Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: Free Agency 

Post#301 » by arkuo » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:34 pm

Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:If they ended up going after Isaac (I agree would be a perfect fit) I would also make a play for Evan Fournier. This team so far still needs an elite shooter at the wing position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the Mavs go for Isaac that only means Miami has their hands on Giannis. and If that's the case, I'd drop Fournier and just sign Duncan Robinson who is a RFA as well. Miami wont have space to get everyone back, and sign Butler, Bam and Giannis all on max contracts. Somehow guys like Nunn, Robinson will have to slip between the cracks. And they seem to be high value guys.

Actually I’m assuming Giannis signs the super max and stays in Milwaukee. If Giannis leaves I think he’s coming to Dallas.

Agreed. I dont think even Giannis knows what he wants to do at this point. I think it's just wait and see then decide later for him.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#302 » by JD45 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 9:27 pm

Sometimes the best free agent signings are the ones you don't make.

Kemba Walker out with "knee soreness" (aka osteoarthritis). Getting stem cell therapy (aka placebo) treatment and expected to be out until January.

3 more years at $34+ mil per year left on his contract. The Mavs are lucky not to have that albatross around their neck.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#303 » by HMFFL » Tue Dec 1, 2020 11:49 pm

Kellan Olson: Crowder said he wasn’t able to envision himself as a long-term fit in the other teams he was hearing from in free agency. Crowder confirms it was Dallas offering him more money.

Kellan Olson: Jae Crowder said the main reason he came to Phoenix was to play with Devin Booker, who he recognized as a top talent in the league and has proven himself across the league now as being just that.

– via Twitter KellanOlson

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#304 » by BlueSan » Wed Dec 2, 2020 12:10 am

He is correct.

I bet they were offering 1+1 (team option) next season they want to have "free" hands. I also think he picked well

Suns

PG - CP himself
SG - Booker
SF - Mikal Bridges (love the dude, was sad Dallas didnt get him in some trade)
PF - Crowder
C - Ayton

That is one scary team.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,830

Post#305 » by dirkforpres » Wed Dec 2, 2020 12:11 am

HMFFL wrote:Kellan Olson: Crowder said he wasn’t able to envision himself as a long-term fit in the other teams he was hearing from in free agency. Crowder confirms it was Dallas offering him more money.

Kellan Olson: Jae Crowder said the main reason he came to Phoenix was to play with Devin Booker, who he recognized as a top talent in the league and has proven himself across the league now as being just that.

Not buying it. Why supposedly pass up more money to play for a historically cheap owner and next to an inferior talent than Luka in Booker...

I think he’s just got a grudge over being traded from here the first time. He should’ve just said that.
FIRE JASON KIDD
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#306 » by JJP » Wed Dec 2, 2020 1:27 am

dirkforpres wrote:

Not buying it. Why supposedly pass up more money to play for a historically cheap owner and next to an inferior talent than Luka in Booker...

I think he’s just got a grudge over being traded from here the first time. He should’ve just said that.

I read that article and thought there may be some mis-representation. What's more likely is that the Mavericks offered him more money for one year - the full MLE. Crowder took a longer deal. While the first year was less money, the long-term contract is clearly more attractive at his age.

There's no reason to think the Mavericks offered Crowder more than a year given that they made absolutely sure to keep their books clear for next season.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#307 » by Mr B » Wed Dec 2, 2020 3:02 am

dirkforpres wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Kellan Olson: Crowder said he wasn’t able to envision himself as a long-term fit in the other teams he was hearing from in free agency. Crowder confirms it was Dallas offering him more money.

Yea I think he’s still a little salty from being traded by the Mavs before. And he also probably realized that there is a good chance he would be traded again sometime over the next 3 seasons.

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#308 » by arkuo » Wed Dec 2, 2020 5:17 am

https://clutchpoints.com/suns-news-devin-booker-the-reason-jae-crowder-signed-with-phoenix-despite-mavs-offering-more-money/

Seens like we offered the full MLE to Crowder but got turned down. So we signed a bunch of guys instead. Iwundu. Barea. And Burke.
mcdworld
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#309 » by mcdworld » Wed Dec 2, 2020 10:18 am

Hi! I'm new here but following this forum more than 5 years.
I think Dallas offered like 12m/per year or 12+12(team option) or max 15+15(team option)
Jae Crowder wanted more guaranteed contract, less responsibility if they not make playoff(big success for Suns if they make it)
no more travel after 1-2 years!
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,859

Post#310 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 2:42 pm

Glad we didn't spend that money on him, he's a nice role player but not enough of a difference maker to justify that pay cheque. Plus after the draft we're loaded with 3&D talent so I would rather save that $ for a legitimate third option next summer.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#311 » by DBoys » Fri Dec 4, 2020 11:42 pm

arkuo wrote:Seens like we offered the full MLE to Crowder but got turned down.

The radio interview in Phoenix is the only source, and all we know is that in some way, the Mavs offered "more." But it could not have been an offer for "the full MLE" because the Mavs MLE wouldn't have been more than the Suns' MLE. That means it had to be a sign-and-trade concept being explored, and those have to be 3-year deals.

The logical guess is that the Suns offered 3 fully-guaranteed years, while the Mavs were offering a bigger amount in year one but nothing guaranteed in years 2 and 3.

Crowder landing in Phoenix is no big deal, really. He has moments where he plays well, but just as many where he's awful and can't shoot. He's better than nothing, of course, but maybe Johnson will prove to be even more useful.

Return to Dallas Mavericks