ImageImageImage

Who'd you rather "overpay"

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 41,256
And1: 2,855
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#21 » by HMFFL » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:19 pm

deb wrote:Dallas doesn't need a third star imo. Who's the third star on the Lakers or Clippers? Howard and Rondo may have been stars a decade ago, burt aren't now. Is Lou Williams a star? Morris? Beverly or Zubac? What Dallas needs now is better role players to complement KP and Luka. Basically a bunch of versatile 3&D guys with grit.


I would if we could count on KP being 100%.
However, I will happily take the star player, depending which player it is.

As far as role players keep in mind the amount many are paid. Do you support extending Tim Hardaway Jr to a real that pays him $18m-$25m per year?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,286
And1: 4,949
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: Who'd you rather 

Post#22 » by Pinkyring » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:27 am

HMFFL wrote:
deb wrote:Dallas doesn't need a third star imo. Who's the third star on the Lakers or Clippers? Howard and Rondo may have been stars a decade ago, burt aren't now. Is Lou Williams a star? Morris? Beverly or Zubac? What Dallas needs now is better role players to complement KP and Luka. Basically a bunch of versatile 3&D guys with grit.


I would if we could count on KP being 100%.
However, I will happily take the star player, depending which player it is.

As far as role players keep in mind the amount many are paid. Do you support extending Tim Hardaway Jr to a real that pays him $18m-$25m per year?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

No just throw seth in that spot and call it a day
Bluelabel24
Sophomore
Posts: 155
And1: 27
Joined: Feb 03, 2019
   

Re: Who'd you rather 

Post#23 » by Bluelabel24 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:49 am

HMFFL wrote:
deb wrote:Dallas doesn't need a third star imo. Who's the third star on the Lakers or Clippers? Howard and Rondo may have been stars a decade ago, burt aren't now. Is Lou Williams a star? Morris? Beverly or Zubac? What Dallas needs now is better role players to complement KP and Luka. Basically a bunch of versatile 3&D guys with grit.


I would if we could count on KP being 100%.
However, I will happily take the star player, depending which player it is.

As far as role players keep in mind the amount many are paid. Do you support extending Tim Hardaway Jr to a real that pays him $18m-$25m per year?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

right now the answer to KP is no.. we cant count on him being 100% yet(that can still change). He had so much time to rest 5
months off and gets hurt after 8 games. if the goal are rings then we need guys who can withstand the grueling schedule of the playoffs.
as far as THJ's contract to me that depends.. id like them to atleast try to offer than kind of money to guys lika Bam/OG and if those first tier targets says no then go to the next tier where THJ is most likely at. Indiana got Brogdon away from the Bucks at 20m/yr.. to me thats great value. really not a fan of guys like Otto Porter(27m/yr) Whiteside(27m/yr) and T Johnson, guys who managed to bamboozle a franchise into giving them max money and just slacks off afterwards.
User avatar
Pointguard01
RealGM
Posts: 12,848
And1: 221
Joined: Jun 07, 2004

Re: Who'd you rather 

Post#24 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:29 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
deb wrote:Dallas doesn't need a third star imo. Who's the third star on the Lakers or Clippers? Howard and Rondo may have been stars a decade ago, burt aren't now. Is Lou Williams a star? Morris? Beverly or Zubac? What Dallas needs now is better role players to complement KP and Luka. Basically a bunch of versatile 3&D guys with grit.


I would if we could count on KP being 100%.
However, I will happily take the star player, depending which player it is.

As far as role players keep in mind the amount many are paid. Do you support extending Tim Hardaway Jr to a real that pays him $18m-$25m per year?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

No just throw seth in that spot and call it a day


Agreed. I love THJ fit and there seems to be a chemistry between him and Luka/KP (he’s taken on the big brother role), but we can’t pay him that much money. If you can get him for a similar deal to Terrance Ross or Will Barton (ie volume scorers), then that’s ideal. $10-12 mill/yr seems to be the going rate.

BC THJ signed for such a big contract 3-years ago and has been looked at as a negative contract over the last couple of yrs bc of it, I think Dallas could escape with a contract just above the MLE.
leolozon
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,538
And1: 4,428
Joined: Nov 08, 2009

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#25 » by leolozon » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:29 pm

Bam has no business on that list. He's getting the max.

Anunoby I think has the 2nd most potential out of that group. And Mavs need defense probably more than anything else, plus he shot .390 from 3. I think he's going to get a lot of money though.
gottamakeit
Sophomore
Posts: 221
And1: 69
Joined: Jan 08, 2012

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#26 » by gottamakeit » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:12 am

leolozon wrote:Bam has no business on that list. He's getting the max.

