ImageImageImage

Should The Mavs Use The MLE This Offseason?

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

Should The Mavs Use The MLE This Offseason?

Yes
6
86%
No
1
14%
 
Total votes: 7

HairyGOATee
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,276
And1: 376
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Should The Mavs Use The MLE This Offseason? 

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Fri May 8, 2020 5:20 am

Should The Mavs Use The MLE This Offseason?

Here's the idea. They can use the MLE to get better and maybe as ammo for a trade during the season. Maybe someone like Bradley Beal, Devin Booker, or Buddy Hield becomes available.

On the flip side, the Mavs could not use it, or just give players 1 year deals, then have enough space in free agency to go after the big fish in 2021.

Players the Mavs could target with the MLE include Maurice Morris, Gallinari, Crowder, Harkless, Dragic, Christian Wood, Josh Jackson, and some others.

What do you all think?
Teffer10
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,843
And1: 438
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
     

Re: Should The Mavs Use The MLE This Offseason? 

Post#2 » by Teffer10 » Fri May 8, 2020 5:36 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:Should The Mavs Use The MLE This Offseason?

Here's the idea. They can use the MLE to get better and maybe as ammo for a trade during the season. Maybe someone like Bradley Beal, Devin Booker, or Buddy Hield becomes available.

On the flip side, the Mavs could not use it, or just give players 1 year deals, then have enough space in free agency to go after the big fish in 2021.

Players the Mavs could target with the MLE include Maurice Morris, Gallinari, Crowder, Harkless, Dragic, Christian Wood, Josh Jackson, and some others.

What do you all think?

I know I'm a little biased on Josh Jackson but I still think this kid could be a difference maker at the NBA level.
I watched him take over and lead a Kansas basketball team that had Frank Mason and Devonte Graham on the roster. Jackson was somewhat compared to Paul George coming out of college and I think he could take his game to another level if he is in the right system and the Mavs could be just that.
We need a strong defensive wing with some size and he checks that box. We need a secondary ball handler and he checks that box. He needs to become a more consistent shooter and get his head on strait but I'd love to see what he could do in a disciplined system like Carlisle's with some good coaching and good players like Luka and KP.
HairyGOATee
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,276
And1: 376
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: Should The Mavs Use The MLE This Offseason? 

Post#3 » by HairyGOATee » Fri May 8, 2020 9:35 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:Should The Mavs Use The MLE This Offseason?

Here's the idea. They can use the MLE to get better and maybe as ammo for a trade during the season. Maybe someone like Bradley Beal, Devin Booker, or Buddy Hield becomes available.

On the flip side, the Mavs could not use it, or just give players 1 year deals, then have enough space in free agency to go after the big fish in 2021.

Players the Mavs could target with the MLE include Maurice Morris, Gallinari, Crowder, Harkless, Dragic, Christian Wood, Josh Jackson, and some others.

What do you all think?

I know I'm a little biased on Josh Jackson but I still think this kid could be a difference maker at the NBA level.
I watched him take over and lead a Kansas basketball team that had Frank Mason and Devonte Graham on the roster. Jackson was somewhat compared to Paul George coming out of college and I think he could take his game to another level if he is in the right system and the Mavs could be just that.
We need a strong defensive wing with some size and he checks that box. We need a secondary ball handler and he checks that box. He needs to become a more consistent shooter and get his head on strait but I'd love to see what he could do in a disciplined system like Carlisle's with some good coaching and good players like Luka and KP.


Yeah, I'd be interested in him for sure, but I think Morris, Gallo, Millsap, Crowder and co. are more ideal targets.
LukstapsDzingic
Ballboy
Posts: 39
And1: 21
Joined: Aug 25, 2019

Re: Should The Mavs Use The MLE This Offseason? 

Post#4 » by LukstapsDzingic » Mon May 11, 2020 3:15 pm

I would definitely use it. I've been a big supporter of cap space, but freeing up max room for 2021 could result in us making no improvements this offseason. Especially with the cap now likely dropping.

I'd rather focus on improving the team/accumulating assets, and then pursue a sign and trade in 2021.
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,558
And1: 505
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: Should The Mavs Use The MLE This Offseason? 

Post#5 » by Darren » Tue May 12, 2020 1:31 am

No, unload Powell, Wright, Jackson and/or Boban for cap rooms which would result in either FVV or Hardaway staying long-term. Unless it's one-year contract with birds' right, it doesn't make sense.

