ImageImageImage

Carlisle and defense?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Alyosha12
Analyst
And1: 178

Carlisle and defense? 

Post#1 » by Alyosha12 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:05 am

Hey Mavs fans. A Slovenian guy here, who started following the Mavs because of Luka, obviously.

I really like the team and the why Carlisle coaches,and he seems to be a genius offensive coach, who knows how to get everything he can out of a player, and only the best coaches in the league know how to do that. However i have noticed the Mavs kind of suck at defense and getting stops.

What I was wondering is, is it just a current personnel thing or does Carlisle not coach defense well? TBH i don't remember the Mavs ever being known to be a great defensive team, that is why i am asking.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Re: Carlisle and defense? 

Post#2 » by agentofatlas » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:40 am

Alyosha12 wrote:Hey Mavs fans. A Slovenian guy here, who started following the Mavs because of Luka, obviously.

I really like the team and the why Carlisle coaches,and he seems to be a genius offensive coach, who knows how to get everything he can out of a player, and only the best coaches in the league know how to do that. However i have noticed the Mavs kind of suck at defense and getting stops.

What I was wondering is, is it just a current personnel thing or does Carlisle not coach defense well? TBH i don't remember the Mavs ever being known to be a great defensive team, that is why i am asking.

He coached the Pistons and Pacers before and they were both great defensively under his helm.

RC will play to the strengths of the roster.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#3 » by arkuo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:54 am

It's lack of personnel. Defensive personnel. His only defensive shut down guy is DFS who is also a one way player. That means he cant score much or create his own shot on the opposite end. Dallas needs a 2 way wing to maximize those minutes. THJ isnt a defender also by any means but he tries.

Like I said, if this was the 1987 Chicago Bulls with Paxon and company, they need to build on this and carry it over to the 1993 Bulls with Kerr, Armstrong and Kukoc. And hopefully a Dennis Rodman. Keep Doncic and get the right fitting pieces around him.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,556

Post#4 » by jpengland » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:31 am

We just don't have the wing stoppers. There's also a rim protection hole without KP.

Carlisle is master of playing to his teams strengths.
Alyosha12
Analyst
And1: 178

Post#5 » by Alyosha12 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:03 pm

jpengland wrote:We just don't have the wing stoppers. There's also a rim protection hole without KP.

Carlisle is master of playing to his teams strengths.

I don't know if its only a wing stopper issue tbh. The way i see it, the team rarely rotates well, and is pretty poor on switches. This could also be a personnel issue, like i said, and most of you answered, and i hope that is the case. Because the team has maxed out its offense IMO. They only growth this team has is on the other end of the floor.

Return to Dallas Mavericks