ImageImageImage

RS 19/20 - Jan. 31 Dallas at Houston

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Re: RS 19/20 - Jan. 31 Dallas at Houston 

Post#21 » by leolozon » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:23 am

I don’t know why KP can’t shoot well when Doncic is on the floor, but shoots well when he isn’t playing.

Is it psychological?
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#22 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:24 am

NY 567 wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
NY 567 wrote:Carslie absolutely has to find a way to get Porzingis involved. His struggles aren't on either KP himself or Doncic, it's on Carslie

Struggles? KP thru 3Qs, 8/14 FGs 26 pts 9 rebs 2 stl 1 blk and he's had at least 2 probably 3 passes that led to wide open looks & should of had the assist if his teammate had knocked down the shot.

What struggles?

I mean his struggles whenever Doncic is playing. He needs to find a way to integrate the two better.

We've been saying on here for weeks now that Doncic... Edit: Everyone on here has been saying how Doncic is taking way too many garbage 3s...

I've been saying he's... really hurting from missing Dirk this season. Dirk would get up his ass about 2/10 3PM & all that bull he likes to pull with 7 28 foot stepback 3s a game. He hits one & thinks it's a great shot.

Doncic isn't finding KP enough, and Carlisle isn't getting on his ass about it either.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#23 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:34 am

Welcome to Big D WCS! Very nice!!
leolozon
General Manager

Post#24 » by leolozon » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:35 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
NY 567 wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Struggles? KP thru 3Qs, 8/14 FGs 26 pts 9 rebs 2 stl 1 blk and he's had at least 2 probably 3 passes that led to wide open looks & should of had the assist if his teammate had knocked down the shot.

What struggles?

I mean his struggles whenever Doncic is playing. He needs to find a way to integrate the two better.

We've been saying on here for weeks now that Doncic... Edit: Everyone on here has been saying how Doncic is taking way too many garbage 3s...

I've been saying he's... really hurting from missing Dirk this season. Dirk would get up his ass about 2/10 3PM & all that bull he likes to pull with 7 28 foot stepback 3s a game. He hits one & thinks it's a great shot.

Doncic isn't finding KP enough, and Carlisle isn't getting on his ass about it either.

KP is getting a lot of looks with Doncic, he’s just not hitting his shots. Whenever he is getting the ball, he’s creating a bad shot for himself.

15FGA in 30min is plenty for a second option.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:35 am

leolozon wrote:I don’t know why KP can’t shoot well when Doncic is on the floor, but shoots well when he isn’t playing.

Is it psychological?

Is this really baffling?
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:36 am

leolozon wrote:KP is getting a lot of looks with Doncic, he’s just not hitting his shots. Whenever he is getting the ball, he’s creating a bad shot for himself.

yeah, disagree
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:41 am

IF we didn't have so many careless TOs this game, we'd be ahead
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#28 » by NY 567 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:46 am

KP plays like a legit superstar whenever Doncic is out
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:51 am

Jalen Brunson just can't be on the floor if you need a stop.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:52 am

Yeah Brunson shouldn't be playing at the end of games.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:55 am

I know that ain't the play Carlisle drew up THJ... Smh.

We didn't deserve this one.
leolozon
General Manager

Post#32 » by leolozon » Sat Feb 1, 2020 3:26 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
leolozon wrote:KP is getting a lot of looks with Doncic, he’s just not hitting his shots. Whenever he is getting the ball, he’s creating a bad shot for himself.

yeah, disagree

How many shots per 36 do you think a 2nd option should take if 18 isn’t enough?

I guess, it’s Doncic’s fault if KP hits 40% of his layups and can’t Get a good shot off most time he gets the ball, shooting atrociously from 2.
leolozon
General Manager

Post#33 » by leolozon » Sat Feb 1, 2020 3:28 am

Kleber has been extremely disappointing since Powell is out. I thought he could replace his production, even maybe get in the starting lineup.
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#34 » by MrOrange » Sat Feb 1, 2020 3:50 am

leolozon wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
NY 567 wrote:I mean his struggles whenever Doncic is playing. He needs to find a way to integrate the two better.

