ImageImageImage

"You Gotta Look for a Charles Oakley or a Dennis Rodman" - Antoine Walker

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

arkuo
Lead Assistant
And1: 626

Post#1 » by arkuo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:54 pm

Seems like a need that has been resonating among NBA analysts and former players.

- Preferably a forward
- Preferably amenable to take a 1 + 1deal (2nd year team option)

We've seen previous discussions. Let's consolidate them here.

- Jae Crowder (FA)
- Paul Milsap (FA)
- Thad Young (via trade)
- Kelly Olynyk - known dirty player (PO -FA)
- Jae Crowder (FA)
- Derrick Favors (FA)
- Julius Randle (via trade - will cost a lot)
- Bobby Portis (TO - known dirty player)
- Tristan Thompson (FA)
- Steven Adams (via trade - questionable fit)
- Aron Baynes (FA)
- Alex Len (FA)
- Serge Ibaka (FA)
- Joe Ingles (via trade)
- Marcus Morris (FA - not impossible)
arkuo
Lead Assistant
And1: 626

Re: "You Gotta Look for a Charles Oakley or a Dennis Rodman" - Antoine Walker 

Post#2 » by arkuo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:02 pm

I actually like Bobby freakin Portis. Only 25 years old, career 36% shooter from 3, legit 6'11, and is crazy enough to punch even a teammate.

If you can fleece the Knicks again, and take Portis and have them add Kevin Knox to the deal, I'll take it. Send back Powell + Wright + #18
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 3,028

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:53 pm

I agree we need someone, but I'm disappointed that we current don't have a role played that was willing to confront Morris, so me that speaks volumes too.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Mr B
Head Coach
And1: 1,445

Post#4 » by Mr B » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:45 pm

arkuo wrote:I actually like Bobby freakin Portis. Only 25 years old, career 36% shooter from 3, legit 6'11, and is crazy enough to punch even a teammate.

If you can fleece the Knicks again, and take Portis and have them add Kevin Knox to the deal, I'll take it. Send back Powell + Wright + #18

I would be all over a deal like that for the Mavs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heezzi
Senior
And1: 224

Post#5 » by Heezzi » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:51 am

arkuo wrote:Seems like a need that has been resonating among NBA analysts and former players.

- Preferably a forward
- Preferably amenable to take a 1 + 1deal (2nd year team option)

We've seen previous discussions. Let's consolidate them here.

- Jae Crowder (FA)
- Paul Milsap (FA)
- Thad Young (via trade)
- Kelly Olynyk - known dirty player (PO -FA)
- Jae Crowder (FA)
- Derrick Favors (FA)
- Julius Randle (via trade - will cost a lot)
- Bobby Portis (TO - known dirty player)
- Tristan Thompson (FA)
- Steven Adams (via trade - questionable fit)
- Aron Baynes (FA)
- Alex Len (FA)
- Serge Ibaka (FA)
- Joe Ingles (via trade)
- Marcus Morris (FA - not impossible)

Maybe
No.
No.
No
Maybe.
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,527

Post#6 » by zimpy27 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:15 am

Why not look at Harrell? He's a vocal, high-energy guy that works on the inside letting KP stay out on the perimeter.

S+T options are around but you may have to pay high to get a 1-year deal only if you want space in 2021.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Mr B
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Mr B » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:40 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Why not look at Harrell? He's a vocal, high-energy guy that works on the inside letting KP stay out on the perimeter.

S+T options are around but you may have to pay high to get a 1-year deal only if you want space in 2021.

I would love Harrell on this team if the price is right. It would have to be through a trade. I would also love Jeremi Grant though. If the Mavs could find a way to pull off two separate sign and trades where they send out Powell, Wright, Brunson, that would be ideal for me.

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: 

Post#8 » by zimpy27 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:32 pm

Mr B wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Why not look at Harrell? He's a vocal, high-energy guy that works on the inside letting KP stay out on the perimeter.

I would love Harrell on this team if the price is right. It would have to be through a trade. I would also love Jeremi Grant though. If the Mavs could find a way to pull off two separate sign and trades where they send out Powell, Wright, Brunson, that would be ideal for me.

