ImageImageImage

Re: RS 19/20 - Feb. 1 Dallas v Atlanta 8:30PM

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: Re: RS 19/20 - Feb. 1 Dallas v Atlanta 8:30PM 

Post#21 » by arkuo » Sun Feb 2, 2020 12:12 pm

That low IQ on Defense and doesnt give max out on plays is what Drummond is but WCS is paid the minimum and Drummond is signed to the max. I'll take the lower risk and say I'd go for WCS for the time being.

Oh and I can see why Donnie didnt include Brunson on any offers for Covington. Gerson Rosas has been salivating for that kid.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#22 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Feb 2, 2020 1:13 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:Why are these start times always listed in EDT, when most of us live in Dallas in CDT?

Most of us live in Europe in fact :D

Fair enough. That doesn't really explain why the times are listed in Eastern time zone either. Because Europe isn't in the Eastern time zone.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#23 » by arkuo » Sun Feb 2, 2020 2:21 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:Why are these start times always listed in EDT, when most of us live in Dallas in CDT?

Most of us live in Europe in fact :D

Fair enough. That doesn't really explain why the times are listed in Eastern time zone either. Because Europe isn't in the Eastern time zone.

Maybe they follow a uniformed time zone as the NBA Head Office is in New York perhaps?
aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#24 » by aggerrard » Sun Feb 2, 2020 2:48 pm

Great W. Couldn't watch the game - more Mavs being good or Hawks being bad?
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,055

Post#25 » by Dirk » Sun Feb 2, 2020 2:49 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:Nice first half.

It was a really really great half.

I still feared they would come up short though. Easy to dismiss Atlanta (especially after the fact), but they've played better and beat one or two good teams along the way --- they beat the Spurs, Clippers and Sixers over recent times.They also can get hot (made shocking comeback in SA), so you figure they might make a run and then the Mavs struggle. Their last game against the Sixers (with Simmons/Embiid) featured them looking extremely athletic and hitting everything, so it was kind of shocking that they had no reaction in this one.

Recapping the start:

Mavs were beaten by the Suns by 30 [just about the worst effort of the season, with KP/Luka playing]. I was really depressed over that game. Then Luka is out. Full depression. They played a game in Houston that I did not enjoy (just terrible D and was not a fan of the gimmicky lineup).

Next night. No KP. Fall into a deep hole it felt (0-7 start), with the other team hitting 3s and dunks (fall to 15-5). Totally new lineup out there, so you'd understand if there were broken plays and inconsistent play. What happens? They don't change their demeanour and just play composed basketball throughout and progressively carve out a lead.

In that second quarter Brunson decided to have a shooting drill. Mavs play great team D. DFS was ridiculously good handling the ball. They produced enjoyable basketball for about 38 minutes.

This game vs Atlanta was probably one of the most enjoyable game of the season given the circumstances. We barely hit the second page. Yikes. :lol: You and others who posted are the true heroes.

By the way, in general, just checking the "Mavsphere" (twitter, reddit and stuff) I love the semi dismissive way the Mavs are treated, It's not that the Mavs played well... it's that the other team is awful. It's both hilarious and deflating --- is there any point arguing with people who so clearly resent their own team winning because it goes against their "own narratives"? When they won a month back, it was luck or whatever. No one expects them to win as much as they have, but still find ways to dismiss it. The same "Mavsphere" had no issue writing dumb stuff about Brunson (particularly following the Toronto game where he stopped his dribble in the final play, this guy in particular has basically been slandered by delusional people). Has no issue being condescending towards DFS and treating him like a scrub when he misses some shots.

I.e, tweet about the "Luka injury", some clown immediately wrote
Read on Twitter

The biggest paradox is that the Mavs have been god awful finishing close games. But lord and behold... Brunson held the dribble up. Or missed a 3. Or something. Guys like Powell, Brunson, DFS can play well, solid 90% of the time. As soon as they have a bad play or two or three... you will immediately see people like that guy. The post Toronto game was comically bad. They have been blessed by Luka and a team of selfless guys, but they don't really get it. And based on the lengths they go to dismiss their own players, they don't actually deserve it.

