ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Discussion (18th and 31st pick) 

Post#541 » by JJP » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:40 pm

I don't believe any rookie draft pick threatens Hardaway.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#542 » by JD45 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:28 pm

Darren wrote:Among all newcomers, I am exceptionally high on Terry. I think Terry is closed to mid-1st talent. I think Terry will throw Brunson and Wright under the bus during rookie season. While I am not high on J-Rich, the defense and flexibility, is there. Technically, J-Rich has a low cap hold allowing the Mavs to operate completely different ways in 2021.

Its easy to get excited right after the draft. But remember where these guys were picked. Just based on draft position, none of them have more than a 50% chance of being long term NBA players. Green and Bey are the most risky. If they can't get their 3 pt shot to work, they don't have anything else offensively to keep them in the league. I think Terry is the least risky as there seems to always be a roster spot for a good shooter.

The real big loser on the Mavs is Trey Burke. I can't see him coming back. And THJ is at risk from J-Risk. So he is more likely to be traded.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#543 » by JJP » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:02 pm

JD45 wrote:
Its easy to get excited right after the draft. But remember where these guys were picked. Just based on draft position, none of them have more than a 50% chance of being long term NBA players. Green and Bey are the most risky. If they can't get their 3 pt shot to work, they don't have anything else offensively to keep them in the league. I think Terry is the least risky as there seems to always be a roster spot for a good shooter.

The real big loser on the Mavs is Trey Burke. I can't see him coming back. And THJ is at risk from J-Risk. So he is more likely to be traded.

I just had that same thought about Burke. I don't think the Mavs expected to see Tyler Terry at #31. Now that they have him, where does that leave Burke?

They may still have an interest in Burke since he can play on the floor with Luca, and whose quickness brings something different to the table. But they will likely wait to see if they can get him for the minimum.

I think you're right about Green and Bey. People have to remember that Justin Jackson was picked with the 15th pick in the 2017 draft, and right now we would trade him for a bag of chips. That could just as easily be Green in three years.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#544 » by leolozon » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:45 am

I didn't realize that Tyrell Terry was such a smart guy. I read that he "“broke a record” for a basketball IQ test administered by several NBA front offices this offseason."

And then I heard on a podcast that he was actually taking school seriously in Stanford, so didn't concentrate 100% on basketball, and had a 3.5 GPA.

He actually appears incredibly knowledgeable in interviews.

How come he fell so far? A guy who's that smart and is that great of a shooter is something you should want at some point before the 31st pick, even if his measurements aren't great.

And got to love those two comps on a site :
"rich man’s Seth Curry"
"poor man’s Steph Curry"
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#545 » by JJP » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:38 am

leolozon wrote:I didn't realize that Tyrell Terry was such a smart guy. I read that he "“broke a record” for a basketball IQ test administered by several NBA front offices this offseason."

And then I heard on a podcast that he was actually taking school seriously in Stanford, so didn't concentrate 100% on basketball, and had a 3.5 GPA.

How come he fell so far? A guy who's that smart and is that great of a shooter is something you should want at some point before the 31st pick, even if his measurements aren't great.

From every report I read about him (and I read quite a bit before the draft), the biggest obstacle to his success was going to be his weight (at the time, only 160lbs). He was projected as a mid-second round pick. He apparently saw this and started a serious workout regimen with calorie intake in excess of 4000 calories a day. He videoed his workouts with a trainer. It's on the Internet. He also worked out with Jeff Teague.

The NBA doesn't like small players with no hard body. So he did every thing he could and his workout got people's attention. Since he had an elite skill, his stock rose in the draft to about mid-first talent. That's where he was expected to go.

You will likely see a more muscular player when he shows up in Dallas then you see in his college videos.

His head was always in the right place. His body just needed some seasoning.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#546 » by leolozon » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:50 am

JJP wrote:
leolozon wrote:I didn't realize that Tyrell Terry was such a smart guy. I read that he "“broke a record” for a basketball IQ test administered by several NBA front offices this offseason."

From every report I read about him (and I read quite a bit before the draft), the biggest obstacle to his success was going to be his weight (at the time, only 160lbs). He was projected as a mid-second round pick. He apparently saw this and started a serious workout regimen with calorie intake in excess of 4000 calories a day. He videoed his workouts with a trainer. It's on the Internet. He also worked out with Jeff Teague.

The NBA doesn't like small players with no hard body. So he did every thing he could and his workout got people's attention. Since he had an elite skill, his stock rose in the draft to about mid-first talent. That's where he was expected to go.

You will likely see a more muscular player when he shows up in Dallas then you see in his college videos.

His head was always in the right place. His body just needed some seasoning.

Is his body that much worst than Trae or Kemba when they were drafted? I know neither can defend, which is sort of the point, but they're doing all right in the league. If you're smart, can shoot and pass, 31st seems really low even if your body is weak.