KP is getting a lot of looks with Doncic, he’s just not hitting his shots. Whenever he is getting the ball, he’s creating a bad shot for himself.

You must not have played the real ball then. I may be the greatest shooter in the world but I may be damn cold and off if my role on the team is stretching the floor for even a great player to drive inside.RC must integrate the two players for any future success. Part is psychological, part physical. Agree with Pinkyring on this. Both Luka and KP have huge egos. Integrate them for the purpose of the team or it can get ugly in some 2 years. winning teams do not discriminate guys by defining options. if the "5th option" has an open look, you better pass ir to him
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat Feb 1, 2020 3:58 am

leolozon wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

yeah, disagree

I guess, it’s Doncic’s fault if KP hits 40% of his layups and can’t Get a good shot off most time he gets the ball, shooting atrociously from 2.

Don't even know what you're talking about.

I just disagree that KP is getting a lot of looks... but then you weren't really specific were you? What's a lot?

All I know is every time I look up, Doncic is passing it to DFS in the corner for a 3, or THJ (who is a black hole & the ball doesn't find KP again), or he was force-feeding Powell. Like Powell was option 1, 2, and 3.

When Doncic is out, there is no one to feed Powell like he's a chubby little 3 year old that's eating Mom & Dad out of house & home.

When KP does get a look, it's often times late in the shot clock when he can't do much with it but chuck up a long 3.

Not all shots are created equal. You want to quote FGA stats. You're talking apples & oranges.

And... what do you think is more likely. KP has an actual psychological block... or there's a tangible difference between the quality of shots KP gets when Luka is on & off the floor?

If you're going with option 1, I'd be curious to know where you went to medical school at.
leolozon
General Manager

Post#36 » by leolozon » Sat Feb 1, 2020 5:08 am

MrOrange wrote:
leolozon wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

You must not have played the real ball then. I may be the greatest shooter in the world but I may be damn cold and off if my role on the team is stretching the floor for even a great player to drive inside.RC must integrate the two players for any future success. Part is psychological, part physical. Agree with Pinkyring on this. Both Luka and KP have huge egos. Integrate them for the purpose of the team or it can get ugly in some 2 years. winning teams do not discriminate guys by defining options. if the "5th option" has an open look, you better pass ir to him

Once again, he isn't hitting well whenever his role on offense wasn't to stretch the floor. He has had opportunities and hasn't been efficient whenever he tried to create a shot for himself.

3-6 dribbles 25.5FG% (all 2pters)
2 dribbles 23.5FG% (pretty much all 2pters)
0-1 dribble 44FG% (mostly 3pters)

https://stats.nba.com/player/1629029/shots-dash/

That's not Luka's fault if he has factually been horrible in other situations than catch and shoot or catch and dunk.

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
leolozon wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
yeah, disagree

I just disagree that KP is getting a lot of looks... but then you weren't really specific were you? What's a lot?

All I know is every time I look up, Doncic is passing it to DFS in the corner for a 3, or THJ (who is a black hole & the ball doesn't find KP again), or he was force-feeding Powell. Like Powell was option 1, 2, and 3.

When Doncic is out, there is no one to feed Powell like he's a chubby little 3 year old that's eating Mom & Dad out of house & home.

When KP does get a look, it's often times late in the shot clock when he can't do much with it but chuck up a long 3.

Not all shots are created equal. You want to quote FGA stats. You're talking apples & oranges.

And... what do you think is more likely. KP has an actual psychological block... or there's a tangible difference between the quality of shots KP gets when Luka is on & off the floor?

If you're going with option 1, I'd be curious to know where you went to medical school at.

If you think it's the second option, please show me the shot distribution, because you have clearly proven with this post that your perception isn't reality.

"OFTEN late in the shot clock..."

24-15sec 30.3% of his shots
15-7sec 55% of his shots
7-4sec 7.5% of his shots
4-0sec 7.5% of his shots

And let's not forget that the Mavs are 19th in pace, so they aren't shooting that early in the shot clock most of the time. Why would you even think that KP is shooting late in the shot clock a disproportionate amount of time?

