Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#341 » by Pinkyring » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:06 pm

ejs78 wrote:He's a FA target for the Mavs in many peoples eyes
Pinkyring wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Raptors to offer free agent Serge Ibaka short-term deal?

[https://hoopshype]

Ibaka’s free agency is tough to gauge. I had someone in the know tell me Toronto could offer him a short-term deal to keep its core together and wait until the following summer to decide on whether to offer him a bigger deal.

Another source told me Ibaka could get a deal with the mid-level exception, but the Nets’ $5.7 million MLE is nowhere near Ibaka’s $23 million salary this season. Would he take a discount to end up in Brooklyn with his good friend Durant? Maybe. But not one that big.

– via Alex Schiffer @ The Athletic

Top Rumors, Free Agency, Serge Ibaka, Toronto Raptors

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

What does this have to do with the mavs

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Makes zero sense, we need a 2/3 not a 4th 4/5 on a 9mish+;contract
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#342 » by ejs78 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:38 pm

Up to the FO
Pinkyring wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:What does this have to do with the mavs

Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#343 » by Pinkyring » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:23 am

ejs78 wrote:

Up to the FO
Pinkyring wrote:

Yeah donnie doesn't know how to build a balanced roster so i wouldn't be surprised if he pursued Ibaka without moving powell or maxi
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,894

Post#344 » by HMFFL » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:03 am

Pinkyring wrote:

Ibaka’s free agency is tough to gauge. I had someone in the know tell me Toronto could offer him a short-term deal to keep its core together and wait until the following summer to decide on whether to offer him a bigger deal.

Another source told me Ibaka could get a deal with the mid-level exception, but the Nets’ $5.7 million MLE is nowhere near Ibaka’s $23 million salary this season. Would he take a discount to end up in Brooklyn with his good friend Durant? Maybe. But not one that big.

Many Dallas fans have Serge Ibaka on their free agent list.

Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#345 » by Pinkyring » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:23 am

HMFFL wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:

With kp maxi and Powell that's a weird target
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Post#346 » by Mr B » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:08 am

Pinkyring wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:What does this have to do with the mavs

The reason many fans are wanting another big like Ibaka is because he would provide toughness. I love what KP did when he stepped in to protect Luka but that shouldn’t be his job. It should have been Maxi or Powell. Powell is injured and Maxi isn’t built that way. Ibaka is a tough guy and still productive. If he came to Dallas though it does mean that either Powell or Maxi would need to be moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#347 » by arkuo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:47 am

Serious question:

If Balmer is dumb enough to blow it up, as mentioned by Kendrick Perkins from his sources, would you trade THJ + Seth + #18 and #31 for Paul George?

IMO, Paul George better fits an elite 3&D role like a Khris Middleton more. The Clippers are using him like a 2nd Kawhi that keeps using iso plays. He's not that player anymore.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#348 » by arkuo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:48 am

Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Many Dallas fans have Serge Ibaka on their free agent list.

The reason many fans are wanting another big like Ibaka is because he would provide toughness. I love what KP did when he stepped in to protect Luka but that shouldn’t be his job. It should have been Maxi or Powell. Powell is injured and Maxi isn’t built that way. Ibaka is a tough guy and still productive. If he came to Dallas though it does mean that either Powell or Maxi would need to be moved.

I hope they get to pitch to Paul Milsap too. He's been playing well but is 35. Maybe the full MLE?
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#349 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:19 pm

We have to hope Powell gets back from his injury. It just doesn’t make sense to go after Ibaka with money tied to KP, Powell and Kleber (plus Boban).

The idea that toughness needs to come from size I’d disagree with. Better targets are Jae Crowder, Jerami Grant, Sterling Brown, etc

arkuo wrote:Serious question:

If Balmer is dumb enough to blow it up, as mentioned by Kendrick Perkins from his sources, would you trade THJ + Seth + #18 and #31 for Paul George?

IMO, Paul George better fits an elite 3&D role like a Khris Middleton more. The Clippers are using him like a 2nd Kawhi that keeps using iso plays. He's not that player anymore.

Of course Dallas would.
Of course the Clippers wouldn’t
arkuo
General Manager

Post#350 » by arkuo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:25 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:We have to hope Powell gets back from his injury. It just doesn’t make sense to go after Ibaka with money tied to KP, Powell and Kleber (plus Boban).

Powell + Kleber combined is close to a max contract. But those two combined isnt max player production. They have to get more out of those two or ship one out to give playing time to a better fitting player at PF.

KP is the number one screener and lob threat for Luka now. I prefer that we get more out of KP to justify the max contract handed to him, rather than him just standing in the 3 point line waiting for a kick out pass. Given that, Powell doesnt have a spot left since he cant stand in the corner waiting for the open 3. If there's some roster changes, then I hope its for Powell and Delon Wright. Trade those two for better fitting pieces even if it means attaching the 18th pick to make it work.

