ImageImageImage

Analyzing The Mavs Roster: Who's Over/Underpaid?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Mar 7, 2020 9:35 am

I'll also throw in Ryan Broekhoff, even though he was recently waived, and sure, I might as well throw in Roby as well.
I will typically round to the nearest tenth's spot, but in some cases, I will go to the hundreth's.

Luka Doncic: $7.7 million
Tim Hardaway Jr.: $20 million
Dorian Finney Smith: $4 million
Maxi Kleber: $8 million
Kristaps Porzingis: $27.3 million
Dwight Powell: $10.26 million
Seth Curry: $7.5 million
Delon Wright: $9.5 million
Jalen Brunson: $1.4 million
Justin Jackson: $3.3 million
Boban Marjonovic: $3.5 million
JJ Barea: $2.6 million
Willie Cauley-Stein: $2.2 million
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: $600k
Courtney Lee: $12.75 million
Ryan Broekhoff: $1.4 million
Isaiah Roby: $1.5 million

So who's overpaid, who's underpaid, and who seems to be earning the correct amount for their contributions this year?
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Re: Analyzing The Mavs Roster To Find Out Who's Over/Underpaid 

Post#2 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:22 pm

I'll go first

Luka Doncic: $7.7 million - Underpaid
Tim Hardaway Jr.: $20 million - Overpaid, but I'm glad the Mavs have him
Dorian Finney Smith: $4 million - Underpaid
Maxi Kleber: $8 million - Underpaid
Kristaps Porzingis: $27.3 million - Had to give him this much, and right now he's playing like it, but he definitely wasn't earlier in the year. On the whole, I guess that means he's overpaid, but he could be an all-star next season.
Dwight Powell: $10.26 million - Overpaid for this season due to injury, but seems about right if he can come back at full health
Seth Curry: $7.5 million - Underpaid
Delon Wright: $9.5 million - About right, but this is a tough one tbh. He's been kinda inconsistent in terms of the impact he's had on games.
Jalen Brunson: $1.4 million - Underpaid
Justin Jackson: $3.3 million - About right for the role
Boban Marjonovic: $3.5 million - Underpaid based off of efficiency and effectiveness, about right for the amount of minutes/games
JJ Barea: $2.6 million - Underpaid now due to playing more
Willie Cauley-Stein: $2.2 million - Underpaid with GSW. About right now
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: $600k - About right I guess, but I miss Broekhoff
Courtney Lee: $12.75 million - Overpaid
Ryan Broekhoff: $1.4 million - Underpaid
Isaiah Roby: $1.5 million - Overpaid, but I wish him well.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,858

Re: Analyzing The Mavs Roster: Who's Over/Underpaid? 

Post#3 » by dirkules_41 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 5:38 pm

Luka Doncic: $7.7 million - underpaid due to Rookie contract
Tim Hardaway Jr.: $20 million - minimal overpay
Dorian Finney Smith: $4 million - good value, slightly underpaid
Maxi Kleber: $8 million - about right
Kristaps Porzingis: $27.3 million - no brainer franchise player money, hence good value and about right
Dwight Powell: $10.26 million - overpaid, should not make more than Maxi
Seth Curry: $7.5 million - about right with potential for slight underpay
Delon Wright: $9.5 million - about right leaning towads overpay
Jalen Brunson: $1.4 million - underpaid due to second rounder rookie contract
Justin Jackson: $3.3 million - about right
Boban Marjonovic: $3.5 million - about right
JJ Barea: $2.6 million - about right
Willie Cauley-Stein: $2.2 million - underpaid
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: $600k - TBD, sample size too small
Courtney Lee: $12.75 million - overpaid
Ryan Broekhoff: $1.4 million - about right
Isaiah Roby: $1.5 million - overpaid
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#4 » by arkuo » Sat Mar 7, 2020 6:42 pm

Analyzing the list, the only overpays are THJ, Powell and Wright. With THJ expiring soon, Wright going on for a year more, it's only Powell left who needs to clear the books.

The unique thing about this team is we're stacked with a lot of role players. Maxi, Seth, Wright, Powell, DFS, THJ, Lee. Those guys combined are probably worth two more max slots if you ask me.

So to compete next season, what needs to happen is:
-Let Courtney Lee walk
-Find takers for Powell, Wright and Jackson
-Don't raise and extend THJ's contract

All these put the Mavs in a position to be active in the summer of 2021. That's your next window to acquire a 3rd wheel to this car we're driving. That 3rd wheel has to be okay with the pecking order and the corresponding touches and shot attempts said order entails. Luka (1A -25 shot attempts), Kristaps (1B -20 shot attempts), and the new guy (around 12 to 15 shot attempts).
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#5 » by fuller4379 » Sun Mar 8, 2020 2:02 am

Luka, Brunson, and Curry are underpaid.

They probably will not get value out of Powell contract because of the injury.

Lee is a penalty of getting KP. So was Hardaway but he is close to earning his contract.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Mar 8, 2020 8:08 am

arkuo wrote:Analyzing the list, the only overpays are THJ, Powell and Wright. With THJ expiring soon, Wright going on for a year more, it's only Powell left who needs to clear the books.

The unique thing about this team is we're stacked with a lot of role players. Maxi, Seth, Wright, Powell, DFS, THJ, Lee. Those guys combined are probably worth two more max slots if you ask me.

-Let Courtney Lee walk

All these put the Mavs in a position to be active in the summer of 2021. That's your next window to acquire a 3rd wheel to this car we're driving. That 3rd wheel has to be okay with the pecking order and the corresponding touches and shot attempts said order entails. Luka (1A -25 shot attempts), Kristaps (1B -20 shot attempts), and the new guy (around 12 to 15 shot attempts).

What about the Mavs using the nearly $10 million MLE? How does that figure into everything?
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#7 » by arkuo » Sun Mar 8, 2020 8:55 am

HairyGOATee wrote:
arkuo wrote:Analyzing the list, the only overpays are THJ, Powell and Wright. With THJ expiring soon, Wright going on for a year more, it's only Powell left who needs to clear the books.

-Let Courtney Lee walk

What about the Mavs using the nearly $10 million MLE? How does that figure into everything?

The MLE cannot be combined with cap space to create a max slot.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Mar 8, 2020 10:00 am

arkuo wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

-Let Courtney Lee walk

The MLE cannot be combined with cap space to create a max slot.

Yes, I understand that, but what I was trying to get at was, what if the Mavs use all of the MLE money this summer and give a player a 4 year deal with it. How does that affect their ability to give max money to a FA in 2021? Of course, that has to be figured into the calculations and strategy as well.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Mar 8, 2020 10:03 am

Also, when the Mavs find takers for Powell, Wright, and Justin Jackson, they are trying to get expirings back in return, correct? Also, can't the Mavs just fail to give Jackson a QO and let him walk?
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Mar 8, 2020 10:05 am

I think Lee will walk this summer, but I am interested to see if they try to turn him into a sizable expiring for trade talks.
Ionno who the Mavs would try to target though, other than Aaron Gordon. And even then, Courtney Lee doesn't affect the value of the trade, just the financials.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Mar 8, 2020 3:17 pm

I do think Maxi and DFS are both proving the good value the Mavs got with them now. I'd like to see Maxi fix his shooting form though. Hopefully he can put more arc on his shot and tighten up his shooting/landing base as well.

Return to Dallas Mavericks