Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Free Agency 2020 

Post#1 » by JJP » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:52 pm

*There is no topic for this currently.

Free Agency begins Friday, November 20, at 5PM CST

Several undrafted players are being picked up today. The Mavs picked up undrafted Nate Hinton. This is from Bleacherreport

Post-draft update: Signing with Dallas Mavericks

Posting 8.7 rebounds per game as a 6'5" guard is what elevates Nate Hinton. He has a unique motor and nose for the ball, which translates to boards and defensive plays.

But Hinton also shot 38.7 percent from three with a smooth stroke. He demonstrates textbook rhythm and footwork getting into a shot that's easy to buy translating.

He's limited elsewhere, and teams didn't love the fact that he doesn't offer much creation. But in the right three-and-D role, Hinton's shooting, instincts and hustle could work well for a team like the Mavericks.

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: Free Agency 

Post#2 » by arkuo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:21 pm

Ersan Ilyasova got waived today. Vet minimum candidate?
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,564

Post#3 » by jpengland » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:30 pm

Nate Hinton is a great pick up. Carlisle will love him.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by JJP » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:36 pm

arkuo wrote:Ersan Ilyasova got waived today. Vet minimum candidate?

That thought crossed my mind. With WCS opting out, KP and Powell slow coming back, I think I'd do this if he was dirt cheap. He does stretch the floor with his perimeter shot.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,858

Post#5 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:53 am

Some interesting observations:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
/photo/1
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#6 » by JD45 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:16 am

I don't think the Mavs need any more SGs.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:23 am

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/11/19/bogdan-bogdanovic-believes-he-can-get-18-million-per-season/

seems a bit steep but maybe he'd take less playing with his good friend
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#8 » by Darren » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:28 am

I think the Mavs will look at Tyson Chandler, Dwight Howard or JaVale McGee. Another rotation shot-blocker doesn't required long-term contract is wanted. KP and Powell is injuried. Boban can't jump much. That's left the Mavs very thin up front with only Kleber as shot-blocker. The Mavs allows too much point in paint last season. Without KP and Powell around, the situation could be even worser. I don't know what to expect from Tyler Bey, who's only 6-7. As the Mavs traded Curry to create 8M cap space. I think the Mavs won't want to mesh with the plan.

I expect the Mavs to continue to unload unfitting pieces like Wright, Jackson and Brunson, though. For example, I'm fine with Aminu, Bamba for DFS, Wright, Brunson and some combination of 2nd rounders deal. Orlando gets a replacement to Issacc's absent in DFS. The Mavs get a rotation big who can defend upfront a little in Aminu. Getting in Texas native Mo Bamba surely help. Meanwhile for Orlando, Brunson would be welcomed addition. So is Wright. I don't know how Orlando thinks of Bamba, though. I expect Jackson to be waived in case the Mavs finds a better fit with veteran minimum. Broekhoff is the first player I can think of.

C - KP / Bamba / Boban
PF - Kleber / Aminu / Powell
SF - J-Rich / Bey / Broekhoff?
SG - Hardaway / Terry / Green
PG - Doncic / Burke? / Barea?

Hardaway could be included easily for the right piece, either as expiring FA or as long-term starter on reasonable term.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#9 » by Apz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:41 am

Csnt see us trade dfs unkess we get great value. Not like any of the new can go in and do his job.

Maybe that gillespie guy we signed can covr for awhile.

Imagine carlisle in training trying to teach 5 rookies at the same time...
arkuo
General Manager

Post#10 » by arkuo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:13 am

Apz wrote:

I think RC has assistants to train those guys for summer camp. That new guy we got from Utah will be highly motivated. New job, new city, new rookies. If he can make Tyler Bey better than Royce O'Neale then that should bode well.

With Richardson here, DFS is looking at a bench role. If he averages 8 points a game playing 30 mins, he will have diminished value playing 15 to 20. Better to sell high IMO. I dont want to be the guy handing DFS a $15M per year check when the time comes to re-sign him rather than letting him walk. Better to sell high now than be the sucker team who will overpay at full price.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#11 » by BlueSan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:51 am

Where is the rush though. One more year....
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by JJP » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:04 pm

arkuo wrote:
Apz wrote:

I think RC has assistants to train those guys for summer camp. That new guy we got from Utah will be highly motivated. New job, new city, new rookies. If he can make Tyler Bey better than Royce O'Neale then that should bode well.

With Richardson here, DFS is looking at a bench role. If he averages 8 points a game playing 30 mins, he will have diminished value playing 15 to 20. Better to sell high IMO. I dont want to be the guy handing DFS a $15M per year check when the time comes to re-sign him rather than letting him walk. Better to sell high now than be the sucker team who will overpay at full price.

DFS will not be playing 15-20 mpg. Richardson only averages 30 mpg, and there will be times when both players will be on the floor together. Green will not be playing in any kind of rotation yet - this season there's almost no training camp, so he won't be tasked with any regular responsibilities as the season starts. He will likely have something akin to Justin Jackson minutes at first. His minutes will be irregular.

