ImageImageImage

2020 Offseason Strategy Thread

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

Mr B
Head Coach
Posts: 6,389
And1: 1,453
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#361 » by Mr B » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:00 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
Yeah, I missed that. Fair. just don’t think adding a 32-yr old Ibaka is the right move.

Agree...just draft Paul Reed at #31 to develop under Powell, Maxi and KP. He's the closest player to Ibaka in this draft and would cost next to nothing.
I'd take Ibaka but only in a trade scenario that involves Powell.

That Powell/Ibaka trade could also be a possibility. I can’t comment on draft picks because I literally have no idea who any of those guys are.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,662
And1: 626
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#362 » by arkuo » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:45 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
Yeah, I missed that. Fair. just don’t think adding a 32-yr old Ibaka is the right move.

Agree...just draft Paul Reed at #31 to develop under Powell, Maxi and KP. He's the closest player to Ibaka in this draft and would cost next to nothing.
I'd take Ibaka but only in a trade scenario that involves Powell.


We know he can play. Then again the question is if Carlisle will play a rookie major minutes. We all know he's one of the more stubborn coaches in the league. He won't play a rookie PF if he's only a Jonathon Motely. He must be the 2nd coming of Tim Duncan to be able to crack the rotation. He has to bump off Powell and Maxi in the pecking order. Which is a lot to ask for a teenager. Which is why im not the boat of trading the 18th pick with a package if Carlisle isn't playing him anytime soon anyway.
Teffer10
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,896
And1: 446
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#363 » by Teffer10 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:57 pm

arkuo wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
Yeah, I missed that. Fair. just don’t think adding a 32-yr old Ibaka is the right move.

Agree...just draft Paul Reed at #31 to develop under Powell, Maxi and KP. He's the closest player to Ibaka in this draft and would cost next to nothing.
I'd take Ibaka but only in a trade scenario that involves Powell.


We know he can play. Then again the question is if Carlisle will play a rookie major minutes. We all know he's one of the more stubborn coaches in the league. He won't play a rookie PF if he's only a Jonathon Motely. He must be the 2nd coming of Tim Duncan to be able to crack the rotation. He has to bump off Powell and Maxi in the pecking order. Which is a lot to ask for a teenager. Which is why im not the boat of trading the 18th pick with a package if Carlisle isn't playing him anytime soon anyway.

Reed wouldn't play much the first few years anyway if Powell healthy.
But I'd take him at #31and slowly develop him because he could really pay off in a few years when Luka is nearing his prime.
His game is somewhat similar to Ibaka's and could become a solid piece in our frontcourt rotation if he continues to build on those skills. Ugly looking shot but already looks better than Powell at that.

Is similar to Motley but a much better defender and more mobile.
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,662
And1: 626
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#364 » by arkuo » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:42 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Agree...just draft Paul Reed at #31 to develop under Powell, Maxi and KP. He's the closest player to Ibaka in this draft and would cost next to nothing.
I'd take Ibaka but only in a trade scenario that involves Powell.


We know he can play. Then again the question is if Carlisle will play a rookie major minutes. We all know he's one of the more stubborn coaches in the league. He won't play a rookie PF if he's only a Jonathon Motely. He must be the 2nd coming of Tim Duncan to be able to crack the rotation. He has to bump off Powell and Maxi in the pecking order. Which is a lot to ask for a teenager. Which is why im not the boat of trading the 18th pick with a package if Carlisle isn't playing him anytime soon anyway.

Reed wouldn't play much the first few years anyway if Powell healthy.
But I'd take him at #31and slowly develop him because he could really pay off in a few years when Luka is nearing his prime.
His game is somewhat similar to Ibaka's and could become a solid piece in our frontcourt rotation if he continues to build on those skills. Ugly looking shot but already looks better than Powell at that.

Is similar to Motley but a much better defender and more mobile.


I like Reed. He can be like an Aminu type defender.

For 18, maybe they take a look at Tyler Bey. He's similar to a Matthyse Thybulle who was also picked #20 last year. Pac-12 defense player too.
Zeno
RealGM
Posts: 10,823
And1: 9,091
Joined: Jun 06, 2001
   

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#365 » by Zeno » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:32 pm

I think you guys are going to sign Rondae Hollis Jefferson for like 5 million this off-season. Good fill-in for Powell. Energy player/versatile big defender on perimeter, good around the basket. I remember a rumour the Mavs tried to trade for him at the deadline.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 41,499
And1: 3,032
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#366 » by HMFFL » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:52 pm

Gordon Hayward is the glue to the Boston Celtics. We could use his leadership but in expect him to accept his player option.

2020-21: $34,187,085 {Player Option}

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 41,499
And1: 3,032
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#367 » by HMFFL » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:22 pm

Tristan Thompson would be a good option for us just not signed longterm.

The team source said that there’s “a lot of mutual interest” between Cleveland and Thompson. In a sense, who the team drafts could play a significant role in that free-agency decision. Would it make sense for Thompson to return if Onyeka Okongwu is the selection at five? Though unlikely, if James Wiseman were to surprisingly slide to the Cavaliers and they nabbed him, re-signing Thompson may no longer be a priority.

 

– via Spencer Davies @ basketballnews.com



Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
dirkforpres
General Manager
Posts: 8,910
And1: 3,723
Joined: Sep 13, 2005
   

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#368 » by dirkforpres » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:37 pm

HMFFL wrote:Tristan Thompson would be a good option for us just not signed longterm.

The team source said that there’s “a lot of mutual interest” between Cleveland and Thompson. In a sense, who the team drafts could play a significant role in that free-agency decision. Would it make sense for Thompson to return if Onyeka Okongwu is the selection at five? Though unlikely, if James Wiseman were to surprisingly slide to the Cavaliers and they nabbed him, re-signing Thompson may no longer be a priority.

