What's Every Player's Ideal Position?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:43 am

See the list below with possible options. You can only pick one of the options listed. For instance, with Luka, your options are PG, SG, or SF, but you can only choose one.

Luka Doncic: PG, SG, SF
Tim Hardaway Jr.: SG, SF
Dorian Finney-Smith: SF, PF
Kristaps Porzingis: PF, C
Dwight Powell: PF, C
Seth Curry: PG, SG
Maxi Kleber: SF, PF, C (I know that he doesn't play SF, but please give it some consideration)
Delon Wright: PG, SG, SF
Jalen Brunson: PG, SG
Justin Jackson: SG, SF, PF
Boban Marjanovic: C, PF
JJ Barea: PG, SG
Courtney Lee: SG, SF
Willie Cauley-Stein: PF, C
Michael Kidd-Gilcrhist: SF, PF, C
Josh Reaves: SG, SF
Antonius Cleveland: SG, SF
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Re: What's Every Player's Ideal Position? 

Post#2 » by Teffer10 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:59 pm

I've wondered about Maxi playing some SF as well. He's about the only player we have that would have any chance whatsoever guarding LeBron. DFS has the quickness but LeBron is just too damn big and strong. MKG is probably our best option but I don't see him ever becoming a part of the rotation.
Personally I think our best lineup against the Lakers could be Luka/THJ/Maxi/KP/WCS. There is plenty of offense in that lineup and those 3 bigs are mobile and great defenders that could battle the Lakers frontline.

I remember a game when Maxi kept getting switched on Harden earlier this year and he seemed to hold his own pretty well.
I'm not sure Maxi could play 30+ minutes at SF but I think he could do it in spurts.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:25 am

Teffer10 wrote:I've wondered about Maxi playing some SF as well. He's about the only player we have that would have any chance whatsoever guarding LeBron. DFS has the quickness but LeBron is just too damn big and strong. MKG is probably our best option but I don't see him ever becoming a part of the rotation.
Personally I think our best lineup against the Lakers could be Luka/THJ/Maxi/KP/WCS. There is plenty of offense in that lineup and those 3 bigs are mobile and great defenders that could battle the Lakers frontline.

I remember a game when Maxi kept getting switched on Harden earlier this year and he seemed to hold his own pretty well.
I'm not sure Maxi could play 30+ minutes at SF but I think he could do it in spurts.

Yeah, Maxi can get by at SF at times for sure. I'd consider using that lineup you suggested, but obviously, I think DFS, Justin Jackson, and MKG will get time at the 3 too. Well, hey, even THJ if/when the Mavs decide to play with Luka and Curry in the backcourt.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:36 am

Luka/THJ/Kleber/KP/WCS is cool, but I also like Luka/THJ/DFS/Kleber/KP.
If the season does in fact resume, then I'd also consider Luka/THJ/MKG/Kleber/KP
The thing with MKG is that I would like to see him lose a few pounds (maybe 5) and then just attack the rim for floaters, or spot up for Js. Ideally, he cuts to the basket and attacks, lol.

Delon Wright can get by at the 3 too, so Luka/THJ/Delon/Kleber/KP works as well.
But the 3 big, 2 guards lineup is the most intriguing one to me. I really hope they try it out.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Teffer10 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:20 pm

[quote="HairyGOATee":****]Luka/THJ/Kleber/KP/WCS is cool, but I also like Luka/THJ/DFS/Kleber/KP.
If the season does in fact resume, then I'd also consider Luka/THJ/MKG/Kleber/KP
The thing with MKG is that I would like to see him lose a few pounds (maybe 5) and then just attack the rim for floaters, or spot up for Js. Ideally, he cuts to the basket and attacks, lol.

Delon Wright can get by at the 3 too, so Luka/THJ/Delon/Kleber/KP works as well.
But the 3 big, 2 guards lineup is the most intriguing one to me. I really hope they try it out. [/quote:****]

Honestly I don't think we are as far away from contending as most people think.
In fact, I'm not so sure we don't have the right personnel to contend but just need to mature as a team.
THJ's situation is key going forward because I don't think we'll be able to acquire a player of his caliber in FA or through the draft. If we can re-sign him and virtually keep what we have with possibly addressing some areas of need with cheap vets, I think we are almost there.
Luka and KP will get better as individual players as they mature and should become much better as a duo in time. Brunson and DFS are solid young players and Maxi and THJ are just entering their prime. Seth is in his prime, and with his style of game should be able to produce for about 5 more years. Maybe re-sign WCS to a small deal.