Anunoby I think has the 2nd most potential out of that group. And Mavs need defense probably more than anything else, plus he shot .390 from 3. I think he's going to get a lot of money though.


i think we have a good chance of getting OG if he is our priority
HairyGOATee
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,289
And1: 378
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#27 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Sep 5, 2020 8:52 am

Out of the players listed, I'd vote for Bam.
Bluelabel24
Sophomore
Posts: 155
And1: 27
Joined: Feb 03, 2019
   

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#28 » by Bluelabel24 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 10:27 am

gottamakeit wrote:
leolozon wrote:Bam has no business on that list. He's getting the max.

Anunoby I think has the 2nd most potential out of that group. And Mavs need defense probably more than anything else, plus he shot .390 from 3. I think he's going to get a lot of money though.


i think we have a good chance of getting OG if he is our priority

agree here.. Raps cant offer OG a big contract, and they are in dire need of a playmaker. Fvv and Lowry sometimes are more of an undersized SG than a pure PG.
Bam is definitely the 1a guy to target but Heat can offer him max and i think they will/should. Im just really impressed with Miami this year. They got a roster full of tough guys, none of them are soft and everyone is buying into the system. They are dismantling bucks with it.

3 targets id like are:
Jae Crowder- theres a good chance he'd leave miami, they are gonna pay Bam, And the roster is loaded with tough guys already.

Kenny Wooten- another low risk guy that will provide energy, toughness and defense. He was considered among the top shot blockers in college.

OG Anunoby- atleast offer OG, who knows what could happen lol. I dont think he is in same mold of a Otto Porter, a guy who after gets paid slacks off immediately.
User avatar
Pointguard01
RealGM
Posts: 12,848
And1: 221
Joined: Jun 07, 2004

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#29 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Sep 5, 2020 12:23 pm

Bam is an All-Star, MAX player who will be restricted. There is no way we can get him. Miami matches any offer.

Bluelabel24 wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:
leolozon wrote:Bam has no business on that list. He's getting the max.

Anunoby I think has the 2nd most potential out of that group. And Mavs need defense probably more than anything else, plus he shot .390 from 3. I think he's going to get a lot of money though.


i think we have a good chance of getting OG if he is our priority

agree here.. Raps cant offer OG a big contract, and they are in dire need of a playmaker. Fvv and Lowry sometimes are more of an undersized SG than a pure PG.
Bam is definitely the 1a guy to target but Heat can offer him max and i think they will/should. Im just really impressed with Miami this year. They got a roster full of tough guys, none of them are soft and everyone is buying into the system. They are dismantling bucks with it.

3 targets id like are:
Jae Crowder- theres a good chance he'd leave miami, they are gonna pay Bam, And the roster is loaded with tough guys already.

Kenny Wooten- another low risk guy that will provide energy, toughness and defense. He was considered among the top shot blockers in college.

OG Anunoby- atleast offer OG, who knows what could happen lol. I dont think he is in same mold of a Otto Porter, a guy who after gets paid slacks off immediately.


This list is good.

Jae is definitely attainable if you give him a long-term contract. If we did that and were able to move Wright for an expiring, it would be ideal from a cap perspective, as they’d just replace each other’s 2021 salary hold.
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,286
And1: 4,949
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#30 » by Pinkyring » Sat Sep 5, 2020 4:28 pm

Bluelabel24 wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:
leolozon wrote:Bam has no business on that list. He's getting the max.

Anunoby I think has the 2nd most potential out of that group. And Mavs need defense probably more than anything else, plus he shot .390 from 3. I think he's going to get a lot of money though.


i think we have a good chance of getting OG if he is our priority

agree here.. Raps cant offer OG a big contract, and they are in dire need of a playmaker. Fvv and Lowry sometimes are more of an undersized SG than a pure PG.
Bam is definitely the 1a guy to target but Heat can offer him max and i think they will/should. Im just really impressed with Miami this year. They got a roster full of tough guys, none of them are soft and everyone is buying into the system. They are dismantling bucks with it.

3 targets id like are:
Jae Crowder- theres a good chance he'd leave miami, they are gonna pay Bam, And the roster is loaded with tough guys already.

Kenny Wooten- another low risk guy that will provide energy, toughness and defense. He was considered among the top shot blockers in college.

OG Anunoby- atleast offer OG, who knows what could happen lol. I dont think he is in same mold of a Otto Porter, a guy who after gets paid slacks off immediately.

Raps can offer og whatever they want, their whole team is free agents outside siakim, i want 0 parts of crowder for anything above what dfs is making and have no idea who wooten is
gottamakeit
Sophomore
Posts: 221
And1: 69
Joined: Jan 08, 2012

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#31 » by gottamakeit » Sun Sep 6, 2020 3:50 am

Pointguard01 wrote:Bam is an All-Star, MAX player who will be restricted. There is no way we can get him. Miami matches any offer.