It's a fact that KP hasn't shot well whenever he was given the chance to create something. He was given opportunities, even if you think that it wasn't enough, but didn't do well so far. Which is why it's weird that he has done better with the same type of shots as the 1st option.
leolozon
General Manager

Post#37 » by leolozon » Sat Feb 1, 2020 5:17 am

MrOrange wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
….

….

Never mind, he wasn't as efficient as I remembered in the past 5 games when Luka was missing.

He was at .536TS% for those 5 games which is really really bad for a first option, but still better than his efficiency for the year.

So, it's maybe just a question of sample size as the difference wasn't that big. Let's see how the next few games go.
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#38 » by MrOrange » Sat Feb 1, 2020 5:31 am

leolozon wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
leolozon wrote:

Once again, he isn't hitting well whenever his role on offense wasn't to stretch the floor. He has had opportunities and hasn't been efficient whenever he tried to create a shot for himself.

3-6 dribbles 25.5FG% (all 2pters)
2 dribbles 23.5FG% (pretty much all 2pters)

He is not efficient. I am not even trying to defend him. If he hit 30 per cent of the open looks, he would have an allstar stats. And Mavs would have won some 5-8 games more. But, for Mavs to succeed in long term they need to integrate both KP and LD on offence. Overall, currently tjis is not a good look
0-1 dribble 44FG% (mostly 3pters)

https://stats.nba.com/player/1629029/shots-dash/

That's not Luka's fault if he has factually been horrible in other situations than catch and shoot or catch and dunk.

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
leolozon wrote:

If you think it's the second option, please show me the shot distribution, because you have clearly proven with this post that your perception isn't reality.

"OFTEN late in the shot clock..."

24-15sec 30.3% of his shots
15-7sec 55% of his shots
7-4sec 7.5% of his shots
4-0sec 7.5% of his shots

And let's not forget that the Mavs are 19th in pace, so they aren't shooting that early in the shot clock most of the time. Why would you even think that KP is shooting late in the shot clock a disproportionate amount of time?

It's a fact that KP hasn't shot well whenever he was given the chance to create something. He was given opportunities, even if you think that it wasn't enough, but didn't do well so far. Which is why it's weird that he has done better with the same type of shots as the 1st option.
OpiumDose
Sophomore
And1: 232

Post#39 » by OpiumDose » Sat Feb 1, 2020 6:56 am

KP looks like an all-star without Doncic. With Doncic he is relegated to spacing the floor and being a spot-up shooter - clearly misused and underused. Something has to change. I imagine KP is not too happy with his role when Luka plays (no matter what he says publicly) because he knows he can provide so much more. I mean, come on, he is on max contract - there's no way it should be acceptable to use him as a role-player on the offense. "But Mavs have the best offense in the league" - yes, the have, but who says it couldn't be even better if they figured out how to get most out of KP too? This current usage of KP on the offense is not going to work out in the long run. I'm sure of that.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,567

Post#40 » by Bob8 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 7:17 am

OpiumDose wrote:KP looks like an all-star without Doncic. With Doncic he is relegated to spacing the floor and being a spot-up shooter - clearly misused and underused. Something has to change. I imagine KP is not too happy with his role when Luka plays (no matter what he says publicly) because he knows he can provide so much more. I mean, come on, he is on max contract - there's no way it should be acceptable to use him as a role-player on the offense. "But Mavs have the best offense in the league" - yes, the have, but who says it couldn't be even better if they figured out how to get most out of KP too? This current usage of KP on the offense is not going to work out in the long run. I'm sure of that.

Isn't 1 good game a bit premature for some big conclusions like that? Kp looks good, like everyone, when his shots are falling. The problem is that in vast majority of games his shots are not falling. His efficiency is incredibly bad. He's getting so many shots just because of his name, he's not deserving them. He has nice opportunity with this fairly easy schedule of 8 games to show, if he really is a star like Luka. I'm not very optimistic.

Return to Dallas Mavericks