We have 2 picks in this draft that will give us an opportunity to hopefully land two solid rotation players for the future. If we land a SG/SF (Green, Nesmith, Vassell, etc....) and a SF/PF (Achiuwa, Stewart, Bey, Smith, etc...) we could be in pretty good shape going forward because we are not starving for stars as much as we are needing players who fit.

So from a long-term perspective I see ideal positions as:

PG: Luka/Brunson/Seth
SG: THJ/(Green, Nesmith, Vassell, etc...)/Reaves/Seth
SF: DFS/(Achiuwa, Stewart, Bey, Smith, etc...)/Reaves/Vet
PF: (Achiuwa, Stewart, Bey, Smith, etc...)/Maxi/DFS/Powell
C: KP/WCS/Powell/Vet or UFA
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#6 » by arkuo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:17 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:Luka/THJ/Kleber/KP/WCS is cool, but I also like Luka/THJ/DFS/Kleber/KP.

But the 3 big, 2 guards lineup is the most intriguing one to me. I really hope they try it out.

In fact, I'm not so sure we don't have the right personnel to contend but just need to mature as a team.
THJ's situation is key going forward because I don't think we'll be able to acquire a player of his caliber in FA or through the draft. If we can re-sign him and virtually keep what we have with possibly addressing some areas of need with cheap vets, I think we are almost there.
Luka and KP will get better as individual players as they mature and should become much better as a duo in time. Brunson and DFS are solid young players and Maxi and THJ are just entering their prime. Seth is in his prime, and with his style of game should be able to produce for about 5 more years. Maybe re-sign WCS to a small deal.

We have 2 picks in this draft that will give us an opportunity to hopefully land two solid rotation players for the future. If we land a SG/SF (Green, Nesmith, Vassell, etc....) and a SF/PF (Achiuwa, Stewart, Bey, Smith, etc...) we could be in pretty good shape going forward because we are not starving for stars as much as we are needing players who fit.

Doubtful Carlisle starts a rookie at PF. Unless we somehow restart those Aaron Gordon trade talks, I think its Maxi Kleber who's starting PF on opening day.

If THJ keeps this up, he's essentially 2006 Jerry Stackhouse for us. We need Jason Terry type of production and shooting around Luka.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Teffer10 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:23 pm

arkuo wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:Luka/THJ/Kleber/KP/WCS is cool, but I also like Luka/THJ/DFS/Kleber/KP.

Doubtful Carlisle starts a rookie at PF. Unless we somehow restart those Aaron Gordon trade talks, I think its Maxi Kleber who's starting PF on opening day.

If THJ keeps this up, he's essentially 2006 Jerry Stackhouse for us. We need Jason Terry type of production and shooting around Luka.

Completely agree about RC not starting a rookie at PF but my point is that we don't necessarily need to add another star caliber player but more like a Marcus Morris type for next season and maybe the next.
The suggested lineup was for our future core and that we don't need to make huge signings or trades to become a true competitor next season. I think we can build this thing organically with our young core and the draft picks. Just add a vet here or there (like Morris) to fill in the gaps through the years.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:10 am

I hope WCS opts in. Give the circumstances right now, it would make some sense, but on the other hand, if he hits the market this offseason, he might get more money. Just depends on how patient he is willing to be and such.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Teffer10 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:56 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:I hope WCS opts in. Give the circumstances right now, it would make some sense, but on the other hand, if he hits the market this offseason, he might get more money. Just depends on how patient he is willing to be and such.

I'll be somewhat shocked if WCS opts in mainly because of Powell.
Even if he can't get more money elsewhere he can get more PT that will allow him to play for a better future contract. If he remains a Mav he will most likely take Boban's role at the end of the bench next season with a great deal of DNP-CD games.

Powell might miss some games at the beginning of next season but everyone knows (including WCS) the unconditional love the Mavs have for Powell and the org will give him every opportunity possible to return to the rotation even if wins are sacrificed in the process. Considering the long-term investment they have in him it probably makes some sense to salvage all they can out of him.

