezzi
Senior
Posts: 680
And1: 212
Joined: Nov 19, 2008

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#201 » by Heezzi » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:31 pm

GQ03 wrote:If we end up keeping the picks, I actually like the combo of Saddiq Bey at #18 and Tyler Bey at #31. Both guys are viewed as 3&D guys and even though T. Bey is smaller he's more of a 4/3 in the mold of a poor man's Shawn Marion whereas S. Bey is more a 3/4 in the mold of Kris Middleton. Both can defend the wings that we struggle with and can also knock down 3s at a decent rate. T. Bey shot 42% from deep (on not very many attempts fyi) while S. Bey shot 45% from deep.




You've convinced me.
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,558
And1: 505
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#202 » by Darren » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:19 pm

That's exactly the kind of prospects the Mavs should target. If the Mavs is desperate for Giannis, one or two of the 8-9M per players should be moved. Wright, on an expiring contract, must be one of them. And if the Mavs want to keep DFS, the cap hold is required. So its better for them to find replacement for Wright, Hardaway and DFS from drafts.
JJP
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 12
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#203 » by JJP » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:58 pm

I would hope the Mavs aren't "desperate" for any player. My guess is they set their sights on a championship roster. Look for a strong 3 and D player, find a play-maker who can win the non-Luca minutes, maybe a versatile big man, and be careful with salary so you can be a player in the near future.

Holding your cards in the hope that Giannis comes to Dallas in another year seems like time wasted to me. I think there are a lot of ways to build a roster without banking on a single player choosing to come here over several other suitors.
User avatar
Pointguard01
RealGM
Posts: 12,784
And1: 208
Joined: Jun 07, 2004

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#204 » by Pointguard01 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:00 pm

If you moved Delon Wright and just release the hold on THJ, you can sign Giannis (not assuming things we don't know). DFS doesn't need to be moved, nor should he. He's one of the most untouchable players on this roster considering his role, his importance and his salary for the next 3-years. His value/production for his cost is unheard-of.
ejs78
Pro Prospect
Posts: 756
And1: 159
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#205 » by ejs78 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:44 pm

Ive moved off wanting 2 guys like the Beys some and now want them to take a gamble with one of the picks on Poku or Bolmaro.

If we ended up with the Bey(s) and Bane that's still really good.



Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Teffer10
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,842
And1: 438
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#206 » by Teffer10 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:50 pm

ejs78 wrote:Ive moved off wanting 2 guys like the Beys some and now want them to take a gamble with one of the picks on Poku or Bolmaro.

If we ended up with the Bey(s) and Bane that's still really good.



Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

If Poku is there the Mavs have to take him. He is far too skilled to pass on at 18 and in today's NBA I don't think his lack of strength will be a huge factor.
A rotation of KP/Maxi/Poku could become a nightmare for opposing teams and would be a Carlisle dream. Poku isn't near the defender the other two are (but much better than Powell) but he seems to have great BB instincts and skills and enough athleticism and wing span to not be a liability.

You just don't see those kind of offensive skills in someone that size and I'll say it again that his game resembles Ginobli's but in a 7ft. body.

No way does Donnie pass on him if he is there....no way!
JJP
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 12
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#207 » by JJP » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:54 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
No way does Donnie pass on him if he is there....no way!


One reason they might is health. He did have an injury before the pandemic and he's got a ton of work to do on that body.
ejs78
Pro Prospect
Posts: 756
And1: 159
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#208 » by ejs78 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:06 pm

I know it wouldnt happen but if they did grab Poku at 18 I'd love to see what kinda pick they could get for Powell if they wanted another one in this draft.
Teffer10 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:Ive moved off wanting 2 guys like the Beys some and now want them to take a gamble with one of the picks on Poku or Bolmaro.

If we ended up with the Bey(s) and Bane that's still really good.



Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

If Poku is there the Mavs have to take him. He is far too skilled to pass on at 18 and in today's NBA I don't think his lack of strength will be a huge factor.
A rotation of KP/Maxi/Poku could become a nightmare for opposing teams and would be a Carlisle dream. Poku isn't near the defender the other two are (but much better than Powell) but he seems to have great BB instincts and skills and enough athleticism and wing span to not be a liability.

You just don't see those kind of offensive skills in someone that size and I'll say it again that his game resembles Ginobli's but in a 7ft. body.

No way does Donnie pass on him if he is there....no way!


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Teffer10
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,842
And1: 438
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#209 » by Teffer10 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:09 pm

JJP wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
No way does Donnie pass on him if he is there....no way!


One reason they might is health. He did have an injury before the pandemic and he's got a ton of work to do on that body.

