RS 19/20 - Dallas at Chicago 8:00 PM

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: RS 19/20 - Dallas at Chicago 8:00 PM 

Post#61 » by arkuo » Tue Mar 3, 2020 11:29 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
aggerrard wrote:Maybe stop resting players all the damn time and get some wins instead?

Wed vs New Orleans
Fri vs Memphis
4/3 @ Memphis

Mavs go 0-3 here & it opens the door to missing the playoffs. Losses 3/17 @ SAC and 3/19 @ POR wouldn't help either.

Very unlikely scenario, but it's time to get some Wins. The time for pussy footing & Mickey Mousing around has come & gone.

I'd be okay finishing 7 or 8 to be honest. Everyone knows we wont be doing anything in the playoffs this year anyway. Just getting some experience and not actually competing for a championship. Getting to that 7 or 8 slot gives us a better pick in the draft than finishing 4 or 5. Im sure others will have a different view. But as it is, the two LA teams own the west this year, and Wonder Boy has to wait his turn and actually shoot better 3s and sink his free throws before he gets to be considered one of the NBA greats.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#62 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:31 pm

arkuo wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
aggerrard wrote:Maybe stop resting players all the damn time and get some wins instead?

Wed vs New Orleans
Fri vs Memphis
4/3 @ Memphis

Mavs go 0-3 here & it opens the door to missing the playoffs. Losses 3/17 @ SAC and 3/19 @ POR wouldn't help either.

Very unlikely scenario, but it's time to get some Wins. The time for pussy footing & Mickey Mousing around has come & gone.

I'd be okay finishing 7 or 8 to be honest. Everyone knows we wont be doing anything in the playoffs this year anyway. Just getting some experience and not actually competing for a championship. Getting to that 7 or 8 slot gives us a better pick in the draft than finishing 4 or 5. Im sure others will have a different view. But as it is, the two LA teams own the west this year, and Wonder Boy has to wait his turn and actually shoot better 3s and sink his free throws before he gets to be considered one of the NBA greats.

I'm a little torn on that actually... On the one hand, getting thumped 4-0 & swept right out of the playoffs in the 1st round sends a LOUD & clear message to folks like Mark Cuban and Rick Carlisle and the FO and Luka and KP about where this team is really at. Plus, like you said the higher draft pick is nice too.

On the other hand, we could legitimately beat HOU in the first round, even if they had homecourt, and it's a confidence boost to actually make the playoffs and make a little noise.

I guess in that sense. I'm okay with either. But, I would still prefer 5th seed & knock off HOU in the 1st round. Who knows, if you get a little confidence, put some things together, you're riding high in the 2nd round & maybe your opponent has an injury... maybe you slide into the WCF too. I'm not just ready to write off the season, yet. Even though, the way the Mavs have played for the past 2 months suggests they are.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#63 » by arkuo » Tue Mar 3, 2020 2:01 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
arkuo wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Wed vs New Orleans
Fri vs Memphis
4/3 @ Memphis

I'm a little torn on that actually... On the one hand, getting thumped 4-0 & swept right out of the playoffs in the 1st round sends a LOUD & clear message to folks like Mark Cuban and Rick Carlisle and the FO and Luka and KP about where this team is really at. Plus, like you said the higher draft pick is nice too.

On the other hand, we could legitimately beat HOU in the first round, even if they had homecourt, and it's a confidence boost to actually make the playoffs and make a little noise.

I guess in that sense. I'm okay with either. But, I would still prefer 5th seed & knock off HOU in the 1st round. Who knows, if you get a little confidence, put some things together, you're riding high in the 2nd round & maybe your opponent has an injury... maybe you slide into the WCF too. I'm not just ready to write off the season, yet. Even though, the way the Mavs have played for the past 2 months suggests they are.

There is a time and place for everything and I think competing for a championship isnt there yet, At least for this year. Although I like the idea of sending Houston home and ending Mike D'Antoni's career there. I understand they did not give him a contract extension. And to take your idea a bit further, I'd like to pitch that idea to Giannis. Come to Dallas, face James Harden 4 times a year, and show him who's who. Harden and Giannis have a spat lately and they've been going back and fourth on it.

