ImageImageImage

Where to spend our MLE?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

ACMFFL
Senior
And1: 567

Re: Where to spend our MLE? 

Post#41 » by ACMFFL » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:18 am

What do you think about Millsap? I would like to bring here one between him and Grant.
"All dreams are crazy until they come true."
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#42 » by Mike lorenzo » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:24 pm

ACM_Dirk wrote:What do you think about Millsap? I would like to bring here one between him and Grant.

Both of them would be great, especially Grant for his age, once again I think they will take more than the MLE, I should not opt ​​for THjr, or trade Powell, Delon and Jackson
1+1=11
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#43 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:32 pm

Shouldn't Dallas sit on their hands this offseason when it comes to spending long term money? They would be smart to keep that 2021 cap potential open.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#44 » by Pointguard01 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:23 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Shouldn't Dallas sit on their hands this offseason when it comes to spending long term money? They would be smart to keep that 2021 cap potential open.

Yes we should.

(A) no one we will sign will make a big impact at the MLE level. Dallas’ problem is not depth, we have 12 players who could fit in a 10-man rotation and 7 (of the 8 needed) playoff ready players that would be in shorten rotation. Adding someone else may make us a little better but doesn’t move the needle.
(B) we need to add a 3rd guy. Hardaway is suited for that 4th banana role and KP has to become the #2 guy with the contract we gave him. So either a trade or cap space has to happen. Signing someone this offseason limits our options.

That said, if Dallas were to package some assets (#18, #31) with some of our top 7 rotation players (Brunson, Curry, etc) for an upgrade, then using the MLE to replace that top7 rotation player makes sense. I just have serious doubts we have a trade package that would get us our 3rd banana.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#45 » by HMFFL » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:42 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Shouldn't Dallas sit on their hands this offseason when it comes to spending long term money? They would be smart to keep that 2021 cap potential open.
Our front office should make wise choices and proceed with caution. I don't want us to just wait and hope , because that allows success to skip by. Contracts that aren't to bad can always be moved.
I don't want to see Luka or KP's years wasted by just sitting on our hands every off-season but I also don't want us to close the door on 2021.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#46 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 9, 2020 10:13 pm

I don't want to see Luka or KP's years wasted by just sitting on our hands every off-season but I also don't want us to close the door on 2021.

I was implying only sit on your hands this offseason. Personally, I think using the FRP to move Powell for Zeller would be a great idea. Gain more cap space in 2021 and get a player that could actually contribute a bit. Assuming they keep #31 (1.5M S2 charge) and dont add salary for 2021, they sit at 75.626M + 3.8M in 4 roster cap holds = 79.426. Assuming 125M for the cap and you have 45M in cap space. Not assuming the best (Giannis, Leonard, PG, etc) I would offer Jrue Holiday a deal paying around 35M per season. Can defend both guard spots, knows how to play off ball, reliable secondary ballhandler, excellent motor and can shoot the 3 well enough. That leaves 10M to fill the roster, and ideally it is enough to bring back THJ after they renounce his cap hold. If his play holds up through next season, he would be an ideal 6th man. Then, again after renouncing his cap hold and if he is decent in 2020/21, offer the Room MLE to Cody Zeller to maintain continuity in the locker room.

NOTE: Use 31 on Tyler Bey the fiesty forward defender from Colorado + 2020 SRP on a swing guard

G - Jrue Holiday / Delon Wright / 2021 SRP
G - Seth Curry / Tim Hardaway Jr / 2021 SRP
F - Luka Doncic / Tim Hardaway Jr / Tyler Bey
F - Maxi Kleber / Dorian Finney-Smith / Tyler Bey
C - Kristaps Porzingis / Cody Zeller / Vet Min

That team wins a few chips IMO.
Pointguard01
RealGM

Post#47 » by Pointguard01 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:15 pm

Would love to add Jrue Holiday. He might be the best fit on the market in 2021.

I hate the idea of trading picks to get rid of contracts. Dallas could more easily offload Delon Wright for cap space and have Brunson as the full-time backup. I wouldn’t give our first rounder just to dump Powell.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#48 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:12 pm

I hate the idea of trading picks to get rid of contracts. Dallas could more easily offload Delon Wright for cap space and have Brunson as the full-time backup. I wouldn’t give our first rounder just to dump Powell.

Again, I am an outsider but I dont understand the idea that Wright is anything other than an absolutley elite fit in the long term plans for Dallas. A low usage, near 40% 3PT shooter who can defend both guard positions seems straight up ideal for the 3rd guard. His DBPM is 2nd on the team, his VORP is 2nd on the team, his WS/48 is 3rd (Removed Boban and WCS for small sample size).

Wright just seems like the type of glue guy that does all the small things and helps you tremendously in the playoffs. I think he is much more valuable than the Mavs 2020 FRP, and think they would have to be lucky as hell to get a player of similar fit in 2020's draft. And even then, it would likely take said player 3 seasons to get to Wright's level. To me, Brunson cant hold a candle to Wright.

Powell will take a FRP to move IMO and while under normal circumstances I would scoff and just ride him out (He isnt a net negative or anything when healthy), given that 2021 is the only year Dallas will have to sign a big name before Luka gets paid and negates any chance of that, its a special circumstance and IMO warrants the cost of a FRP to facilitate.

Maybe Charlotte values Brunson and would do Powell, Brunson, #31 for Zeller. I am hesitant on that getting it done though.
Pointguard01
RealGM

Post#49 » by Pointguard01 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:40 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Again, I am an outsider but I dont understand the idea that Wright is anything other than an absolutley elite fit in the long term plans for Dallas. A low usage, near 40% 3PT shooter who can defend both guard positions seems straight up ideal for the 3rd guard. His DBPM is 2nd on the team, his VORP is 2nd on the team, his WS/48 is 3rd (Removed Boban and WCS for small sample size).

Wright just seems like the type of glue guy that does all the small things and helps you tremendously in the playoffs. I think he is much more valuable than the Mavs 2020 FRP, and think they would have to be lucky as hell to get a player of similar fit in 2020's draft. And even then, it would likely take said player 3 seasons to get to Wright's level. To me, Brunson cant hold a candle to Wright.

Powell will take a FRP to move IMO and while under normal circumstances I would scoff and just ride him out (He isnt a net negative or anything when healthy), given that 2021 is the only year Dallas will have to sign a big name before Luka gets paid and negates any chance of that, its a special circumstance and IMO warrants the cost of a FRP to facilitate.

Maybe Charlotte values Brunson and would do Powell, Brunson, #31 for Zeller. I am hesitant on that getting it done though.

It’s a good point, though the 3-Point shooting is misleading, as I do feel Wright passes up open shots so his ability to spread the floor is not accurately represented just by the numbers.

I see it as
- In 2021, currently we have to choose between adding a 3rd guy (Jrue Holiday, Victor Olidipo, etc) and keeping Tim Hardaway. It’s an easy choice if that’s the situation but still has to be made
- If you can clear $8-$11 million in cap space, you could accomplish both potentially.
- It comes down to I’d prefer Brunson + Hardaway over Brunson + Wright every time.

And as I mentioned, unless we are LA/NY, I’ll never like the concept of trading assets (Brunson, 1st, etc) to move salary for a hypothetical future signing (if we’re secured the signing already and the player is 100% signing, that’s a different story).

And, Brunson is in season 2 and easily has the upside to be as good or better than Wright by the time this team is competing for championships.

Return to Dallas Mavericks