Hardaway extension?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,827

Hardaway extension? 

Post#1 » by dirkforpres » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:10 pm

Read on Twitter

This effectively would kill all hope of chasing Giannis or any other marquee free agent for the next few years. I don’t see the point in even considering this yet, but no one asks me
    FIRE JASON KIDD
    fuller4379
    Assistant Coach
    And1: 1,486

Re: Hardaway extension? 

Post#2 » by fuller4379 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:39 am

I can see him opting out after this season. He is having the best shooting season of his career. I don’t think this free agency class will have shooters; therefore, it will force the Mavs’ hand to resign him.
    HairyGOATee
    Sixth Man
    And1: 424

Post#3 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:13 am

fuller4379 wrote:I can see him opting out after this season. He is having the best shooting season of his career. I don’t think this free agency class will have shooters; therefore, it will force the Mavs’ hand to resign him.

Even if he opts out, they would still have his bird rights, correct? Like there would be a cap hold for him?
    jpengland
    Head Coach
    And1: 6,564

Post#4 » by jpengland » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:33 am

Depends what he's after. Carlisle has got him playing well but he's still got a huge regression risk.

If it's 3/45 then I'd be tempted. Gives him guaranteed money and he remains movable.
    HMFFL
    Global Mod
    Global Mod
    And1: 8,008

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:40 am

jpengland wrote:Depends what he's after. Carlisle has got him playing well but he's still got a huge regression risk.

If it's 3/45 then I'd be tempted. Gives him guaranteed money and he remains movable.
    Current Contract:
    2019-20: $18,150,000
    2020-21: $18,975,000 {Player Option}

So, 4yrs, 45m won't be acceptable. I personally don't believe he accepts that offer at his current age of 27yrs old.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
    fuller4379
    Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by fuller4379 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:25 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
    fuller4379 wrote:I can see him opting out after this season. He is having the best shooting season of his career. I don’t think this free agency class will have shooters; therefore, it will force the Mavs’ hand to resign him.

Even if he opts out, they would still have his bird rights, correct? Like there would be a cap hold for him?

Correct. They have his Bird Rights. They could resign him even if they are over the cap.
    arkuo
    General Manager
    And1: 1,917

Post#7 » by arkuo » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:36 pm

It all boils down to how much. If he is willing to go back to 3/45, then that's a good deal both ways. Maybe a 4th year PO. But if he is waiting to get paid $20M a year, I'd say there are better options for $20M per.
    Michaellam1987
    Rookie
    And1: 357

Post#8 » by Michaellam1987 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:32 pm

He is around the same level of players like J.Lamb, T.Ross, N. Powell, therefore, I agree the most we can agree is 13-15m per year
    Mr B
    RealGM
    And1: 4,018

Post#9 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:35 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
      Read on Twitter

This effectively would kill all hope of chasing Giannis or any other marquee free agent for the next few years. I don’t see the point in even considering this yet, but no one asks me

From my understanding they will still have the cap space to offer a max contract in 2021 even if they resign THJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      dirkules_41
      Lead Assistant
      And1: 1,858

Post#10 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:53 pm

Yes please. He's been absolutely balling this season. Just saw last night he actually leads the league in 3P % since Jan 1st.
      fuller4379
      Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by fuller4379 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:37 pm

Mr B wrote:
      dirkforpres wrote:
        Read on Twitter

From my understanding they will still have the cap space to offer a max contract in 2021 even if they resign THJ.

We are at $84 million right now. Assuming the cap is $125 million, then we would have around $20 million leftover if THJ chooses to opt out and we sign him to around $20 million per year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/dallas-mavericks/cap/2021/
        Lowtech801
        Senior
        And1: 177

Post#12 » by Lowtech801 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:10 pm

arkuo wrote:It all boils down to how much. If he is willing to go back to 3/45, then that's a good deal both ways. Maybe a 4th year PO. But if he is waiting to get paid $20M a year, I'd say there are better options for $20M per.
        +1
        Lowtech801
        Senior
        And1: 177

Post#13 » by Lowtech801 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:13 pm

fuller4379 wrote:
        HairyGOATee wrote:

Correct. They have his Bird Rights. They could resign him even if they are over the cap.
        Yeah but there is still a cap hold and his will probably be in the 20m range. The only way to be able to offer a max would be to renounce and then we would no longer be able to go over the cap to re-sign him.
        fuller4379
        Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by fuller4379 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:31 pm

Lowtech801 wrote:
        fuller4379 wrote:
        HairyGOATee wrote:

Yeah but there is still a cap hold and his will probably be in the 20m range. The only way to be able to offer a max would be to renounce and then we would no longer be able to go over the cap to re-sign him.

