ImageImageImage

Trade Discussion 20/21

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

JJP
Junior
Posts: 402
And1: 70
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1461 » by JJP » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:40 pm

Mr B wrote:JRich can get $12M this season rebuild his stock and then get a contract that averages $12M per on a 4 year deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'm curious why you think this is likely? To me, "rebuilding his stock" is actually the least likely thing that would happen in my mind. Why would JRich get suddenly good enough to break into the starting lineup again? The Mavs will likely try to upgrade that position. I don't think they are going "experiment" with JRich for another season. They just did that! They are going to experiment with another player at that position not named JRich. I suspect the Mavs front office will tell his agent exactly that.

JRich is looking at a 2021-2022 season where his minutes (and his value) are most likely going to decline from previous seasons if he is still with this organization. I think the playoff evidence is pretty clear. He needs a shot with a new team now. Since he will have an expiring contract, lots of teams will be willing to see if he's a fit.
Mr B
General Manager
Posts: 7,621
And1: 1,855
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1462 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:20 am

JJP wrote:
Mr B wrote:JRich can get $12M this season rebuild his stock and then get a contract that averages $12M per on a 4 year deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'm curious why you think this is likely? To me, "rebuilding his stock" is actually the least likely thing that would happen in my mind. Why would JRich get suddenly good enough to break into the starting lineup again? The Mavs will likely try to upgrade that position. I don't think they are going "experiment" with JRich for another season. They just did that! They are going to experiment with another player at that position not named JRich. I suspect the Mavs front office will tell his agent exactly that.

JRich is looking at a 2021-2022 season where his minutes (and his value) are most likely going to decline from previous seasons if he is still with this organization. I think the playoff evidence is pretty clear. He needs a shot with a new team now. Since he will have an expiring contract, lots of teams will be willing to see if he's a fit.

Because he will get to go through an entire off season and training camp with the team. He didn’t get that last year. It’s not unthinkable that with a full training camp he would be able to break back into the starting lineup.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,302
And1: 763
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1463 » by arkuo » Tue Jun 8, 2021 12:37 pm

can sign and trades be combined? Here's an idea.

KP to Chicago for Markannen + Thad Young + Aminu

I think Chicago will roll the dice to keep Lavine. Shows them they are sincere in making moves to keep him.

Markannen is more friendly with Luka anyway. Young and Aminu can be the rugged types that Carlisle is looking for.
JJP
Junior
Posts: 402
And1: 70
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1464 » by JJP » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:05 pm

Mr B wrote:Because he will get to go through an entire off season and training camp with the team. He didn’t get that last year. It’s not unthinkable that with a full training camp he would be able to break back into the starting lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Well you're right about that. It's not unthinkable.

I just have trouble thinking JRich would think that's the best thing for him. That's an incredible gamble assuming he can get equal pay and a fresh start elsewhere.
41Dirk41
Sophomore
Posts: 186
And1: 48
Joined: Mar 26, 2021
     

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1465 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:38 pm

arkuo wrote:can sign and trades be combined? Here's an idea.

KP to Chicago for Markannen + Thad Young + Aminu

I think Chicago will roll the dice to keep Lavine. Shows them they are sincere in making moves to keep him.

Markannen is more friendly with Luka anyway. Young and Aminu can be the rugged types that Carlisle is looking for.


Thad Young should be a terrific fit, great player.

I would try Markannen but with a great rim protector...

Aminu is done.
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,302
And1: 763
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1466 » by arkuo » Tue Jun 8, 2021 5:36 pm

Saw this trade online.

Kleber + Melli + 2nd rounder for Marcus Smart

S&T THJ for Will Barton and get Richaun Holmes on board. Doesn't rock the boat too much. Keep Porzingis at PF, let Holmes man the paint.

Barton + Smart flanking Luka on D should be enough. Like I said, it would be ideal to only start one of DFS, KP or Kleber. In this case, you start KP, DFS goes to the 2nd unit, Kleber gets sent out for an upgrade. It makes sense.