If there was ever a pitch to Giannis, it would say that we need him to be a big part to win here. And that him coming here would not just be a cherry on top but he would actually have to help KP and Luka carry this thing all the way to the line. Him coming over when the team is a finished product would just be like KD joining a 70 win team. And Giannis is a fighter, not like KD. Wouldn't hurt to dream eh? After that loss to Chicago, this team sure needs a Giannis (alpha).
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#64 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Mar 3, 2020 2:18 pm

arkuo wrote:There is a time and place for everything and I think competing for a championship isnt there yet, At least for this year. Although I like the idea of sending Houston home and ending Mike D'Antoni's career there. I understand they did not give him a contract extension. And to take your idea a bit further, I'd like to pitch that idea to Giannis. Come to Dallas, face James Harden 4 times a year, and show him who's who. Harden and Giannis have a spat lately and they've been going back and fourth on it.

If there was ever a pitch to Giannis, it would say that we need him to be a big part to win here. And that him coming here would not just be a cherry on top but he would actually have to help KP and Luka carry this thing all the way to the line. Him coming over when the team is a finished product would just be like KD joining a 70 win team. And Giannis is a fighter, not like KD. Wouldn't hurt to dream eh? After that loss to Chicago, this team sure needs a Giannis (alpha).

Everything you're saying about Giannis makes sense, BUT ya know Kobe tried to recruit Dirk to LA before the Lakers went & got Pau Gasol. It made sense for Dirk to go to LA. Kobe legit needed him & Dallas didn't look like a place you could win a title at. That's the pitch, "Hey are you serious about contending for a title? Then why are you in Dallas?" That was a legit argument at the time.

Dirk never paid it a second thought.

Giannis is cut from the same cloth. He ain't going anywhere & chasing after him is like chasing after a UFO. You're just gonna waste your time. I think the Mavs, if the rumors are true, are smart to go after a guy like Rudy Gobert in 2021. Focus on the best player who is available. That's smart. Filling your head full of fantasies is dumb imo. Not saying you're dumb. Just saying if folks can't see the type of person Giannis is, then you're just not looking. He showed you at his MVP speech. He shows you every time he takes the court, speaks in post game interviews. The guy is pure class, pure character & he's not going to abandon the organization who took a chance on him & has done everything they can to demonstrate their loyalty to him. He's not going to turn his back on them. That's not who he is. Bottom line.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#65 » by arkuo » Tue Mar 3, 2020 2:26 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
arkuo wrote:There is a time and place for everything and I think competing for a championship isnt there yet, At least for this year. Although I like the idea of sending Houston home and ending Mike D'Antoni's career there. I understand they did not give him a contract extension. And to take your idea a bit further, I'd like to pitch that idea to Giannis. Come to Dallas, face James Harden 4 times a year, and show him who's who. Harden and Giannis have a spat lately and they've been going back and fourth on it.

Everything you're saying about Giannis makes sense, BUT ya know Kobe tried to recruit Dirk to LA before the Lakers went & got Pau Gasol. It made sense for Dirk to go to LA. Kobe legit needed him & Dallas didn't look like a place you could win a title at. That's the pitch, "Hey are you serious about contending for a title? Then why are you in Dallas?" That was a legit argument at the time.

Dirk never paid it a second thought.

Giannis is cut from the same cloth. He ain't going anywhere & chasing after him is like chasing after a UFO. You're just gonna waste your time. I think the Mavs, if the rumors are true, are smart to go after a guy like Rudy Gobert in 2021. Focus on the best player who is available. That's smart. Filling your head full of fantasies is dumb imo. Not saying you're dumb. Just saying if folks can't see the type of person Giannis is, then you're just not looking. He showed you at his MVP speech. He shows you every time he takes the court, speaks in post game interviews. The guy is pure class, pure character & he's not going to abandon the organization who took a chance on him & has done everything they can to demonstrate their loyalty to him. He's not going to turn his back on them. That's not who he is. Bottom line.

Agreed on Giannis. But Im a bit iffy about Gobert. KP said it himself that he is more comfortable at center now. If Cuban is ready to spend in 2021, then I think he needs to outbid Indiana for Oldadipo. The playoffs are won with superstar wing players and I think he can get back to being one. He is rusty this year because of the injury. Then we can get him for pennies on the dollar. Offer him a max like we did with KP even before KP could even step on the court post-ACL. Oldadipo is All-NBA defense and should be able to run through screens while Luka plays point.

Either that or we leverage our way to Washington and have them send us Bradley Beal for whatever package we have. They can have 3 1st rounders plus Brunson, Wright and THJ. That's similar to what OKC got for Paul George.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#66 » by fuller4379 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 4:14 pm

Losing to Chicago is tough, but It is one game out of 82.

This team is way ahead of where anyone thought it would be this year. KP has regained Unicorn status and Luka is progressing quicker than anyone thought he would. THJ has gone from being a negative asset forced on us to get KP to a key contributor. Seth Curry is having the best season of his career.