Agree there will need to be physical development and injury is certainly a concern but you can't pass on a player with real star potential that deep into the draft unless he is permanently damaged. Just watching him from a fundamental standpoint is very intriguing and the few flaws that he has (lack of strength and streaky shooting) can improve with maturity and being in a good system. He seems to have a high BBIQ and natural offensive skills which normally are a good sign that a player will work to improve his game.

I know Mark wants to win now, but with Luka at age 21 and KP 25, it would be great to add a very skilled 18 year old with an enormous upside to that young core. I see most of the other players mentioned here and on other boards as high floor/low ceiling draftees.
Teffer10
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,842
And1: 438
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#210 » by Teffer10 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:20 pm

ejs78 wrote:I know it wouldnt happen but if they did grab Poku at 18 I'd love to see what kinda pick they could get for Powell if they wanted another one in this draft.
Teffer10 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:Ive moved off wanting 2 guys like the Beys some and now want them to take a gamble with one of the picks on Poku or Bolmaro.

If we ended up with the Bey(s) and Bane that's still really good.



Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

If Poku is there the Mavs have to take him. He is far too skilled to pass on at 18 and in today's NBA I don't think his lack of strength will be a huge factor.
A rotation of KP/Maxi/Poku could become a nightmare for opposing teams and would be a Carlisle dream. Poku isn't near the defender the other two are (but much better than Powell) but he seems to have great BB instincts and skills and enough athleticism and wing span to not be a liability.

You just don't see those kind of offensive skills in someone that size and I'll say it again that his game resembles Ginobli's but in a 7ft. body.

No way does Donnie pass on him if he is there....no way!


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

I think we'd have to give up a pick to move Powell. He is damaged goods now on a not so team friendly contract so we'd most certainly have to give up assets to move him. That is probably why WCS is all but gone because we are stuck with Powell now even though I think he is done.
Powell's only strength was his incredible athleticism in the P&R and his enormous motor for a player that size but those two things have most likely diminished substantially after the injury. Honestly, I've never seen anyone with his size, athleticism, attitude and heart yield so little in the stats columns. I can't imagine any of that will improve going forward after that horrific injury.
ejs78
Pro Prospect
Posts: 756
And1: 159
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#211 » by ejs78 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:54 pm

Good points. Also I know they want to win now, but I think they can wait for Poku to develop some as I actually believe they'll get somone in 2021 FA or make a trade for another piece.
Teffer10 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:I know it wouldnt happen but if they did grab Poku at 18 I'd love to see what kinda pick they could get for Powell if they wanted another one in this draft.
Teffer10 wrote:If Poku is there the Mavs have to take him. He is far too skilled to pass on at 18 and in today's NBA I don't think his lack of strength will be a huge factor.
A rotation of KP/Maxi/Poku could become a nightmare for opposing teams and would be a Carlisle dream. Poku isn't near the defender the other two are (but much better than Powell) but he seems to have great BB instincts and skills and enough athleticism and wing span to not be a liability.

You just don't see those kind of offensive skills in someone that size and I'll say it again that his game resembles Ginobli's but in a 7ft. body.

No way does Donnie pass on him if he is there....no way!


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

I think we'd have to give up a pick to move Powell. He is damaged goods now on a not so team friendly contract so we'd most certainly have to give up assets to move him. That is probably why WCS is all but gone because we are stuck with Powell now even though I think he is done.
Powell's only strength was his incredible athleticism in the P&R and his enormous motor for a player that size but those two things have most likely diminished substantially after the injury. Honestly, I've never seen anyone with his size, athleticism, attitude and heart yield so little in the stats columns. I can't imagine any of that will improve going forward after that horrific injury.


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
JJP
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 12
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#212 » by JJP » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:31 am

As much as I like Poku on video, I'm pretty sure the Mavs have done due diligence in scouting him. If he's available and they don't take him, I won't be disappointed. I trust that the Mavs know his weaknesses.
Teffer10
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,842
And1: 438
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#213 » by Teffer10 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:32 pm

JJP wrote:As much as I like Poku on video, I'm pretty sure the Mavs have done due diligence in scouting him. If he's available and they don't take him, I won't be disappointed. I trust that the Mavs know his weaknesses.

Absolutely agree!

There is also the mental or BBIQ factor. Players might have all of the skill and talent but may not have what it takes between the ears to develop to their full potential....Gerald Green and JaVale McGee come to mind.

