ImageImageImage

2020 Offseason Strategy Thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#201 » by arkuo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:13 pm

we have a great 1/2/3 defender in Josh Reaves. Very underrated but he's under team control. very friendly contract. I hope there is progress on his development. WIthout Courtney Lee and possibly JJ Barea next season, I hope we get to see him play more. If he's another DFS then the Mavs struck gold.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,996

Post#202 » by HMFFL » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:57 pm

JJP wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Care to elaborate?

At this point, Elton Brand has a one year window to fix the problems on the team, or else he's gone. Young tack record proves he bounces around.

He plays for the Bulls.
LOL.. My mistake
Was at work researching it quickly and I was stuck on his Philly days. Still bounces around and is probably available.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#203 » by JJP » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:52 pm

HMFFL wrote:
JJP wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Care to elaborate?

At this point, Elton Brand has a one year window to fix the problems on the team, or else he's gone. Young tack record proves he bounces around.

He plays for the Bulls.
LOL.. My mistake
Was at work researching it quickly and I was stuck on his Philly days. Still bounces around and is probably available.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

You woke up six years later and.... :D

That said, I think both he and Milsap are just the types of players that might take shorter contracts and still be a net positive.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#204 » by JJP » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:28 pm

BTW, I continue to think the Mavericks are really interested in Facundo Campazzo who is playing for Real Madrid. It's almost certainty that he makes himself available to NBA teams in 2020-21. Since he played with Luca, the Mavs have scouted him already. There will be some competition but I have to think he wants to play with Luca.

At first, I couldn't imagine why anyone would want a player who is 5'10". But if you watch videos, you can sort of see how this guy would be a net plus when he's on the floor. Great playmaker, explosive first step, and even on defense he gets his share of steals. I don't think he'd be too costly either.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#205 » by Pointguard01 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 2:02 am

Wright for Thad Young is one of the better trade starters I’ve seen. Not sure I see the angle for the Bulls, esp if they take a PG at #4..?

Crowder is also not a bad fit.

Some of these other players aren’t what we need. We don’t need big men like Serge Ibaka and some of these other players wouldn’t see the floor.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#206 » by JJP » Tue Sep 1, 2020 2:13 am

Pointguard01 wrote:Wright for Thad Young is one of the better trade starters I’ve seen. Not sure I see the angle for the Bulls, esp if they take a PG at #4..?

Some of these other players aren’t what we need. We don’t need big men like Serge Ibaka and some of these other players wouldn’t see the floor.

A lot of trades are the type that say, I'll give you that player, but you have to take x-junk player with him. Matching salaries is always a mess.

Serge Ibaka is a UFA, so the Mavs aren't acquiring him unless he wants to settle for a 1-year contract... which is unlikely anyway. But I do think we could see 2-3 player trades if the salaries matched up.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#207 » by Pinkyring » Tue Sep 1, 2020 3:10 am

Pointguard01 wrote:Wright for Thad Young is one of the better trade starters I’ve seen. Not sure I see the angle for the Bulls, esp if they take a PG at #4..?

They wont draft a pg at 4 they drafted white last summer and he's a stud
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,010

Post#208 » by Mr B » Tue Sep 1, 2020 4:09 am

I’m wondering how Covid will effect free agency this year. It had a pretty big effect on NFL free agency. Also how will 2021 free agency effect this year’s free agency? With a lot of team not willing to dip into their 2021 cap space we could see a lot of players sign 1 year deals with the hopes of cashing in next year (every team can’t sign Giannis). So a guy like Ibaka might be more willing to take a 1 year deal than we think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#209 » by Mike lorenzo » Tue Sep 1, 2020 8:31 am

JJP wrote:BTW, I continue to think the Mavericks are really interested in Facundo Campazzo who is playing for Real Madrid. It's almost certainty that he makes himself available to NBA teams in 2020-21. Since he played with Luca, the Mavs have scouted him already. There will be some competition but I have to think he wants to play with Luca.

At first, I couldn't imagine why anyone would want a player who is 5'10". But if you watch videos, you can sort of see how this guy would be a net plus when he's on the floor. Great playmaker, explosive first step, and even on defense he gets his share of steals. I don't think he'd be too costly either.