Seeing some of these guys grow is just great for the future [worth noting --- I've always appreciated how KP is always on the bench cheering everyone, even last year when he didn't play at all, his whole body language always looked good to me with the Mavs].

When we look at the roster individually, it's easy to dismiss them, but collectively, they have played well very consistently and still continue to shock. THJ who was the most likely to "go off", only took 12 shots. Only made 1 three. No problem, you have DFS turning into an all star and Brunson taking the other team to school. And you have other guys also playing like they aren't pressured at all. It was quite awesome to see. The performance of last night would have won a lot of games that we lost this season. Obviously, each game has its own story, so can't extrapolate that way. It's fascinating on in the same week you look completely out of sync (Suns) and then on a b2b you look well oiled.

I mostly liked that Carlisle went with the WCS/Maxi pairing as opposed to say WCS alone or Maxi alone. I'd like to see KP playing next to one of them next (even if that again takes KP away from the basket, although with Maxi, he can still be featured more inside). When KP was out recently, I wasn't a big fan of having Powell alone as the big man. Maxi needs to be thrown to the wolves more, look at him as a guy you switch on perimeter players. There are certain players that DFS can't really hold up against and Maxi is likely in better position to disrupt things.

Very encouraging game, I'd be happy if they won another 2 before the asb. 3 would be good. Over 3 would be excellent. And it never stops being funny how you go from depression (Suns) to feeling pretty good (Hawks), to the point where you'll tolerate being blown out in Indiana or something. :lol:
60/21/10
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,827

Post#26 » by dirkforpres » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:05 pm

aggerrard wrote:Great W. Couldn't watch the game - more Mavs being good or Hawks being bad?

A bit of both. Mavs were lights out from 3 and played some stellar defense. Hawks are just not a good team and Trae was way off all night before exiting
FIRE JASON KIDD
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,055

Re: RS 19/20 - Feb. 1 Dallas v Atlanta 8:30PM 

Post#27 » by Dirk » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:33 pm

Team D
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

WCS in this play... And then Brunson as well...

Team hustling

WCS....

It's over for the NBA. #1

It's over for the NBA. #2

Spoiler:
Patented finish

Simple stuff
60/21/10
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#28 » by BlueSan » Sun Feb 2, 2020 6:09 pm

Dirk thanks a bunch for the clips they are a joy to watch and joy was this morning checking the result and be surprised. I also expected Trae walking all over Dallas and them losing the game. Luckily that was not the case and a lot of the guys showed up.

I was super happy about this! Super happy :)
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#29 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Feb 2, 2020 11:08 pm

arkuo wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:Most of us live in Europe in fact :D

Maybe they follow a uniformed time zone as the NBA Head Office is in New York perhaps?

I'm talking about the thread title. Dirk starts the thread. I don't get why he's putting all the start times in Eastern Time Zone.

Not a big deal or anything. Just trying to figure it out. I actually missed the first half of a Mavs game a few weeks ago because I thought the time in the thread title was Central time.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#30 » by ozwizard8 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 4:51 am

arkuo wrote:That low IQ on Defense and doesnt give max out on plays is what Drummond is but WCS is paid the minimum and Drummond is signed to the max. I'll take the lower risk and say I'd go for WCS for the time being.

Oh and I can see why Donnie didnt include Brunson on any offers for Covington. Gerson Rosas has been salivating for that kid.

I'd take WCS over Drummond for sure. Even without the contracts, I'd like to have WCS on defense. He's much more mobile and he's a good rim protector. Rebounding wise he'd do his part of the job. After all its a team effort. You cannot expect a player to get a rebound while challenging a shot. Drummond's low-post isnt effective so I dont mind having WCS on offense either.
I dont know you guys but whenever I watch highlight clips like top 10 of the week, I always saw Drummond crossed over and dunked on.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#31 » by Apz » Wed Feb 5, 2020 12:21 am

Prefer Eastern times. Its easy to follow if all times are the same. Like me, its 6h time difference to NY. if it would be all local times it would be hell to follow, especially when most outside US have no idea what team is in which timezone

Return to Dallas Mavericks