Unfortunately WCS will probably slip from us away because of that situation.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:07 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:I hope WCS opts in. Give the circumstances right now, it would make some sense, but on the other hand, if he hits the market this offseason, he might get more money. Just depends on how patient he is willing to be and such.

I'll be somewhat shocked if WCS opts in mainly because of Powell.
Even if he can't get more money elsewhere he can get more PT that will allow him to play for a better future contract. If he remains a Mav he will most likely take Boban's role at the end of the bench next season with a great deal of DNP-CD games.

Powell might miss some games at the beginning of next season but everyone knows (including WCS) the unconditional love the Mavs have for Powell and the org will give him every opportunity possible to return to the rotation even if wins are sacrificed in the process. Considering the long-term investment they have in him it probably makes some sense to salvage all they can out of him.

Unfortunately WCS will probably slip from us away because of that situation.

You're probably right about that. Good for him if that's the case. The Mavs can always sign back a guy like Mejri for the min if they want. Maybe even give Mejri two 10-Day contracts.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:22 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

Completely agree about RC not starting a rookie at PF but my point is that we don't necessarily need to add another star caliber player but more like a Marcus Morris type for next season and maybe the next.
The suggested lineup was for our future core and that we don't need to make huge signings or trades to become a true competitor next season. I think we can build this thing organically with our young core and the draft picks. Just add a vet here or there (like Morris) to fill in the gaps through the years.

Yeah, Marcus Morris and a guy like Crowder or Harkless would be ideal.

Also, do you think Reaves will actually get a non TWP deal next season?
Finally, what happens to Delon and the two years he has left on his deal?
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Teffer10 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:30 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Yeah, Marcus Morris and a guy like Crowder or Harkless would be ideal.

Also, do you think Reaves will actually get a non TWP deal next season?
Finally, what happens to Delon and the two years he has left on his deal?

If we can sign Morris and Crowder, are able to keep WCS, THJ and Boban and then draft Aaron Nesmith and Patrick Williams, I'd say we'd be a legit contender next season.

I absolutely love Reaves' potential because he is an excellent defender, can handle the ball and even create, is super athletic, and seems to be loaded with confidence. He isn't a bad shooter but needs to improve that part of his game to get to the next level.

I'd be surprised if the Mavs don't move Jackson and Wright in the off season. Neither are a good fit and if we can net a couple 2nd rounders for them along with a useful player I'd say we would do well.

This is what I think our roster should look like next season:

Luka/Brunson/Reaves
THJ/Seth/Nesmith
DFS/Crowder/Williams
Morris/Maxi/Powell
KP/WCS/Boban
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:34 pm

ionno if Reaves is a PG tbh, but Seth can play there a little and maybe the Mavs bring in a vet there since Carlisle loves having 4 PGs.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Teffer10 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:57 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:ionno if Reaves is a PG tbh, but Seth can play there a little and maybe the Mavs bring in a vet there since Carlisle loves having 4 PGs.

Yeah, I think you are right about Carlisle wanting more PGs.
Reaves does have some playmaking skills and is probably better than Seth at that but he is definitely not a true PG. His defense is so good though that I'd hate to see the Mavs give up on him too soon and if we draft Vassell or Nesmith there wouldn't be any other spot for him if THJ sticks around.
Reaves can become a big time disruptor on D and guard PGs that Luka couldn't begin to defend so I'd love to see the Mavs continue to develop him until they are certain his offensive skills will never develop. He isn't a terrible shooter but that is something he really needs to work on.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:54 am

Teffer10 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:ionno if Reaves is a PG tbh, but Seth can play there a little and maybe the Mavs bring in a vet there since Carlisle loves having 4 PGs.

Yeah, I think you are right about Carlisle wanting more PGs.
Reaves does have some playmaking skills and is probably better than Seth at that but he is definitely not a true PG. His defense is so good though that I'd hate to see the Mavs give up on him too soon and if we draft Vassell or Nesmith there wouldn't be any other spot for him if THJ sticks around.
Reaves can become a big time disruptor on D and guard PGs that Luka couldn't begin to defend so I'd love to see the Mavs continue to develop him until they are certain his offensive skills will never develop. He isn't a terrible shooter but that is something he really needs to work on.

Reaves should get some more burn with the Mavericks if possible. Just try to develop him and give him those 45 days worth of time, education, and experience with the big league team.

Return to Dallas Mavericks