The Mavs have a problem with depth and injuries. Powell and Brunson out. Luka has a couple nagging injuries. KP's body can't go two nights in a row.

I think the Mavs should be able to do a better job picking up veteran backups now that KP and Luka have established themselves as elite level players.

If we end out at 6 or 7, it isn't going to matter much. The Mavs are going to be one and done this year. If the Mavs take LA, Denver, or Houston to 6, it is a successful season.

What makes people here think that Denver is that much different from the Clippers? Nikola Jokic is going to have his way with Dallas in the playoffs. We have no one to match up with him.

Rick needs to do a better job of managing Luka's role in the regular season. Luka is out there trying to do everything. He was amazing in the early part of the season but is worn down now.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#67 » by Michaellam1987 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 4:52 pm

Another disappointing while embarrassing losses to short handed Bulls. Sometimes, I really can't understand the concept of load management, why need to let Seth and KP take day off? This will only increase the burden of other starters, because we are NOT yet arriving to the stage that we can comfortably beat lottery team without our full team. Yes, Seth and KP is refreshed, but THJ/Luka/DFS is more tired and may have higher chance to suffer from injury, so what is the point? I would rather play the full team unless any of players are injured and can't play (e.g. Brunson and Powell). Just manage the rotation and minutes better can help to solve the problems. If Rick really want load management, then just let ALL of our key guys to take rest in appropriate game, e.g. the game vs DEN at home (2nd night of back to back after game @ SAS), and game @ LAC (1st game of back to back with game @SAC in 2nd night). Bad load management scheme has costed us 3 very winnable games already (1 with ATL, 1 with CHI, 1 with WAS).

We better mix and match of our starters and our bench. Our bench is playing extremely bad recently, so never let them play together for even 1 minute. Make sure we have either one of KP/Luka on court for the whole 48 minutes, or to the lessor extent, at least with one of them in the whole 2nd half of the game. When we play Luka, play more Maxi and THJ with him, when we play KP, play more Curry and Wright with him, DFS has to play heavy minutes no matter in either situation, given that he is irreplaceable with the constant poor play of Jackson and MKG. This is to ensure we have balanced ball handling, shooting and defense.

Play WCS and or Boban more whenever possible, this can help save some more energy from KP/DFS/Maxi, and keep them fresher in potential late tight game situation. If Barea's shot or drive is not falling, while he also cant buy any offensive charges from referee, just don't play him, let Wright takes all of his minutes. Rick has to encourage Wright to take all open 3 pts shot, and drive hard to draw fouls. Wright is too passive offensively recently and this has been killing us recently with Brunson's absence.

Given Luka's conditioning is bad recently, Tell Luka to reallocate his energy wisely, don't waste energy to fight for rebound, just focus on the drive and share the ball to open shooters. Try for 1-2 step back 3s, and if they are not falling, stop taking any more of them. Never spend time to pray for call from the referee, just go back to play defense immediately to avoid fast break opportunities (we are one of the worst in allowing fast break points, and I strongly think that is related to Luka). Let Curry/THJ/Wright to initiate the offense and try to catch and shoot some open 3s to get the shooting feel back first, especially when he is tired and suffering from tons of turnovers etc. This is actually very important, let's don't forget Luka will always have the strongest defender from opposite team everytime when he is on the court, that mean THJ/Curry is facing lessor defender, I would rather have them leading the offensive, they are actually on fire offensively, why having them standing on the 3pt line and wait for Luka's pass?

For Lee/MKG/Jackson, Rick need to make up his mind asap who to play the majority of the back up 3/4 minutes, it is difficult to build momentum while their playing game vary too much night in and night out.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,036

Post#68 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 3, 2020 6:44 pm

Pinkyring wrote:Sucks to lose but we reslly need to manage expectations here, mostly nobody even thought this was a playoff team to start the season, we are basically playing with house money. Having a. Chance to win nightly is better than the last 3 years so I'll take it.

Exactly! I know expectations have increased since the beginning of the season but everyone has to realize that this team has over performed this year not underperformed. Like you said. They’re playing with house money right now. Even if they match up against the Clippers or Lakers in the 1st round and get sweated it’s still a successful season. This team is nowhere near being finished being built. They will get some playoff experience this year, add to the team in the off season and make another playoff run next year. By 2021 I would expect this year to be a legit contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#69 » by BlueSan » Tue Mar 3, 2020 8:46 pm

Personally I just hope they smack New Orleans and Memphis and the rest I dont really care :P

Do I think they will? No lol I think we ll get an ass wooping

Return to Dallas Mavericks