My guess is a trade proposal centered around Courtney Lee + Wright was worked on prior to the deadline for Aaron Gordon. But that trade didnt push through.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#351 » by Mr B » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:27 pm

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:With kp maxi and Powell that's a weird target

I hope they get to pitch to Paul Milsap too. He's been playing well but is 35. Maybe the full MLE?

Milsap is definitely an option too. It would be either/or but not both. They do also really need a defensive wing and they need another playmaker next to Luka.

Out of those 3 needs they may only be able to fill one of them this off season. Unless they make some trades of course. It’s going to be real interesting to see what they prioritize in free agency.

When exactly does free agency start?

Mr B
RealGM

Post#352 » by Mr B » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:37 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:

We have to hope Powell gets back from his injury. It just doesn’t make sense to go after Ibaka with money tied to KP, Powell and Kleber (plus Boban).

The idea that toughness needs to come from size I’d disagree with. Better targets are Jae Crowder, Jerami Grant, Sterling Brown, etc

Of course Dallas would.

Maybe you missed the part where I said that one of Powell or Kleber will have to be moved. Preferably it would be Powell that’s moved because of his contract but I think Kleber has more trade value.

With that said I do agree with you that they could go with a wing instead. Both positions are needed and like you said, they already have a lot of money tied up in their front court. It makes sense to go with a wing. Of those guys I would prefer Crowder or Grant. When you think about the players they’ll be having to guard I’d prefer to go with size at the wing.

It’s going to be real interesting to see which route they take in free agency.

arkuo
General Manager

Post#353 » by arkuo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:57 pm

Mr B wrote:

The Athletic reports that free agency should start on October 18. Training camp starts November 10.

My guess is they will save every ounce of that cap space for Giannis. So they will probably just sign one player with the MLE and try to run it back with essentially the same squad.

A few guys were absent during the bubble.

Power forward lob threat - Dwight Powell
Backup center - Willie Caulie Stein
Secondary playmaker - Jalen Brunson
Wing defender - this is supposed to be Delon Wright's job but he has fallen off the rotation somehow. I guess they sign a new guy here.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#354 » by Mr B » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:04 pm

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:

The Athletic reports that free agency should start on October 18. Training camp starts November 10.

My guess is they will save every ounce of that cap space for Giannis. So they will probably just sign one player with the MLE and try to run it back with essentially the same squad.

Wing defender - this is supposed to be Delon Wright's job but he has fallen off the rotation somehow. I guess they sign a new guy here.

That’s pretty much what I’m expecting. I know WCS has a player option and I honestly think he’s going to opt out. I’m wondering though if seeing what Luka did in the bubble and how good this team really if WCS will opt in.

arkuo
General Manager

Post#355 » by arkuo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:16 pm

Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:

That’s pretty much what I’m expecting. I know WCS has a player option and I honestly think he’s going to opt out. I’m wondering though if seeing what Luka did in the bubble and how good this team really if WCS will opt in.

WCS must be really confident for him to opt out of guaranteed money when A) no one has seen him play since February, and B) with the cap going down, not a lot of teams are on a spending mood.

Since Delon Wright has fell off the rotation, and with Orlando looking for a point guard, I'd be open to trading him for Al Farouq Aminu who's coming back from an injury and whose value is also low at the time. He can be a good wing defender especially at 6'9. Powell moves up to backup C and Kleber at backup PF. Sign someone like Davis Bertans or Jae Crowder with the MLE and run it back. Take it back to the 2014 Mavs roster with Aminu and Crowder back here, add some grit to that lineup.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#356 » by Darren » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:32 pm

Win with more athleticism and flexibility with RC. At the same time, go younger building young core. For example, the Mavs move on from Giannis's pursuit.

TRADE ONE
Mavs gets: Horford, Thybulle, Smith, 21 Ramsey, 36 later traded to NYK for Ntilikina
Sixers gets: Powell, Wright, Curry, Boban, Jackson

WHY? Sixers gets Curry's shooting to cook with Simmons and Emiid with a stronger chance to bring back Richardson.

TRADE TWO
Mavs gets Bamba, 15 Nesmith
Orlando gets DFS, Brunson, 18, 2023 MIA 2nd

WHY? Orlando gets DFS to take on best offensive players in Issacc's absence. If Issacc doesn't come back the same, getting DFS as stopper-type is sweet. Having Brunson to replace DJ gives a younger long-term ball handler.

TRADE THREE
Mavs gets Ntilikina
NYK gets 36

WHY? NYK saves money and gets a pick and move on from a player not in future plan.