DFS is a good athlete, on a great salary, who can slot in several places. He was averaging 24 mpg before last season. It moved to 29 mpg last season. It will likely move back to 24 mpg if Richardson starts. That's a good spot for a guy of his caliber.

In a position-less basketball program as this one is becoming, a guy like DFS is valuable whether he starts or not. Just my 2 cents.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#13 » by arkuo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:15 pm

JJP wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Apz wrote:

DFS will not be playing 15-20 mpg. Richardson only averages 30 mpg, and there will be times when both players will be on the floor together. Green will not be playing in any kind of rotation yet - this season there's almost no training camp, so he won't be tasked with any regular responsibilities as the season starts. He will likely have something akin to Justin Jackson minutes at first. His minutes will be irregular.

DFS is a good athlete, on a great salary, who can slot in several places. He was averaging 24 mpg before last season. It moved to 29 mpg last season. It will likely move back to 24 mpg if Richardson starts. That's a good spot for a guy of his caliber.

In a position-less basketball program as this one is becoming, a guy like DFS is valuable whether he starts or not. Just my 2 cents.

We know this. Im with you on DFS's value. However I feel that DFS is a Dwight Powell contract waiting to happen. And I dont want Dallas to pay that kind of amount to a role player like they did with Powell, Kleber, Delon Wright etc. Hence the idea of selling high on him as I dont see DFS turning in Paul George or Tj Warren. He is what he is at this point.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by JJP » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:17 pm

Why would you sell him at all? He's being paid as a rotation player, and that's what he will be - and he's good at it. He knows the system, is well-liked, and is contract ends in 2022. He will have been a huge bargain and will still be in his 20s.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#15 » by arkuo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:21 pm

JJP wrote:Why would you sell him at all?

Because like a stock, it's just paper gains. You only cash in when you sell.

His contract is small enough to be packaged and combined with say, Delon Wright or Powell to get some real help at PF. The idea is to trade for a PF, not sign someone outright which would limit our plans for 2021.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by JJP » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:45 pm

OK, well if it were Gallinaro in a sign and trade then maybe. I get that.

But there's really only a few PF types that I can imagine that would be worthy of including DFS. And really none that I've heard rumors about. My point being that DFS is more valuable to us than to another team. So this would need to be more than a minor upgrade to get me to trade him.

We are actually acquiring players like DFS currently, so he seems like the last piece I would trade.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#17 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:28 pm

No reason to trade DFS now and Bey is a good pick up but all these rookies have to earn their minutes first. I have high hopes that Bey will become a good fit but he is a 36th pick in this draft not a top 10 pick for a reason. Terry likewise is a 31st pick and even Green is only an 18th pick. We need to see what these guys can do first.

J Rich is a proven commodity and should start day one at SG or SF. DFS may be paired with J Rich in the starting lineup. THJ may be coming off the bench.

PG is going to be tough to figure out. Burke JJB and Wright are all PG's add in Brunson and Terry to the keepers list and now we have 3 if Luka is considered a PG. Wright can possibly be considered a SG but that position is also crowded. THJ, Josh Green, J Rich, that is 3. Wright makes it 4. JJB is likely retired to coaching and Burke is odd man out and someone I wanted to see kept, based on how he played in the playoffs.

1 and 2 are filled up and some assets could be parts of trades.

SF is DFS, Bey, Jackson and JJ is more than likely on the move if the team can find him a new home. Ryan is a good guy to bring in if you need another SF but J Rich and THJ have size enough to play SF in certain situations. Green may also play some at SF.

OPTIONS AT PF FREE AGENCY. We have 1 healthy PF's with size Kleber. We can use undersized DFS at PF and probably we can use that unsigned rookie from Baylor. Maybe Powell will be able to play faster. When there are good free agents you need to get someone who can bang and hit 3's.

It would be nice to have a good Center option behind Boban and KP since we now lack KP for the start of the season.

Resigning WCS is a must if you ask me unless you have another option that would make more sense. I would love to have a center that can start other than KP so we can use KP as a PF.

Ibaka is expensive but what else is out there?

Would have been nice to have drafted a big.

Trades take assets. I means last season we took WCS off the kings for chump change so I think we are able to do things still if we just try and so I am going to have patience and hope we do not overpay or trade away anyone we want to keep.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,035

Post#18 » by daoneandonly » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:36 pm

I'd imagine, or maybe hope the starting lineup would be

Luka
J-Rich
THJ
DFS
Porzingis
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#19 » by JJP » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:50 pm

It's possible the Mavs have been planning to re-sign WCS all along. It's possible they like him and realize he's under-paid. They would only need to add a few hundred thousand to his current contract... so they could still use most of their MLE and still re-sign him if he's still available.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:58 pm

daoneandonly wrote:I'd imagine, or maybe hope the starting lineup would be

Luka
J-Rich
THJ
DFS
Porzingis

That would mean no more significant additions. I think RC and Donnie were both very clear that we're "nowhere near done". Hopefully this will look better than that in a few weeks.

Return to Dallas Mavericks