Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Shawn Marion Q&A: 'I was a big part of what the game is right now'  

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Mon Mar 2, 2020 7:10 pm

Here is a part of it.

When I interviewed you and your Dallas Mavericks teammates at the 2011 NBA Finals, it was clear that you guys were super confident that you’d beat the Miami Heat and you weren’t backing down at all. And you were really annoyed that people were viewing you guys as the underdog. Would you agree with that?

SM: Yeah! We was tired of hearing that! But it is what it is. That’s what happens a lot of the time. People always feel like they have to pick an underdog, to a certain degree. I guess you don’t have to; you could actually say, “We have these two great teams here and it’s even – winner-winner.” But people always want to say that somebody is better than somebody else or that they’ve got a better chance at winning. But a lot of times, they’re picking wrong. They’re picking based off of something that they don’t know sh** about. I’m being really candid. It’s amazing how so many people stipulate things off of a certain game or a certain skill set, but all that they’re basing it off of is what they’re seeing. It’s not the same as actually going out there and physically doing it and being part of it. It’s a different kind of mindset, a different kind of mentality, a different kind of approach. It’s a different kind of feeling. There are so many different things involved in this game. It’s easy for somebody to sit back and watch and say something about it and make their own stipulations about it. But when you’re in them trenches and actually going through that work… There’s nothing that you can do about it. You don’t know what it is. I don’t care how much you think you know basketball, you don’t know what it is. You don’t know what it feels like, unlike you’ve been in them trenches. But there’s levels to it. What part of them trenches are you in? Are you just spectating a little bit, dibbling and dabbling? Or are you in it, in it? You know what I’m saying? There’s so much about this game that’s speculated about and people say what they see, but you don’t really know what’s going on out there unless you’re really in it and you really dug down deep in it.

https://hoopshype.com/2020/02/28/nba-shawn-marion-phoenix-suns-dallas-mavericks-lebron-breakers-hall-fame-retired-legacy-rumors-podcast/

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Re: Shawn Marion Q&A: 'I was a big part of what the game is right now' 

Post#2 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Mar 7, 2020 12:16 pm

Did he ever say what pieces the Mavs are missing in order to become a true contender? I know he made that generalization a few months ago, but I do wonder what he thinks is missing.

Not that I think he's wrong, because it is obviously true, I just wanted more insight on that. Obviously a 3D wing would help out a lot.

Return to Dallas Mavericks