Harrell could certainly be had in an S+T for that package.
Mr B
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Mr B » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:21 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Powell and the Golden St pick (31 I think) for Harrell?

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: 

Post#10 » by zimpy27 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:26 pm

Mr B wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Mr B wrote:I would love Harrell on this team if the price is right. It would have to be through a trade. I would also love Jeremi Grant though. If the Mavs could find a way to pull off two separate sign and trades where they send out Powell, Wright, Brunson, that would be ideal for me.

Powell and Brunson for Harrell I'd say. They would covet Brunson. Powell offers some C. No chance on getting Grant, Denver will wrap that up. Barton will be more achievable.
Mr B
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Mr B » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:36 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Powell and Brunson for Harrell I'd say. They would covet Brunson. Powell offers some C. No chance on getting Grant, Denver will wrap that up. Barton will be more achievable.

I’d still do that trade even if they couldn’t get Grant. I would still try for a sign and trade for Grant or Crowder though. Wright and draft picks (and Maxi if necessary) being the pieces going out. They would need WCS to opt in.

Do you or anyone else think the Mavs could sign and trade Wright/draft picks for a resigned Grant or resigned Crowder?

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: 

Post#12 » by zimpy27 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:42 pm

Mr B wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Mr B wrote:Powell and the Golden St pick (31 I think) for Harrell?

I’d still do that trade even if they couldn’t get Grant. I would still try for a sign and trade for Grant or Crowder though. Wright and draft picks (and Maxi if necessary) being the pieces going out. They would need WCS to opt in.

Do you or anyone else think the Mavs could sign and trade Wright/draft picks for a resigned Grant or resigned Crowder?

Unlikely. Harkless might be the best target.
reflex35
Pro Prospect
And1: 510

Post#13 » by reflex35 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:42 pm

My vote goes for Bobby "Mirotic puncher" Portis.

Still a young guy...

Still can do damage with his fists and dirty plays and still has no head. Haha

Will be a great protector of Luka.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 517

Re: 

Post#14 » by Darren » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:22 pm

Mr B wrote:

That's exactly what I am thinking. If the Mavs were to open up significant cap room, maybe it's better for now than next season. So something like Wright + Kleber to GSW for TE + next available 1st may entice me. I expect the Mavs to be forerunner at Grant and FVV. As Giannis and AD likely to stay put, the Mavs is better off moving on and build a team to beat LA / MIA / GSW, therefore, the Mavs must be able to matchup with these teams, Grant sounds just right against any of them. As Grant looking towards opting out, the Mavs has legitimate chance landing Jerami Grant. I think Grant is actually better than Aaron Gordon as a fit. Don't bother about overpaying. More likely than not, the Mavs would be able to find elite defender and combo guard with 1st or 2nd on cheap contract, securing a 4 who's able to matchup with those team may worth the investment. The Mavs need to overpay to pry FA away from current team. Maybe eventually, the Mavs could force a snt between Curry + Powell + filler + pick and Grant (20M) + filler. If Grant is able to guard 1-5 and hits more than 36% from 3P range, Grant is already better than Matrix. Instead of overpaying, I think people are undervaluing Jerami Grant.
SOUNDCHASER
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#15 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:19 pm

If WCS stays we save the money it would take to replace him so you can then go after talented guys in free agency. I see WCS as a potential stud if he can rebound and defend well enough to allow KP to focus more on the other end.

Grant at SF would toughen us up but DFS is no slouch now that we have developed him to where he is hitting 3 pointers at almost the same rate as Grant.

Playing Grant like we did Matrix is the idea for sure. He is not as potent of a threat on offense but we need a defender.

Curry is almost at Jason Terry level with his shooting skills.

Luka is Kidd and then some.

Getting a guy to play Tyson would be neat but WCS is ok if he can up his game some. Our center rotation is looking good in terms of how the game is played now.

We do need a tougher SG to play Deshawn's part.

Grant is a bit of a dream to think he would want to leave because I bet Denver over pays him to keep him around.

Not sure I like the thought of overpaying for anyone in this free agency and I might rather pick a similar guy in the draft if one is still available when we pick. The 2nd rounder can probably get you a decent center to add to our depth and get us a tough guy that can bang.

I would go after a SF with 18 and a center at 31.

Return to Dallas Mavericks