He's really good ... quick hands, great defense (from guards) and he is a great assistant (imagine J.Williams) in my eyes the best Pg that plays in europe .... (and I hate real madrid)
1+1=11
mabundo_nagumbe
Junior
And1: 606

Post#210 » by mabundo_nagumbe » Tue Sep 1, 2020 10:42 am

Mike lorenzo wrote:
JJP wrote:BTW, I continue to think the Mavericks are really interested in Facundo Campazzo who is playing for Real Madrid. It's almost certainty that he makes himself available to NBA teams in 2020-21. Since he played with Luca, the Mavs have scouted him already. There will be some competition but I have to think he wants to play with Luca.

He's really good ... quick hands, great defense (from guards) and he is a great assistant (imagine J.Williams) in my eyes the best Pg that plays in europe .... (and I hate real madrid)

Do you see him as a bench leader? I think Dallas needs another facilitator to let Luka play off-ball a tidy bit more and maybe to get open for spot-up 3s. He said he is going to focus on his shooting this off-season, and I can imagine that means getting better at spot ups, because he was preety terrible at them this season

Also, what do you guys think about acquiring Aaron Baynes, he is a free agent
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#211 » by Pointguard01 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 10:53 am

Pinkyring — you’re probably right. The only PG they might consider is Lamelo bc of upside. Though, Chicago basically has a young player at every position so I personally would take BPA regardless of what’s on the roster.

JJP wrote:

A lot of trades are the type that say, I'll give you that player, but you have to take x-junk player with him. Matching salaries is always a mess.

Serge Ibaka is a UFA, so the Mavs aren't acquiring him unless he wants to settle for a 1-year contract... which is unlikely anyway. But I do think we could see 2-3 player trades if the salaries matched up.

True. I just would go after other UFA: Jae Crowder, Jerami Grant, Jamychael Green. We really need wings here, our guards and big men are in better states.

If Dallas could trade for Trad Young and sign Jamycheal Green, we’d have definitely gotten better off our weaknesses this summer.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#212 » by Mike lorenzo » Tue Sep 1, 2020 11:18 am

mabundo_nagumbe wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:

Do you see him as a bench leader? I think Dallas needs another facilitator to let Luka play off-ball a tidy bit more and maybe to get open for spot-up 3s. He said he is going to focus on his shooting this off-season, and I can imagine that means getting better at spot ups, because he was preety terrible at them this season

Campazzo has the talent to be a solid starter in the NBA
my doubts would be with the exterior shot.
Try to watch some of his games (if you have the opportunity). you will enjoy it .
I like Baynes a lot ... but I'm sure Suns will pay him ... it's been great and they have the money
1+1=11
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#213 » by JJP » Tue Sep 1, 2020 11:18 am

mabundo_nagumbe wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:

The thing about him being a rotation player is an interesting one. I go back and forth on this. I could actually see him playing beside Luca, but I suspect if he's acquired, it would be to lead the bench.

My guess is they have a pretty good idea how that would work since I suspect they have video of he and Luca on the court together.

The Aaron Baynes thing is also interesting. Since he now shoots a 3-ball pretty well, I could see him as a rotation player. He also might take a short contract.
mabundo_nagumbe
Junior
And1: 606

Post#214 » by mabundo_nagumbe » Tue Sep 1, 2020 11:56 am

JJP wrote:
mabundo_nagumbe wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:He's really good ... quick hands, great defense (from guards) and he is a great assistant (imagine J.Williams) in my eyes the best Pg that plays in europe .... (and I hate real madrid)

The thing about him being a rotation player is an interesting one. I go back and forth on this. I could actually see him playing beside Luca, but I suspect if he's acquired, it would be to lead the bench.

My guess is they have a pretty good idea how that would work since I suspect they have video of he and Luca on the court together.

The Aaron Baynes thing is also interesting. Since he now shoots a 3-ball pretty well, I could see him as a rotation player. He also might take a short contract.

As a Slovenian, I watched allmost all games of Luka since he was 16 and there has been a major concern about their co-existence on the floor, mainly because he took the ball out of Luka's hands and was reluctant to pass it back to him. Although, this might have also been due to the fact that the court is smaller in FIBA and it was harder for Luka to get open, and RM lacked bigs that would be able to stretch the floor. Considering this and the fact that Luka is developing his post play, which was preety much non existent in RM, I could see them sharing the floor.

