ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion 

Post#261 » by Heezzi » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:09 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:
JJP wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:Vassell at 14 .... Brunson + # 31 do

That would do it for me, but I doubt you could find a dance partner for that trade.

I'm not sure, maybe Kings if they blow everything up ... I could be interested in more draft picks And a young, good, cheap guard in Brunson to pair with Fox
Brunson / Jackson / # 18 / # 31/2 Future
for Bjelica / # 12
we bring back burk
e we wrote Vassell
or since we dream ..... Okoro
Luka/Burke
Curry/Thj/(Fa Bazemore)?
Dfs/Okoro or Vassell
Bjelica/Maxi
Kp/(Fa Boucher)?

Kings are not trading Jackson back.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#262 » by ejs78 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:00 pm

http://mavsdraft.com/

I could live with Green and Tyler Bey. Helps with the D and makes the team more athletic.

This website does great work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,812

Post#263 » by dirkforpres » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:29 pm

Read on Twitter

This is good. Start making calls early and often. This draft sucks anyway
FIRE JASON KIDD
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#264 » by ejs78 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:22 pm

Interesting

dirkforpres wrote:
Read on Twitter

fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#265 » by fuller4379 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:16 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Read on Twitter

This draft is hard to judge to me because I didn't get to see if anyone was going to excel in the tournament. It is going to be rather boring since we are a middle pick in the draft. I miss the excitement of 2018 when I think we were going to be stuck with Bamba as the 5th pick in a four star draft, but traded up for Luka. Donnie Nelson and the front office have earned a free pass from me for the next couple years by being able to acquire Luka and KP. The Mavs went from possibly a slow, painful rebuild to a perennial playoff team in a period of six months.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#266 » by dirkforpres » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:30 pm

fuller4379 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Read on Twitter

This draft is hard to judge to me because I didn't get to see if anyone was going to excel in the tournament. It is going to be rather boring since we are a middle pick in the draft. I miss the excitement of 2018 when I think we were going to be stuck with Bamba as the 5th pick in a four star draft, but traded up for Luka. Donnie Nelson and the front office have earned a free pass from me for the next couple years by being able to acquire Luka and KP. The Mavs went from possibly a slow, painful rebuild to a perennial playoff team in a period of six months.

Well I’m not sure what all 18 and 31 can get us, but you’re right we just have to trust Donnie. He’s a magician with trades.

I’d love for Dallas to at least make calls on Markkanen, Wendell, and Bamba/Fournier
FIRE JASON KIDD
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#267 » by JJP » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:10 pm

This is a ridiculous tweet. Making it "available" is meaningless. A mid-round pick is almost always available for a price.

That said, this looks like a draft night where trades will be made, so the Mavs might find a partner. I wouldn't say the odds are good, but there might be more opportunities on this draft night than others.
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#268 » by ejs78 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:13 pm

JJP wrote:This is a ridiculous tweet. Making it "available" is meaningless. A mid-round pick is almost always available for a price.

That said, this looks like a draft night where trades will be made, so the Mavs might find a partner. I wouldn't say the odds are good, but there might be more opportunities on this draft night than others.
https://youtu.be/U1hESK-JTe0

Then you have Cuban saying they might buy picks

JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#269 » by JJP » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:38 pm

I think that it's likely that the Mavs would prefer some veteran presence in the lineup, so there could be something to it in that sense. Teams like Houston (no picks in this draft) and Memphis (one second-round pick) might be looking for something.
swaggerbox
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#270 » by swaggerbox » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:44 pm

the Mavs are at it again, making draft picks available like they're peanuts. Shades of the Rudy Fernandez' deal? they should be collecting assets not get rid of them.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#271 » by JJP » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:57 pm

swaggerbox wrote:the Mavs are at it again, making draft picks available like they're peanuts. Shades of the Rudy Fernandez' deal? they should be collecting assets not get rid of them.

Well it depends. You'd like to have someone who can contribute during a 4-5 year window of time, and this team is mostly young with unproven players - so the need for a veteran is understandable. Plus, we have a variety of needs.

I just don't know how easy it would be to find the right partner on draft night.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 844

Post#272 » by Teffer10 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:00 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well I’m not sure what all 18 and 31 can get us, but you’re right we just have to trust Donnie. He’s a magician with trades.

I’d love for Dallas to at least make calls on Markkanen, Wendell, and Bamba/Fournier

What about Portis?
I don't know or hear too much about him but wondering if he might be a target. Has good size, is long, decent 3pt shooter, and is young.
Perhaps Knicks don't want to move him but they do have Randal tied up for several years. Maybe we don't want him, I don't know about his defense.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#273 » by JJP » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:14 pm

Teffer10 wrote:What about Portis?
I don't know or hear too much about him but wondering if he might be a target. Has good size, is long, decent 3pt shooter, and is young.
Perhaps Knicks don't want to move him but they do have Randal tied up for several years. Maybe we don't want him, I don't know about his defense.

