ImageImageImage

Will there be a trade?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Will Mavs make a trade before next deadline?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Yes, and I'm going to love it.
50%
Yes, and I'm going to hate it.
No votes
No, because they are incompetent.
No votes
No, because there was no good trade available.
50%

Total votes: 8

J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Will there be a trade? 

Post#1 » by J_T » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 pm

February 6th, yes or no?

Also there is no other option - we all know it's going to be either love or hate, nothing in between. :D
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Re: Will there be a trade? 

Post#2 » by Imon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:47 pm

No trade of any significance, I think.

Seems to me that Kleber and Powell are close to untouchable since KP will likely miss more games and the Mavs front court would be a raging tire fire inferno without either Kleber or Powell. If the Mavs could get back another rotation big in any trade (to match salaries or something) I could see either Kleber or Powell getting shipped out but I can't really see any team sending the Mavs a rotation big as good as Kleber or Powell without that big being significantly more expensive than the Mavs bigs.

Luka is obviously untouchable as the franchise player and KP as the second star.

This leaves one or more of the young guards as the likely trade pieces. Brunson, Wright, or Seth in particular.
Mavs can't give out a 1st rounder until 2025 because of the Stepien rule and how appealing are 2nd round picks really?

I've read that the Mavs are interested in Covington and Minnesota is said to be interested in a ball-handler now that they've shipped out Teague. Would the Wolves perhaps be interested in Brunson? He's young and a pretty savvy player at his age or maybe they might be interested in a Barea re-run (although I can't see the Mavs doing JJ dirty like that, lol). What could be enough to pry Covington away from the Wolves?

Brunson, Lee (to match salaries & as a expiring), and a few 2nd rounders?
Wolves could probably do better than that but it would work.
aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#3 » by aggerrard » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:31 am

I wouldn't mind if we traded for a big center - and still keep Kleber and Powell. It doesn't have to be anything significant. Ian Mahinmi back in Dallas for Lee + a 2nd? Decent defending big and doesn't give up a size advantage to most centers like Powell and Kleber does.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#4 » by The Sparest » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:14 am

I think we will most likely see a small trade for someone like Dedmon or Snell. I think there is a small chance they can trade for Covington and Dieng, if Min wants cap relief this summer more than a late first or two.

I would be happy with the first scenario, and delighted with the second.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#5 » by Teffer10 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:37 am

aggerrard wrote:I wouldn't mind if we traded for a big center - and still keep Kleber and Powell. It doesn't have to be anything significant. Ian Mahinmi back in Dallas for Lee + a 2nd? Decent defending big and doesn't give up a size advantage to most centers like Powell and Kleber does.

Yeah, Mahinmi would be good to have for the POs.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,856

Post#6 » by dirkules_41 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:21 am

Teffer10 wrote:
aggerrard wrote:I wouldn't mind if we traded for a big center - and still keep Kleber and Powell. It doesn't have to be anything significant. Ian Mahinmi back in Dallas for Lee + a 2nd? Decent defending big and doesn't give up a size advantage to most centers like Powell and Kleber does.

I suggested that on the trade thread the other day but got no response. I think that would be a very cheap and easy upgrade for us with no obvious downside and WAS won't care because they're playing for the golden pineapple.
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by aggerrard » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:26 am

dirkules_41 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

I suggested that on the trade thread the other day but got no response. I think that would be a very cheap and easy upgrade for us with no obvious downside and WAS won't care because they're playing for the golden pineapple.

Thums up for that suggestion - haven't seen it, so didn't try and steal it :D

But i agree that it makes a lot of sense. A small pickup that can be useful in some games.
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by aggerrard » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:29 am

The Sparest wrote:I think we will most likely see a small trade for someone like Dedmon or Snell. I think there is a small chance they can trade for Covington and Dieng, if Min wants cap relief this summer more than a late first or two.

Dedmon could be a great pickup if it wasn't for his contract.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,856

Post#9 » by dirkules_41 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:38 am

Haha wasn't suggesting that, you've just done better than me it seems :D

I think Mahinmi is the better one out of the two as he expires in the summer so it's trash contract for trash contract but we rent a player who can help. I wouldn't want to be stuck with the Dedmon deal.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#10 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:55 am

I voted No because there was no good trade available, but I'd amend that to "because the Mavs don't have enough or the right level/quality of assets to get the deal that they want done".

Any significant trade they do would require this team to break off a piece they currently use. Say you trade Seth Curry for Robert Covington straight up. To me that's a win for the Mavs. BUT, we're 42 games in. The Mavs have started to figure out how to blend THJ, Delon Wright, Seth, Brunson, DFS all together.

Then you're just suppose to start all over with what? 30 games left in the schedule to figure it all out by the time you make that trade. It took the Mavs at least 30 games to start to figure things out and look cohesive out there this season, and they dropped some bad losses while they did. The 2 games vs New York stand out. THJ overstepping his role in both cases.

Covington steps in here & he'll likely be too passive or too aggressive for the first month.

