Global Mod
And1: 35,901

Re: Danilo Gallinari 

Post#21 » by Dirk » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:55 pm

Imon wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Spoiler:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
They just talked about this on the Hoop Collective podcast yesterday. Prior to that I was unaware (I mean who really understands NBA salary caps, anyways?)... The Mavs have a $12 mil trade exception, so they can add that to Lee's $12.8 mil and trade for a player(s) with $24.8 mil worth of contract... I think maybe up to 125% of that value too.

Point being, they were talking about potential trade targets. They mentioned Tristian Thompson for example who makes like $18 mil on an expiring contract and they were only using Lee & the GSW 2nd rounder for what the Mavs needed to include to get it done.

Can trade exceptions be combined with players for trades?

You know, I've looked far and wide for a definitive answer and I couldn't really find it.

Nay

You cannot combine a TPE with players salary.

I.e, let's say you had a TPE worth $10M and a player making $5M, you can't combine them for a guy who makes $15M.

You cannot combine exceptions. I.e, currently the Mavs have
Trade Exception (Wesley Matthews, expiring 1/31/20) — $1,233,152
Trade Exception (Harrison Barnes, expiring 2/7/20) — $11,825,694

They can't be combined and get you a 13M TPE.

They can be broken up to bring in several players. Which is why the Mavs opted to remain an over-the-cap team, by taking Wright into their $21.3MM trade exception and using the mid-level exception to sign Seth Curry. That way they were able to preserve the trade exceptions, they'd have to renounce them otherwise.
60/21/10
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#22 » by arkuo » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:31 pm

Dirk wrote:
Imon wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Spoiler:

Can trade exceptions be combined with players for trades?

You know, I've looked far and wide for a definitive answer and I couldn't really find it.

Nay

You cannot combine a TPE with players salary.

I.e, let's say you had a TPE worth $10M and a player making $5M, you can't combine them for a guy who makes $15M.

They can be broken up to bring in several players. Which is why the Mavs opted to remain an over-the-cap team, by taking Wright into their $21.3MM trade exception and using the mid-level exception to sign Seth Curry. That way they were able to preserve the trade exceptions, they'd have to renounce them otherwise.

What Donnie needs to look for is a team that is over the cap who can use that huge TPE to get under the cap immediately and avoid paying luxury tax.

Teams like Portland and Golden State are into lux tax category and I dont think will be competing for a playoff spot.

Thing is, Portland needs a big man too. That leaves GSW.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#23 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:01 pm

Dirk wrote:You cannot combine a TPE with players salary.

Good to know. I was just paraphrasing a discussion Tim MacMahon, Jackie McMullens and Brian Windhorst were having on the Hoop Collective podcast. MacMahon spearheaded the discussion. He didn't specifically say you could do it, but the examples he was citing, kinda implied he thought you could. Or maybe he was just leaving out the part about the Mavs would have to figure out the rest to make it work.

So, what's an example of how you could use the $11.8 mil TPE from the Barnes deal? It doesn't have to be realistic. Just structurally. How would it function?
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#24 » by jpengland » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:33 pm

Terrible fit.

We have a league best offense (admittedly a boost on that front wouldn't hurt as we start to stall) and need help slowing down perimeter scorers. He's also incredibly injury prone and will be expensive to extend.

We would be giving up assets for a 4 month rental with a strong likelihood of him being unavailable through injury and if he does get on court he tanks our defense.

A hard pass.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#25 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:11 pm

jpengland wrote:Terrible fit.

We have a league best offense (admittedly a boost on that front wouldn't hurt as we start to stall) and need help slowing down perimeter scorers. He's also incredibly injury prone and will be expensive to extend.

We would be giving up assets for a 4 month rental with a strong likelihood of him being unavailable through injury and if he does get on court he tanks our defense.

A hard pass.

I was listening to Zach Lowe & Dave McMenamin discuss Kyle Kuzma, and they were discussing how Kuzma is a stretch 4. How he hasn't been very good at the 3, and how the Lakers haven't been as good with Kuzma, AD & McGee/Howard on the floor together. AD wants to play the 4, so it forces Kuzma to play out of position.

That's sorta the thing nowadays. There's an abundance of stretch 4s, but nobody wants to play the 5.

We have that problem with KP. He's a guy who wants to play the 4, not be a center. So, we're going to see a lot of stretch 4s come across our desk. Teams always trying to move extra, ill-fitting parts along.

I know Gallo has played SF a lot over his career, but he's a 4 nowadays; especially on defense. I was even thinking during this Lowe & McMenamin discussion, would Kuzma work on the Mavs? Nope. Gonna continually run into that KP does the same thing conflict. Not to mention, Kleber is a stretch 4 but slides over to the 5 for necessity reasons. Powell is really a 4 not a center.

We don't actually have a true center on this roster, outside of Boban, and we don't have a true SF on this roster either. It makes bringing on another guy who is really a stretch 4 a problem.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#26 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:30 am

I seriously doubt they get Gallo. But are the Thunder even shopping him?
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#27 » by arkuo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:15 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:I seriously doubt they get Gallo. But are the Thunder even shopping him?

I doubt it as well.

The Thunder are only 1.5 games behind us in the standings. They keep winning like that and a couple more losses from us and we switch playoff standings. They get 6th place, we get 7th. I doubt they want to help us either.

PS: 7th or 8th spot is a bad spot to be in the west. That's going to be the Lakers or the Clippers. AKA first round exit.
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#28 » by stilldropin20 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:30 am

i think you definately trade for Gallo. Cuban should attempt to get Iggy as well.

Luka, Gallo, and Porzingas can take this team to the finals. add in Iggy and Dallas can win it all.

Thunder will not get more than a low #1 pick for gallo and expirings.

I think this is a good deal for the thunder:

Lee 12M
Powell 10M
#1 pick 2022-2024 top 10 protected. then becomes (2) (2nd) round picks if the #1 doesn't convey by 2024. This pick will likely convey in 2022 around #22-27...a pick the mavs won't "need."

mavs should also trade for Iggy.
maybe the grizzlies would accept delon wright and 2020 #1 (or 2 2nd round picks) for iggy...iggy should be ok with playing with Luka and porzingas. and especially good to play if they can get either covington or gallo first.
like i said, its a full rebuild.

Return to Dallas Mavericks