ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick)

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,662
And1: 626
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#401 » by arkuo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:08 pm

gottamakeit wrote:
He needs to add a 3 ball to his arsenal to keep defenses honest.
Can't have an offensive liability, no matter their defensive contributions.



He does have a 3 point shot, he just doesn't get much playing time to show his wares. He shot 37% his junior year and 35% in his senior year in college.

In comparison, Dorian Finney Smith is a career 33% three point shooter. So in that range, that should be adequate for what he provides on the opposite end of the floor. His ceiling is pretty much strictly 3&D player IMO.
fuller4379
Veteran
Posts: 2,813
And1: 824
Joined: May 05, 2014

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#402 » by fuller4379 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:36 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:Donnie gets an A+ for 2018 - Jalen Brunson and Luka

Donnie gets an F for the previous several years. Dennis Smith Jr., Justin Anderson, Shane Larkin (does that count. Cuban interfered with that draft or we might of had Giannis Antetokounmpo) etc.

Luka was a brainer and jb is a career backup so i wouldn't call drafting a consensus top 2 pick at number three a great job, had the kings not been the kings we draft wcj at 5 and are a 25 win team again


Phoenix, Sacramento, Atlanta, and Memphis could have had the best player in the 2018 draft, but they all turned him down.
Brunson was picked 33rd and ranks 11th in win shares. I would call that an A+ draft.
gottamakeit
Sophomore
Posts: 232
And1: 87
Joined: Jan 08, 2012

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#403 » by gottamakeit » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:46 pm

arkuo wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:
He needs to add a 3 ball to his arsenal to keep defenses honest.
Can't have an offensive liability, no matter their defensive contributions.



He does have a 3 point shot, he just doesn't get much playing time to show his wares. He shot 37% his junior year and 35% in his senior year in college.

In comparison, Dorian Finney Smith is a career 33% three point shooter. So in that range, that should be adequate for what he provides on the opposite end of the floor. His ceiling is pretty much strictly 3&D player IMO.


I'd argue there is large enough of a sample size to make a conclusion on his G-League play.
I've watched some of his G-league footage. His shot mechanics aren't pure & consistent yet. I noticed a hitch on a few shots, and none in others.
check out his month to month stats or his daily logs. It seems he's quite streaky.
https://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/1629729/traditional/
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,662
And1: 626
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#404 » by arkuo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:50 pm

gottamakeit wrote:
arkuo wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:
He needs to add a 3 ball to his arsenal to keep defenses honest.
Can't have an offensive liability, no matter their defensive contributions.



He does have a 3 point shot, he just doesn't get much playing time to show his wares. He shot 37% his junior year and 35% in his senior year in college.

In comparison, Dorian Finney Smith is a career 33% three point shooter. So in that range, that should be adequate for what he provides on the opposite end of the floor. His ceiling is pretty much strictly 3&D player IMO.


I'd argue there is large enough of a sample size to make a conclusion on his G-League play.
I've watched some of his G-league footage. His shot mechanics aren't pure & consistent yet. I noticed a hitch on a few shots, and none in others.
check out his month to month stats or his daily logs. It seems he's quite streaky.
https://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/1629729/traditional/



Yeah. Agree.

A good comparison to him his probably Gary Harris. That might probably be his ceiling as well.
JJP
Sophomore
Posts: 155
And1: 25
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#405 » by JJP » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:33 am

Tyrell Terry. This guy is a Steph Curry starter muffin.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

One of the reasons teams are in love with him is that he's shooting almost 7 3-pointers a game and hitting 41% of them. He hits 50% on 3s as catch-and-shoot. His free throw percentage is almost 90%. His basketball IQ apparently is off-the-charts, and he appears determined to make it. He's quick enough to get rebounds and steals, so he's not as much of a net-minus on defense as you might think.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Tyrell+Terry&docid=608033744343597706&mid=E4FEC11D63A2FCA08EABE4FEC11D63A2FCA08EAB&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
dirkforpres
General Manager
Posts: 8,910
And1: 3,723
Joined: Sep 13, 2005
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#406 » by dirkforpres » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:26 am

Read on Twitter


I want Hampton at 18 bad
boogiezen
Ballboy
Posts: 21
And1: 7
Joined: Aug 27, 2020

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#407 » by boogiezen » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:35 am

It won't be shocking if the Mavs will draft another undersized guard, even though they need a wing.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
User avatar
Pointguard01
RealGM
Posts: 12,853
And1: 223
Joined: Jun 07, 2004

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#408 » by Pointguard01 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 12:42 pm

I’m so in on Desmond Bane at #18. He’s NBA ready and could be a great long term role player next to Luka.
JJP
Sophomore
Posts: 155
And1: 25
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#409 » by JJP » Thu Oct 1, 2020 12:47 pm

boogiezen wrote:It won't be shocking if the Mavs will draft another undersized guard, even though they need a wing.


I agree. I think there are all sorts of reasons to draft a playmaking guard. For one, The Mavericks will likely get their defensive wing in a trade or free agency, not in the draft. They need immediate help there. They need a veteran for that position simply because they need one who can manage NBA defenses, and their draft position at #18 won't get them that player.

