ImageImageImage

Did The Mavs Give Porzingis Too Much Money?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Re: Did The Mavs Give Porzingis Too Much Money? 

Post#21 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sat Mar 7, 2020 12:55 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
I'm with ya, and that thread sounds like a good idea. I mean, I don't want you to stop posting. Please don't misunderstand me. You go to some of these other team's forums on RealGM & it's just crickets. The Mavs forum is one of, if not the, most active forums on this site. It's freaking awesome!

Imagine being a Grizzlies fan and being all excited about a terrific season this year, a bright future, and having nobody to talk to about it. That would suck.

It's just that clutter discourages folks from interacting. That's all I'm saying. Time is limited, and not everyone has the time to sort through a dozen threads. Consolidation is all I'm saying.

Other than that, keep up the good work! The enthusiasm is freaggin' awesome!!

I'm not sure I really agree with the thought that clutter discourages folks. I used to post on a (non-bball) forum which (for not relevant reasons) became pretty moribund and was revived by one dedicated person starting many threads (over time). Most of them didn't get too much response, but every now and then he'd strike it lucky and eventually the whole board came back to life. Moreover, there really isn't that much activity on the Mavs branch of the forum (in comparison to NYK, Miami or Toronto, for example). But I guess everyone's experience and inclinations are different.

If this forum were as dead as the Grizzlies, Pelicans or even the Rockets forum is, then I would agree. But, HairyGOATee took a pretty healthy break in November & December. I didn't learn of him for like 6 weeks of coming here all the time, until someone bumped one of his threads from the summer & then I saw he was like literally posting 5 threads a day in the offseason lol! Gotta love the passion!

This forum is just fine. It doesn't need to be over-saturated with fodder. He didn't answer my original question, either.

Do you think the Mavs should of let KP walk? If you think the Mavs should of get KP, then why post this thread?

KP is a max offer player or don't waste your time. It's not a "too much" money situation because there was no negotiation to be done. Had the Mavs offered less, KP's agent would of rightfully told the Mavs to get bent & he would of gotten a max offer from about 10 other teams.

So, it's not a very stimulating question. It's kinda lazy, actually. Bad posts, bad content does discourage folks from participating on the forum.

I'm also very aware that last line will be used against me; probably for a very long time. LOL!!!

Idk, 4 on Saturday, 2 on Monday, 1 each on Tues and Wed. Perhaps that's a lot .. idk. Really, the key is not does every thread generate discussion, but some of them generate a decent amount of discussion. And/or are they diminishing the posting on other threads in the forum. I can't really see the latter .. but I mainly lurk on Mavs portion realGM anyway.

I agree that in this case it is a question of Betteridge's law of headlines and the answer is obviously "No."

However, there is a real question hiding in here somewhere: how will the Mavs organize their spending given they are paying KP ~30m, firstly over the next couple of years and then, secondly, once Luka gets maxed. Of course, lots of other teams with max players have addressed that, but each time it is a little different and KP + Luka is very different from almost every other example I can think of - maybe Lebron and AD excepted.

That question links back to one of the other threads: what would you do with a spare $5.5m salary (from Powell if he's out all next year), assuming that you manage to get over the cap before spending it.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#22 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Mar 7, 2020 8:59 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:Fair enough, but a lot of the threads have to do with strategy and such. Like Courtney Lee's Bird Rights, Ryan Broekhoff being eligible for a TWP contract, and the disabled player exception. Maybe I can just start a 2020-21 Strategy (Armchair GM) Thread or something like that. Kind of a cool idea tbh, but sometimes I am surprised by the threads that get traction here, as well as the ones that don't.

I'm with ya, and that thread sounds like a good idea. I mean, I don't want you to stop posting. Please don't misunderstand me. You go to some of these other team's forums on RealGM & it's just crickets. The Mavs forum is one of, if not the, most active forums on this site. It's freaking awesome!

Imagine being a Grizzlies fan and being all excited about a terrific season this year, a bright future, and having nobody to talk to about it. That would suck.

It's just that clutter discourages folks from interacting. That's all I'm saying. Time is limited, and not everyone has the time to sort through a dozen threads. Consolidation is all I'm saying.

Other than that, keep up the good work! The enthusiasm is freaggin' awesome!!

Thanks man, I appreciate it.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#23 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Mar 7, 2020 9:01 am

Tallball wrote:"Right now it is paying off huge. He has had 5 30/10 games since the start of February. If he can stay healthy, the Mavs potentially have two top 15 players and should be championship contenders soon. If he stays healthy, the Mavs are set to compete for the next decade. Our two stars are under 25 years old."

^^^^^
That!

Yeah, it's exciting for sure. Ionno if KP is a top 15 player, but he's playing like it right now. I just hope he can keep it up.

Return to Dallas Mavericks