I just don't see any player outside of a layup, like Jrue Holiday or someone like that who is just a clear talent upgrade that steps in here without creating one problem to solve another.
J_T
Veteran

Post#11 » by J_T » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:59 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:I voted No because there was no good trade available, but I'd amend that to "because the Mavs don't have enough or the right level/quality of assets to get the deal that they want done".

Yeah, it is actually included in that option, it's probably number one way it becomes the Feb 6th outcome.

Also, so far we only have votes on first and last option so I know Pinky hasn't voted. You know that he can only pick one of the other two. :lol:
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#12 » by The Sparest » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:42 pm

aggerrard wrote:
The Sparest wrote:I think we will most likely see a small trade for someone like Dedmon or Snell. I think there is a small chance they can trade for Covington and Dieng, if Min wants cap relief this summer more than a late first or two.

The 3rd year is only 1 million guaranteed. We won't have cap space this summer anyway, and since his deal will basically be expiring, it could be a trade asset.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by aggerrard » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:59 pm

The Sparest wrote:
aggerrard wrote:

The 3rd year is only 1 million guaranteed. We won't have cap space this summer anyway, and since his deal will basically be expiring, it could be a trade asset.

Ahh - i have heard and read that before, didn't think about it. Yeah, then it is a no risk trade aswell - i had in my head we would have his 13m contract a year in 21/22 aswell.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#14 » by fuller4379 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:40 am

Don’t trade anyone and wait for the buyout market.
J_T
Veteran

Post#15 » by J_T » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:18 pm

I checked around to see what other teams' fans think and was surprised to find Bulls - Mavs proposals. So here are 3 proposals made by a Bulls fan on Fansided. What do you think about quality of these proposals? :)

Mavs get:
Cristiano Felicio (7.5M for one more season)
Lauri Markaknen (rookie contract running out after next season)
Mavs give:
Courtney Lee
first-round pick

Mavs get:
Zach LaVine (19.5m for two more seasons)
Mavs give:
Courtney Lee
Seth Curry
first-round pick

Mavs get:
Ryan Arcidiacono (3m for one more season with one year team option after that)
Mavs give:
Brunson
THJ
first-round pick

I'm not sure if he realizes that Mavs don't have many first round picks available, I'm going to assume that he does. These trade proposals... are so much weirder than what has been discussed around here for ages now. Seems like fans of each team live in their own bubbles. I think if we asked fans of each team for the top trade proposal involving Mavs, we would get a very interesting list.
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#16 » by deb » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:43 pm

J_T wrote:I checked around to see what other teams' fans think and was surprised to find Bulls - Mavs proposals. So here are 3 proposals made by a Bulls fan on Fansided. What do you think about quality of these proposals? :)

Mavs get:
Mavs give:
Courtney Lee
first-round pick

Mavs get:
Mavs give:
Courtney Lee
Seth Curry
first-round pick

Mavs get:
Mavs give:
Brunson
THJ
first-round pick

I'm not sure if he realizes that Mavs don't have many first round picks available, I'm going to assume that he does. These trade proposals... are so much weirder than what has been discussed around here for ages now. Seems like fans of each team live in their own bubbles. I think if we asked fans of each team for the top trade proposal involving Mavs, we would get a very interesting list.

All of these trades are daylight robbery for the mavs, very one sided...
J_T
Veteran

Post#17 » by J_T » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:47 pm

deb wrote:
J_T wrote:I checked around to see what other teams' fans think and was surprised to find Bulls - Mavs proposals. So here are 3 proposals made by a Bulls fan on Fansided. What do you think about quality of these proposals? :)

Mavs get:
Mavs give:
Courtney Lee
first-round pick

Mavs get:
Mavs give:
Courtney Lee
Seth Curry
first-round pick

Mavs get:
Mavs give:
Brunson
THJ
first-round pick

All of these trades are daylight robbery for the mavs, very one sided...

You mean in favor of the Mavs? Well, that's the funny thing, comes from Chicago fan. :)
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#18 » by dirkforpres » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:48 pm

I doubt there will be a major shake up aside from Lee and maybe someone like Roby or Jackson.

Iguodala, Bogdan, and Hernangomez are the likeliest targets if I had to guess
FIRE JASON KIDD
J_T
Veteran

Post#19 » by J_T » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:06 pm

dirkforpres wrote:I doubt there will be a major shake up aside from Lee and maybe someone like Roby or Jackson.

Hernangomez? Why? Please don't tell me because he is friends with Luka. :) There is zero chance they trade for him.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#20 » by dirkforpres » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:23 pm

J_T wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:I doubt there will be a major shake up aside from Lee and maybe someone like Roby or Jackson.

Hernangomez? Why? Please don't tell me because he is friends with Luka. :) There is zero chance they trade for him.

He’s a solid big man that could be had for almost nothing. I’d really like for the Mavs to go after Kidd-Gilchrist, but if Hernangomez was a throw-in I’d be over the moon
FIRE JASON KIDD

Return to Dallas Mavericks