ImageImageImage

MKG or RHJ, Who Would You Rather Have?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Who would you rather have out of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (MKG) or Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (RHJ)?

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (MKG)
83%
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (RHJ)
17%

Total votes: 6

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

MKG or RHJ, Who Would You Rather Have? 

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Feb 3, 2020 11:51 am

Who would you rather have out of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (MKG) or Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (RHJ), and why?
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Re: MKG or RHJ, Who Would You Rather Have? 

Post#2 » by Apz » Mon Feb 3, 2020 9:41 pm

Should be 3rd option, none of them. Personally Im just not intrested if they cant shoot
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#3 » by stilldropin20 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:35 am

none. pass. iggy or bust. after iggy...covington. the gallo.

good (yet older) players on aging, going nowhere teams will easily be moved this year. dallas should be buyers because they have the best young player in the league that is ready to win right now. This is the easiest way to build...around 2 young studs. it does not get easier. its like building around a young lebron. you just do it! you keep adding pieces by any and all means possible year in and year out.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:47 am

Apz wrote:Should be 3rd option, none of them. Personally Im just not intrested if they cant shoot

Would you take a guy who can shoot but can't play defense?
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#5 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Feb 4, 2020 7:33 pm

Why would you trade RHJ if you're Toronto?
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Feb 5, 2020 1:36 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:Why would you trade RHJ if you're Toronto?

That's what I was wondering.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Feb 5, 2020 1:38 pm

Apz wrote:Should be 3rd option, none of them. Personally Im just not intrested if they cant shoot

Also, MKG might benefit from the floor spacing in Carlisle's system and from playing next to guys like Luka, KP, Seth Curry, THJ, etc..

But MKG would really just be playing the Shawn Marion role, but in today's NBA, that's a bench role, because as you said, MKG can't really shoot that well. I'll take that for sure though.

And to MKG's credit, he shoots 40% from the corner, is good in transition, hustles back on D, gets deflections, contests shots, and will also grab some offensive boards for 2nd chances and whatnot. He's got some decent vision when it comes to passing too, but that's more a byproduct of him hesitating to shoot since we all know he's not a good shooter, lol.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#8 » by Apz » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:09 pm

The floor spacing is for Luka and so on, and happens because all can shoot. Add a guy that cant shoot and we dont have that floor spacing anymore
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:36 am

Apz wrote:The floor spacing is for Luka and so on, and happens because all can shoot. Add a guy that cant shoot and we dont have that floor spacing anymore

Kind of. I mean, Dwight Powell's shot was inconsistent, but he would still take them if he was open. I'd like a guy such as Zach Lavine or Bradley Beal, but that's probably not happening.

MKG is a below-average shooter, and people will bait him into shooting by leaving him open,but I still think that he improves with Carlisle and Luka.
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#11 » by Bluelabel24 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:05 pm

Apz wrote:The floor spacing is for Luka and so on, and happens because all can shoot. Add a guy that cant shoot and we dont have that floor spacing anymore

really not a fan of that guy but looks like its still possible for him to improve his shot. He is physically gifted almost same body type as kawhi, long arms and build.
watch the whole video guys.. the latter part of the video doesnt look that bad imo..
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#12 » by arkuo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:14 pm

We're not signing MKG for his shooting. We are getting him possibly for the league minimum to simply place defense. Because Donnie had the genius idea of signing a bunch of guys to 2-3 year deals who can't play D. Outside of DFS, Dallas basically has no one else who can defend Lebron, Kawhi or Paul George. You wanna go far in the West, you gotta be able to defend these guys.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#13 » by Darren » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:50 pm

arkuo wrote:We're not signing MKG for his shooting. We are getting him possibly for the league minimum to simply place defense. Because Donnie had the genius idea of signing a bunch of guys to 2-3 year deals who can't play D. Outside of DFS, Dallas basically has no one else who can defend Lebron, Kawhi or Paul George. You wanna go far in the West, you gotta be able to defend these guys.

Pretty much so. I still think we need an upgrade over Wright who can't guard pick-n-roll and drivers with very quick first step. MKG has 116 Defensive rate in 100 toss which is even higher than DFS who's 113. While the offense is ugly, MKG is not all that bad with the career average. I think it is a low risk move the Mavs could take a look at.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:13 am

As for MKG, I like his defensive versatility, which is something the team needs in certain situations, especially when DFS and Kleber need breaks. Obviously, Delon is at least a halfway decent defender too, and sure, KP is a good rim protector. WCS can be as well, but I've noticed that when he's playing more than 5-8 feet out, he can be lazy with the shot defense. But MKG can defend bigger guys that run the point/fast break, and he can also play some post D too. In terms of defensive ability, he's a true combo forward (can't really say that about his offense though).

MKG shoots like 40% from the 3P corner I think, and while 28-29% from 3 isn't good, you gotta think it gets better once he plays with Luka and under Carlisle. But that's not going to be his game. His primary uses are going to be defense, getting offensive rebounds, playing hard in transition, setting screens, periodically rolling to the rim, and getting garbage buckets. That's kind of like what Shawn Marion did for the Mavs a decade ago.

Additionally, MKG's got underrated vision when going downhill (someone mentioned this already), but that's probably more a product of him hesitating to shoot and put up a shot than anything else. He can actually handle the ball a little, which is an underrated aspect of how the Mavs play. Typically, they like it when a player can put the ball on the ground. In college MKG could finish well at the rim and had a decent floater, and I've seen glimpses of that in the pros, but again, that probably falls under the umbrella of "garbage buckets," in this modern era. We've seen him hit open shots too, but we all also know how completely broken his shooting form is. However, the Mavs organization, Carlisle, and co. are actually well-known for helping people improve their shooting forms. Look at what they did with DeAndre Jordan at the free throw line last season.

However, I think MKG will come off the bench and be the lead, non-Center defender for some of the reserve units. The team could really use a 3D guy, but they struck out on them this trade season, so the next best thing to do is to get a defensive minded combo forward who MIGHT improve his 3P and shooting efficiency now that he's in Dallas playing with Luka & under Carlisle.

Solid get, but I'm not expecting anything major. Depth pick up that will play in some games for sure, and will probably prove to be somewhat useful when the Mavs go up against true contenders.

Return to Dallas Mavericks