I'm also surprised nobody brought up Baynes recently in the trade and post season discussions. How is he on defence, I haven't really watched him ever since he played in euroleague for Olimpija Ljubljana (Luka's first club btw)
arkuo
General Manager

Post#215 » by arkuo » Tue Sep 1, 2020 12:11 pm

For all the possible moves this offseason, I have a feeling the Mavs just re-sign Courtney Lee to a one year contract and then try to run it back for the playoffs again. Just wait for 2021 offseason. With how things are going in Milwaukee and with Giannis being surrounded by mediocre players who cant feed him the ball, signs are he leaves and moves to a bigger market.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#216 » by JJP » Tue Sep 1, 2020 1:15 pm

mabundo_nagumbe wrote:
JJP wrote:As a Slovenian, I watched allmost all games of Luka since he was 16 and there has been a major concern about their co-existence on the floor, mainly because he took the ball out of Luka's hands and was reluctant to pass it back to him. Although, this might have also been due to the fact that the court is smaller in FIBA and it was harder for Luka to get open, and RM lacked bigs that would be able to stretch the floor. Considering this and the fact that Luka is developing his post play, which was preety much non existent in RM, I could see them sharing the floor.

I'm also surprised nobody brought up Baynes recently in the trade and post season discussions. How is he on defence, I haven't really watched him ever since he played in euroleague for Olimpija Ljubljana (Luka's first club btw)

Interesting comment on your perspective of the Luca-Campazzo relationship on the court. I'm glad you said that. I don't think I've heard from anyone who has seen them together.

I haven't seen all that much of Baynes either truthfully - maybe twice this year. I know he is probably mobile enough to be a Mavericks player, but I can't really speak about his defense.
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#217 » by Bluelabel24 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 7:02 am

Christian Wood is another interesting feel good story... guy was undrafted and after 5yrs of bouncing around the league(from sixers to hornets to buck to pelicans then finally detroit) finally managed to save his nba career. after trading drummond wood averaged 21pts and 10rebs, shot 38% from 3 also. Pretty solid defender and energy guy, dont know if detroit is going to pay him i just think he is a player that FO should at least look at.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#218 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 2, 2020 11:56 am

Right now, this is a team that has 6'8 Magic Johnson and 7'3 Ralph Samson (yes, including the injury concerns). If Dallas were to get Giannis, that's essentially the 1987 Houston Rockets then you add Magic in the mix with Olajuwon and Sampson.

Point is, just overpay someone for a one year deal, try to run it back, and get some real help in 2021. Whoever that help may be.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#219 » by JJP » Wed Sep 2, 2020 2:28 pm

While there will be a lot of names on the UFA market in 2021, I'm not sure any of them will leave their current teams. For instance, I can't imagine Anthony Davis, Leonard or George leaving Los Angeles.

A ton of the 2021 UFA players have gotten pretty old (LeBron, Conley, Paul, Lowry) and many of them will not be good fits here (Drummond and DeRozan).

So while we may wish to go all out in 2021, it's a lot more limiting than it sounds. Dallas has to outspend for someone like Holiday or Hayward. It would be a surprise if Giannis was determined to be a UFA in 2021, but who really thinks he'd want to be in Dallas rather than some coastal team? The fact is, we haven't had much success with good FA's. That may change with Doncic, but it may not. 2021 doesn't necessarily lean in favor of a big Dallas acquisition just because a few big names are on the market.

This is why, this draft night might be really important. We don't have a lot of good trade assets, but we do have good draft assets this year. And after this playoff series, I suspect the Mavericks will be enthusiastic about adding some real upgrades.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#220 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 2, 2020 5:31 pm

Also expect the Mavs to revisit the Aaron Gordon trade talk that went past the trade deadline.

Powell + Kleber + Brunson + #31 works.

Then trade Delon + 18 for Josh Richardson. Save cap space then run it back.

C- Porzingis / WCS / Boban
PF- Gordon / DFS
SF- RIchardson / Jackson
SG- THJ / Curry
PG- Doncic / Burke

Return to Dallas Mavericks