On Defense:
C- Holmes / WCS / Boban
PF - Porzingis / Powell
SF - Doncic / DFS
SG - Barton / Green
PG - Smart / Brunson / Burke

That's KP and Luka surrounded by 3 capable defenders. Smart, Barton and DFS should be able to handle all wing players and guards. That's more than enough defensive help.
Bnice5
Sophomore
Posts: 134
And1: 46
Joined: Oct 17, 2020
   

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1467 » by Bnice5 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:49 pm

arkuo wrote:Saw this trade online.

Kleber + Melli + 2nd rounder for Marcus Smart

S&T THJ for Will Barton and get Richaun Holmes on board. Doesn't rock the boat too much. Keep Porzingis at PF, let Holmes man the paint.

Barton + Smart flanking Luka on D should be enough. Like I said, it would be ideal to only start one of DFS, KP or Kleber. In this case, you start KP, DFS goes to the 2nd unit, Kleber gets sent out for an upgrade. It makes sense.

On Defense:
C- Holmes / WCS / Boban
PF - Porzingis / Powell
SF - Doncic / DFS
SG - Barton / Green
PG - Smart / Brunson / Burke

That's KP and Luka surrounded by 3 capable defenders. Smart, Barton and DFS should be able to handle all wing players and guards. That's more than enough defensive help.


Marcus Smart and Holmes would be at the top of my list of players to get here this offseason. If you could find a way to turn Powell into Lauri Markkanen i like that too. next up would be another playmaking guard/wing type... no interest in Boban back... swap him with Willy Hernangomez for 3M... also a Luka pal, but fits the same mold as Holmes and WCS in playstyle.

C- Holmes/WCS/Hernangomez
PF - KP / Lauri / Bey
SF - DFS/ Green / Bey
SG - Smart / THJ / Terry
PG - Luka / Brunson/Terry
41Dirk41
Sophomore
Posts: 186
And1: 48
Joined: Mar 26, 2021
     

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1468 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:04 pm

Luka
Smart
DeRozan
Markannen
Holmes (Turner)

Do you like this starting 5? Maybe lack in shooting...
JJP
Junior
Posts: 402
And1: 70
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1469 » by JJP » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:55 am

41Dirk41 wrote:Luka
Smart
DeRozan
Markannen
Holmes (Turner)

Do you like this starting 5? Maybe lack in shooting...


I like it, but I just can't get around DeRozan's total disregard for the 3-point shot. Still, there's nothing really wrong with that lineup assuming Lauren could be taught defense. If he can't then DFS starts and Lauren comes off the bench.
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,302
And1: 763
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1470 » by arkuo » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:18 am

Bnice5 wrote:
arkuo wrote:Saw this trade online.

Kleber + Melli + 2nd rounder for Marcus Smart

S&T THJ for Will Barton and get Richaun Holmes on board. Doesn't rock the boat too much. Keep Porzingis at PF, let Holmes man the paint.

Barton + Smart flanking Luka on D should be enough. Like I said, it would be ideal to only start one of DFS, KP or Kleber. In this case, you start KP, DFS goes to the 2nd unit, Kleber gets sent out for an upgrade. It makes sense.

On Defense:
C- Holmes / WCS / Boban
PF - Porzingis / Powell
SF - Doncic / DFS
SG - Barton / Green
PG - Smart / Brunson / Burke

That's KP and Luka surrounded by 3 capable defenders. Smart, Barton and DFS should be able to handle all wing players and guards. That's more than enough defensive help.


Marcus Smart and Holmes would be at the top of my list of players to get here this offseason. If you could find a way to turn Powell into Lauri Markkanen i like that too. next up would be another playmaking guard/wing type... no interest in Boban back... swap him with Willy Hernangomez for 3M... also a Luka pal, but fits the same mold as Holmes and WCS in playstyle.

C- Holmes/WCS/Hernangomez
PF - KP / Lauri / Bey
SF - DFS/ Green / Bey
SG - Smart / THJ / Terry
PG - Luka / Brunson/Terry


I think Wil Barton can handle a bit of playmaking. He does that secondary ball handler with Jokic in Denver now. And there is a metric where he placed 5th in the league for two way players, I think. Anyone who works with Jokic should in theory work with Luka too.

Barton has 1 more year left on his contract as opposed to THJ who will have 4 or 5 years on a fresh contract. That gives Dallas flexibility in case it doesn't work.