Let's hope he can keep working on that body and not be an atrocious defender.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#547 » by JJP » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:15 am

leolozon wrote:Is his body that much worst than Trae or Kemba when they were drafted? I know neither can defend, which is sort of the point, but they're doing all right in the league. If you're smart, can shoot and pass, 31st seems really low even if your body is weak.

Let's hope he can keep working on that body and not be an atrocious defender.

Agree. There were a lot of scouts that were really high on him. You never know in the draft. I mean even Devin Vassell dropped several slots. Saddiq Bey shouldn't have been there at #18. Hell, Nico Mannion dropped about 20 spots into the second round! Devon Dotson wasn't even drafted.

He's clearly a hard worker. Of all the Mavs picks, he really seems more likely to stick with an NBA career than the others.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#548 » by HMFFL » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:07 pm

Dwain Price: Arizona coach Sean Miller on Mavs 1st-round draft pick Josh Green: “He has no problem being physical. I think that’s one of the reasons that he’s such an excellent defensive player – ahead of the curve for somebody who is so young – and thrives in transition.” @Dallas Mavericks

– via Twitter DwainPrice

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#549 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:17 pm

HMFFL wrote:Dwain Price: Arizona coach Sean Miller on Mavs 1st-round draft pick Josh Green: “He has no problem being physical. I think that’s one of the reasons that he’s such an excellent defensive player – ahead of the curve for somebody who is so young – and thrives in transition.” @Dallas Mavericks

Maybe that's a consequence of his Aussie-rules background?
Dundalis
Senior
And1: 543

Post#550 » by Dundalis » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:18 am

JJP wrote:I don't believe any rookie draft pick threatens Hardaway.

To start the season no, but the only value THJ provides that is starter caliber is his 3 point shooting, and he's a career 34% 3 point shooter. He's always been streaky and if he happens to regress back to the mean in that area, he's not an NBA starter on a playoff caliber team. Which would certainly put his starting spot up for grabs. Might not be taken by a rookie, but it's possible as we get deeper into the season and we see what the rooks have got (they all seem to be mature in a Jalen Brunson type of way, and all of them are arguably more talented either physically or skill wise). THJ in an ideal world is not in the starting lineup.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#551 » by HMFFL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:58 am

Serge Ibaka has agreed to a 2-year, $19 million free agent contract to join the Los Angeles Clippers.

This is a huge get for the Clippers, who lost Montrezl Harrell to the Lakers earlier in free agency, and Ibaka will be able to provide starter's minutes at either power forward or center, where Marcus Morris (PF) and Ivica Zubac (C) will challenge him for the starting job. 

SOURCE: Shams Charania on Twitter

Nov 21, 2020, 11:27 PM ET

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#552 » by BlueSan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:24 pm

Dundalis wrote:
JJP wrote:I don't believe any rookie draft pick threatens Hardaway.

To start the season no, but the only value THJ provides that is starter caliber is his 3 point shooting, and he's a career 34% 3 point shooter. He's always been streaky and if he happens to regress back to the mean in that area, he's not an NBA starter on a playoff caliber team. Which would certainly put his starting spot up for grabs. Might not be taken by a rookie, but it's possible as we get deeper into the season and we see what the rooks have got (they all seem to be mature in a Jalen Brunson type of way, and all of them are arguably more talented either physically or skill wise). THJ in an ideal world is not in the starting lineup.

That is not true. This team also has a sever lack of people who can create their own shot out of dribble. While THJ is certainly not elite at it, he is someone who can.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#553 » by Apz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:47 pm

Watched a video of Terry training during the cororna times. Seems he is taking it damn serious and had gained a lot of weight, so not sure how accurate the old draft reports are about his weight and body.
Apz
Lead Assistant

Post#554 » by Apz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:51 pm

Was the video I watched. Seems like a smart kid
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#555 » by JD45 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:22 pm

Great video. He is impressive.

But what kind of BS workout was he doing? Great that he gained 20 pounds on that, but he looked like he can easily carry 20 more. 6 months is a long time to only gain 20 pounds at his age if he is full time training.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#556 » by JJP » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:31 pm

JD45 wrote:Great video. He is impressive.

But what kind of BS workout was he doing? Great that he gained 20 pounds on that, but he looked like he can easily carry 20 more. 6 months is a long time to only gain 20 pounds at his age if he is full time training.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think you want to gain weight so quickly that it potentially changes how you shoot the basketball. My guess is that this kind of workout was carefully measured.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#557 » by arkuo » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:36 pm

Tyrell Terry signs a 4 year deal. Similar to what Jalen Brunson signed. I think the kid sticks around.
Apz
Lead Assistant

Post#558 » by Apz » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:00 am

Its them 31 picks that sticks it seems=)

Return to Dallas Mavericks