Portis is a whole lot of untapped potential. However, he's been given chances with three teams and almost all of them decided to pass on him. He's had fights with teammates, so he may just be a bit of a head case. I'm not sure you want to put that guy with this current Mavs roster.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 844

Post#274 » by Teffer10 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:29 pm

JJP wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:What about Portis?

Portis is a whole lot of untapped potential. However, he's been given chances with three teams and almost all of them decided to pass on him. He's had fights with teammates, so he may just be a bit of a head case. I'm not sure you want to put that guy with this current Mavs roster.

Mavs need some attitude and toughness on this team and he might bring some of that.
Rick has had some success with some players with attitude (SJax, Stevenson, Artest) but some bad experiences as well (Odom, Rondo, Noel, West) so it could be risky to add him to this roster.
I've heard Rick say that it is good to have a tough guy on the roster but not sure he'd be the right one.

So would #18/#31/Wright/Jackson for Portis/#27 be a fair deal?
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#275 » by dirkforpres » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:30 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:

What about Portis?

Doesn’t really do it for me. His ex-teammate and former fight companion Nikola Mirotic though would be nice
FIRE JASON KIDD
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#276 » by ejs78 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:10 am

We actually have the 4th oldest roster in the league;

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/11/youngest-oldest-nba-rosters-for-201920.html

Keep the picks and see what Luka can turn them into.

JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#277 » by JJP » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:42 am

ejs78 wrote:We actually have the 4th oldest roster in the league;

That's pretty odd since the only players over 30 are Barea (36), Lee (34) and Marjanovic (32).

All 15 other players are under 30.

The current starting rotation is Luca (21), KP (25) Hardaway (28) Curry (29) and Kleber (28)

When we won the championship in 2011, I think the entire starting lineup was over 30.
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#278 » by ejs78 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:40 am

My whole isssue is this team isn't very athletic which is why I want to keep the picks for guys like Green. They don't pan out move them and on cheap deals.
JJP wrote:
ejs78 wrote:We actually have the 4th oldest roster in the league;

That's pretty odd since the only players over 30 are Barea (36), Lee (34) and Marjanovic (32).

All 15 other players are under 30.

The current starting rotation is Luca (21), KP (25) Hardaway (28) Curry (29) and Kleber (28)

When we won the championship in 2011, I think the entire starting lineup was over 30.

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#279 » by arkuo » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:35 am

ejs78 wrote:
JJP wrote:This is a ridiculous tweet. Making it "available" is meaningless. A mid-round pick is almost always available for a price.

https://youtu.be/U1hESK-JTe0

Then you have Cuban saying they might buy picks

- Cuban buys mid 1st rounder
- Trades said 1st rounder + #18 for say, #10.
- Trade #10, #31, Powell, THJ, Wright, Brunson, Curry for Horford + SImmons
- Sign Duncan Robinson in 2021. Forego Giannis when you have Simmons. Similar skillset

Surely Simmons at PF cant be worse than Maxi. League leader in steals would boost our defensive presence. At 6'10 Ben can guard Kawhi or PG. And he can be a secondary playmaker so Luka doesnt need to run PG for every play as the case is now. Horford is the penalty we take in for them to agree (comparable to THJ + Lee when we got KP)

C- Porzingis / Horford
PF- Simmons / Kleber
SF- Finney Smith / Jackson
SG- Robinson / MLE (2020)
PG - Doncic / Burke

That's a team that can compete now. Elton Brand and Donnie have a good relationship. When the playoffs wrap up I expect Donnie to give him a call. Due diligence.

PS- That possible Porzingis - Simmons two man game would be ridiculous. KP shoots 40 footers, Simmons can move faster than any 6'10 dude in the NBA not named Giannis. His playmaking preserves Luka for end game situations too. Gives him time to rest from PG duties from time to time.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#280 » by arkuo » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:40 am

dirkforpres wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Read on Twitter

The trade to win now concept concerns me a bit. On one hand I'd like for them to be patient and do the rebuild right. On the other end of the spectrum you see Philly who rushed their rebuild and signed Tobias Harris and Al Horford to $235M combined. They smelled blood, thought they were sure to win a ring, now their capped out and facing a 1st round exit. Coach might be fired and they look like they need to blow their team up. One of Simmons or Embiid is sure to go.

Return to Dallas Mavericks