Options at the PF/C spot with Powell out

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Re: Options at the PF/C spot with Powell out 

Post#21 » by Bluelabel24 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:05 am

what do you guys think about Khem Birch

Orlando has like 8 bigs(pf/c) so he might be available..
Birch is built like adebayo, 6'9-6'10 size, strong torso, explosive athlete but cant shoot.

hopefully a Justin Jackson for Khem Birch straight up gets it done.
But do you think mavs should do it if Orlando wants Delon Wright? something like a Delon Wright for Khem Birch and DJ Augustin
Jg41
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#22 » by Jg41 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:39 am

This is an interesting option (though perhaps a bit to costly and freewheeling for my taste):

Serge Ibaka for Delon Wright, Courtney Lee, and the GSW 2nd round pick and maybe some cash and a future 2nd if necessary.

The numbers add up almost exactly (23.2M incoming, 22.2M outgoing), and both teams would come away with more positionally balanced rosters. The Raptors have an incentive to extract something of value for Ibaka before his contract expires this summer, and with Siakam and Boucher in the fold at PF, they have the in-house talent to do so without facing a substantial drop-off in on-court production. They would likely welcome back Wright with open arms as a potential short-term replacement for Lowry if he too is later moved, or as a savvy, above-average, fairly priced, back-up PG to someone else. They get a valuable pick in the deal as well.

In Ibaka, the Mavs get a guy who brings a lot of Powell's skillset (with the exception of 3pt range) and then some. Ibaka is a better shot blocker, rebounder, and arguably as good of a roll man, and I think he's actually a great fit next to KP. The silver lining to this is that we open up an additional 9M in cap room in 2021.

The Mavs create an extra roster spot in the process and sign Joakim Noah to a minimum deal to round out the depth chart:

PG: L. Doncic / J. Brunson / J. Barea
SG: T. Hardaway / S. Curry / A. Cleveland
SF: D. Finney-Smith / J. Jackson / R. Broekhoff
PF: K. Porzingis / M. Kleber / I. Roby
C: S. Ibaka / B. Marjonovic / J. Noah

Thoughts?
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#23 » by Knosh » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:06 pm

I think we should be fine with Barea taking Powell's minutes
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#24 » by arkuo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:23 pm

Since we have like 5 ppint guards, Barea should just get waived and join the coaching staff. That should clear a roster spot to get a big man on board.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#25 » by ejs78 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:33 pm

This would be a good move and one that's realistic.
Bluelabel24 wrote:what do you guys think about Khem Birch

Orlando has like 8 bigs(pf/c) so he might be available..
Birch is built like adebayo, 6'9-6'10 size, strong torso, explosive athlete but cant shoot.

hopefully a Justin Jackson for Khem Birch straight up gets it done.
But do you think mavs should do it if Orlando wants Delon Wright? something like a Delon Wright for Khem Birch and DJ Augustin

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#26 » by DoItALL9 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Hasheem Thabeet

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#27 » by dirkforpres » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:13 pm

Read on Twitter
FIRE JASON KIDD
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#28 » by Knosh » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:36 pm

arkuo wrote:Since we have like 5 ppint guards, Barea should just get waived and join the coaching staff. That should clear a roster spot to get a big man on board.

But Barea is better than any big man you could realistically get. Just play him instead. It's easier, better and also cheaper. Kind of a no brainer.
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#29 » by NY 567 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:16 pm

Powell is a great roller, but ultimately Porzingis has a lot more upside, is making a lot more money, and has the potential to be a star, so hopefully this means we get a lot more Doncic to KP action.

Noah wouldn't be a bad pickup, he and KP have experience playing together in the frontcourt and they played fairly well together.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#30 » by BlueSan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:41 pm

Oh boy this will get messy soon. I would like to have an option like oversees, or the G league because it doesnt mess up the current team. Anything else I am really against.

Also Powell was out at the start of this campaign. So we are returning to that era. The biggest problem is however that you also have a questionable KP (health wise) and absolutely no one from Marjanovič, KP or Maxi can get injured at this point for you to not completely fall apart. So yeah you definitely need another PF¸/ guy preferably one that can make 3pt shots and protect the rim a bit (roll and get rebounds)

Also he doesnt have to be elite... he just has to be decent and Luka on his own will make him good enough.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#31 » by Darren » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:23 am

Do the Mavs gets extra roster spot as Powell and Broekhoff are bound to miss the rest of the season? Then, what about getting Dirk back in mix?
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#32 » by Darren » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:26 am

Luka can play PF as good as anyone as long as the Mavs gets another 3D player in starting lineup.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#33 » by Imon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:30 am

Darren wrote:Do the Mavs gets extra roster spot as Powell and Broekhoff are bound to miss the rest of the season? Then, what about getting Dirk back in mix?