On paper, Barton + Smart should be able to handle any wing on D. Luka can focus on the offensive side.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,568
And1: 410
Joined: Dec 21, 2018
     

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1471 » by DJ_3_Ball » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:26 am

I'm not sure any deal gets down between Mavs & Celts without KP & Kemba being involved. Not now that it's public Boston wanted to trade Kemba for Jrue Holiday
JJP
Junior
Posts: 402
And1: 70
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1472 » by JJP » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:36 am

Kemba hasn't been happy all year so rumors have it. He knew about Ainge wanting to trade him for awhile. He would have to rest that knee and the Mavs would have to get assurances... but I could definitely see that kind of trade happening.
Mr B
General Manager
Posts: 7,621
And1: 1,855
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1473 » by Mr B » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:30 am

JJP wrote:Kemba hasn't been happy all year so rumors have it. He knew about Ainge wanting to trade him for awhile. He would have to rest that knee and the Mavs would have to get assurances... but I could definitely see that kind of trade happening.

Straight up Kemba for KP?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JJP
Junior
Posts: 402
And1: 70
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1474 » by JJP » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:20 pm

Mr B wrote:
JJP wrote:Kemba hasn't been happy all year so rumors have it. He knew about Ainge wanting to trade him for awhile. He would have to rest that knee and the Mavs would have to get assurances... but I could definitely see that kind of trade happening.

Straight up Kemba for KP?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Probably not. Kemba has more miles, so I'm not sure the Mavs would like this given the knee. Maybe a draft pick and some rotation players exchanged. Smart may be too big of an ask.
41Dirk41
Sophomore
Posts: 186
And1: 48
Joined: Mar 26, 2021
     

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1475 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:43 pm

Anyone on Josh Jackson? He have a lot of potential but bad attitude...
ejs78
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,537
And1: 323
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1476 » by ejs78 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:46 pm

Hos attitude has changed alot here in Detroit. Casey has no issues with him.
41Dirk41 wrote:Anyone on Josh Jackson? He have a lot of potential but bad attitude...


Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
BlazersBroncos
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,517
And1: 4,164
Joined: Oct 27, 2016

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1477 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:58 pm

Anyone on Josh Jackson? He have a lot of potential but bad attitude...


A team that wants to win playoff games shouldnt be looking to add Josh Jackson to the rotation. Maybe at the VM but he is owed 5M that he is not worth. If he wasnt a former top pick no one would think twice about him.

If you want a cheap, athletic defender just run after RHJ for the VM. He actually can give hard playing minutes and knows his limitations.

Straight up Kemba for KP?


For Dallas to lose the cap space in the salary difference between these two I would want 16 and potentially Robert Williams as well in return. I think Wiggins is a better target than Kemba at this point.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,568
And1: 410
Joined: Dec 21, 2018
     

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1478 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:50 am

41Dirk41 wrote:Anyone on Josh Jackson? He have a lot of potential but bad attitude...


Hmmm. He's younger than I thought he was. I didn't really understand why he didn't latch on with Memphis. That seemed like a good situation for him.

I like the skill set, but in order for Jackson to continue to grow (and be worth a signing, even at the minimum), he'll require minutes. Carlisle isn't the right coach for a guy like this.

I think it's in Jackson's best interest to go somewhere with a more defined role available and a coach who will be patient with him. Jackson needs to go somewhere like Orlando.
arkuo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,302
And1: 763
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1479 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:30 am

41Dirk41 wrote:Anyone on Josh Jackson? He have a lot of potential but bad attitude...



Let's get the starters first before we fill out the bench. Donnie is big on reclamation projects like this. But let's get legit starters first.
JJP
Junior
Posts: 402
And1: 70
Joined: Jul 04, 2020
   

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#1480 » by JJP » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:13 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:For Dallas to lose the cap space in the salary difference between these two I would want 16 and potentially Robert Williams as well in return. I think Wiggins is a better target than Kemba at this point.


Wiggins may be someone they actually look seriously at since salaries are comparable.

The front office is still enamored with someone who can "spread the floor," so they very likely would need to have another big man coming in from another trade to make the team offense the way it's designed.

Return to Dallas Mavericks