On the other hand, if there is a PG or a SG you might cultivate more slowly, there may be one out there (K. Lewis, Tyrell Terry). Or even Tyler Bey or Paul Reed later in the draft for defense but maybe not right away.

Carlisle wants another playmaker, and Barea is almost certainly gone. Brunson already has a track record next to Luca, and I'm not sure that's exactly what he's looking for. I could see them wanting to cultivate a player for that spot.

And Desmond Bane mentioned in the above post seems like a natural fit as well if you want a SG.
JD45
Head Coach
Posts: 7,179
And1: 33
Joined: Dec 28, 2003

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#410 » by JD45 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:04 pm

For 18 and 31, they just need to pick best potential to turn into an NBA player regardless of position. Too easy to get a complete bust in those spots. They can use trades to balance the roster and fill needs.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,138
And1: 633
Joined: Apr 02, 2006
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#411 » by Captain_Obvious » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:59 am

After watching some highlight/draft videos I came away mostly impressed by Saddiq Bey and Bane. Only thing that concerns me with Bane is his short wingspan (they make fun of Jimmy Butler, but Bane has real TRex arms). Nesmith has absurd 3pt % but I actually question his release. I see a clear hitch and he strong arms it. I wonder if he really has nba 3pt range or only deep/regular 2 range.
McDaniels looks like a high risk/reward player, same for Poku. Maybe one of them is there with our 2nd rounder.
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,599
And1: 5,141
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#412 » by Pinkyring » Fri Oct 2, 2020 7:32 pm

JD45 wrote:For 18 and 31, they just need to pick best potential to turn into an NBA player regardless of position. Too easy to get a complete bust in those spots. They can use trades to balance the roster and fill needs.

Yeah we're barely a playoff team, we don't have near enough talent to be drafting for need, it should be bpa regardless of position
JJP
Sophomore
Posts: 155
And1: 25
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#413 » by JJP » Fri Oct 2, 2020 8:36 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
JD45 wrote:For 18 and 31, they just need to pick best potential to turn into an NBA player regardless of position. Too easy to get a complete bust in those spots. They can use trades to balance the roster and fill needs.

Yeah we're barely a playoff team, we don't have near enough talent to be drafting for need, it should be bpa regardless of position


I need to push back a little bit on this. Every player gets profiled physically and mentally. And those profiles get imagined into the team's overall composition and need. Dallas is a particular team that is actually looking for very specific types of players. Dallas picked Dennis Smith Jr in 2017 because they were valuing PG's higher than centers. Otherwise we may have picked Zach Collins.

A player that Dallas may want may be listed lower on ESPN's top 100 list than number18, but may be more suitable for Dallas's needs. The may find Desmond Bane is a better pick than Colby Lewis at #18 even though there's not top 100 list that would have Bane as a higher pick.

As fans, we really have no idea how the Dallas front office values the top 30 players. It's likely very different than what we assume. But I think "need" is always factored in to a degree.
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,599
And1: 5,141
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#414 » by Pinkyring » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:32 pm

JJP wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
JD45 wrote:For 18 and 31, they just need to pick best potential to turn into an NBA player regardless of position. Too easy to get a complete bust in those spots. They can use trades to balance the roster and fill needs.

Yeah we're barely a playoff team, we don't have near enough talent to be drafting for need, it should be bpa regardless of position


I need to push back a little bit on this. Every player gets profiled physically and mentally. And those profiles get imagined into the team's overall composition and need. Dallas is a particular team that is actually looking for very specific types of players. Dallas picked Dennis Smith Jr in 2017 because they were valuing PG's higher than centers. Otherwise we may have picked Zach Collins.

A player that Dallas may want may be listed lower on ESPN's top 100 list than number18, but may be more suitable for Dallas's needs. The may find Desmond Bane is a better pick than Colby Lewis at #18 even though there's not top 100 list that would have Bane as a higher pick.

As fans, we really have no idea how the Dallas front office values the top 30 players. It's likely very different than what we assume. But I think "need" is always factored in to a degree.

Need shouldn't factor here we have a low talent level we need everything, there isnt one position on this team that couldn't use an upgrade
jpengland
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,950
And1: 5,050
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#415 » by jpengland » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:40 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
JJP wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Yeah we're barely a playoff team, we don't have near enough talent to be drafting for need, it should be bpa regardless of position


I need to push back a little bit on this. Every player gets profiled physically and mentally. And those profiles get imagined into the team's overall composition and need. Dallas is a particular team that is actually looking for very specific types of players. Dallas picked Dennis Smith Jr in 2017 because they were valuing PG's higher than centers. Otherwise we may have picked Zach Collins.

A player that Dallas may want may be listed lower on ESPN's top 100 list than number18, but may be more suitable for Dallas's needs. The may find Desmond Bane is a better pick than Colby Lewis at #18 even though there's not top 100 list that would have Bane as a higher pick.

As fans, we really have no idea how the Dallas front office values the top 30 players. It's likely very different than what we assume. But I think "need" is always factored in to a degree.