Bluelabel24 wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:
i think we have a good chance of getting OG if he is our priority

agree here.. Raps cant offer OG a big contract, and they are in dire need of a playmaker. Fvv and Lowry sometimes are more of an undersized SG than a pure PG.
Bam is definitely the 1a guy to target but Heat can offer him max and i think they will/should. Im just really impressed with Miami this year. They got a roster full of tough guys, none of them are soft and everyone is buying into the system. They are dismantling bucks with it.

3 targets id like are:
Jae Crowder- theres a good chance he'd leave miami, they are gonna pay Bam, And the roster is loaded with tough guys already.

Kenny Wooten- another low risk guy that will provide energy, toughness and defense. He was considered among the top shot blockers in college.

OG Anunoby- atleast offer OG, who knows what could happen lol. I dont think he is in same mold of a Otto Porter, a guy who after gets paid slacks off immediately.


This list is good.

Jae is definitely attainable if you give him a long-term contract. If we did that and were able to move Wright for an expiring, it would be ideal from a cap perspective, as they’d just replace each other’s 2021 salary hold.


i like Jae, but we should try to get a player in the mold of "Jae Crowder player" through the draft. that way we can also get youth and athleticism on this team, rather than aging vets.
Bluelabel24
Sophomore
Posts: 155
And1: 27
Joined: Feb 03, 2019
   

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#32 » by Bluelabel24 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 6:32 am

i like Jae, but we should try to get a player in the mold of "Jae Crowder player" through the draft. that way we can also get youth and athleticism on this team, rather than aging vets.


I think we should/ can do both.. i havent scouted this draft yet maybe Isaac Okoro can be that guy. the issue here is that we are in dire need of a tough guy who can defend and be an enforcer.
thats a lot to put on a rookie that would probably take 2-3yrs or more.
on my earlier post i suggested signing Kenny Wooten because there's minimal pressure at that spot, even if he becomes a bust its not gonna greatly affect the team. But if we draft a 3nD prospect and turns out to be a bust, thats gonna greatly impact the timing of the team.
Bluelabel24
Sophomore
Posts: 155
And1: 27
Joined: Feb 03, 2019
   

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#33 » by Bluelabel24 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 6:43 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Bluelabel24 wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:
i think we have a good chance of getting OG if he is our priority

agree here.. Raps cant offer OG a big contract, and they are in dire need of a playmaker. Fvv and Lowry sometimes are more of an undersized SG than a pure PG.
Bam is definitely the 1a guy to target but Heat can offer him max and i think they will/should. Im just really impressed with Miami this year. They got a roster full of tough guys, none of them are soft and everyone is buying into the system. They are dismantling bucks with it.

3 targets id like are:
Jae Crowder- theres a good chance he'd leave miami, they are gonna pay Bam, And the roster is loaded with tough guys already.

Kenny Wooten- another low risk guy that will provide energy, toughness and defense. He was considered among the top shot blockers in college.

OG Anunoby- atleast offer OG, who knows what could happen lol. I dont think he is in same mold of a Otto Porter, a guy who after gets paid slacks off immediately.

Raps can offer og whatever they want, their whole team is free agents outside siakim, i want 0 parts of crowder for anything above what dfs is making and have no idea who wooten is

Og is definetely a long shot compared to Jae. But at least try and offer.
Wooten is a g league all defensive team. extremely athletic and can defend. still pretty young at 22.
User avatar
Pointguard01
RealGM
Posts: 12,848
And1: 221
Joined: Jun 07, 2004

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#34 » by Pointguard01 » Sun Sep 6, 2020 11:16 am

gottamakeit wrote:i like Jae, but we should try to get a player in the mold of "Jae Crowder player" through the draft. that way we can also get youth and athleticism on this team, rather than aging vets.


If it was that easy, we’d do it. There’s no doubt we are looking at wings at #18 and #31 but you have roughly a 30% chance that the player ends up being a real 8-man rotation player after the top-10.

Jae is definitely not perfect but he’s the bare minimum of an impact player. If you go for lesser players (ie a Jamycheal Green), their role/impact are likely less as that enforcer. He’s 30 so not a perfect player but I don’t think we can be picky this offseason.
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,286
And1: 4,949
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#35 » by Pinkyring » Sun Sep 6, 2020 4:28 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:i like Jae, but we should try to get a player in the mold of "Jae Crowder player" through the draft. that way we can also get youth and athleticism on this team, rather than aging vets.


If it was that easy, we’d do it. There’s no doubt we are looking at wings at #18 and #31 but you have roughly a 30% chance that the player ends up being a real 8-man rotation player after the top-10.

Jae is definitely not perfect but he’s the bare minimum of an impact player. If you go for lesser players (ie a Jamycheal Green), their role/impact are likely less as that enforcer. He’s 30 so not a perfect player but I don’t think we can be picky this offseason.