I don't think Broekhoff's injury is season ending. Last day to apply for a disabled player exception was Jan 15th which was BEFORE the Powell injury. It's gonna be tough but Donnie is going to have to trade players away or waive someone if he wants to add a player.

Also, as much as I would LOVE to see Dirk back in a Mavs uniform I think he's pretty much done for. He did an interview with Jeff Wade after he retired where he detailed how messed up his foot was. I mean, I'm pretty sure Dirk could still shoot the lights out but with all the switches on defenses nowadays Dirk would get blown by even the scrubbiest of guards a dozen times a game.
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by ejs78 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:45 am

No Larry Sanders?

Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#35 » by Imon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:56 am

ejs78 wrote:No Larry Sanders?

Wasn't this guy a head case?
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by ejs78 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:21 am

Yeah who Mavs fans LOVED
Imon wrote:
ejs78 wrote:No Larry Sanders?

Wasn't this guy a head case?

Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,964

Post#37 » by Archx » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:26 am

Darren wrote:Luka can play PF as good as anyone as long as the Mavs gets another 3D player in starting lineup.

But Luka is a PG and not PF, basically Porzingis is playing PF and Powell was a C.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#38 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:25 am

Imon wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Use some of the tpe and a 2nd for wcs and call it a day

Are you talking about Willie Cauley-Stein?
I guess it just might be the stink of how bad the Warriors are right now but I don't think he's any good.

Tim MacMahon went over the dilemma the Mavs are facing on the Hoop Collective podcast yesterday. I think he did a pretty good job summing things up.

The Mavs need a big who is a PnR big, which he says Drummond is not. Calls Drummond a poor fit because he doesn't help the Mavs do anything they need help with other than rebounding. For example, KP is the one who hangs back and defends the other team's 5s. KP protects the rim. It's Powell & Kleber who have been out there defending stretch 4s. KP & Drummond is too redudant for that. It's why you don't see KP & Boban on the court together much, I guess.

He actually mentioned Willie Cauley-Stein, but said the only problem is the Warriors are going to be like "Sure. Give us our 2nd rounder back this year & he's all yours"

That's the problem because that pick should be more valuable than WCS long term if the Mavs use it right or if a player like Isaiah Joe falls to them there at 31. Joe could go earlier in the draft or could be a bust, but I like the idea of getting a look at a player like that with the 31st pick over trading it for a 3 month rental for a team that maybe makes the 2nd round or maybe doesn't.

There will be a half dozen or so really intriguing prospects there at that 31 pick. I'm now at the point where I don't want to see the Mavs trade that pick away. Imagine watching Jalen Brunson play for somebody else right now because we traded our pick for a 3 month rental in 2014, for example.

I think there's a time to go for it & time to hold onto assets, and in my opinion, this is not the time to go for it---if that means trading away picks. If it's just a salary thing, then sure let's do it. But, don't give up anything long term.
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#39 » by Bluelabel24 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:23 am

really believe that theres a ton of talent out there. Drummond is just not a great fit for us.
just a few yrs ago guys like Siakam and Boucher were in the g league. sign a guy who could fill the need and if he turns out to be a bust just waive him.

here are 2 guys from the g league that might have some potential
Darel Poirier- 22yrs, 6'10 can shoot

Doral Moore- 23yrs, 7'1 280lbs elite athlete.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#40 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:22 am

Larry Nance Jr. - I gave this guy some thought earlier in the season after the Cavs made the "Everyone on our roster excepts Darius Garland is available" statement.

Posted about him on here & the feedback was he's too much like Dwight Powell, which is accurate. He's 27, 1 year younger, even on a similar deal, essentially $32 mil over the next 3 years. Nance is a quick leaping, undersized PF/C type.

I'd be interested to see what Nance's PnR #s are (although, he really hasn't played with anyone capable of holding up the other end of that PnR, so maybe the #s aren't so great).

I don't know that you really want to have Nance & Powell on this roster for $65 mil over the next 3 seasons, but who knows if Powell is the same player again?

If you're talking about replacing Powell for just this season, then I'm not sure there's another player out there (who is available) that would slide in so nicely to Powell's role. Nance Jr puts up very similar #s to Powell & has a very similar body type/athletic skill set to Powell.

My only concern would be can Nance absorb the offense & blend in fast enough, but you have that concern with anyone you bring in.

Then ya gotta think about what would it cost to acquire Nance?

Return to Dallas Mavericks