Need shouldn't factor here we have a low talent level we need everything, there isnt one position on this team that couldn't use an upgrade


But if you don't have the minutes or role for a player to develop, you won't maximise their potential anyway.

So yes BPA but also has to fit what we are doing and also needs to be valued by how scarce that type of player is .

I'd be looking away from bigs, as they can be picked up cheap and focusing on lengthy perimeter guys who project as decent shooters and defenders as they fit what we are doing, are the most scarce commodity in the league and every single team wants more of them. Alternatively shooters or PG wo can run a pnr.
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,599
And1: 5,141
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#416 » by Pinkyring » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:51 pm

jpengland wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
JJP wrote:
I need to push back a little bit on this. Every player gets profiled physically and mentally. And those profiles get imagined into the team's overall composition and need. Dallas is a particular team that is actually looking for very specific types of players. Dallas picked Dennis Smith Jr in 2017 because they were valuing PG's higher than centers. Otherwise we may have picked Zach Collins.

A player that Dallas may want may be listed lower on ESPN's top 100 list than number18, but may be more suitable for Dallas's needs. The may find Desmond Bane is a better pick than Colby Lewis at #18 even though there's not top 100 list that would have Bane as a higher pick.

As fans, we really have no idea how the Dallas front office values the top 30 players. It's likely very different than what we assume. But I think "need" is always factored in to a degree.

Need shouldn't factor here we have a low talent level we need everything, there isnt one position on this team that couldn't use an upgrade


But if you don't have the minutes or role for a player to develop, you won't maximise their potential anyway.

So yes BPA but also has to fit what we are doing and also needs to be valued by how scarce that type of player is .

I'd be looking away from bigs, as they can be picked up cheap and focusing on lengthy perimeter guys who project as decent shooters and defenders as they fit what we are doing, are the most scarce commodity in the league and every single team wants more of them. Alternatively shooters or PG wo can run a pnr.

We have the minutes the question is will rick develop them, we only have two guys that deserve extended minutes every night all the others should have to earn their minutes. We aren't a win now team but Rick will still coach that was unfortunately
jpengland
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,950
And1: 5,050
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#417 » by jpengland » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:56 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
jpengland wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Need shouldn't factor here we have a low talent level we need everything, there isnt one position on this team that couldn't use an upgrade


But if you don't have the minutes or role for a player to develop, you won't maximise their potential anyway.

So yes BPA but also has to fit what we are doing and also needs to be valued by how scarce that type of player is .

I'd be looking away from bigs, as they can be picked up cheap and focusing on lengthy perimeter guys who project as decent shooters and defenders as they fit what we are doing, are the most scarce commodity in the league and every single team wants more of them. Alternatively shooters or PG wo can run a pnr.

We have the minutes the question is will rick develop them, we only have two guys that deserve extended minutes every night all the others should have to earn their minutes. We aren't a win now team but Rick will still coach that was unfortunately


How the **** are you still criticising Carlisle?!?
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,599
And1: 5,141
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#418 » by Pinkyring » Fri Oct 2, 2020 10:01 pm

jpengland wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
jpengland wrote:
But if you don't have the minutes or role for a player to develop, you won't maximise their potential anyway.

So yes BPA but also has to fit what we are doing and also needs to be valued by how scarce that type of player is .

I'd be looking away from bigs, as they can be picked up cheap and focusing on lengthy perimeter guys who project as decent shooters and defenders as they fit what we are doing, are the most scarce commodity in the league and every single team wants more of them. Alternatively shooters or PG wo can run a pnr.

We have the minutes the question is will rick develop them, we only have two guys that deserve extended minutes every night all the others should have to earn their minutes. We aren't a win now team but Rick will still coach that was unfortunately


How the **** are you still criticising Carlisle?!?

Because he's not perfect...... every coach has flaws his most glaring ones are not playing young players, not being personable, playing favorites
JJP
Sophomore
Posts: 155
And1: 25
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#419 » by JJP » Fri Oct 2, 2020 10:25 pm

Pinkyring wrote:Need shouldn't factor here we have a low talent level we need everything, there isnt one position on this team that couldn't use an upgrade


But there's some positions in more need than others.

The Mavs aren't going to draft a player who needs the ball a lot to be effective. If we were drafting #1 in this year's draft, we would not be drafting LaMelo Ball. We would be drafting a piece than would complement Doncic, not compete with him for minutes. I'm pretty sure you know this already, you're just not thinking it through.
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,599
And1: 5,141
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#420 » by Pinkyring » Fri Oct 2, 2020 10:33 pm

JJP wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Need shouldn't factor here we have a low talent level we need everything, there isnt one position on this team that couldn't use an upgrade


But there's some positions in more need than others.

The Mavs aren't going to draft a player who needs the ball a lot to be effective. If we were drafting #1 in this year's draft, we would not be drafting LaMelo Ball. We would be drafting a piece than would complement Doncic, not compete with him for minutes. I'm pretty sure you know this already, you're just not thinking it through.

If melo is bpa u absolutely draft him, they wouldn't be competing for minutes dude there are plenty to go around and again we don't have the luxury to draft for need, we are barely a playoff team, u don't build around luka right now especially when u have a lack of talent

Return to Dallas Mavericks