ImageImageImage

Smaller Cap Due to Revenue Suspension?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Smaller Cap Due to Revenue Suspension? 

Post#1 » by arkuo » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:38 pm

Anyone else think there will be a smaller 2021 Salary Cap due to smaller revenues this season?

Assuming the league employs a slightly lower cap, it essentially means most of the teams in the league will be near or over the cap. How does this impact the Mavs? We do have a lot of cap friendly deals. Powell, Curry, Wright and even Jackson look like bargain bin finds right now. With Lee expiring, I think we can be players in the trade market.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Re: Smaller Cap Due to Revenue Suspension? 

Post#2 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:08 pm

arkuo wrote:Anyone else think there will be a smaller 2021 Salary Cap due to smaller revenues this season?

Assuming the league employs a slightly lower cap, it essentially means most of the teams in the league will be near or over the cap. How does this impact the Mavs? We do have a lot of cap friendly deals. Powell, Curry, Wright and even Jackson look like bargain bin finds right now. With Lee expiring, I think we can be players in the trade market.

DFS and Kleber are nice cap-friendly deals. A lot of people don't think Powell and Wright are though.

THJ might opt-in, and regardless, the Mavs will want to extend him.

But yes, prolly smaller cap and Mavs will prolly be players in the trade market.

I hope the NBA considers expansion as a way to increase revenues lost from this season. Seattle needs a team bruh.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#3 » by dirkforpres » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:05 pm

Getting max cap space isn’t a problem. Finding a trade partner for guys like Wright, DFS, Kleber, and Powell wouldn’t take long if need be
FIRE JASON KIDD
arkuo
General Manager

Post#4 » by arkuo » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:27 pm

dirkforpres wrote:Getting max cap space isn’t a problem. Finding a trade partner for guys like Wright, DFS, Kleber, and Powell wouldn’t take long if need be

There are lots of teams needing a point guard. Guys like Wright, Curry would be ideal fillers if the centerpiece is Jalen Brunson. The willingness to include Brunson is the question though. Team friendly contract. Young enough to build around. Maybe develops into a nice 3&D point guard. Maybe.

IMO it would be a good time to sell high on guys like Seth. His value will not go beyond what it is now. And begs the question of what lineup would stay competitive in the West today. Say, would simply adding a guy like Otto Porter Jr at PF work? Then we run it back?

It seems like management is clinging to our trade pieces that may go beyond it's trade value. I personally don't want to hold on to Brunson far too long for him to be another Rodrigue Beabios or another Justin Anderson for us.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:53 am

Oh yeah, Brunson is on a cap friendly deal too, of course, and I'm sure the guys the organization drafts this year will be too.......if they keep them.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:55 am

dirkforpres wrote:Getting max cap space isn’t a problem. Finding a trade partner for guys like Wright, DFS, Kleber, and Powell wouldn’t take long if need be

Let's hope they don't have to trade away Kleber.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:59 am

arkuo wrote:

There are lots of teams needing a point guard. Guys like Wright, Curry would be ideal fillers if the centerpiece is Jalen Brunson. The willingness to include Brunson is the question though. Team friendly contract. Young enough to build around. Maybe develops into a nice 3&D point guard. Maybe.

IMO it would be a good time to sell high on guys like Seth. His value will not go beyond what it is now. And begs the question of what lineup would stay competitive in the West today. Say, would simply adding a guy like Otto Porter Jr at PF work? Then we run it back?

It seems like management is clinging to our trade pieces that may go beyond it's trade value. I personally don't want to hold on to Brunson far too long for him to be another Rodrigue Beabios or another Justin Anderson for us.

Seth Curry is money under Carlisle though. The dude played like this towards the end of his first stint with the Mavs, and could shoot the 3 well in Sacramento and Portland. He gets better during the 2nd half of the season and/or as the weather tends to warm up.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#8 » by arkuo » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:52 am

HairyGOATee wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Seth Curry is money under Carlisle though. The dude played like this towards the end of his first stint with the Mavs, and could shoot the 3 well in Sacramento and Portland. He gets better during the 2nd half of the season and/or as the weather tends to warm up.

This is true. And other teams are noticing as well. That means his value is at an all time high. And personally I think it has hit the ceiling in terms of trade value. I mean, Seth will not suddenly develop into a Steph, if you know what I mean. So if they plan to trade high, now is the time.

Or we could just keep Seth, Dwight Powell etc for sentimental reasons and Donnie can find the next all star trade by just using Justin Jackson and Willie Caulie Stein.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by HairyGOATee » Fri May 1, 2020 11:17 pm

arkuo wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
arkuo wrote:

This is true. And other teams are noticing as well. That means his value is at an all time high. And personally I think it has hit the ceiling in terms of trade value. I mean, Seth will not suddenly develop into a Steph, if you know what I mean. So if they plan to trade high, now is the time.

Or we could just keep Seth, Dwight Powell etc for sentimental reasons and Donnie can find the next all star trade by just using Justin Jackson and Willie Caulie Stein.

What kind of haul do you think they can get for Seth? And if he's money under Carlisle and is underpaid, then why not keep him as a part of the team's core? Again, he's consistently shown us that he ups his play for the 2nd half of the season and the playoffs. That's an important type of player to have.

As fro finding another all-star type player, why not keep Seth, but make guys like THJ, Powell, Wright, and Justin Jackson available? Throw in straight cash and draft picks and maybe something can be worked out. Heck, if WCS opts-in, then they can use him, just like you said. Maybe they can S&T Lee too since they have his Bird rights.

If they are getting a guy like Bradley Beal, then sure, include Seth in the deal, but I think they might be able to keep Seth and trade the other guys I mentioned.

But let's not forget that the team could add more depth this offseason through the MLE and they could also make a run in free agency in 2021 if they play their cards correctly.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#10 » by Michaellam1987 » Sat May 2, 2020 4:06 am

Dallas's cap situation is actually quite healthy, IMO, the existing negative or slight negative value contract is Powell's 33m for 3 more years, Wright's 18m for 2 more years, and Jackson's 5m expiring, but we have many players that are under positive or slight positive contracts, such as DFS, Maxi, Seth, Brunson and Boban that will be extremely easy to find team to take away their contracts. Assuming THJ and/or WCS opt out of their contracts, it is very easy to for DAL to generate max cap room in the 2020 summer, instead of waiting to do it in 2021 summer.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by HairyGOATee » Fri May 8, 2020 9:41 pm

Yeah, I think there will be some cap issues now, but the NBA can bounce back by adding some more teams. Seattle is a good first choice, and then I'd go with Vegas.

Return to Dallas Mavericks