C - KP / Horford / Tacko Fall with vet min
PF - Kleber / Bamba / #31 McDaniels
SF - Thybulle / #15 Nesmith / Broekhoff with vet min
SG - Hardaway / Ntilikina / Smith
PG - Doncic / Barea or Burke or Yogi with vet min / #21 Ramsey

The Mavs gets stronger defense with more athleticism while losing some shooting. But Rick Carlisie has more flexibility to go big or small. With the right length and athleticism, Mavs defense should have improved significantly with full-shutdown lineup or full-shooting lineup. The Mavs goes with 12 depth not including Fall, McDaniels and Smith. If things click with Nesmith and Thybulle, the Mavs might ship Hardaway's expring contract for something. If Bamba breaks out, the Mavs may trade Kleber for something. That's the normal way the Mavs handling the business. With Horford handling the ball somewhat, Ramsey can play more natural combo guard off bench. McDaniels is considered a project who may take Matrix role in a few years. For the time being, having Broekhoff for 12 mins isn't bad. Zaire Smith has a chance to prove. Tacko Fall also has a chance to prove in some occasion.

Super tall lineup with KP and Fall with zone defense with multiple shotblockers on court at the same time to take advantage of favorable matchups.
A small ball center, e.g. Bamba / Kleber with Doncic and three 3D players with Thybulle, Ntilikina and so on.
Doncic with full-shooting lineup with KP, Broekhoff, Nesmith and Ramsey.
Horford and Doncic with multiple PGs / Playmaker lineup with lightning quick steps e.g. Ntilikina, Barea/Burke, Ramsey.
Smart baller lineup with KP/Kleber, Horford, Doncic, Hardaway and maybe Barea/Burke on court together.

Try to go after Issacc in 2021 with Hardaway off the book. Smith and Ntilikina could also come off the book if necessary. Assume Bamba works out well, Kleber could also land the Mavs an expiring contract with a draft pick.

KP / Isacc / Thybulle / Nesmith / Doncic lineup is for real with a deep team winning with bench as well.
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#357 » by deb » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:08 am

What? A Darren offseason plan that doesn't involve FVV? Is this reality? Ntkilina and Broekhoff are in it, so Darren's account hasn't been abducted...

On a serious note, how would KP and Horford coexist?
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#358 » by Pointguard01 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:18 am

arkuo wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:We have to hope Powell gets back from his injury. It just doesn’t make sense to go after Ibaka with money tied to KP, Powell and Kleber (plus Boban).

Powell + Kleber combined is close to a max contract. But those two combined isnt max player production. They have to get more out of those two or ship one out to give playing time to a better fitting player at PF.

KP is the number one screener and lob threat for Luka now. I prefer that we get more out of KP to justify the max contract handed to him, rather than him just standing in the 3 point line waiting for a kick out pass. Given that, Powell doesnt have a spot left since he cant stand in the corner waiting for the open 3. If there's some roster changes, then I hope its for Powell and Delon Wright. Trade those two for better fitting pieces even if it means attaching the 18th pick to make it work.

My guess is a trade proposal centered around Courtney Lee + Wright was worked on prior to the deadline for Aaron Gordon. But that trade didnt push through.

Powell and Kleber are $18-million, Max players are $28-$36-milllion pending experience.

My issue with moving Powell is his value is down right now so anyone suggesting trading Powell is for (a) bad contract or (b) with an asset, which I don’t believe we have the luxury of trading.

We have invested too much in backs bigs, but we’re kinda stick right now.

Mr B wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:

Of course Dallas would.

Maybe you missed the part where I said that one of Powell or Kleber will have to be moved. Preferably it would be Powell that’s moved because of his contract but I think Kleber has more trade value.

With that said I do agree with you that they could go with a wing instead. Both positions are needed and like you said, they already have a lot of money tied up in their front court. It makes sense to go with a wing. Of those guys I would prefer Crowder or Grant. When you think about the players they’ll be having to guard I’d prefer to go with size at the wing.

Yeah, I missed that. Fair. just don’t think adding a 32-yr old Ibaka is the right move.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#359 » by Mr B » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:39 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Powell and Kleber are $18-million, Max players are $28-$36-milllion pending experience.

My issue with moving Powell is his value is down right now so anyone suggesting trading Powell is for (a) bad contract or (b) with an asset, which I don’t believe we have the luxury of trading.

We have invested too much in backs bigs, but we’re kinda stick right now.

Mr B wrote:

Of course Dallas would.

Yeah, I missed that. Fair. just don’t think adding a 32-yr old Ibaka is the right move.

Age is definitely a factor. I think with Ibaka we would be looking to add him for 1 year only though. His toughness and his contract are what I like about him.

Anyway OKC would be willing to deal Steven Adams? If they could trade for Adams and then sign Crowder or Jerami Grant that would be a much tougher team in my opinion.

Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 830

Post#360 » by Teffer10 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:32 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:

Agree...just draft Paul Reed at #31 to develop under Powell, Maxi and KP. He's the closest player to Ibaka in this draft and would cost next to nothing.
I'd take Ibaka but only in a trade scenario that involves Powell.

Return to Dallas Mavericks