He's going to probably get the mle and he id worth that and would be a backup here, we have enough backups making near 8 figures we don't need more, at some point we need value contracts
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,626
And1: 624
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#36 » by arkuo » Sun Sep 6, 2020 4:40 pm

If Dallas keeps handing out these 10-15M contracts they'd have a ton of role players filling up their cap space. The in-between spending is good in some cases, but personally I prefer if you combine the money and sign some player who moves the needle. You dont get a trophy for the most money saved. there is no award for the best financially managed team. Dont save money for Cuban. That's his banker's job. His funds can probably last 5 pandemics and still be a millionaire.

The amount they paid for Powell + Delon Wright + Kleber should be enough for a max level star. Now we wait for 3 years for them to clear the books.
User avatar
Pointguard01
RealGM
Posts: 12,848
And1: 221
Joined: Jun 07, 2004

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#37 » by Pointguard01 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 2:05 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:i like Jae, but we should try to get a player in the mold of "Jae Crowder player" through the draft. that way we can also get youth and athleticism on this team, rather than aging vets.


If it was that easy, we’d do it. There’s no doubt we are looking at wings at #18 and #31 but you have roughly a 30% chance that the player ends up being a real 8-man rotation player after the top-10.

Jae is definitely not perfect but he’s the bare minimum of an impact player. If you go for lesser players (ie a Jamycheal Green), their role/impact are likely less as that enforcer. He’s 30 so not a perfect player but I don’t think we can be picky this offseason.

He's going to probably get the mle and he id worth that and would be a backup here, we have enough backups making near 8 figures we don't need more, at some point we need value contracts


DFS, Curry and Kleber are all value contracts. They all have positive trade value.

Unless you are thinking minimum contracts guys, it’s quite hard to get really good role players that are paid 7-mill/yr.

Is there any suggestions of better valued FAs to go after?
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,286
And1: 4,949
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#38 » by Pinkyring » Mon Sep 7, 2020 2:10 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
If it was that easy, we’d do it. There’s no doubt we are looking at wings at #18 and #31 but you have roughly a 30% chance that the player ends up being a real 8-man rotation player after the top-10.

Jae is definitely not perfect but he’s the bare minimum of an impact player. If you go for lesser players (ie a Jamycheal Green), their role/impact are likely less as that enforcer. He’s 30 so not a perfect player but I don’t think we can be picky this offseason.

He's going to probably get the mle and he id worth that and would be a backup here, we have enough backups making near 8 figures we don't need more, at some point we need value contracts


DFS, Curry and Kleber are all value contracts. They all have positive trade value.

Unless you are thinking minimum contracts guys, it’s quite hard to get really good role players that are paid 7-mill/yr.

Is there any suggestions of better valued FAs to go after?

Dfs is a value contract curry and kleber are paid in their correct neighborhood as for free agents id rather make trades frankly, ive mentioned multiple times moving wright for thad young i like that deal or packaging wright with 31 for gay. There are ways to improve this roster beyond overpaying another role player long term.
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,626
And1: 624
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#39 » by arkuo » Mon Sep 7, 2020 2:14 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:He's going to probably get the mle and he id worth that and would be a backup here, we have enough backups making near 8 figures we don't need more, at some point we need value contracts


DFS, Curry and Kleber are all value contracts. They all have positive trade value.

Unless you are thinking minimum contracts guys, it’s quite hard to get really good role players that are paid 7-mill/yr.

Is there any suggestions of better valued FAs to go after?

Dfs is a value contract curry and kleber are paid in their correct neighborhood as for free agents id rather make trades frankly, ive mentioned multiple times moving wright for thad young i like that deal or packaging wright with 31 for gay. There are ways to improve this roster beyond overpaying another role player long term.



Count me in the Wright for Thad Young trade. Plus maybe Paul Milsap signs for the MLE. Wishful thinking.
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,286
And1: 4,949
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: Who'd you rather "overpay" 

Post#40 » by Pinkyring » Mon Sep 7, 2020 2:18 pm

arkuo wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
DFS, Curry and Kleber are all value contracts. They all have positive trade value.

Unless you are thinking minimum contracts guys, it’s quite hard to get really good role players that are paid 7-mill/yr.

Is there any suggestions of better valued FAs to go after?

Dfs is a value contract curry and kleber are paid in their correct neighborhood as for free agents id rather make trades frankly, ive mentioned multiple times moving wright for thad young i like that deal or packaging wright with 31 for gay. There are ways to improve this roster beyond overpaying another role player long term.



Count me in the Wright for Thad Young trade. Plus maybe Paul Milsap signs for the MLE. Wishful thinking.

U sign milsap then u gotta move maxi because he's a low grade milsap and u dont need him making 9m a season to play 18-20 minutes

Return to Dallas Mavericks