If there's any new addition at all, it has be:
1. 3D player as Hardaway replacement which is highly likely available in draft. I am high on Aaron Nesmith who fits really well with the rest of the roster. If we have to trade up, go for it. I am not high on 31st pick unless we're looking at combo guard.
2. Upgrade over Brunson/Wright. I am fine with Texas native DJ Augustin for 2-3M per. DJ serves JJ replacement better than the duo. The offense is chaotic with the duo this season. The defense is not even good.
3. Powell replacement. I am fine with a small trade. The likely target is Pheonix's Diallo who's underused. A very small signing within 1-2M range is also fine. Maybe a Jalen for Bamba trade is also fine.

Fans keep looking at the past to conclude that no FA wants to join the Mavericks. I think the situation is totally difference. Top FA will truthfully consider joining because of how the roster is constructed.
HairyGOATee
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,276
And1: 376
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: Should The Mavs Use The MLE This Offseason? 

Post#6 » by HairyGOATee » Fri May 15, 2020 6:28 am

LukstapsDzingic wrote:I would definitely use it. I've been a big supporter of cap space, but freeing up max room for 2021 could result in us making no improvements this offseason. Especially with the cap now likely dropping.

I'd rather focus on improving the team/accumulating assets, and then pursue a sign and trade in 2021.


Agreed.
HairyGOATee
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,276
And1: 376
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: Should The Mavs Use The MLE This Offseason? 

Post#7 » by HairyGOATee » Fri May 15, 2020 6:29 am

Darren wrote:No, unload Powell, Wright, Jackson and/or Boban for cap rooms which would result in either FVV or Hardaway staying long-term. Unless it's one-year contract with birds' right, it doesn't make sense.

If there's any new addition at all, it has be:
1. 3D player as Hardaway replacement which is highly likely available in draft. I am high on Aaron Nesmith who fits really well with the rest of the roster. If we have to trade up, go for it. I am not high on 31st pick unless we're looking at combo guard.
2. Upgrade over Brunson/Wright. I am fine with Texas native DJ Augustin for 2-3M per. DJ serves JJ replacement better than the duo. The offense is chaotic with the duo this season. The defense is not even good.
3. Powell replacement. I am fine with a small trade. The likely target is Pheonix's Diallo who's underused. A very small signing within 1-2M range is also fine. Maybe a Jalen for Bamba trade is also fine.

Fans keep looking at the past to conclude that no FA wants to join the Mavericks. I think the situation is totally difference. Top FA will truthfully consider joining because of how the roster is constructed.


3D players like Crowder, Harkless, Mo Morris, and others would be dope. I think Jackson fits the timeline the best, but honestly, it'd be hard to pass on the other 3, because Jackson still raw and might not develop like he does in 2K, lol.
Mike lorenzo
Sophomore
Posts: 151
And1: 23
Joined: May 09, 2020
 

Re: Should The Mavs Use The MLE This Offseason? 

Post#8 » by Mike lorenzo » Fri May 15, 2020 11:17 am

thanks for the information JJ, el, Bamba and A.Robertson minimum, they were my businesses 2021 for my mavs hahahaha
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,558
And1: 505
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: Should The Mavs Use The MLE This Offseason? 

Post#9 » by Darren » Tue May 19, 2020 1:28 am

Gallinari, maybe. In case, a massive paycut is possible. Start over Powell.
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,558
And1: 505
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: Should The Mavs Use The MLE This Offseason? 

Post#10 » by Darren » Tue May 19, 2020 11:43 am

Bogdan Bogdanovic of Sactown should be the one. As a UFA and reduced 30M cap space, I think Bogdanovic is Mavs bound due to the friendship between Bogdan and Doncic. It is easy to move Maxi or Wright's last year contract to keep a max slot for Giannis. Bogdan could be a replacement for Hardaway. The efficiency on offensive end will only improve. 107 off, 113 def is not bad at all. That's means the Mavs save 16M next offseason by signing Bogdan.
HairyGOATee
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,276
And1: 376
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: Should The Mavs Use The MLE This Offseason? 

Post#11 » by HairyGOATee » Wed May 20, 2020 8:03 pm

Darren wrote:Bogdan Bogdanovic of Sactown should be the one. As a UFA and reduced 30M cap space, I think Bogdanovic is Mavs bound due to the friendship between Bogdan and Doncic. It is easy to move Maxi or Wright's last year contract to keep a max slot for Giannis. Bogdan could be a replacement for Hardaway. The efficiency on offensive end will only improve. 107 off, 113 def is not bad at all. That's means the Mavs save 16M next offseason by signing Bogdan.


That'd be so dope.

Return to Dallas Mavericks