 

– via Spencer Davies @ basketballnews.com



Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app


Not likely with Rich Paul representing him. He wants all his guys in Los Angeles
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,662
And1: 626
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#369 » by arkuo » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:08 pm

if WCS opts in, and with Houston needing a center with a new coach, would you trade WCS for Ben Mclemore straight up?
JJP
Sophomore
Posts: 155
And1: 25
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#370 » by JJP » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:39 pm

arkuo wrote:if WCS opts in, and with Houston needing a center with a new coach, would you trade WCS for Ben Mclemore straight up?


I can't see a good reason for the Mavs to make that particular trade. WCS is clearly a better defender and rim protector than Mclemore. WCS's defensive rating in the Fivethirtyeight's RAPTOR is situated at #3 out of 250 players. McLemore is near the bottom. Mclemore has a good 3-point shot and would be an upgrade as another perimeter shooter, but I don't see why the Mavs would make that trade given their need.

Both players are a fairly good bargain right now, but this trade doesn't sound like it's worth the paperwork.
dirkforpres
General Manager
Posts: 8,910
And1: 3,723
Joined: Sep 13, 2005
   

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#371 » by dirkforpres » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:10 pm

Read on Twitter


Ugh keep him far away
ACM_Dirk
Freshman
Posts: 86
And1: 99
Joined: Jan 19, 2020
   

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#372 » by ACM_Dirk » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:35 pm

Why? I'd never waiste our cap-space on Harrell.
ACMFFL
Mr B
Head Coach
Posts: 6,389
And1: 1,453
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#373 » by Mr B » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:43 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Read on Twitter


Ugh keep him far away

I disagree, and apparently the Mavs disagree with you too. He’s the exact kind of player that we need. He apologized to Luka personally and if Luka is ok with adding him to the team then I’m ok with it too. I’m more concerned with the price tag.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wolfram
Junior
Posts: 295
And1: 230
Joined: May 21, 2018
 

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#374 » by wolfram » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:14 pm

I wouldnt mind him on the team. Morris I would never take.
Mr B
Head Coach
Posts: 6,389
And1: 1,453
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#375 » by Mr B » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:34 pm

I’m listening to one of the Mavs podcasts and they are talking about the Mavs should trade for Zach Levine. THJ being the main piece going back. I’ve always thought Levine would be great in Dallas, especially under Carlisle but it would mean that they HAVE to move Powell in order to maintain their cap space for 2021. If the Mavs could also move Powell (even if in a separate deal) would you be ok with acquiring Levine (while maintaining cap space for 2021)?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JJP
Sophomore
Posts: 155
And1: 25
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#376 » by JJP » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:40 pm

Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Read on Twitter


Ugh keep him far away

I disagree, and apparently the Mavs disagree with you too. He’s the exact kind of player that we need. He apologized to Luka personally and if Luka is ok with adding him to the team then I’m ok with it too. I’m more concerned with the price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I think the Sports Illustrated reporter is blowing a little smoke. While he is a player that might fit the tough-guy profile, I have to think they would rather spend the money on a stronger defensive wing with a better perimeter shot. The Mavericks will have some competition if they have an interest in Harrell, and he will likely be too expensive. I have a hard time believing that would the Mavs first option with MLE money.
DBoys
Starter
Posts: 2,022
And1: 196
Joined: Aug 22, 2010

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#377 » by DBoys » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:53 pm

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:When exactly does free agency start?


The Athletic reports that free agency should start on October 18. Training camp starts November 10.


That info is way out of date.
Mr B
Head Coach
Posts: 6,389
And1: 1,453
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#378 » by Mr B » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:01 am

JJP wrote:
Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Read on Twitter


Ugh keep him far away

I disagree, and apparently the Mavs disagree with you too. He’s the exact kind of player that we need. He apologized to Luka personally and if Luka is ok with adding him to the team then I’m ok with it too. I’m more concerned with the price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I think the Sports Illustrated reporter is blowing a little smoke. While he is a player that might fit the tough-guy profile, I have to think they would rather spend the money on a stronger defensive wing with a better perimeter shot. The Mavericks will have some competition if they have an interest in Harrell, and he will likely be too expensive. I have a hard time believing that would the Mavs first option with MLE money.

That’s why I said I’m more concerned with the contract than the player.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ejs78
Pro Prospect
Posts: 800
And1: 166
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#379 » by ejs78 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:22 am

Also are the Mavs good with Rich Paul clients now.
JJP wrote:
Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Read on Twitter


Ugh keep him far away

I disagree, and apparently the Mavs disagree with you too. He’s the exact kind of player that we need. He apologized to Luka personally and if Luka is ok with adding him to the team then I’m ok with it too. I’m more concerned with the price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I think the Sports Illustrated reporter is blowing a little smoke. While he is a player that might fit the tough-guy profile, I have to think they would rather spend the money on a stronger defensive wing with a better perimeter shot. The Mavericks will have some competition if they have an interest in Harrell, and he will likely be too expensive. I have a hard time believing that would the Mavs first option with MLE money.


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,662
And1: 626
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#380 » by arkuo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:30 pm

This is just purely my opinion...

But if NOT Giannis in 2021, I can see the Mavs go hard after Devonte Graham. RFA in 2021, 2nd best shooter in the league behind Harden. Considering how Cuban was ready to give a blank check to Kemba Walker, I dont see why he wouldn't do the same to Graham who is only 25, shoots and defends better than Kemba, and plays way better off ball running around screens in Charlotte. That's perfect opposite Luka, which is why I assume that they really chased Kemba last summer.

Return to Dallas Mavericks