Right. They either resign THJ or use that $20 million cap space to sign someone else. They can’t have both. If he opts in; then the Mavs have basically no cap space. If he opts out; then the Mavs either sign him or renounce his rights. If the renounce his rights, then, they will have a little over $20 million to sign someone less the cap hold for their first round pick.
        ejs78
        Assistant Coach
        And1: 1,091

Post#15 » by ejs78 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:30 am

Its a legit story, but I can't take Dalton Trigg seriously.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
        HairyGOATee
        Sixth Man
        And1: 424

Post#16 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:41 am

fuller4379 wrote:
        Lowtech801 wrote:
        fuller4379 wrote:

Right. They either resign THJ or use that $20 million cap space to sign someone else. They can’t have both. If he opts in; then the Mavs have basically no cap space. If he opts out; then the Mavs either sign him or renounce his rights. If the renounce his rights, then, they will have a little over $20 million to sign someone less the cap hold for their first round pick.

Just keep him and try to trade for someone next season.
        Mr B
        RealGM
        And1: 4,018

Post#17 » by Mr B » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:30 am

fuller4379 wrote:
        Mr B wrote:
        dirkforpres wrote:
          Read on Twitter

We are at $84 million right now. Assuming the cap is $125 million, then we would have around $20 million leftover if THJ chooses to opt out and we sign him to around $20 million per year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/dallas-mavericks/cap/2021/

You’re assuming the cap for this year. You need to rethink your numbers for the year 2021 not 2020. They have spent the last couple of years preparing to make a run at Giannis or Gobert. I find it hard to believe that they would give up on that plan when they are 1 year away from 2021. They have done a great job of turning this team around and they obviously have a plan. If they resign THJ then I expect their plan for 2021 free agency is still on track.

Michaellam1987
          Rookie
          And1: 357

Post#18 » by Michaellam1987 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:58 am

When we think of THJ's extension, I think the Mavs have to consider the reasonableness, any overpayment to him (e.g. 20m per year) will bring a huge problem back to Mavs, and yes, currently we sit at around 84m for 2021/2022 season, and assume the cap is set at around 120m, we have 36m cap space remaining to chase the big time FA, however, if we have chance to secure THJ's service under reasonable contracts, (e.g. 3 years 40m), we have to do it, even deducting that 13m from the 36m cap space, we still have a lot of options, to offer max contract to big time FA, the case is just similar to how MIA signed Butler or GSW signed Russell, the key point is to attract the big time FA to join us, once that part is done, our front office will handle the rest. I believe it is not that difficult to find teams to absorb the contracts like DFS (4m expiring), Wright (8m expiring), Maxi (9m + 9m team option next year)
          Paija
          Junior
          And1: 305

Post#19 » by Paija » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:28 am

It is pretty similar to Bertans in DC. Many teams wanted to trade for him, but their GM (or someone els from FO) said something like - "there is huge demand for such a player, many teams like him, well, we like him too and happen to have him", because he is offball shooter who compliments Beal (and eventually Wall). Poor Spurs, they could really use him this year :)

So if THJ likes to play for Mavs, Mavs should keep him (even with a little overpay), because you KNOW how he complements Luka and KP. All other possible FA for this role - are they so much better? Is it possible to get such a production for lower cost?
          leolozon
          General Manager
          And1: 7,755

Post#20 » by leolozon » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:03 pm

Some people must not have looked at contracts recently if they think that THJ is only worth 13-15m. He’s a legit starter this year and is an incredible catch and shoot guy from 3, something that every team needs.

He is making 20m this year and he’s more useful now than when he got that money + the market has gone up. It’s going to be near 20m unless he takes a discount.

Return to Dallas Mavericks