Assuming he is as physically and mentally stable as everyone else projected outside the lottery, I can't see them passing on Poku if he is still on the board when we pick.
deb
Junior
Posts: 352
And1: 339
Joined: May 27, 2014
Location: Slovenia

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#214 » by deb » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:09 pm

JJP wrote:As much as I like Poku on video, I'm pretty sure the Mavs have done due diligence in scouting him. If he's available and they don't take him, I won't be disappointed. I trust that the Mavs know his weaknesses.


The problem with evaluating euros for the draft is that they generally don't play a lot in the Euroleague. Euroleague is a man's league and players have to "pay their dues" before actually playing meaningful minutes. And it's already kinda hard to evaluate how Euroleague production translates to NBA production for players that average over 20 mins a game in the Euroleague. Scouts watch draft prospects play in u18 and other competitions against inferior talent and it makes evaluation even harder.

For example, the mocks I've seen sofar have Deni Avdija somewhere between 4-9. Luka Doncic was the 3rd pick. The difference in Euroleague production between these two players is enormous. Deni Avdija is still a couple of years away from being able to match what Luka did in Euroleague, if he will ever be able to match it...

Luka Doncic 17/18 Euroleague per game stats: 25 min 16pts, 4.8 rbd, 4.3 assists
Deni Avdija 19/20 Euroleague per game stats: 14 min 4 pts, 2,6 rbd, 0,7 assists

Bottom line, anyone who expects Luka-like production from Deni is very likely to be sorely disappointed. Avdija may turn into a decent NBA player or even a star eventually, but he's not yet close, he's not even a decent Euroleague player yet. And he's already being hyped up as the next Doncic.

As for Pokusevski, he's played 3 Euroleague games so far, less than 10 minutes altogether. He's completely unproven. He's more likely to be the next Dragan Bender than Toni Kukoc.
JJP
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 12
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#216 » by JJP » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:16 pm

Great post Deb. Thanks for the European perspective.

As for Hampton, he doesn't appear to have any elite skill... it more or less seems like everyone thinks he's a great looking athlete who should have gone to college rather than go overseas. His outside shot is weak and he got pushed around some with that body.

It just seems to me that several players are easily better prospects in the mid-1st round.
aggerrard
Senior
Posts: 662
And1: 338
Joined: Nov 30, 2019
Location: Denmark
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#217 » by aggerrard » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:37 pm

Vassell, Nesmith or Saddiq Bey - i'd trade up with a player or the 2nd round pick to get one of them.
ejs78
Pro Prospect
Posts: 756
And1: 159
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#218 » by ejs78 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:21 am

With a player sure, but wouldnt do the pick. Can get another solid piece like Brunson.
aggerrard wrote:Vassell, Nesmith or Saddiq Bey - i'd trade up with a player or the 2nd round pick to get one of them.


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Teffer10
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,842
And1: 438
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#219 » by Teffer10 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:00 pm

ejs78 wrote:With a player sure, but wouldnt do the pick. Can get another solid piece like Brunson.
aggerrard wrote:Vassell, Nesmith or Saddiq Bey - i'd trade up with a player or the 2nd round pick to get one of them.


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

If Vassell becomes available for both of our picks I'd do it in a heartbeat. Bey should be there for us but I wouldn't pick him....not enough upside imo.
Not sure about Nesmith. I was pretty high on him earlier this year but have cooled off. He is basically a Wes Matthews clone in just about all aspects of his game but I'm not sure I'd give up #31 with #18 to get him. Vassell would be a no-brainer for both picks imo.
I'd even consider both picks and Brunson for Vassell. Vassell is legit starter material and a perfect fit for what we need. He is DFS with a much higher ceiling.
aggerrard
Senior
Posts: 662
And1: 338
Joined: Nov 30, 2019
Location: Denmark
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#220 » by aggerrard » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:34 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:With a player sure, but wouldnt do the pick. Can get another solid piece like Brunson.
aggerrard wrote:Vassell, Nesmith or Saddiq Bey - i'd trade up with a player or the 2nd round pick to get one of them.


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

If Vassell becomes available for both of our picks I'd do it in a heartbeat. Bey should be there for us but I wouldn't pick him....not enough upside imo.
Not sure about Nesmith. I was pretty high on him earlier this year but have cooled off. He is basically a Wes Matthews clone in just about all aspects of his game but I'm not sure I'd give up #31 with #18 to get him. Vassell would be a no-brainer for both picks imo.
I'd even consider both picks and Brunson for Vassell. Vassell is legit starter material and a perfect fit for what we need. He is DFS with a much higher ceiling.

Fair. This is the first year i've tried to watch some college ball, so my scouting abilities are likely poor... :lol:

Just feel like those 3 are great fits to be immediate starters in the NBA, all great 3&D prospects which will fit on the team.

Return to Dallas Mavericks